Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

27 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Yeah, but the question is do the Flyers send a pick to Seattle in an effort to get Seattle to use their pick on him to protect their other young guys.  Similar to how other teams unloaded contracts or protected other players from Vegas by sending other assets to Vegas instead.

They can protect every important young player eligible without sending picks to Vegas, I posted what the protected list will likely look like a few days ago. 

Edit: reposted below

On 8/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, devpool said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt they are exposing Patrick and lindblom. Voracek is very likely going to be exposed. An aging forward with a huge contract and there are a ton of promising young forwards in the system right now.

Provorov sanheim and myers are all getting protected, there is almost zero chance that there's even a discussion about this at the organization. 

Your protected players are likely going to look something like this:

F(7): G, Coots, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Farabee 

D(3): Provorov, Sanheim, Myers

G(1): Hart

Flyers will likely go the 7F 3D 1G route vice the 8 skaters 1 G route as the latter exposes too many young forwards to the draft and they really only have the big 3 D right now who really need protection (Provy, Sanheim, Myers). 

Farabee and frost likely will not be exempt by the time of that draft (they only need 40 games played in the pervious season or 70 across past 2 seasons) so they round out the last two forward slots.

The big names who may be exposed are ghost, hayes, jvr, and voracek. Out of those, if I'm Seattle, I'm going voracek unless he falls off a cliff between now and the draft or if one of those other guys looks great between now and then. From the flyers perspective, if everyone plays at their current level between now and then, I would love it if they took JVR. He's not terrible, but as it stands right now he's the most expendable. Unfortunately for us he played his best hockey in Toronto and he probably won't return to that level as he gets older.

Of course it's also possible the flyers either give a pick or two Seattle to poach someone the flyers are fine with losing or Seattle can go the Vegas route and choose someone no one cares about for free (Bellemare, but I doubt we get that lucky twice).

All of this is based on the players continuing on their current projections, obviously things change if someone breaks out or falls off a cliff, but if the expansion draft were held tomorrow your protected group is probably going to look very similar to who I listed above.

25 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Yeah, but the question is do the Flyers send a pick to Seattle in an effort to get Seattle to use their pick on him to protect their other young guys.  Similar to how other teams unloaded contracts or protected other players from Vegas by sending other assets to Vegas instead.

• Like 1

So there’s one hiccup in your post, which is that Hayes has a NMC in the first three years of his contract. This means The Flyers automatically have to use one of their spots on him. They don’t have a choice.

So you have to pick 5 from: TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Farabee, voracek, Couturier jvr, Pitlick and possible NAK (not sure if playoff games count towards the games count for eligibility). They may be able to sneak Frost out of eligibility if they don’t call him up until late next season.

Defense you are right, but that you’ll probably leave ghost or hagg. However, if Ghost continues on his rise the Flyers may think twice about letting him go.  

All I’m saying is, the Flyers will have far more exposed assets this time around then when Vegas was picking. So they may have to sweeten the deal to make sure seattle takes who they want them to take. 

54 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

So there’s one hiccup in your post, which is that Hayes has a NMC in the first three years of his contract. This means The Flyers automatically have to use one of their spots on him. They don’t have a choice.

So you have to pick 5 from: TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Farabee, voracek, Couturier jvr, Pitlick and possible NAK (not sure if playoff games count towards the games count for eligibility). They may be able to sneak Frost out of eligibility if they don’t call him up until late next season.

Defense you are right, but that you’ll probably leave ghost or hagg. However, if Ghost continues on his rise the Flyers may think twice about letting him go.  

All I’m saying is, the Flyers will have far more exposed assets this time around then when Vegas was picking. So they may have to sweeten the deal to make sure seattle takes who they want them to take. 

I pick TK, coots, frost, farabee and lindbolm (Flyers May choose Patrick/NAK over him). Frankly i don’t think it’s the end of the world if seattle took JVR or voracek off our hands with the contracts they have and they are aging. I love voracek but i could see using that money if seattle selected him. Basically JVR has a similar contract except ends one year earlier. 

would suck to lose JVR or Voracek? Yes. However with the cap savings by seattle taking one of them you likely could go to the FA market and find a FA that’s in their prime and pay them. After next year jake has 3 years left at big money at ages 33-35 and JVR 2 years left at big money ages 32-33. There’s a chance both aren’t near the same player over those years. 

I don’t see Seattle taking JVR or Voracek unless they either (a) needed to get to the cap floor or (b) the flyers sent a draft pick or player to make it happen.  Of the Two, voracek is the more likely player even if he’s approaching 35 at the end of the contract.

TK Coots are locks. I’d probably protect Farabee and lindblom, see if I can manipulate games played to hide Frost, then use the last pick on Patrick if healthy, if not NAK.  That leaves jvr voracek Pitlick, Patrick/NAK, and Laughton unprotected. (As well as grant, etc.)

prov Sanheim and Myers on defense hart at g. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I don’t see Seattle taking JVR or Voracek unless they either (a) needed to get to the cap floor or (b) the flyers sent a draft pick or player to make it happen.  Of the Two, voracek is the more likely player even if he’s approaching 35 at the end of the contract.

TK Coots are locks. I’d probably protect Farabee and lindblom, see if I can manipulate games played to hide Frost, then use the last pick on Patrick if healthy, if not NAK.  That leaves jvr voracek Pitlick, Patrick/NAK, and Laughton unprotected. (As well as grant, etc.)

prov Sanheim and Myers on defense hart at g. 

