Rebuilding the team - discuss the future of the Eagles (orig post Sept 2020)

Road to Victory

14 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I've been saying for years that Howie will be with the Eagles as long as Lurie owns the team, hopefully the know-nothing will sell the team.

My only hope is: he fired his lifelong buddy Banner...

I can only wish the same for j-off Howie

16 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

It's broken from the top down and must be fixed from the top down. There can be no scape goats even if willing to fall on their swords. Lurie must look objectively at his football team and start the rebuild with firing and replacing Howie Roseman. That doesn't mean shuffle him to some other position in the organization, but thanking him and sending him on his way to seek other employment. Hire a new GM to be the architect of the entire rebuild from vision to reality. That's where it must start IMO. Until then, nothing really changes.

Agree 100%.  Rebuild must happen from the top down.

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

If you could read his mind right at that moment, what do you think he is thinking?

I’ll bet "shiny!!”

"Thanks Frank"

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I've been saying for years that Howie will be with the Eagles as long as Lurie owns the team, hopefully the know-nothing will sell the team.

He'll fire Howie the moment he believes that doing so will give the team a better chance of winning. 

20 minutes ago, wyote said:

He'll fire Howie the moment he believes that doing so will give the team a better chance of winning. 

You really have not been a Eagles fan long have you? 

Lurie will not fire Howie. The best case will be Howie's role in the Draft process and FA will be reduced and they will hire a GM to take over that role or they will hire a consultant like they did with Joe Douglas. Howie will not be gone from his title(Executive Vice President) or this franchise. 

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Lurie will not fire Howie. The best case will be Howie's role in the Draft process and FA will be reduced and they will hire a GM to take over that role or they will hire a consultant like they did with Joe Douglas. Howie will not be gone from his title(Executive Vice President) or this franchise. 

You are probably right.  Lurie will probably be more inclined to bump him up the chain with a new title and call it a promotion to open up that GM spot.  But if that is what it takes to remove him from the talent evaluation process and if that is what is best for this franchise (I happen to think so ... but hey, what do I know?!?), then so be it.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

You are probably right.  Lurie will probably be more inclined to bump him up the chain with a new title and call it a promotion to open up that GM spot.  But if that is what it takes to remove him from the talent evaluation process and if that is what is best for this franchise (I happen to think so), then so be it.  

Thats not a bump, that's his current title. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You know I was thinking this earlier. Maybe I have woken up in a bad and a negative mood today but...

If I go through position by position this team feels in a really bad place. 

Way over the cap with ageing players is a bad place to be. So Captain Obvious statement out of the way let's just think about that. 

DT is a mess. Cox is ageing and isn't the same player. Jackson may not be with his team next year and Hargrave hasn't looked good so far at all. At DE I'm not sure Barnett is back and BG needs replacing. That means in the next year or two we need to replace both DE spots and at least one DT spot. 

In the secondary we need a new outside CB and in the next couple of years a new CB to replace Slay. We need 2 new safeties and we may need a new slot CB if this team have now ruined Maddox.

On offense, the QB is a mess but let's just hope he turns it around. Will they extend Sanders? Doubtful given the likely price and the RB position as a whole in the NFL. The WR position is still a question mark and the whole OL is going to need redoing bar perhaps LG.

I mean it's actually quite frightening. To turn things around in the next couple of years they would need to hit on 75% of their draft picks at least. And find the right GM, HC and Coordinators.

I think the FO will not pick up Barnett's option, and let him test free agency.  If doesn't receive a major offer, he's back.  If he does, he's gone.

Jackson may be back, but I do think the FO will attempt to trade Hargrave to a team that uses a 3-4 defense, which seems to be better for him.  

And no way do the Eagles let Sanders leave in free agency.

34 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You are probably right.  Lurie will probably be more inclined to bump him up the chain with a new title and call it a promotion to open up that GM spot.  But if that is what it takes to remove him from the talent evaluation process and if that is what is best for this franchise (I happen to think so ... but hey, what do I know?!?), then so be it.  

He already did that once when Chip Kelly took over personnel

34 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Thats not a bump, that's his current title. 

I’m suggesting they’ll vacate the GM position and create a new position that they will move Howie up into.  

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

He already did that once when Chip Kelly took over personnel

Exactly, so there is precedent.  

34 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I’m suggesting they’ll vacate the GM position and create a new position that they will move Howie up into.  

Exactly, so there is precedent.  

His title is Executive Vice President/GM. You just take the back part off. 

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I've been a fan just about as long as you. 

Lurie likes to give people a chance to learn to do their jobs, and he likes stability, and he doesn't make TATE-style temper tantrum decisions, but he'll fire a guy. Look at what happened to Chip as an example. 

I'm not saying Howie will be fired. None of us know nearly as much as Lurie knows or what he is thinking. But if he believes he can get a better GM, he'll fire Howie. 

3 hours ago, wyote said:

Are you saying Lurie is so football ignorant he doesn't realize Howie is the worst GM in the league?   

9 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Are you saying Lurie is so football ignorant he doesn't realize Howie is the worst GM in the league?   

