Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

I think Disney don't know what to do with Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm etc at this point.

The best thing Disney can do is for the writers to write good non-controversial/traditional stuff, performers to perform that, the Directors to direct that  and outside of that, keep their mouths and social media profiles quiet. The issue is, how many people have just checked out at this point?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

So.  Social media buzz does not equal box office performance:

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-box-office-mcu-lowest-record-break/

Even I didn't think the Marvels would struggle to make $200m in the box office. Rather sums the gap between Disney, the shills and the normies at the moment.

Disney is trying to hide behind COVID/misogyny as an excuse; other content was filmed at the same time and didn't suffer. Just admit you got it and delayed the release because you knew you had a turd of a film on your hands

8 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

So.  Social media buzz does not equal box office performance:

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-box-office-mcu-lowest-record-break/

Even I didn't think the Marvels would struggle to make $200m in the box office. Rather sums the gap between Disney, the shills and the normies at the moment.

Disney is trying to hide behind COVID/misogyny as an excuse; other content was filmed at the same time and didn't suffer. Just admit you got it and delayed the release because you knew you had a turd of a film on your hands

I think it's a number of factors.

• Releasing on Nov 10th. Not summer blockbuster time, not spring and not near Christmas.  People are busy with holiday prep
  • People know they can wait until Disney+, with the cost of going to the theater especially with kids it has to be worth it
  • A lot of people are struggling to buy gas and groceries
  • In general, home TV setups with surround sound have helped reduce ticket sales.  Even Mission Impossible didn't do as well and that was in summer.
  • Brie Larson is unlikeable, her interviews the first time around turned people off.  
  • The recent MCU phase hasn't been that good.  I think it will pick up with Deadpool 3 or other properties people will care more about.  I haven't even watched Loki season 2, and I'm not excited about any future MCU project I've heard about.  Blade was going to be awesome with Mahersha Ali...then they said they were giving him a back seat to make it about women, now rethinking that.  The new Captain America is going to be a wokefest of diversity and progressive politics worse than the TV show was.
  • They're making too much content and almost none of it is as good as the best MCU leading up to Endgame.  I've talked to some friends who used to love all the content and if they miss a TV show or a movie they feel like they don't know what's going on.  One guy said he doesn't know where to start, does he need to watch a TV show to understand a new movie, etc.  
  • The Marvels doesn't have star power.  Brie Larson was always a bad choice for the role.  Their marketing was relying on fans wanting to see a post credit scene hinting at the X-Men.  No one knows the villain, those comics aren't as popular.  If you didn't see WandaVision or don't remember, you don't know who Monica is or why she has "Marvel" powers.  If you didn't watch Ms Marvel, you don't care about some teen girl teaming up with Captain Marvel.
  • Unfortunately, it's just tough to sell 3 female leads when the main lead is unlikable and the other 2 were only previously in a TV show.  Like the all girl teamup in Endgame, why does it happen to be 3 women, and the villain is a woman?  How convenient.  A big portion of fans can tell when it feels like forced diversity just for diversity sake and it's a turnoff.  
  • Like 1

People showed out for Barbie and Oppenheimer, and did for the Five Nights at Freddie's and Sound of Freedom + Taylor Swift's concerts.  It shows there is money there, if the presentation warrants it.

But yeah, Brie Larson is just unlikeable and I guess a great summary of where Marvel has gone wrong.  Rumours are Disney has lost $700m+ on the big box office films this year.

23 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

But yeah, Brie Larson is just unlikeable and I guess a great summary of where Marvel has gone wrong.  Rumours are Disney has lost $700m+ on the big box office films this year.

Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars. :lol:

On 12/6/2023 at 5:35 PM, NOTW said:

Brie Larson is unlikeable, her interviews the first time around turned people off.  

Every Record Captain Marvel Has Broken

PUBLISHED APR 9, 2019

Here's every box office record Captain Marvel has broken, from its opening weekend to becoming the highest-grossing female superhero movie worldwide

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-movie-records/

3 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars. :lol:

if Brie Larson is so likeable, why didn't this film make a billion again or break even?  Interested to hear your thoughts

43 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Every Record Captain Marvel Has Broken

PUBLISHED APR 9, 2019

Here's every box office record Captain Marvel has broken, from its opening weekend to becoming the highest-grossing female superhero movie worldwide

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-movie-records/

Yes that was the first one, this is about why the 2nd one is a failure, and was 1 of 9 factors I suggested. 

