Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

11 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

THAT began my hate for ol chip....I hated that trade.....just totally unnecessary....

And then compound it by giving Murray and Mathews the same money anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

And then compound it by giving Murray and Mathews the same money anyway. 

I don't think that move (or to deal DJax) had anything to do with money.  I think Chip didn't want to deal with their egos, that culture was more important than talent.  

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't think that move (or to deal DJax) had anything to do with money.  I think Chip didn't want to deal with their egos, that culture was more important than talent.  

Wasn’t part of his reasoning at the time that it had to do with paying Shady what he was set to make though? Something along those lines. I know it was a big topic point that it made no sense to trade Shady because of the money, and then pay two other RBs the same thing. 

• Like 1

This revision about why Shady was traded always baffles me, the frustration of Shady was at the time we had an absolute monster O Line that was opening up huge lanes and sometimes Shady had a tendency to run East West to find the edge rather than just hit the hole and run, you'll never find the threads on it now the old boards are gone but it wasn't an uncommon opinion that for all the yards he got, he could sometimes maybe get more if he just ran it straight up.

Chips mistake on that trade was immediately falling out with Evan Mathis meaning by the time he signed a one cut downhill guy like Murray he needed a dancer like Shady because the interior line was screwed and Murray had to run east west which he was no good at. You put Murray behind out 2014 line and he'd have been Derrick Henry, instead the whole thing blew up and Chip was gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Wasn’t part of his reasoning at the time that it had to do with paying Shady what he was set to make though? Something along those lines. I know it was a big topic point that it made no sense to trade Shady because of the money, and then pay two other RBs the same thing. 

My recall ability isn’t as good as some here, but I seem to remember Shady had already been paid here - he was given a contract extension while still playing for us.  Unless you mean the move was meant to shed salary ... but we ended up paying Murray the same (if not slightly more).  Anyway, Chip can disguise his intent however he wants ... I always firmly believed he sent those 2 packing because he didn’t want to deal with their egos.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

My recall ability isn’t as good as some here, but I seem to remember Shady had already been paid here - he was given a contract extension while still playing for us.  Unless you mean the move was meant to shed salary ... but we ended up paying Murray the same (if not slightly more).  Anyway, Chip can disguise his intent however he wants ... I always firmly believed he sent those 2 packing because he didn’t want to deal with their egos.

Yes, that’s what I was getting at, that it was said to be a salary move but he got blasted for putting it right back at the RB position anyway. 

You could be right though. It’s not a stretch that their egos were more forefront in his mind in spite of what he said. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This revision about why Shady was traded always baffles me, the frustration of Shady was at the time we had an absolute monster O Line that was opening up huge lanes and sometimes Shady had a tendency to run East West to find the edge rather than just hit the hole and run, you'll never find the threads on it now the old boards are gone but it wasn't an uncommon opinion that for all the yards he got, he could sometimes maybe get more if he just ran it straight up.

Chips mistake on that trade was immediately falling out with Evan Mathis meaning by the time he signed a one cut downhill guy like Murray he needed a dancer like Shady because the interior line was screwed and Murray had to run east west which he was no good at. You put Murray behind out 2014 line and he'd have been Derrick Henry, instead the whole thing blew up and Chip was gone.

Evan Mathis is still one of my favorite eagles 😆. Kelce Herremans and Mathis on the inside was nasty. Add in JP and Lane, boy was that fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Agreed. That is what I thought also. First they cut ties with Shady, we got a trash linebacker and saved a bunch of money in return. Then we turned around and blew all that cash on an overused washed up scrub like Murray... and a cowboy nonetheless. 

On 11/3/2020 at 10:18 AM, time2rock said:

I recall an article where Ertz implied that Shady (and maybe Jackson) weren't  great 'locker room presences'. He didn't name names, from what I remember, but he said something along the lines that there were a few people who were more concerned with personal stats than they were with wins and losses and once changes were made, they became more of a team as opposed to being a group of individuals. 

It's been a few years since I saw that, it was either an article or it might have been an interview on NBC Sports Philadelphia. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I recall an article where Ertz implied that Shady (and maybe Jackson) weren't  great 'locker room presences'. He didn't name names, from what I remember, but he said something along the lines that there were a few people who were more concerned with personal stats than they were with wins and losses and once changes were made, they became more of a team as opposed to being a group of individuals. 

It's been a few years since I saw that, it was either an article or it might have been an interview on NBC Sports Philadelphia. 

And it was pretty clear from Shady and Desean’s comments alone that this was true. All about being "stars” and mad because Chip wasn’t treating them like "stars.” 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:48 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

that there were a few people who were more concerned with personal stats than they were with wins and losses and once changes were made, they became more of a team as opposed to being a group of individuals. 

