HBO Max

Gannan

21 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

yep, fantastic is a great word. Also through two episodes so far. 

Some of the Philadelphia tie ins/lingo try a LITTLE too hard, but this is still probably the best Philly area adaptation I've ever seen. Some of the general styles and personalities makes you feel like you're watching some family/old neighbors on the screen. Also, the story is intriguing enough too, with the prior missing girls case being dismissed as the current

Reveal hidden contents

dead girl

takes precedence. 

just realized I'm current with this and there aren't anymore episodes I can binge. Sucks!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

just realized I'm current with this and there aren't anymore episodes I can binge. Sucks!!!

Damn HBO and not dropping the entire season at once!  

• Like 1

I watched Death Note on Netflix and started up the animated show on HBO Max. Lots of episodes for one season

It was pretty good but then dragged on big time and didn't like the end

Spoiler

It got annoying with each of them trying to one up the other. I was actually rooting for Light because the detectives L, M, and N were annoying the F out of me

I had a feeling Light was going to get caught though. They seemed to not want the "bad guy" to win in this show. His speech/confession seemed out of character and then his freak out at the end and death was bad writing

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I watched Death Note on Netflix and started up the animated show on HBO Max. Lots of episodes for one season

It was pretty good but then dragged on big time and didn't like the end

Reveal hidden contents

It got annoying with each of them trying to one up the other. I was actually rooting for Light because the detectives L, M, and N were annoying the F out of me

I had a feeling Light was going to get caught though. They seemed to not want the "bad guy" to win in this show. His speech/confession seemed out of character and then his freak out at the end and death was bad writing

Netflix's Death Note should be treated as a hate crime. Absolute atrocity, the only good thing about that ish heap was Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. Perfectly cast. Literally everyone else involved with that movie should be ashamed of themselves.

Same goes for their Fullmetal Alchemist remake, and the same will probably apply to their Avatar the Last Airbender remake. They need to stop with these remakes, they clearly don't know what they're doing with that style.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:47 PM, Mike030270 said:

Anyone have a white bar on the right side of their tv when watching something on HBO Max?

It's apparently a samsung app issue, from what I've seen....

On 4/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, mikemack8 said:

Damn HBO and not dropping the entire season at once!  

seriously probably haven't watched a series "live" since GoT. What a weird feeling not being able to just st(r)eamroll through something on demand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBENT87 said:

seriously probably haven't watched a series "live" since GoT. What a weird feeling not being able to just st(r)eamroll through something on demand. 

I still prefer weekly. I binged through The Challenge the past couple months... the early seasons were like 18 mins when the credits and commercials were cut out, and most were 10 episode season lengths. I was SHOCKED when I hit the end on Paramount Plus the other night and saw the episode count listed as TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY!!!! so that 280 + 25 for the champs-v-stars/pros, the 33 episodes on Netflix (US), and the 22ish on Hulu... thats over 350 episodes that i somehow burned through during work-from-home and evenings still being home for the most part with covid/closures/moving to a new state where i don't know people to do things with... and while it was fun, I will struggle to remember seasons and who won them even though I literally watched 2 weeks ago. 

Binged the Leftovers for the first time back in February or so. Greatly enjoyed. Was super immersed.... 10ish weeks later and I can picture faces but I can't remember more than like 5 character names. But had I lived that journey 10 weeks at a time and thought about it in 8-9 month breaks and talked about it and posted about it and got to repeat those 10 weeks two additional times over 2 years... I bet I could recall details like i had lived through those events myself. 

The binge method is GREAT for killing downtime and GREAT for getting an instant jolt of euphoria... but it doesn't leave the lasting impact and connection to something that the week to week over to course of years journey does. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I still prefer weekly. I binged through The Challenge the past couple months... the early seasons were like 18 mins when the credits and commercials were cut out, and most were 10 episode season lengths. I was SHOCKED when I hit the end on Paramount Plus the other night and saw the episode count listed as TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY!!!! so that 280 + 25 for the champs-v-stars/pros, the 33 episodes on Netflix (US), and the 22ish on Hulu... thats over 350 episodes that i somehow burned through during work-from-home and evenings still being home for the most part with covid/closures/moving to a new state where i don't know people to do things with... and while it was fun, I will struggle to remember seasons and who won them even though I literally watched 2 weeks ago. 

Binged the Leftovers for the first time back in February or so. Greatly enjoyed. Was super immersed.... 10ish weeks later and I can picture faces but I can't remember more than like 5 character names. But had I lived that journey 10 weeks at a time and thought about it in 8-9 month breaks and talked about it and posted about it and got to repeat those 10 weeks two additional times over 2 years... I bet I could recall details like i had lived through those events myself. 

The binge method is GREAT for killing downtime and GREAT for getting an instant jolt of euphoria... but it doesn't leave the lasting impact and connection to something that the week to week over to course of years journey does. 

Yup. Breaking Bad I binged the first 3 seasons and caught up, then watched as aired. Binging was fun, but having the week long wait between episodes and then months between seasons took it to another level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup. Breaking Bad I binged the first 3 seasons and caught up, then watched as aired. Binging was fun, but having the week long wait between episodes and then months between seasons took it to another level.