The 1st one was sandwiched between Infinity War & Endgame. It was promoted as a key movie to see relating to how they stop Thanos and there was so much fan anticipation. They could have cast anyone and people would have seen it. It was at the height of the MCU, and released in March and was a must see leading into Endgame.

After seeing the movie, fans criticized her casting & performance and were turned off by her comments in media addressing her critics. The debate about her being unlikable and bad casting is well known and has gone on for years. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes that was the first one, this is about why the 2nd one is a failure, and was 1 of 9 factors I suggested. 

The 1st one was sandwiched between Infinity War & Endgame. It was promoted as a key movie to see relating to how they stop Thanos and there was so much fan anticipation. They could have cast anyone and people would have seen it. It was at the height of the MCU, and released in March and was a must see leading into Endgame.

After seeing the movie, fans criticized her casting & performance and were turned off by her comments in media. The debate about her being unlikable and bad casting is well known and has gone on for years. 

yeah, the first one was made out to be a big part of the infinity war saga, plus it had a lot of 90s nostagia. that alone pads box office numbers

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

After seeing the movie, fans criticized her casting & performance and were turned off by her comments in media addressing her critics. The debate about her being unlikable and bad casting is well known and has gone on for years. 

Uh no, it wasn't after they saw the movie, it got review bombed by incels before opening weekend because of all the same reasons and yet it still broke records. If she was so unlikeable to the general movie going public, it wouldn't have grossed a billion at the box office. 

She's a perfectly suitable lead, the biggest reasons why this was a flop is partly because of mcu burnout from oversaturation (quantumnia had weak returns too) and also because it had almost no marketing to speak of whatsoever due to the strike. Has almost nothing to do with misogyny or likeability as evidenced by the first one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

if Brie Larson is so likeable, why didn't this film make a billion again or break even?  Interested to hear your thoughts

See above.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Uh no, it wasn't after they saw the movie, it got review bombed by incels before opening weekend because of all the same reasons and yet it still broke records. If she was so unlikeable to the general movie going public, it wouldn't have grossed a billion at the box office. 

She's a perfectly suitable lead, the biggest reasons why this was a flop is partly because of mcu burnout from oversaturation (quantumnia had weak returns too) and also because it had almost no marketing to speak of whatsoever due to the strike. Has almost nothing to do with misogyny or likeability as evidenced by the first one.

And as I said, people were going to see the first one no matter who the actress was.  And again, it was 1 of many factors for the 2nd one not doing well.  It's very well known a lot of people don't like Larson in the role.  Some people do, so it's not "the" factor, it's one of them.

46 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And as I said, people were going to see the first one no matter who the actress was.  And again, it was 1 of many factors for the 2nd one not doing well.  It's very well known a lot of people don't like Larson in the role.  Some people do, so it's not "the" factor, it's one of them.

Oh ok, so they hate watched it to the tune of a billion dollars. :lol:

i'll watch the marvels when it hits disney+.  actually just finished ms. marvel the other day because i wanted to know the characters before watching the marvels. it was okay for a show featuring so many annoying teens.

idk if marvel can ever recapture the greatness that let to infinity wars/endgame. most of those movies were very well done & had just the right amount of widely known characters to balance with the ones most had never heard of before. we'll see. 

17 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Oh ok, so they hate watched it to the tune of a billion dollars. :lol:

No, not at all what I said.  It's not worth arguing about anyway.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

No, not at all what I said.  It's not worth arguing about anyway.

first time in a forums ?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

first time in a forums ?

Yes, I'm a n00b at this.  Can you help?  Why are some of my posts showing in red italics?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes, I'm a n00b at this.  Can you help?  Why are some of my posts showing in red italics?

zip it, hate watcher. 

I see one of the Disney boner boys has arrived to tell everyone in here how wrong they are about why his favorite company is bombing at the box office :roll: 

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I see one of the Disney boner boys has arrived to tell everyone in here how wrong they are about why his favorite company is bombing at the box office :roll: 

I'm the boner boy? You probably have more posts in this thread than I do. :lol: 

On 11/15/2023 at 1:20 PM, mikemack8 said:

I would go a step further and say that Strange was ridiculous to even entertain Peter's initial request just because his feelings were hurt.  Mr. Protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats is going to cast a dangerous spell simply because a high school kid is getting bullied on social media?  LOL no 

:roll: 

• Haha 1