Board technical issues

Moderator12

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Any idea why the board crashed during the 4th quarter last night?

Gannon was in charge of the servers.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Any idea why the board crashed during the 4th quarter last night?

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

Is there a reason I can't look through old threads recently moved to TATE Classics? If I search a random page number, I just get an error page. Thanks.

3 hours ago, schuy7 said:

Is there a reason I can't look through old threads recently moved to TATE Classics? If I search a random page number, I just get an error page. Thanks.

Talking about the most recent Blog thread? That's such a large thread that it's taking time for the archive function to move it. Archiving, just to explain, moves the thread out of our main database and into a separate one. That makes for less of a strain on the main database.

Anyway, it's not a fast process for 1500+ pages. Earlier today, when I checked it, there were fewer than 200 pages completed. Later, it was around 700. So by tomorrow (2/15), it should be completed. 

Also, those archived threads are no longer searchable with our search feature. But there's a way to make that work, and I intend on making that modification when I get a chance. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Talking about the most recent Blog thread? That's such a large thread that it's taking time for the archive function to move it. Archiving, just to explain, moves the thread out of our main database and into a separate one. That makes for less of a strain on the main database.

Anyway, it's not a fast process for 1500+ pages. Earlier today, when I checked it, there were fewer than 200 pages completed. Later, it was around 700. So by tomorrow (2/15), it should be completed. 

Also, those archived threads are no longer searchable with our search feature. But there's a way to make that work, and I intend on making that modification when I get a chance. 

Awesome, thank you.

I think the "Bold" edit style stopped working with the tinkering of the themes. Nothing is bolded at all on laptop/desktop. On Mobile it's just slightly more bold than regular text. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think the "Bold" edit style stopped working with the tinkering of the themes. Nothing is bolded at all on laptop/desktop. On Mobile it's just slightly more bold than regular text. 

I had the same issue and gave @VaBeach_Eagle a heads up

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Adding onto this. I don't see bold in dark mode

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1 minute ago, paco said:

I had the same issue and gave @VaBeach_Eagle a heads up

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Adding onto this. I don't see bold in dark mode

Bolding is now a paid feature. After 25 uses of our Amazon link, you get that feature added back to your account... err... I mean, I'll look into it. 

• Haha 3

Why are all my posts in red italics? 

Spoiler

I had to do it

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Bolding is now a paid feature. After 25 uses of our Amazon link, you get that feature added back to your account... err... I mean, I'll look into it. 

It's only broken in the dark mode theme, which is the default.  

I'll try to take a look as well later once I free up.  

9 minutes ago, Moderator12 said:

It's only broken in the dark mode theme, which is the default.  

I'll try to take a look as well later once I free up.  

I've talked to Mark about that previously, so it's on his list. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've talked to Mark about that previously, so it's on his list. 

Sounds good, because this is an area I know only enough to be dangerous.  

1 minute ago, Moderator12 said:

Good deal.  Because this is an area I know only enough to be dangerous.  :lol: 

It may be that because it's in dark mode, the best solution will be to bold the text, then add a different color. Because even though it looks like it isn't bolded, it actually is. But it just doesn't show very prominently in dark mode. 

Below are a few examples.

Not Bold

Bold

Bold 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It may be that because it's in dark mode, the best solution will be to bold the text, then add a different color. Because even though it looks like it isn't bolded, it actually is. But it just doesn't show very prominently in dark mode. 

Not Bold

Bold

Bold 

Could you just change the default color of the text in dark mode so bold would show up?

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Could you just change the default color of the text in dark mode so bold would show up?

It was the same when the text was a different color. It's the background that kind of masks the fact that bold, is BOLD.  I'm going to see if maybe the color of bold text can be changed, but we could run into problems there too. 

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm curious why instagram links don't embed but twitter does

That and Facebook are issues with those services. I've asked Invision about it, as have others who run boards, and they are 'looking into it'. So we'll see. 

On 2/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Not Bold

Bold

Bold 

Bold no longer works.  If you try to bold something ... nothing.  If you post something from an article in which bold is in use, it does not post with bold.  Example below (first is as printed in article, second is from after having posted in 411).

image.png.a76816cb5fdb03a5b3bcc838771ec48d.png

image.thumb.png.5d983336040fa171a963ed82c0f5945e.png

• 3 weeks later...

I cant get on Conflicting Views and Other News.  The page will time out on my laptop and phone. 

I can get to specific pages if I click on someone's avatar and see where they last posted though but not the main page directly 

Screenshot_20230308-114411.png

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I cant get on Conflicting Views and Other News.  The page will time out on my laptop and phone. 

I can get to specific pages if I click on someone's avatar and see where they last posted though but not the main page directly 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230308-114411.png

Are you logged on when you try or are you viewing as a guest? 

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Are you logged on when you try or are you viewing as a guest? 

Logged in 

On 3/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

Logged in 

I was thinking about the issue earlier (after I replied), and I think I know the issue you're having. 

In the image below, I'm in WU. So go to WU and look at the top of the forum (under the sub-forums listing):

Spoiler

image.png

See those two icons next to 'Start new topic'?

Which of those two icons is active (for me, it's the one on the left). If yours is the one on the right, click the one on the left and then try to get into CVON and see if it works. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was thinking about the issue earlier (after I replied), and I think I know the issue you're having. 

In the image below, I'm in WU. So go to WU and look at the top of the forum (under the sub-forums listing):

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

See those two icons nest to 'Start new topic'?

Which of those two icons is active (for me, it's the one on the left). If yours is the one on the right, click the one on the left and then try to get into CVON and see if it works. 

That worked! 

• Like 1

@VaBeach_Eagle

Curious: Pasting a link works, but there's a link icon where you can past the URL as well.  Is the only reason for that so you can relabel the text of the link?

If I recall, didn't older versions of the board not allow you to paste the link you HAD to use the link icon?  It seems like now you can just paste.  Or does it depend on the type of site?  Example I just copied and pasted this link without using the link icon:  

https://overthecap.com/player/darius-slay/2358