Rebuilding the team - discuss the future of the Eagles (orig post Sept 2020)

Road to Victory

9 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Future is bleak. They have very little building blocks in place to make anyone believe this team can compete in the next couple years. Basement dwellers for the next 3-4 years here we come.

I certainly don't think this team is going to compete in the next couple of years. I mean I guess given how bad the division is we may be in with a shot? I doubt we win the division in the next couple of years but I can see a situation where we have a shot until late in the year. 

10 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Future is bleak. They have very little building blocks in place to make anyone believe this team can compete in the next couple years. Basement dwellers for the next 3-4 years here we come.

I'd actually be ok with being in the basement for 2 to 3 years IF.....there was a competent GM in place that could draft impact players with those high draft picks.  Look....I know it seems like a while ago but I never ever thought I'd see the Lombardi come to Philadelphia.  I've been a fan since '79 and have seen a lot of bad football, a lot of bad teams, a lot of bad coaches.......I can deal with dumping the ageing vets, fixing the cap and drafting young/impact players.......my problem is you have to have confidence in the the GM and Head Coach during the rebuild.....neither of which I do!

15 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Teams can bounce back in a couple years.  They won a SB in Doug's 2nd year as HC.  

There are some building blocks there, right now this team is like the 2012 team that is a mess, poorly coached and undisciplined and defeated.  Even good players are underperforming.  

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Teams can bounce back in a couple years.  They won a SB in Doug's 2nd year as HC.  

There are some building blocks there, right now this team is like the 2012 team that is a mess, poorly coached and undisciplined and defeated.  Even good players are underperforming.  

Problem is a lot of the building blocks are nearing 30 or already over 30

13 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Problem is a lot of the building blocks are nearing 30 or already over 30

I don't consider them part of the building blocks going forward.  There are some young players that are pretty good, it's not like there isn't any talent. I agree the team needs to rebuild but there are enough pieces there to work with that 2 years isn't unrealistic.  Especially if a new GM and coaching staff were to "fix" Carson Wentz and he would be back to playing at a high level.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I don't consider them part of the building blocks going forward.  There are some young players that are pretty good, it's not like there isn't any talent. I agree the team needs to rebuild but there are enough pieces there to work with that 2 years isn't unrealistic.  Especially if a new GM and coaching staff were to "fix" Carson Wentz and he would be back to playing at a high level.

We better start crossing our fingers Howie doesnt F up this draft 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He will, which is one major reason he needs to be fired.  

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

There is no doubt he will.  He has blown it the last two drafts.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I certainly don't think this team is going to compete in the next couple of years. I mean I guess given how bad the division is we may be in with a shot? I doubt we win the division in the next couple of years but I can see a situation where we have a shot until late in the year. 

The thing with the division is, the Ginas are clearly improving and winning the division without Sacquon, the Dallarse offense isn't going to be coached by clowns forever and Washington are better than us now, and we are in a deeeeeeep hole in terms of roster age profile and cap space.

21 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He will, which is one major reason he needs to be fired.  

Yeah, he's got years of awful picks under his belt, I don't expect him to somehow get it right this time. 

46 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The thing with the division is, the Ginas are clearly improving and winning the division without Sacquon, the Dallarse offense isn't going to be coached by clowns forever and Washington are better than us now, and we are in a deeeeeeep hole in terms of roster age profile and cap space.

Dallas are in a hole because they still have to make a decision at QB. Washington are a badly run team so them being better than us right now doesn't scare me too much. NY are the ones to be worried about I agree. But hey look some major changes for this Eagles team and we can turn it around. 

Draft better.

Keep your players healthy.

I think there's very little else you can really do in this league IMHO that makes a huge difference either way. Unless you hit lightning in a bottle with a Mahomes or Brady.

I actually think they have decent building blocks on the offensive side of the ball.

Mailata, Reagor, Sanders, Goedert & Hurts(maybe) are a solid young core. You still have Lane who should provide a few more years of high end RT play. 

The defense is the trouble spot. They are loaded with older players on bloated contracts and very little young talent to develop. 

They need a couple good drafts in a row to infuse talent onto this roster while we get our cap in order. And I dont trust Howie at all in trying to pull that off. 

Step 1: Lose out and get top 5 pick. There will be OL, DE, CB and WR available, or the ability to extract a bounty from someone after one of the QBs

Step 2: Fire Howie

Step 3: Let the new GM go to work on the coaches and roster

22 minutes ago, Usain23 said:

I actually think they have decent building blocks on the offensive side of the ball.