Will they? Idk. Depends like you said on getting to the cap floor or maybe they want a somewhat proven first line type player to attract fans (  would have to see who else is there in the expansion draft) Or we convince them to do so with a draft pick. If seattle did take one of them I’d expect it to be voracek i think he is the better overall player and likely ages better. Like i said it may actually benefit us if one of them gets chosen to have that money freed up to go after a younger player entering his prime years. 

Kind of get the feeling the flyers are smart enough to see down the road and already thought of how to keep frost by hiding him from being eligible. I think the most likely to be selected if they hide frost and keep Patrick would be laughton or NAK. 

18 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If I'm Seattle I would want nothing to do with Voracek and JVR.  One is aging and losing a step and the other is severely overrated.  

I’m hoping that they view it otherwise but i tend to agree. It’s why i wouldn’t protect them. Frankly i dislike both of their contracts and JVR when they initially signed him back. I could live with voracek but i thought JVR the money could’ve been spent better and elsewhere down the road. I’m hoping their contracts don’t become a hinderance down the road when they want to make a move 

3 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Good catch on the NMC, I didn't even check I thought it was just an NTC but that's the later years.. They can ask Hayes to waive his NMC for the draft, if he doesn't then they should expose Patrick. I don't want them to give up on him but I don't want to risk losing one of the other young guys to protect a dude who just missed an entire season and who is even more at risk to be on hit away from his career ending. Every player is always at risk but with this migraine issue he is significantly more likely to have a career ending head injury.

I just don't see the team giving up a pick when they really aren't going to be hurt too bad by anyone they lose unless ghost suddenly turns back into rookie year ghost, and even then would he be doing it consistently? He's also much older than the other 3, there is no way he gets protected over any of them. So if they wanted to protect the 4 of them they would have to revert to the 8 skaters 1 G and that would expose even more of the young forwards to the draft. 

So swap patrick for Hayes in my original post and that's likely the protected list for the flyers. 

So, Wed night, Fri afternoon, Sunday night...  and then we can look at who our 2nd round opponent will be?

I know, I know, knock on wood. 😄

This lottery show sucks. I really don’t need a detail about each team and then bettman confirming it’s the teams logo. 

Just now, Blazehound said:

F the Rags

Right? Felt like it was going to be pens or rags to win it.

I still don’t get that lottery. It should’ve been a regular lottery just because you missed the playoffs in the qualifying round doesn’t mean you should get  1/8 chance At the top pick when there’s seven other teams that also missed the playoffs and didn’t even get a chance to qualify For the playoffs. 

Anyone have an update on the prospects coming up besides the more well know like frost and York? Out in Az don’t get a bunch of coverage of the younger prospects would love to know. Like haven’t heard anything on jay O’Brien 

All day long on Twitter rangers fans were complaining about not have the first overall pick since like 1969 like they didn't just have #2 overall last year.

Hopefully their new goaltender ends up being just OK instead of a new lundqvist and kakko doesn't improve from last season 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Anyone have an update on the prospects coming up besides the more well know like frost and York? Out in Az don’t get a bunch of coverage of the younger prospects would love to know. Like haven’t heard anything on jay O’Brien 

Frost is in a weird predicament.  He's got 34 games in this year which means he's below the eligibility mark for the expansion draft.  If he plays 36 games or more next year, however, at the NHL level he becomes eligible for the NHL expansion draft.  If he plays next year, it will likely be in the second half of the year to keep him under the 70 games over two seasons rule. 

I believe O'Brien is going to BU, though with COVID that plan could change again. 

BroadStreetHockey just completed a series on each of the Flyers prospects.  I'd recommend checking out there "2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers prospect review" series. 

• Like 1

The overtime between tampa and Columbus has been great action. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The overtime between tampa and Columbus has been great action. 

Haha thought for sure this would be over.  Pleasantly surprised its still going! Man I love playoff hockey!

• Like 1

How these players still have legs to be going back and forth on these long breakouts in overtime 4 is incredible.  Also, some phenomenal saves by the goalies this period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Haha thought for sure this would be over.  Pleasantly surprised its still going! Man I love playoff hockey!

image.gif.9f56298f5af1f8a2d5f2d0317676bc48.gif

• Like 1

Holy ish, this is still going on?  The Columbus goalies has made 85 saves.  Shows you how much ESPN sucks when this story isn't anywhere to be found on their homepage.  They really do hate the NHL.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Holy ish, this is still going on?  The Columbus goalies has made 85 saves.  Shows you how much ESPN sucks when this story isn't anywhere to be found on their homepage.  They really do hate the NHL.

I think ESPN is still bitter at the NHL for when the lockout happened and the NHL didn’t re-up with just ESPN agreements after the lockout ended and decided to go to with another network and espn opted out of their last two years. I truly believe ESPN thought the NHL with flounder and come crawling back to them. Meanwhile NBC really saved the NHL from having to go with espn with their TV deal

Precisely, it actually makes a lot of sense. If you look at the sports that ESPN caters to the most it’s all sports they have a tv contract for.  Building up excitement for the sport, builds ratings for your broadcast of that sport. Essentially sportscenter and espn.com is as much content as it is an advertisement for their live sports. The discuss the bare minimum for hockey for the sake of credibility But anything above that yields no return on investment. 

If next season the NHL inked a deal for Wednesday night hockey, I guarantee you see an increase in coverage on espn and the nhl tab on the espn.com move back to front of the pack. But until that happens, espn has no financial incentive to cover hockey.

• Like 1

These games today have been awesome. All three have been competitive and full of action.