HBO Max

Gannan

On 5/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, Mike030270 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

drug and prostitution ring with the boyfriend and her uncles all in it with Guy P running the show 

My thoughts after episode 6

7 minutes ago, homerpat said:

Spoiler

Seems like everyone is guilty of something in that town

Curious what the picture was. It's got to do with Dylan, Erin, and Jess I think

Isn't Erin supposed to be like 17 in the show? So the uncle is a pedo and the brother is trying to cover it up. Also the wife was going to keep the secret until Mare got it out of her

For a while I thought the book guy had something to do with the missing girls lol

Just finished watching E6 of Mare Of Easttown.  Thoughts below if you're OK delving into possible spoilers.

Spoiler

First, is she a moron for going after Billy alone without backup.  She just watched her partner get gunned down and she's going it alone.  Yeah, she knows them, they're like friends, but FFS just wait for the GD backup.

Second, IMO John was the one who got her preggers and Billy is covering for him.  That's probably what that rant was when Billy entered the dad's house (with a 12pk of Yuengling, which I bet Yuengling, Rolling Rock, and Wawa are enjoying the attention they're getting right now) and went off on John for "not being able to keep it in his pants".

Third, I've avoided reading the spoilers most of you have been posting because I don't want any preconceived ideas going into watching a new episode, but the couple above on this page I did read and the theory of a drug/prostitution ring with Dylan (not sure the uncles are involved in that, think their only involvement is incest/pedo ish and cover up) sounds on the money. 

46 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Just finished watching E6 of Mare Of Easttown.  Thoughts below if you're OK delving into possible spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

First, is she a moron for going after Billy alone without backup.  She just watched her partner get gunned down and she's going it alone.  Yeah, she knows them, they're like friends, but FFS just wait for the GD backup.

Second, IMO John was the one who got her preggers and Billy is covering for him.  That's probably what that rant was when Billy entered the dad's house (with a 12pk of Yuengling, which I bet Yuengling, Rolling Rock, and Wawa are enjoying the attention they're getting right now) and went off on John for "not being able to keep it in his pants".

Third, I've avoided reading the spoilers most of you have been posting because I don't want any preconceived ideas going into watching a new episode, but the couple above on this page I did read and the theory of a drug/prostitution ring with Dylan (not sure the uncles are involved in that, think their only involvement is incest/pedo ish and cover up) sounds on the money. 

Spoiler

Just to note, its still weird but John and Billy are cousins with Erins father, not brothers. That’s why Erin and her father are McMenamin and not Ross.  

Also, I think there are some red herrings in this episode. The "I need to hear you say it” line from John to Billy wasn’t because John wanted a confession, it was because he wanted to make sure it sounded real. Which is why shortly after Billy said he was ready to confess. Part of this is because Billy is the father of DJ but doesn’t want to admit the shame of an incestuous relationship that John is blackmailing for. I also think the kidnapping story line has to play an additional part somehow.  

Also my theory is what John told Lori was what he wanted Mare to hear. He has to know he can’t trust his almost ex wife not to tell her best friend.

• Like 1

My speculation 

just finished. My first thoughts was John is baby daddy and billy was trying to keep Erin quiet to protect his brother and maybe things went sideways. But either one of those brothers easily have to be daddy and it NOT being billy makes sense with how they like to throw us slightly off the trail  

no clue what DJ, his friend, and that Jess girl have to do with anything. Zero author theories either. 

I could "see” Erin through the back of the photo the police chief was looking at. Looked like her laying down with someone. Most likely a post-coital selfie. Only reason they would NOT have let us see it is because it’s the other brother and not billy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My speculation 

Hide contents

just finished. My first thoughts was John is baby daddy and billy was trying to keep Erin quiet to protect his brother and maybe things went sideways. But either one of those brothers easily have to be daddy and it NOT being billy makes sense with how they like to throw us slightly off the trail  

no clue what DJ, his friend, and that Jess girl have to do with anything. Zero author theories either. 

