Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Can't compare those guys to this era... When you get into the mid to late 90's they started throwing to backs more. Even then Mccoy is still 3rd in receiving yards on the Eagles alone. Walker Watters and Westbrook all have similar rushing and or receiving stats to McCoy and none of them are getting in.  He is 38th in all purpose yards all time and there is a bunch of running backs that will never get in ahead of him. 

I'm not trying to make a case for McCoy getting in. I think he'll be considered, but that's about it.

However, there's no reason we can't compare RBs from different eras. If anything, RBs tend to get less carries now than the "old days." They are also more likely to be part of a committee than they used to. They are also asked to be better blockers than HBs of the past (with the disappearance of FBs which also is a bit of a disadvantage as a runner). As far as catching the football, it was a big part of what players like Marcus Allen, Roger Craig, Keith Byars did even before the mid to late 90s. Football isn't as different as we make it out to be sometimes. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not trying to make a case for McCoy getting in. I think he'll be considered, but that's about it.

However, there's no reason we can't compare RBs from different eras. If anything, RBs tend to get less carries now than the "old days." They are also more likely to be part of a committee than they used to. They are also asked to be better blockers than HBs of the past (with the disappearance of FBs which also is a bit of a disadvantage as a runner). As far as catching the football, it was a big part of what players like Marcus Allen, Roger Craig, Keith Byars did even before the mid to late 90s. Football isn't as different as we make it out to be sometimes. 

Good points I didn't take some of that into consideration

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Former Eagles CB Rasul Douglas joins the LV Raiders.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/raiders-sign-rasul-douglas/

Damn, no contract details. I really want to know if Douglas and Jones played as well as the EMB seems to believe or if it was just GM/Schwartz hate that was driving the hype of their performances last year. I'm guessing his play was overstated quite a bit if he had to wait this long in the offseason to sign and the Panthers didn't do more to keep him, but this is a wonky offseason, so who knows?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Damn, no contract details. I really want to know if Douglas and Jones played as well as the EMB seems to believe or if it was just GM/Schwartz hate that was driving the hype of their performances last year. I'm guessing his play was overstated quite a bit if he had to wait this long in the offseason to sign and the Panthers didn't do more to keep him, but this is a wonky offseason, so who knows?

I'd venture a guess that the truth was somewhere in between (he played better than he did here but not as good as some made it out to seem).  Then again, CB play here sets an extremely low bar, so ... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, metal said:

Will Parks signed with KC

Kinda like LJ Fort, he was never really given an opportunity here.  Shame.

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I forgot he was even available. It would have made some sense, but on the other hand he barely played here and in Denver last year. Maybe he's just not that good. 🤷‍♂️

I will watch Carson Wentz with interest this year. I wish him lots of success, health, happiness, and at least 70% of the snaps. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Didn't help he started the season off hurt and by the time he could play the secondary was already a mess, so really no structure for him to succeed or play well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Didn't help he started the season off hurt and by the time he could play the secondary was already a mess, so really no structure for him to succeed or play well. 

I don't recall the timing of the injury but he wasn't placed on IR until October.  Anyway, water under the bridge ... we have Harris now.  :-)

On 5/6/2021 at 10:35 AM, CouchKing said:

I will watch Carson Wentz with interest this year. I wish him lots of success, health, happiness, and at least 70% of the snaps. 

once he garners the team a 1st round pick i hope he gets the worst case of hemorrhoids like he gave me last season watching him try and play QB

• Haha 1

If we trade Ertz, we can bring back Brent Celek.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:35 AM, CouchKing said:

I only wish him 70% of the snaps.

13 minutes ago, SB52 said:

I only wish him 70% of the snaps.

If he plays 70%, then Indy has to make the playoffs, which likely puts our pick in the early to mid 20’s but no better than 18th. The best case scenario is he plays 75% and Indy misses the playoffs. 

On 4/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, time2rock said:

I'd venture a guess that the truth was somewhere in between (he played better than he did here but not as good as some made it out to seem).  Then again, CB play here sets an extremely low bar, so ... 

People were making it seem like Jones was Deon Sanders level corner when he left here, but his numbers were basically Eagles level numbers last season. Between Agholor, Jones, and Douglas (all were touted as being significantly better after leaving the Eagles) only Jones was resigned by the team he went to after leaving the Eagles. So if these guys were so great why didn’t their new teams want them back? On top of that Jones was given a one year cheap deal. They don’t view him as the next big thing. 
7CE53136-AD14-476E-8F2D-DF5D12B55FE1.thumb.png.8e866ce331c1c460daade9d039ae0b2a.png

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:57 AM, Kz! said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/rasul-douglas-21841/

Might be incentive based, but according to this he’s not even getting a mil based salary and he’s on a one year deal. I don’t think these guys were as vastly improved as people want to make them out to be. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, vaeagle2 said:

once he garners the team a 1st round pick i hope he gets the worst case of hemorrhoids like he gave me last season watching him try and play QB

:blink:   What were you doing while you were watching? 

7 hours ago, greend said:

:blink:   What were you doing while you were watching? 

tumblr_inline_mo7fnnJ50p1qz4rgp.gif

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2021 at 3:09 PM, CouchKing said:

If we trade Ertz, we can bring back Brent Celek.

For 2 catches for 2 yards? Sign me up.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

If he plays 70%, then Indy has to make the playoffs, which likely puts our pick in the early to mid 20’s but no better than 18th. The best case scenario is he plays 75% and Indy misses the playoffs. 

Best case scenario is that Indy plays well (along with Wentz), that he hits 75%, and they fall short of the playoffs in the last week of the season.  That gets them a pick in the mid/late teens.

If they are far from playoff contention, it's likely because Wentz isn't playing well.  They'd probably pull the plug at that point and drop our pick to round 2.  That would still leave us feeling OK about the trade (we'd be glad we got anything for him at that point), but it obviously helps us less.

30 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Best case scenario is that Indy plays well (along with Wentz), that he hits 75%, and they fall short of the playoffs in the last week of the season.  That gets them a pick in the mid/late teens.

If they are far from playoff contention, it's likely because Wentz isn't playing well.  They'd probably pull the plug at that point and drop our pick to round 2.  That would still leave us feeling OK about the trade (we'd be glad we got anything for him at that point), but it obviously helps us less.

I would think the best case is Indy loses more because of their defense. That way, their losses pile up, and there's no reason to pull Wentz.