Rebuilding the team - discuss the future of the Eagles (orig post Sept 2020)

Road to Victory

1 minute ago, Maga301 said:

Like I'ved said, from last year having to fire Groh and QB's coach after saying they would be back. I don't know why Doug would even want to come back due to the poor drafting that Howie has done and the fact that Howie has final say on personnel. Don't get me wrong, Doug has failed as a HC but Howie has not made it easy for him or Schwartz IMO. I think that's another reason Doug holds onto the play calling because it's a way to say FU to Howie...…it's almost like Doug and Howie just haven't jelled at all. 

Those two haven't made it easy on anyone from the janitor on up.  They both have run their course.  But Doug should want to be back.  Who would take another shot on him?

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Those two haven't made it easy on anyone from the janitor on up.  They both have run their course.  But Doug should want to be back.  Who would take another shot on him?

Dude if guys like Adam Gase and Chip Kelly get second chances, so will Doug. I don't know where or if it would be HC but Doug would land on his feet. 

Just now, Maga301 said:

Dude if guys like Adam Gase and Chip Kelly get second chances, so will Doug. I don't know where or if it would be HC but Doug would land on his feet. 

I meant as a HC. He'll just shuffle back to Andy in some capacity when the opening presents itself.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I meant as a HC. He'll just shuffle back to Andy in some capacity when the opening presents itself.

I know that's why I mentioned Gase and Kelly as examples.......Doug would get interviews and heavy looks. FWIW he does have a SB ring against the great BB. To some owners that will carry some weight.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I don't see it that way. A good trade and a good draft and we are fixed:Eagle_smiley:

We've been saying for YEARS if they just have a good draft...if they can just nail this draft...this draft is vital to setting them up for the future...if they don't nail this draft they'll set the team back for decades.

Every year we say that, and every year they fail in the draft.

Remember the 2017 class that was deep at corner and RB?  They cut the corners and RB they drafted from that class.  They suck at drafting.

4 hours ago, Infam said:

I don't see it that way. A good trade and a good draft and we are fixed. :Eagle_smiley:

What? Seriously? A team with this many issues and holes? A 4 win team? 

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Personally, I think Lurie and Doug DON'T get on the same page and he walks.  I think that is good, because I have zero faith in him to lead a rebuild.  We may as well get it over with.

I have zero faith in Howie giving Doug the tools to rebuild though and ultimately a rebuild starts with the GM.

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Personally, I think Lurie and Doug DON'T get on the same page and he walks.  I think that is good, because I have zero faith in him to lead a rebuild.  We may as well get it over with.

I have zero faith in Howie giving Doug the tools to rebuild though and ultimately a rebuild starts with the GM.

All areas need to be addressed. 

O Line, D Line, LB, Secondary, WR. 

Just draft from Alabama and Ohio State. Even a waterboy from those organizations will help your team more than a QB from the Pac-12.

Ok, now I’m nervous. We restructured Jeffery and Malik Jackson. I hope Howie didn’t kick the can further down the road.

13 hours ago, NVeagle said:

It starts with this:

IMG_7070.jpg

Without doubt. The rebuild can't start until they make that move. 

22 hours ago, wyote said:

Rebuild is happening no matter who is where or who likes it or who doesn't. There are too many old guys, too many fat salaries. Lot of veterans will be out the door. The week 1 roster next year will have a lot of guys who weren't starting week 1 this year, probably including the QB, LT, and TE. Whoever replaces Schwartz is unlikely to have the same loyalty to Schwartz's guys on defense. Next year we'll find out if Hurts has a chance to be the next Russell Wilson or what, and 8-8 would be a pretty good result. 

So that means the new DC won’t have the same loyalty to Gerry. At least we’d have that going for us. Which is nice. 

16 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Ok, now I’m nervous. We restructured Jeffery and Malik Jackson. I hope Howie didn’t kick the can further down the road.

It's complicated but supposedly is the best move they could've made with these two guys in order to free up max cap space. Here's what a guy at overthecap.com had to say about it:

The trick the Eagles are attempting to use here is the post June 1 designation but to what I would assume is the maximum extent. Every year the NFL allows you to designate two players as a post June 1 cut which allows you to prevent any future bonus money from accelerating in the current league year.

However there is a caveat and it’s that you have to keep the players cap charge on your roster as is until June 2. So for the Eagles this would be a massive $18.49M for Jeffery and $13.6M for Jackson. That does nothing for the Eagles salary cap woes in 2021 since the savings won’t be realized at the start of the league year, forcing them to cut the players in February at dead money charges of $10.5M and $12.6M respectively. I would imagine that what the Eagles did here was reduce the players salaries to the minimum (for the sake of easy math lets just call it $1M) in 2021 and add a 2022 league year salary that is worth somewhere around $20M. To ensure that the player is indeed cut and allowed to be a free agent there would need to be some trigger that occurs such as the 2022 salary completely guarantees on the 2nd day of the 2021 league year, forcing Philadelphia to cut the players.