I could "see” Erin through the back of the photo the police chief was looking at. Looked like her laying down with someone. Most likely a post-coital selfie. Only reason they would NOT have let us see it is because it’s the other brother and not billy 

Spoiler

Last week I thought Dylan was the killer all along but now I think he’s burning the journals to destroy all proof of who the real father is. I think he took the kid for granted at first but ever since he heard he may not be the father he became defensive. They even threw that scene in where you thought he was going to smother the child but ended up rocking him. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

So does anyone else think Lori knows more than she's letting on?  Can't wait to see how many people are involved in this and how they wrap it all up next week.  

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:
  Hide contents

So does anyone else think Lori knows more than she's letting on?  Can't wait to see how many people are involved in this and how they wrap it all up next week.  

it's hard to tell. the affair(s) in the past seem real. Her son told her something, but she seemed legit surprised by finding out about Erin being connected to the brother-in-law (and maybe possibly her husband) that I think if her husband was baby daddy or something like that it would be 100% news to her... she also tattled on her husbands plans pretty damn quick to Mare so if anything her finding out in the morning and not telling Mare until Mare showed up later that day shows a human element. A lot of people sit on information they wind up sharing anyways, but almost need to process or come to terms with the results of telling (in this case, backlash from her husband for not keeping it a secret).

8 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Last week I thought Dylan was the killer all along but now I think he’s burning the journals to destroy all proof of who the real father is. I think he took the kid for granted at first but ever since he heard he may not be the father he became defensive. They even threw that scene in where you thought he was going to smother the child but ended up rocking him. 

i did like that turn at the hospital 

just noticed they put up the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy. i have these on DVD, but havent watched them in probably 5years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

just noticed they put up the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy. i have these on DVD, but havent watched them in probably 5years. 

extended?  those movies are long af already. :lol:   

i'll probably watch them when i have 12 hours to kill. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mr_hunt said:

extended?  those movies are long af already. :lol:   

i'll probably watch them when i have 12 hours to kill. 

so true, i mean there is some really good extra material in them, but yeah clear your schedule. 

Regal was showing them during Memorial Day weekend a few years ago for $5 on the IMAX screens (the extended versions) so I watched all 3 on consecutive days because I don't know if i had seen the extended cuts before and I knew if doing at home I would be on my phone or pausing to "come back later" 

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

But not the 4k versions :sad:

19 hours ago, homerpat said:

Spoiler

I think I know where the show is going with Guy Pearce character. Besides being a casual love interest, he's in town to write a book using Easttown as inspiration. Mare will solve the case and he will write a new book, Mare of Easttown, which will make Mare the new wonder detective that Zabel once was. It's corny, but that's what i'm expecting. 

16 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

But not the 4k versions :sad:

true. 

16 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think I know where the show is going with Guy Pearce character. Besides being a casual love interest, he's in town to write a book using Easttown as inspiration. Mare will solve the case and he will write a new book, Mare of Easttown, which will make Mare the new wonder detective that Zabel once was. It's corny, but that's what i'm expecting. 

not a bad guess. anyway, it seems like everybody in that damn town is f'd up. can't wait to see how it ends. 

My friends were ****ing about this being a slow episode, but I loved it. 

Mare is so damaged and broken, etc. Soon as she told the shrink that it was her daughter who found the brother post suicide I just felt even worse for her, with the daughter having to carry that all these years and the guilt Mare felt over that. Then lo and behold the next scene was the daughter coming home drunk and ranting at Mare "it should've been you." Then Zabels (you know who I mean, no clue how close this spelling is) mom smacking her up when she went to visit and offer her condolences. Mare has some serious crap going on and guilt that she's carrying.

Nice that it looks like shes going to get the grandson back next week though at least  (per previews)

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

not a bad guess. anyway, it seems like everybody in that damn town is f'd up. can't wait to see how it ends. 

they're from Delco, would you expect anything different ? 