Lurie finds out more about the league's GMs on a random Monday morning in March than you and I will ever know. 

25 minutes ago, wyote said:

Lurie finds out more about the league's GMs on a random Monday morning in March than you and I will ever know. 

bahhhhhhhhhhhha, coyote lurie has picked more pieces of gm's out of his stools that you and I will ever know, hello

35 minutes ago, wyote said:

Yeah but the dumb sheet doesn't know it's all disinformation and apparently nor do you.

25 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Yeah but the dumb sheet doesn't know it's all disinformation and apparently nor do you.

Lurie has been a Godsend for this franchise.  Every single coach he's hired has been to the playoffs - all but Kelly in multiple years.  Andy Reid was discovered on his watch - and overall, the Lurie years have been the best years this franchise has ever seen, but for the run by the Greasy Neale coached teams. 

I do not feel good about the future for this team. In a way though, I think we could kinda see this crapshow slowly appearing on the horizon. The age of some players, the crazy $ contracts handed out the past couple of years, the injury bug that seems to bite them too often, all of the coaching changes, and finally the poor drafting. It equals a bad football team. They are/were due for a horrible season, especially after 3 straight trips to the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I think the FO will not pick up Barnett's option, and let him test free agency.  If doesn't receive a major offer, he's back.  If he does, he's gone.

Jackson may be back, but I do think the FO will attempt to trade Hargrave to a team that uses a 3-4 defense, which seems to be better for him.  

And no way do the Eagles let Sanders leave in free agency.

Agreed I think Barnett at least tests FA. I don't think he'll end up back here. 

They may trade Hargrave but he's got a pretty decent contract...

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

His title is Executive Vice President/GM. You just take the back part off. 

SENIOR Executive Vice President

:lol:

15 hours ago, Procus said:

Lurie has been a Godsend for this franchise.  Every single coach he's hired has been to the playoffs - all but Kelly in multiple years.  Andy Reid was discovered on his watch - and overall, the Lurie years have been the best years this franchise has ever seen, but for the run by the Greasy Neale coached teams. 

Just imagine how well the team could have been with a competent GM as well as how bad it's been throughout the years before Lurie.

I am by no means impressed with Lurie's ownership, I mean, look at the team now, it's all on his watch.....after a SB win, a fluke SB win.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Just imagine how well the team could have been with a competent GM as well as how bad it's been throughout the years before Lurie.

I am by no means impressed with Lurie's ownership, I mean, look at the team now, it's all on his watch.....after a SB win, a fluke SB win.

Ray Rhodes managed two playoff appearances and a playoff win before the bottom fell out.

The Andy Reid years speak for themselves.

Two out of Chip Kelly's three years field 10-6 teams.

Dougie won a SB and has been to the playoffs 3 times in 4 years.  Sorry if the "fluke" SB year wasn't to your liking.  There were other years where the team should have won - but didn't.

Two bad years stick out - 1998 and 2012.  Yielded the team DMac and Lane Johnson.

Pretty good overall ownership record if you ask me.  Don't believe me?  Check with fans who suffered with the team in the 60's and 70's.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

20 minutes ago, Procus said:

Ray Rhodes managed two playoff appearances and a playoff win before the bottom fell out.

The Andy Reid years speak for themselves.

Two out of Chip Kelly's three years field 10-6 teams.

Dougie won a SB and has been to the playoffs 3 times in 4 years.  Sorry if the "fluke" SB year wasn't to your liking.  There were other years where the team should have won - but didn't.

Two bad years stick out - 1998 and 2012.  Yielded the team DMac and Lane Johnson.

Pretty good overall ownership record if you ask me.  Don't believe me?  Check with fans who suffered with the team in the 60's and 70's.

Fluke Super Bowl win?

We were the best and deepest team that year and deserved it absolutely.

In order to figure out what the best path forward is for this franchise, Lurie needs to complete an honest assessment of this team.  He needs to ask himself 2 simple questions:

1) Are the Eagles legitimate playoff contenders now?  (Meaning, if they made the postseason, what are the odds they truly contend with the others that make it, not can they get in to the tournament by winning a historically bad division.)

2) Does it look like the Eagles can become legitimate playoff contenders in the next couple of years?

If the answer is "no" to both of those questions, then some changes are likely in order, whatever they may be.  

For the record, and not that it means diddly, but my answer is "no" to both.  We have an aging roster and not a lot of young talent in the pipeline and a salary cap situation that is going to make it really hard to supplement the talent on this team with outside help for the next couple of years.  We have a GM that has a poor track record overall of drafting and a HC that refuses to give up play calling on offense even though the offense has been in a complete funk for the better part of going on 3 years now (which is not completely due to Wentz’s inconsistent play and injuries ... the offense is uncreative and predictable and is not designed to play toward our players strengths).  Doug just appears to be out of answers - can’t figure out how to get his QB back on track, how to improve the offense, how to incorporate any ideas he gets from his 600 assistant offensive coaches in a way that makes any sense, etc.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

We were the best and deepest team that year and deserved it absolutely.

If that were the case why have we looked like sheet since winning the SB?

Archived