Board technical issues

Moderator12

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

So last night on my iPad I was seeing ads at the top of the page. Today on my phone nothing. Any reason for the difference? I want to get as many clicks as possible for the ad revenue 

I was just testing the Invision system of controlling where ads show up. They were only meant to show at the bottom of the page, and they were only meant to be this big:

bottom.JPG

But apparently, they were showing up at the top of the page and were bigger than they were supposed to be. I only had it set on so that I could see it, and see how it registered, both here and with AdSense. 

I wouldn't want anyone to 'click, click, click' on the ads as a way to help the board get revenue, though. Google keeps a strict eye on clicks and if they even get the thought of a hint of the possibility that someone is doing that, they ban the account owner and then there's no possibility for any ad revenue. 

Click on ads do generate revenue, but I'd rather the clicks come organically from random 'guests' rather than from members wanting to help generate revenue. But clicks are only one way that ads generate revenue. Just the fact of the ads being displayed, generates revenue. For every 1,000 times ads are displayed (impressions), revenue is generated. The amount varies per day,  it can be as little as $0.12 per thousand impressions or as high as $3 or $4 per thousand. 

Maybe one day coming up, I'll turn an ad on as a test to see how many 'impressions' we generate in a 24 hour period, and have everyone take a screen shot of how it looks on their device/computer. I'd discourage members from clicking though, unless it would genuinely be something that caught their interest and they'd have clicked it on some other site without thought to 'revenue'. I'd also highly discourage anyone from clicking anything more than once. The same IP address clicking multiple ads is the first thing that Google looks for. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Click on ads do generate revenue, but I'd rather the clicks come organically from random 'guests' rather than from members wanting to help generate revenue. But clicks are only one way that ads generate revenue. Just the fact of the ads being displayed, generates revenue. For every 1,000 times ads are displayed (impressions), revenue is generated. The amount varies per day,  it can be as little as $0.12 per thousand impressions or as high as $3 or $4 per thousand.

This is more so what I was thinking. The clicks I meant where from just being bored at work and going through the board. 

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was just testing the Invision system of controlling where ads show up. They were only meant to show at the bottom of the page, and they were only meant to be this big:

bottom.JPG

But apparently, they were showing up at the top of the page and were bigger than they were supposed to be. I only had it set on so that I could see it, and see how it registered, both here and with AdSense. 

I wouldn't want anyone to 'click, click, click' on the ads as a way to help the board get revenue, though. Google keeps a strict eye on clicks and if they even get the thought of a hint of the possibility that someone is doing that, they ban the account owner and then there's no possibility for any ad revenue. 

Maybe one day coming up, I'll turn an ad on as a test to see how many 'impressions' we generate in a 24 hour period, and have everyone take a screen shot of how it looks on their device/computer. I'd discourage members from clicking though, unless it would genuinely be something that caught their interest and they'd have clicked it on some other site without thought to 'revenue'. I'd also highly discourage anyone from clicking anything more than once. The same IP address clicking multiple ads is the first thing that Google looks for. 

Just the blog alone has over 220,000 views since this board opened up. You could really bring in the dough on ad's just being displayed without even being clicked. 

22 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Just the blog alone has over 220,000 views since this board opened up. You could really bring in the dough on ad's just being displayed without even being clicked. 

I don't exactly know how AdSense registers impressions. Since the 18th (when I turned on ads for Guests), the board shows that there have been 22,214 ad 'impressions'. That's how many times that the board has registered that an ad was shown. 

In the AdSense CP though, they only show 5,031 impressions in that same time span. 

47 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't exactly know how AdSense registers impressions. Since the 18th (when I turned on ads for Guests), the board shows that there have been 22,214 ad 'impressions'. That's how many times that the board has registered that an ad was shown. 

In the AdSense CP though, they only show 5,031 impressions in that same time span. 

quie a discrepancy. Even on the low end of 12 cents, and 5,031 impressions, youd be set to raise a nice chunk that should be more than enough to sustain the boards I think. 

If you got 30k impressions for the year at .12 each we are still talking about $3,600. Thats awesome.

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

If you got 30k impressions for the year at .12 each we are still talking about $3,600. Thats awesome.

