HBO Max

Gannan

This is just a general HBO Max thread. You guys should edit your posts to spoil them for Mare of Easttown

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Don’t know how to spoiler on mobile so this is your warning.

Spoiler

Thinking back on it, it’s kinda ridiculous DJ ends up with Lori. Her husband raped the kids mother, her son killed the mother, her husband and brother tampered with evidence and disposed the body by just throwing her naked body in a crick, and then Lori was somewhat complicit by knowing all this and lying to the police. But she gets the kid anyway lol. 

[*SPOILER]text[*/SPOILER]

Remove the *

Agreed. She has a kid with downs, a murderer, and now an incest baby

Don't know how she's not locked up for obstructing a murder investigation either. Same with a bunch of other people

Spoiler

I just can't get over that Guy Pearce didn't have anything to do with it.  😪   

Also, I just saw the New Mutants (just on regular HBO but I guess that means HBO Max also has it).  It sucked.  Don't watch it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Michael Che 6 part series is pretty funny and would recommend it. 

• Like 1

Mare - blasted thru it over the weekend - very well done, good twists n turns, kept us guessing the whole way through.  I grew up in NE Philly and Lower Bucks 'burbs, so the whole "Delco" vibe and accent seemed a little over the top to me.  I guess I can probably just look it up on Google, but where in Delco was all this shot?  I recognized the Union Stadium/ Commodore Barry Bridge scene, but what "Town" is "Easttown"?

Just now, Gern Blanston said:

Mare - blasted thru it over the weekend - very well done, good twists n turns, kept us guessing the whole way through.  I grew up in NE Philly and Lower Bucks 'burbs, so the whole "Delco" vibe and accent seemed a little over the top to me.  I guess I can probably just look it up on Google, but where in Delco was all this shot?  I recognized the Union Stadium/ Commodore Barry Bridge scene, but what "Town" is "Easttown"?

I think Easttown is actually a town, but it wasn't actually shot there

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gern Blanston said:

Pretty confident most of the "town" scenes were shot in Coatsville, where the writer and showrunner grew up.  You can see the coatsville train station as the exterior for the easttown police station

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:48 AM, Green_Guinness said:
  Hide contents

I wouldn't say disappointing, but it was sort of anticlimactic in a way.  Last episode I figured it wasn't Billy who killed Erin, but it was John and he was the one who had the affair with her and it was his son Erin had.  When Mare confronted the woman in the restaurant that John supposedly had a 2nd affair with and she was adamant that she hadn't then I knew it was Ryan who killed Erin and John was taking the fall for his son.  Then all the little scenes from previous episodes made more sense, like Lori overhearing some of the conversation between John and Ryan in Ryan's bedroom.  But yeah, what was the deal with Dylan threatening Jess with a gun about?  And Jess said it was her idea to burn the journals, but Dylan seemed more determined to do it than her.  Why would he care if there was nothing in them about him that would make the cops think he was guilty?  At least the show never alluded that there was something he was trying to hide other than that he was all about burning them.  But why?  That wasn't explained, but they sort of made a deal out of it.  Then threatening Jess to not talk to the cops.  Talk about what?  If that scene was left out we wouldn't have missed anything.  The only thing that mattered was Jess finding the pic of Erin and John, which had nothing to do with Dylan.  The only thing Jess wanted to do was "honour her friend" and keep the secret of who DJ's real dad was. 

i know this was already discussed but seems like he wanted to do this so his family could keep the baby. just don't know how to get rid of the quoted comment after quoting it lol.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:27 PM, LeanMeanGM said:
  Hide contents

Dylan and his family wanted to keep DJ. He wanted to destroy the journals as that was the only proof who the real father was and also why he didn’t want the girl talking to the cops. Threatening her with the gun seems over the top. I’m guessing they just did that to confuse people. But also remember Dylan was an active and probably prime suspect at the time. Jess telling cops that Dylan burned her journals which could be evidence just makes him seem all the more guilty, so it makes sense he doesn’t want the cops to know.