The same could be said for Ertz this season

The whole Shady/Jackson thing was Chip being an egomaniac and wanting the players to be robots. The whole DeSean is a crip thing came out straight after they cut him to make it look like Chip got rid of him for being a gangbanger. Shady was salty with Chip over the whole thing so in his powerplay he traded Shady out. Chip was a freaking moron that thought he didn't need personnel and his system was elite and would work with anyone. 

• Like 3

On 11/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, QBhunter58 said:

Evan Mathis is still one of my favorite eagles 😆. Kelce Herremans and Mathis on the inside was nasty. Add in JP and Lane, boy was that fun.

He was one of my all time favorites too, I wish he had a longer stint in Philly. When I look back at players that I was legit bummed when they left Philly in FA, Mathis is up there. Everything about him seemed like he’d a be an awesome dude to grab a beer with. His twitter account was hilarious. 

I also think that like Brandon Brooks, he didn’t get enough recognition across the league for guard play. The dude was a beast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

He was one of my all time favorites too, I wish he had a longer stint in Philly. When I look back at players that I was legit bummed when they left Philly in FA, Mathis is up there. Everything about him seemed like he’d a be an awesome dude to grab a beer with. His twitter account was hilarious. 

I also think that like Brandon Brooks, he didn’t get enough recognition across the league for guard play. The dude was a beast.

Well he was a journeyman back up guard for 6 years until he played for the Eagles then when he was cut he bounced in and out if the lineup for the broncos for 1 year and then cut and went to the cardinals for 1 year then out of the league.

So spending more time on the bench then actually being good isn't going to get you recognition. 

Malcom Jenkins led the Saints to a win with five tackles and an interception of Tom Terrific two days after buying lunch for 300 poll workers in Philly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Malcom Jenkins led the Saints to a win with five tackles and an interception of Tom Terrific two days after buying lunch for 300 poll workers in Philly. 

People loved to criticize him here but he still had quite a bit left in the tank.  Would have loved to see him and Slay together in the secondary.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

People loved to criticize him here but he still had quite a bit left in the tank.  Would have loved to see him and Slay together in the secondary.  

Agreed, a major screw up by Howie. Even Banner, who rarely criticizes the front office, didn’t understand it. 

9 minutes ago, Runtherock said:

Agreed, a major screw up by Howie. Even Banner, who rarely criticizes the front office, didn’t understand it. 

I think they didn't want to give in to his demands/threat to hold out and pay him more.  Funny - they didn't want to take that approach with the guy who still could play at a relatively high level but did so with the guy who couldn't (Peters).  The extra money they gave to Peters?  Should have given it to Jenkins instead.     

• Like 5

He didn't really sign for more money in his new contract. He basically just got 2 years guaranteed. So now we're mad at the Eagles for already having him under contract for what he eventually signed for after his release. 

I miss having his durability on the team, but Mills hasn't done a terrible job replacing him at 3/5 the cost.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He didn't really sign for more money in his new contract. He basically just got 2 years guaranteed. So now we're mad at the Eagles for already having him under contract for what he eventually signed for after his release. 

I miss having his durability on the team, but Mills hasn't done a terrible job replacing him at 3/5 the cost.

Yup, he's the guy who said he wouldn't be back to play under his current contract. It's what we do though, look at players that leave and expect the office to know the exact moment they're going to suck and then **** about it, or look at players that we kept and expect the office to know the exact moment they're going to suck and **** about it. Don't even get me started on all the ****ing and crying over players we never even get (Metcalf and his injury) and then the ones we do (Jones and his injury).

Wait, we're mad at the Eagles for Malcolm Jenkins saying he wanted to be paid Top 3 at his position and then taking almost the exact same money as the Eagles were paying him and from many accounts, what the Eagles would have paid him to play for the Saints, which was $11 million per year more than he said he was worth? 

I'll be back. I'm going to go find a planet where that f'ing makes any sense. 

3+4=33

No

3+4=12

No

Yep. I'll be back. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 1:14 AM, Runtherock said:

That's probably not all Malcolm X bought at the polls...

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ronald Darby, acquired by the Eagles from the Bills for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick after a meh start in Buffalo, awarded a starter role and designated the Eagles "best cornerback” before playing a practice rep, proved yet again on Thanksgiving that he is one of the absolute worse cornerbacks in the NFL. Teflon Howie.

8 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Ronald Darby, acquired by the Eagles from the Bills for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick after a meh start in Buffalo, awarded a starter role and designated the Eagles "best cornerback” before playing a practice rep, proved yet again on Thanksgiving that he is one of the absolute worse cornerbacks in the NFL. Teflon Howie.

And yet contributed to a SB winning season. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 8:42 AM, brkmsn said:

Mills missed three key tackles in the Browns game and two of them the guy basically jumped over him. He also fell for the laziest double move ever. Mills stinks as a safety. Also considering how much money this team is wasting on players doing nothing for them (JJAW, Peters, Johnson, Jeffery, and Jackson just to name a few) I think we could have dumped a lot of other guys over him.