It would be $0.12 per thousand, not per impression. So 30,000/1,000 would be 30, then 30 x .12 which would be $3.60. 

56 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It would be $0.12 per thousand, not per impression. So 30,000/1,000 would be 30, then 30 x .12 which would be $3.60. 

oh man. math...

thats not that good. hopefully it wont be on the low end then.

59 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

oh man. math...

thats not that good. hopefully it wont be on the low end then.

lol Yeah, when you said $3600, I had to stop and think... 'did I miscalculate??' then I realized that you weren't factoring in that it's per thousand, not per impression lol. That makes a huge difference. 

Of course, the $0.12 figure wouldn't be the number for an entire month, or even an entire week. It could possibly be for an entire day, but it changes from day to day and can even change from hour to hour or minute to minute. 

I've had this problem going back to the old board....

Whenever I go to reply to a thread, my previous post content shows up and I have to hit the "Clear Editor" button.

I'm usng a Samsung Note 9, running Android 10 using Chrome.  Has been happening for years, so I don't think it's a problem with the version of Android. 

On 5/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

These guys can handle it. 

image.jpeg.c0ba643cc47ee14cb30b9df7cb1497fe.jpeg

Somebody photo shop Paul Blart in there

7 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I've had this problem going back to the old board....

Whenever I go to reply to a thread, my previous post content shows up and I have to hit the "Clear Editor" button.

I'm usng a Samsung Note 9, running Android 10 using Chrome.  Has been happening for years, so I don't think it's a problem with the version of Android. 

thats happened to me many times for years as well. I just accepted it as normal... Its happened on my phone, and my PC as well. that would be awesome if it could be fixed.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:39 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't know, it's kind of intermittent. Sometimes I get that same error, sometimes I don't...

Did you do something to the embedding of tweets? They've become miniaturized lol

Not really a bug, but a suggestion:

Can we make CVON, Other Sports, For your Entertainment, etc. their own Forums rather than a subforum of What's Up?

I get why the Eagles would have wanted them buried, but they probably deserve to be on their own now. (Hell, they could probably have subforums of their own)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Did you do something to the embedding of tweets? They've become miniaturized lol

No, no changes have been made (that I'm aware of). @Moderator12?

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

Not really a bug, but a suggestion:

Can we make CVON, Other Sports, For your Entertainment, etc. their own Forums rather than a subforum of What's Up?

I get why the Eagles would have wanted them buried, but they probably deserve to be on their own now. (Hell, they could probably have subforums of their own)

It can be looked into. 

4 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No, no changes have been made (that I'm aware of). @Moderator12?

Did not change anything.  Plus has been working for me fine.  

Test:

What platform are you on @Mike030270

On 5/21/2020 at 7:39 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't know, it's kind of intermittent. Sometimes I get that same error, sometimes I don't...

I think it was whenever something is embedded, like a tweet or facebook.

Seems to be working now though

5 minutes ago, Moderator12 said:

Did not change anything.  Plus has been working for me fine.  

Looked normal to me too (on Chrome).

Don't know if you can tell but the tweet has been shrunk thinner on my end on PC(new edge browser)

image.png.548f55597fc46386ad792e136124ab21.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Don't know if you can tell but the tweet has been shrunk thinner on my end on PC(new edge browser)

image.png.548f55597fc46386ad792e136124ab21.png

Is your browser set to 100% (size), or is it lower than that? 

Here's how it looks for me on Edge:

tweet.JPG

Are you using a mobile device?  I noticed that on my laptop (chrome) its normal but "skinny" on chrome when I'm using my android tablet.

44 minutes ago, Moderator12 said:

Are you using a mobile device?  I noticed that on my laptop (chrome) its normal but "skinny" on chrome when I'm using my android tablet.

Mine are also showing skinny, on PC ( chrome )

53 minutes ago, Moderator12 said:

Looks normal on mobile. I'm using my laptop when it's skinny. The new edge uses chrome so I guess that's why

I get the same issue on Twitter embeds, but noticed it on another website too.  I'm assuming they've made a change at their end - I'm using Firefox 76.0.