It was kind of disappointing

Spoiler

Erins little cousin accidentally killed her because he was mad she was sleeping with his dad and everyone was just trying to cover it up

Did I miss where they explained Dylan holding a gun to the girl last week? It seemed like that was resolved

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

It was kind of disappointing

Reveal hidden contents

Erins little cousin accidentally killed her because he was mad she was sleeping with his dad and everyone was just trying to cover it up

Did I miss where they explained Dylan holding a gun to the girl last week? It seemed like that was resolved

Spoiler

I wouldn't say disappointing, but it was sort of anticlimactic in a way.  Last episode I figured it wasn't Billy who killed Erin, but it was John and he was the one who had the affair with her and it was his son Erin had.  When Mare confronted the woman in the restaurant that John supposedly had a 2nd affair with and she was adamant that she hadn't then I knew it was Ryan who killed Erin and John was taking the fall for his son.  Then all the little scenes from previous episodes made more sense, like Lori overhearing some of the conversation between John and Ryan in Ryan's bedroom.  But yeah, what was the deal with Dylan threatening Jess with a gun about?  And Jess said it was her idea to burn the journals, but Dylan seemed more determined to do it than her.  Why would he care if there was nothing in them about him that would make the cops think he was guilty?  At least the show never alluded that there was something he was trying to hide other than that he was all about burning them.  But why?  That wasn't explained, but they sort of made a deal out of it.  Then threatening Jess to not talk to the cops.  Talk about what?  If that scene was left out we wouldn't have missed anything.  The only thing that mattered was Jess finding the pic of Erin and John, which had nothing to do with Dylan.  The only thing Jess wanted to do was "honour her friend" and keep the secret of who DJ's real dad was. 

The aftermath of the twist was showing Mare and Lori starting to put their friendship back together and Mare finally coming to terms with her son's suicide and forgiving herself.

• Like 1

My take was the pillow hospital fake out showed that Dylan wanted to be a father so my take on his actions was that he was trying to destroy or hush up any possible evidence/witness that could identify the father to allow him/his parents to keep DJ by default. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:
  Hide contents

I wouldn't say disappointing, but it was sort of anticlimactic in a way.  Last episode I figured it wasn't Billy who killed Erin, but it was John and he was the one who had the affair with her and it was his son Erin had.  When Mare confronted the woman in the restaurant that John supposedly had a 2nd affair with and she was adamant that she hadn't then I knew it was Ryan who killed Erin and John was taking the fall for his son.  Then all the little scenes from previous episodes made more sense, like Lori overhearing some of the conversation between John and Ryan in Ryan's bedroom.  But yeah, what was the deal with Dylan threatening Jess with a gun about?  And Jess said it was her idea to burn the journals, but Dylan seemed more determined to do it than her.  Why would he care if there was nothing in them about him that would make the cops think he was guilty?  At least the show never alluded that there was something he was trying to hide other than that he was all about burning them.  But why?  That wasn't explained, but they sort of made a deal out of it.  Then threatening Jess to not talk to the cops.  Talk about what?  If that scene was left out we wouldn't have missed anything.  The only thing that mattered was Jess finding the pic of Erin and John, which had nothing to do with Dylan.  The only thing Jess wanted to do was "honour her friend" and keep the secret of who DJ's real dad was. 

The aftermath of the twist was showing Mare and Lori starting to put their friendship back together and Mare finally coming to terms with her son's suicide and forgiving herself.

Spoiler

Dylan and his family wanted to keep DJ. He wanted to destroy the journals as that was the only proof who the real father was and also why he didn’t want the girl talking to the cops. Threatening her with the gun seems over the top. I’m guessing they just did that to confuse people. But also remember Dylan was an active and probably prime suspect at the time. Jess telling cops that Dylan burned her journals which could be evidence just makes him seem all the more guilty, so it makes sense he doesn’t want the cops to know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My take was the pillow hospital fake out showed that Dylan wanted to be a father so my take on his actions was that he was trying to destroy or hush up any possible evidence/witness that could identify the father to allow him/his parents to keep DJ by default. 

Yup. I have to rewatch but I thought even Jess or someone said in the last episode Dylan’s parents wanted to keep DJ. Then Dylan even "earned” the money for his ear surgery. I thought they made it pretty clear he cared and wanted the kid. 

Don’t know how to spoiler on mobile so this is your warning.

Thinking back on it, it’s kinda ridiculous DJ ends up with Lori. Her husband raped the kids mother, her son killed the mother, her husband and brother tampered with evidence and disposed the body by just throwing her naked body in a crick, and then Lori was somewhat complicit by knowing all this and lying to the police. But she gets the kid anyway lol. 

• Like 2