Did anyone come up with what Dylan was doing 2-3a or whatever the time frame was the night of the murder? Kinda important thing to bring up to swerve the audience and pretty annoying to never clarify it once you reveal the real killer. 

1 minute ago, JBENT87 said:

i know this was already discussed but seems like he wanted to do this so his family could keep the baby. just don't know how to get rid of the quoted comment after quoting it lol.

Did anyone come up with what Dylan was doing 2-3a or whatever the time frame was the night of the murder? Kinda important thing to bring up to swerve the audience and pretty annoying to never clarify it once you reveal the real killer. 

Spoiler

Maybe he was really just driving around smoking weed?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

Yeah.. that one bugged me too.  

Watched Warrior series on HBOmax.  Enjoyed it.  Sorta like Sopranos, but with Chinese tongs and martial arts.

BD743A6C-008E-46E7-B3FB-BE83EA472E6F.jpeg

• Like 2

Spoiler

Some random thoughts

1. The Mr.Carroll twist makes absolutely no sense AT ALL and you can clearly tell they had written the ending first but needed to circle back to make it make sense. First off, he has the gun in his shed because he said he wanted to keep it away from his kids. But then he gives access to the shed to a kid. Second, he's a former cop, he knew his gun went missing, and he knew two rounds were gone from his loaded gun ON THE NIGHT OF A MURDER THAT THE WHOLE TOWN IS TALKING ABOUT, and he doesn't think to bring this up at all until presumably months later. 

2. The where was Dylan night of the murder is likely him telling the truth, he was just driving around smoking weed. You can also ask this question about other characters where it was never established where they were, like Siobhan just going awol for the night and next morning of Erin's death. 

3. The show was great, but really didn't do a good job of establishing Erin as a sympathetic character. By the end of it all, all people cared about was who killed her. But there was no sense of justice for her, and really no "oh, it was just a mistake killing, how tragic". You end up feeling worse for Lori than Erin. 

4. John Ross is such an utter, complete POS that Mare should have just left him in jail. He has an affair, but gets his wife to stay, to only manipulate and have an affair with his cousins 14 year old kid who just lost her mother. He then manipulates her into blaming the child on an innocent teenage boy which completely changes his life. Then he manipulates his brother into taking the fall and blame of the murder to protect himself and his family. Then he tries to kill him because he can't trust he won't go through with is. And then manipulates his wife into going along with everything. They should have ended the show with John in prison with Kenny, and John getting his head smashed in the prison yard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:
  Hide contents

Some random thoughts

1. The Mr.Carroll twist makes absolutely no sense AT ALL and you can clearly tell they had written the ending first but needed to circle back to make it make sense. First off, he has the gun in his shed because he said he wanted to keep it away from his kids. But then he gives access to the shed to a kid. Second, he's a former cop, he knew his gun went missing, and he knew two rounds were gone from his loaded gun ON THE NIGHT OF A MURDER THAT THE WHOLE TOWN IS TALKING ABOUT, and he doesn't think to bring this up at all until presumably months later. 

2. The where was Dylan night of the murder is likely him telling the truth, he was just driving around smoking weed. You can also ask this question about other characters where it was never established where they were, like Siobhan just going awol for the night and next morning of Erin's death. 

3. The show was great, but really didn't do a good job of establishing Erin as a sympathetic character. By the end of it all, all people cared about was who killed her. But there was no sense of justice for her, and really no "oh, it was just a mistake killing, how tragic". You end up feeling worse for Lori than Erin. 

4. John Ross is such an utter, complete POS that Mare should have just left him in jail. He has an affair, but gets his wife to stay, to only manipulate and have an affair with his cousins 14 year old kid who just lost her mother. He then manipulates her into blaming the child on an innocent teenage boy which completely changes his life. Then he manipulates his brother into taking the fall and blame of the murder to protect himself and his family. Then he tries to kill him because he can't trust he won't go through with is. And then manipulates his wife into going along with everything. They should have ended the show with John in prison with Kenny, and John getting his head smashed in the prison yard.