I have zero complaints waiting for Better Call Saul because I love that I get to enjoy this experience for yearsssssss

• Like 1

I thought "Tenet" was really really bad. I couldn't even get through the whole movie. Boring and stupid with paper thin characters. 

• Like 1

Mare of Easttown

Spoiler

Felt more like a filler episode last night.  Focusing more on the characters' personal lives than the actual case they're working.  Still good, but I'm anxious to get back to what's going on - seems like next week's episode things pick back up on that front.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:02 AM, Gannan said:

Mare of Easttown is worth watching, if for nothing else Kate Winslet's Delco accent is killer. 

On 4/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, mikemack8 said:

Mare of Easttown fantastic so far

On 4/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, Gannan said:

The second episode was extremely well done. Even better than the first. Reminds me a lot of true detective. 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:26 PM, JBENT87 said:

yep, fantastic is a great word. Also through two episodes so far. 

Some of the Philadelphia tie ins/lingo try a LITTLE too hard, but this is still probably the best Philly area adaptation I've ever seen. Some of the general styles and personalities makes you feel like you're watching some family/old neighbors on the screen. Also, the story is intriguing enough too, with the prior missing girls case being dismissed as the current

Reveal hidden contents

dead girl

takes precedence. 

Just came to the For Your Entertainment section to see if anyone has mentioned this show.  I'm really digging it so far.  Very gritty and like how they first allowed for character development and story arc without giving you all the background.  So you got to see how the characters are, but weren't given the reasons why they are the way they are upfront.  And of course whenever something is set around the DelVal area it always adds a little interest to it. 

I found out about the show when I stumbled across an online article about how films/TV never even attempt to do a 'real' Philly accent.  They all do the default Neeew Yawk/Joisey (North NJ) accent.  Winslet worked hard to try and get the accent down and I've seen a few reviews on IMDB from people in the area giving her props for her DelCo accent. 

So far for me it sort of has a similar feel as the UK's Broadchurch (the 1st season) that starred David Tennant and Olivia Coleman (there was also a US version called Gracepoint, which also starred Tennant, basically the same show just tweaked to a US style).  Looking forward to watching the rest of this show and how it all unfolds.

Also wanted to add that they do try and use local actors for the background characters on the show to give it more authenticity.  One of the writers for the show grew up around the area and HBO is letting them have creative freedom to allow them to try and get the details of the area as close as they can.  This is what I remember from the article I read.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Just came to the For Your Entertainment section to see if anyone has mentioned this show.  I'm really digging it so far.  Very gritty and like how they first allowed for character development and story arc without giving you all the background.  So you got to see how the characters are, but weren't given the reasons why they are the way they are upfront.  And of course whenever something is set around the DelVal area it always adds a little interest to it. 

I found out about the show when I stumbled across an online article about how films/TV never even attempt to do a 'real' Philly accent.  They all do the default Neeew Yawk/Joisey (North NJ) accent.  Winslet worked hard to try and get the accent down and I've seen a few reviews on IMDB from people in the area giving her props for her DelCo accent. 

So far for me it sort of has a similar feel as the UK's Broadchurch (the 1st season) that starred David Tennant and Olivia Coleman (there was also a US version called Gracepoint, which also starred Tennant, basically the same show just tweaked to a US style).  Looking forward to watching the rest of this show and how it all unfolds.

Evan Peters has done the accent pretty well so far too

• Like 2

Just now, mikemack8 said:

I didn't even recognize him at first.  It took me a few scenes until I was like "That's Quicksilver". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I didn't even recognize him at first.  It took me a few scenes until I was like "That's Quicksilver". 

:lol: I recognize him way more for his work on AHS

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

:lol: I recognize him way more for his work on AHS

He's been awesome in AHS, especially in the season where he was the cult leader. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gannan said:

He's been awesome in AHS, especially in the season where he was the cult leader. 

Yeah - what did he play, like 7 different characters in that season? 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:06 AM, Gannan said:

I thought "Tenet" was really really bad. I couldn't even get through the whole movie. Boring and stupid with paper thin characters. 

Is this movie more about Nolan trying to recreate Inception?

30 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Is this movie more about Nolan trying to recreate Inception?

That crossed my mind. I really enjoyed inception, this one didn't have any of the elements that one had. 

45 minutes ago, Gannan said:

That crossed my mind. I really enjoyed inception, this one didn't have any of the elements that one had. 

I know it was supposed to be a different kind of movie but kind of create the same kind of feel. Then read how it fell flat

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know it was supposed to be a different kind of movie but kind of create the same kind of feel. Then read how it fell flat

The premise was confusing and the character development was non existent. At one point the main character who is supposed to be this cold CIA operative is risking everything to save this chick, and they never really establish why he cares about her at all. Even the action sequences were boring. There was just nothing interesting going on with the story or the characters.

Mare of Easttown so far is pretty good. A little too much exposition and backstory IMO, but it’s still very good. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, mikemack8 said:

im in on this show. sure the philly connection is cool, but the show would hold up regardless. really well done so far. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

im in on this show. sure the philly connection is cool, but the show would hold up regardless. really well done so far. 

don't take this so literally with the different plots and all, but this almost feels like a better done "The Outsider," also from HBO.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

don't take this so literally with the different plots and all, but this almost feels like a better done "The Outsider," also from HBO.  

you know what, i've never watched the outsider. may have to put that one on my list.