Board technical issues

Moderator12

On 6/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, mr_hunt said:

yes. i used it back in the day to make fun of folks who would start threads & then wind up making most of the replies to their own thread. :whistle:

:lol: 

After asking Invision, and their support community, it seems like very few people even knew that the feature existed... even the among the Invision employees. 

But the feature was done away with, and isn't something that's there and I can just activate (which I was hoping was the case). I can probably get someone to make a plugin for it, but since Invision is going to be coming out with an upgrade sometime in the near future, I'll hold off on that. If the upgrade is 'worth' upgrading to, it would likely nullify any modifications that I'd make to this version.

14 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

After asking Invision, and their support community, it seems like very few people even knew that the feature existed... even the among the Invision employees. 

But the feature was done away with, and isn't something that's there and I can just activate (which I was hoping was the case). I can probably get someone to make a plugin for it, but since Invision is going to be coming out with an upgrade sometime in the near future, I'll hold off on that. If the upgrade is 'worth' upgrading to, it would likely nullify any modifications that I'd make to this version.

yeah, not worth going out of your way for. thanks for checking. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Is the board slow for anyone else?

Maybe a tiny bit for me. I don't see any cause within this board (like a huge amount of visitors) and I don't see anything from the board on the server that could be an issue:

stats.JPG

So it could be some other site on the shared server, causing every other hosted site on that server to slow down. If it was this board, the CPU, Processes or Memory usage would be spiked (like happened during the draft). If it keeps up, I'll ask GoDaddy about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol I guess I should just expect anything that happens to be on my end :lol:

Mine is running a bit slow too, but I'm processing some video at the moment and that's slowing everything on my PC down. So I don't know if it's that, or the server (for me). 

The spoiler tag on mobile is missing again. Even when I make my phone horizontal

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

When I first came on when I got home from work, it seemed slow to respond, but seems ok now. 

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I had some slow moments tonight on the site, yes.

Why can't I post videos from my computer?

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Why can't I post videos from my computer?

Uploaded directly to the board, like images?

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Uploaded directly to the board, like images?

Yeah, seems that you can only upload images.

4 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah, seems that you can only upload images.

Uploading videos would hugely impact the boards amount of used server storage, and may also impact loading speed. 

Currently, storage space for our hosting package is 'unlimited', but I already know that we'll likely be upgrading to a business package sometime within the next couple of months and I don't know if those packages have 'unlimited' space like this package does. So that would be one concern that would have to be looked into. 

Does the video contain copyrighted material? If not, I could figure out a way for you to send it to me and I could upload it to the boards YouTube channel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Uploading videos would hugely impact the boards amount of used server storage, and may also impact loading speed. 

Currently, storage space for our hosting package is 'unlimited', but I already know that we'll likely be upgrading to a business package sometime within the next couple of months and I don't know if those packages have 'unlimited' space like this package does. So that would be one concern that would have to be looked into. 

Does the video contain copyrighted material? If not, I could figure out a way for you to send it to me and I could upload it to the boards YouTube channel.

Gothca. That makes sense. Yes, it is copyrighted.:ph34r: The video is actually on Youtube, but the quality of those versions seemed crappy. I found an .mp4 version on Facebook, though. Since, to my knowledge, you can't embed video from FB on the boards, I figured I'd just extract it and upload it from my hard drive. 

9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Gothca. That makes sense. Yes, it is copyrighted.:ph34r: The video is actually on Youtube, but the quality of those versions seemed crappy. I found an .mp4 version on Facebook, though. Since, to my knowledge, you can't embed video from FB on the boards, I figured I'd just extract it and upload it from my hard drive. 

How big is the file?

ay yo.

Not a recurring issue at least yet, but just a heads up I just got this message on a page when I clicked a notification to take me to the response to my post.

image.thumb.png.a61d6072c55dffad1353d2fb04e63a50.png

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How big is the file?

5,594 kB

On 6/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

A workaround for Facebook embedding is to use the non-mobile link and it will embed. 
The board doesn’t like the m in m.facebook.com/whateverthevideois

So I usually click share and copy the link then open safari and past it in the address bar and remove the m and then copy the new link and it should paste into the text editor here

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

A workaround for Facebook embedding is to use the non-mobile link and it will embed. 
The board doesn’t like the m in m.facebook.com/whateverthevideois

So I usually click share and copy the link then open safari and past it in the address bar and remove the m and then copy the new link and it should paste into the text editor here

Well, would you look at that...it worked!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, HazletonEagle said:

ay yo.

Not a recurring issue at least yet, but just a heads up I just got this message on a page when I clicked a notification to take me to the response to my post.

Let me know if it continues or happens often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bug but any chance we can remove the rule of no curse words in memes/gifs/pictures? At least in CVON? It's annoying having to edit them just to post

/rant over

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, looking for some help / guidance. 

I use my mobile to post and create threads. For some reason recently when I post a new thread the link and my own comments are captured within the quote even though I put it outside of the [ quote] [/quote]. Anyone got any advice on how to resolve this?

Can’t paste YouTube links in comments off phone (iPhone, default safari browser)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hey guys, looking for some help / guidance. 

I use my mobile to post and create threads. For some reason recently when I post a new thread the link and my own comments are captured within the quote even though I put it outside of the [ quote] [/quote]. Anyone got any advice on how to resolve this?

Make sure there are spaces between the text you don't want quoted, the quote function will sometimes lump everything together.

For links, use the hyperlink icon and paste and insert.  Then hit enter to give a space. Then copy the text (like an article in 411 which is what you're probably referencing).  Then type the quote brackets around it before and after.  Or, if you turn your phone sideways the quote icon should show up depending on your browser/device.  So you could highlight all the text then hit that button.  

On 7/26/2020 at 2:53 PM, Jenkins27 said:

Can’t paste YouTube links in comments off phone (iPhone, default safari browser)

Are there options when you paste, such as paste vs paste as plain text, or option to embed?  Or just paste?