Spoiler

Was she 14? I thought she was 17. Anyway how is he not in jail for having sex with a minor and knocking her up. They seemed to have glossed over that whole detail in the show

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:
  Hide contents

Was she 14? I thought she was 17. Anyway how is he not in jail for having sex with a minor and knocking her up. They seemed to have glossed over that whole detail in the show

Spoiler

She was 17 when she was killed with a I presume 1-2 year old, so that puts her around 14 when he started having sex with her.

Spoiler

John Ross wasn't out of jail - he, Billy, and of course the son are all doing time for their involvement.  They specifically mentioned that Billy's sentence was reduced or something to that effect.  I would imagine John will still do some serious time for covering up/hiding what his son did, not to mention the sex with a minor.  

Conjuring: Devil Made Me Do It

Was pretty good. Curious if they'll do another one or if this was the last to the franchise

On 6/4/2021 at 11:26 PM, Mike030270 said:

Conjuring: Devil Made Me Do It

Was pretty good. Curious if they'll do another one or if this was the last to the franchise

Doing a Conjuring universe rewatch (all available on HBO Max) before watching this newest one. Went slightly out of order by re-watching Conjuring 1 first a week or so ago. But since then have been in chronological order (skipped The Nun bc I tried watching it couple years ago and couldn't get through it), then it goes right to the Annabelles (Creation, Anb (self titled), Anb Comes Home). Anb Creation was actually pretty good, but I fell asleep a couple times in the follow up self titled one. Then you're supposed to watch Conjuring 1 before doing ACH.  After that, "Curse of La Llorona" (also no strong desire to watch this but we'll see), then Conjuring 2, then 3. 

May do some updates / reviews as I go. But yeah so far, "The Nun" and "Annabelle" have been disappointing. Going to be hard to beat Conjuring 1 at the end of this, but I definitely enjoyed Creation. My 2nd favorite so far. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, Gern Blanston said:

Aston

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

Doing a Conjuring universe rewatch (all available on HBO Max) before watching this newest one. Went slightly out of order by re-watching Conjuring 1 first a week or so ago. But since then have been in chronological order (skipped The Nun bc I tried watching it couple years ago and couldn't get through it), then it goes right to the Annabelles (Creation, Anb (self titled), Anb Comes Home). Anb Creation was actually pretty good, but I fell asleep a couple times in the follow up self titled one. Then you're supposed to watch Conjuring 1 before doing ACH.  After that, "Curse of La Llorona" (also no strong desire to watch this but we'll see), then Conjuring 2, then 3. 

May do some updates / reviews as I go. But yeah so far, "The Nun" and "Annabelle" have been disappointing. Going to be hard to beat Conjuring 1 at the end of this, but I definitely enjoyed Creation. My 2nd favorite so far. 

Conjuring 2 is my favorite 

19 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

I enjoyed all of the Conjurings and Annabelles (I think, but they all blend together after a while). The Nun and Curse of La Llorona were awful, though. Skippable, too, unless you are really committed to watching the entire universe. 

• Like 1

I don't think that they were awful, but they definitely weren't as good as most of the others.  Ranking:

1. Conjuring 2

2a. Conjuring 1

2b. Annabelle: Creation

3. Annabelle Comes Home

4. Annabelle

5. The Nun

6. Curse of La Llorna

Haven't seen the new one yet.  I'll probably spring for a month of HBO Max and watch it this weekend.

• Like 1

Is the new Angelina Jolie movie any good? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

not only is it good for you, it's WW84 good.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

It’s a Taylor Sheridan made popcorn movie. Don’t go in expecting hell or high water and you’ll be alright. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

it was serviceable, but I pay for like a $22/mo "unlimited" subscription plan with a major theater chain, so its just a matter of driving the 9 miles or so to one of 3 surrounding theaters. For an un-married, childless guy that is living in a brand new area where I don't know anyone, we're still working from home so I haven't "met" coworkers, and most residents still basically distancing with COVID... it provided useful entertainment to pass a few hours. It's not something I'm going to race back out to re-watch, but Littlefinger and Hank McCoy/Beast were entertaining enough.