Their 2021 cap charges in this scenario would reduce from $18.49 and $13.6 million to $6.49M and $4.6M, opening up a massive $21 million in cap space for 2021. When they June 1 the players to prevent the 2022 guarantee from kicking in the cap numbers remain at $6.49 and $4.6M until June 2 at which point they will reduce even further to $5.49M and $3.6M. The Eagles would then be on the hook for $5M and $9M for the two players in 2022.

Now I don’t know if this is exactly what they did or did not do but its the way that I would have approached it which makes me think they did something similar. In any event it’s a pretty creative use of the rules. As for why the players would accept such a thing? Well it does ensure their quick release and I’m sure keeps a solid relationship between the agent who rep the players and the organization as well.

Why the timing of the restructure? That’s also due to the rules. The NFL does not allow you to utilize the June 1 release if you renegotiate a players contract after the last regular season game basically to prevent this situation from occurring. So Philadelphia took full advantage of it here at the last minute,

Had the Eagles just played the contracts as normal they would have saved just $8.937M on the cap by releasing these two players as normal cuts. Now they should have an extra $12M on top of that. Its a brilliant move that really helps a rough cap situation next year.

• 1 month later...

This seems like the right time for a total purge and rebuild.  Cox,Ertz,Graham,Kelce,Slay, and any other Vet that's eating up any considerable cap. Eat trash the next 2 seasons and start building something from the ground up.  

Burn. It. Down.

Maybe I'm too optimistic here but I think if we do that and lose all the big cap hit vets, we'll be terrible for only 2021

I think we'll be on the rise in 2022 and feeling good by the end of that year. Either because Hurts will be good or a QB acquired the offseason after 2021 will be developing well

1 hour ago, Fresh_Prince said:

Maybe I'm too optimistic here but I think if we do that and lose all the big cap hit vets, we'll be terrible for only 2021

I think we'll be on the rise in 2022 and feeling good by the end of that year. Either because Hurts will be good or a QB acquired the offseason after 2021 will be developing well

Howie can get back to what he does best, spending Lurie’s money. This drafting thing is way too hard for him. 

29 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie can get back to what he does best, spending Lurie’s money. This drafting thing is way too hard for him. 

Unfortunately for Howie, he has no money to spend.  he has to cut players and rely on the thing he's worst at:  the draft.

49 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Unfortunately for Howie, he has no money to spend.  he has to cut players and rely on the thing he's worst at:  the draft.

Talking about next year. 

I think we have to look at this season as basically firsts. Hurts is basically a rookie, or they draft a rookie that will be a rookie, the coach is a rookie, and the cap is a full blown mess for a season. I don’t think 2021 can be looked at with high expectations even if Wentz were the quarterback. We can only hope that Howie hits a home run in the draft these next few years or he gets exposed and Lurie finally fires him. 

5 hours ago, What The F said:

This seems like the right time for a total purge and rebuild.  Cox,Ertz,Graham,Kelce,Slay, and any other Vet that's eating up any considerable cap. Eat trash the next 2 seasons and start building something from the ground up.  

Burn. It. Down.

I agree totally, Cox, Ertz, Kelce, Slay, Graham, Brooks, Johnson, trade 'em all for anything you can get.  None of them will be here when the Eagles are finally good again.  And run over our Kicker in the parking lot too!!  

1 minute ago, wrestlevessel said:

If you guys thought 4-11-1 sucked. Get ready for 2-14 or 1-15 this year.

I just hope Lurie doesn’t give Howie another pass figuring this is going to be a rebuilding year. 

5 hours ago, What The F said:

Burn. It. Down.

I’m not a fan of the complete blow up. You need some quality veterans for the younger players to learn from. Graham and Kelce both seem to have the veteran leadership I would want to spread to younger players. Both are physically and mentally tough...

11 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I just hope Lurie doesn’t give Howie another pass figuring this is going to be a rebuilding year. 

Hate to put it out there, but even if this season is a one win season Howie could still come out smelling like roses, because he would have the Eagles with a chance to draft a top tier talent, a legit possibility of another first, and I heard that the Eagles in 2022 could potentially have nearly 80 mil in cap space. If Hurts stinks the Eagles are primed to draft his replacement. If he’s good to great the Eagle are in position to draft a game changing talent in another position, multiple picks, and cap space to be aggressive in free agency. Suddenly Howie is looking like a genius in Lurie’s eyes again. 

On 1/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, jsdarkstar said:

All areas need to be addressed. 

O Line, D Line, LB, Secondary, WR. 

I can see one player for each the OL and DL, LG and DE, otherwise I stand pat in the trenches.

Archived