Mailata, Reagor, Sanders, Goedert & Hurts(maybe) are a solid young core. You still have Lane who should provide a few more years of high end RT play. 

The defense is the trouble spot. They are loaded with older players on bloated contracts and very little young talent to develop. 

They need a couple good drafts in a row to infuse talent onto this roster while we get our cap in order. And I dont trust Howie at all in trying to pull that off. 

The OL is mess. Kelce may retire, Brooks and Lane are coming off major injuries. Mailata I am not certain about - sure didn’t help pulling him out for a few games to see Peters get abused. They are now doing the same to Herbig who was nothing special but not terrible after the 1st game in WAS either. No reason to rob the young OL of development time this year.

Reagor is probably fine as a weapon but the WRs as a group still don’t seperate well. Goedert and Sanders are good starters. We don’t know what we have in Hurts. I wouldn’t say the offense is in good shape either. 

The D is better today than the offense but as you say old and big contracts, and seriously lacking in high end young talent. DL is good but too much cap space (particularly in DTs) for the production we get which leaves big holes at LB and secondary. 

Howie has put this team into a pickle with bad drafts, and worse contracts. It’s time for Howie to be given his walking papers. From that point a new GM should choose what to do with Doug and Carson though it’s probably not likely both can stay here. It’s also not likely you can keep both quarterbacks either. They really messed up part is most of the contracts are so under water that if the Eagles move on from people most of the cap hits will not give them the cap relief they need. I think they need to gut this thing as best they can. Everyone seems to think this thing could be a long time, but with the right people picking the players the turnaround could be much quicker than that. The talent evaluation has been so bad. It’s the first thing that needs to be fixed. 

On 9/28/2020 at 2:33 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

Howie just needs to go away altogether. He’s terrible or over rated in every aspect of his job. He used to be a "cap guru”.  He’s not that anymore. 31 other teams manage to field teams within the cap, and a number of those are good to great teams consistently. 

Yeah I think teams caught on to his ability to out smart them in contract dealing- kind of like how the rest of the league caught up to the "cute" ways our coaches try to "outsmart" them on the field. Guess when it rains... it pours

9 hours ago, NYEagle said:

I'd actually be ok with being in the basement for 2 to 3 years IF.....there was a competent GM in place that could draft impact players with those high draft picks.  Look....I know it seems like a while ago but I never ever thought I'd see the Lombardi come to Philadelphia.  I've been a fan since '79 and have seen a lot of bad football, a lot of bad teams, a lot of bad coaches.......I can deal with dumping the ageing vets, fixing the cap and drafting young/impact players.......my problem is you have to have confidence in the the GM and Head Coach during the rebuild.....neither of which I do!

Yup. I can live with poor seasons if I think they will lead somewhere. With Howie, poor seasons will lead to more poor seasons. 

6 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

is employed elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

is employed elsewhere.

Howie won't get another personnel job. I think that is part of the reason why Lurie can't can him. He doesn't want to kill Howie's dream. 

8 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Howie won't get another personnel job. I think that is part of the reason why Lurie can't can him. He doesn't want to kill Howie's dream. 

I think he’ll a get a job, just not picking talent. If guys like Banner and Tannenbaum were able to find work, Howie should with a SB on his resume. He’ll just be a numbers/contract guy. His dream of full control will be over. 

How can you trust the current regime to make the very difficult decisions for next season.

-- Wentz vs. Hurts vs. possible top 5 pick

-- Dillard vs. Mailata

-- Beyond the obvious ones, which veterans to cut/trade? What happens to Ertz?

-- Extension decisions on Barnett, Goedert, Mailata, and Sweat

Almost every time this FO/coaching staff has to make complex decisions, they fumble the ball. 2021 is full of those decisions. No brainier, clean house.

17 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I think he’ll a get a job, just not picking talent. If guys like Banner and Tannenbaum were able to find work, Howie should with a SB on his resume. He’ll just be a numbers/contract guy. His dream of full control will be over. 

I was talking about personnel such as player evaluations and draft control. GM duties.  He has almost no chance to get a job like that if he is canned.

This has been a bad season, but even worse is that almost everyone is regressing, including Miles Sanders. There's barely any improvement or development anywhere. (Maybe Fulgham?) I think that's the bigger issue Doug needs to worry about for the future of this team. I mean if we went 3-13 but someone had a breakout year and gave us hope for next season, that makes it a bit better. But right now we don't even have that, everything just seems bleak and hopeless.

Archived