• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Sure genres go hot and cold in cycles, but it usually centers around the quality.  Sword and Sandals came back in a big way with Lotr, then just as it was going out got picked up again by GoT.  Now its back down.  Superheroes however went on a run I don't think we've seen since Westerns back in the 50's and 60's.  Some 40+ big budget movies and yet its hard to make a case for more than a half dozen that will actually stand up a decade from now.  That level of bad and prolific deserves a backlash IMO.

you're making the same point as me then. There are lots of big budget blockbusters that are dumb and just for fun that won't stand the test of time. The Fast & Furious franchise, Transformers, Godzilla/Monstervers, Jurassic Park/World, They milked the Harry Potter, LOTR, GoT, Wonka and other franchises with spinoffs and prequels. Disney is remaking all their movies in live action and some are awful but they're making money. Sometimes it works. The new TMNT and Godzilla Minus One were really good, as a couple examples. You can make this argument about any genre. Hollywood makes a bunch of stuff and most of it won't stand the test of time despite making money. 

Martin Scorcese was vocal about criticizing comic book movies, yet he's repeated the same mob movie several times with no originality. The Irishman was boring af. The Wolf of Wall Street used the same tropes he always does. Yet he's a "filmmaker."

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

you're making the same point as me then. There are lots of big budget blockbusters that are dumb and just for fun that won't stand the test of time. The Fast & Furious franchise, Transformers, Godzilla/Monstervers, Jurassic Park/World, They milked the Harry Potter, LOTR, GoT, Wonka and other franchises with spinoffs and prequels. Disney is remaking all their movies in live action and some are awful but they're making money. Sometimes it works. The new TMNT and Godzilla Minus One were really good, as a couple examples. You can make this argument about any genre. Hollywood makes a bunch of stuff and most of it won't stand the test of time despite making money. 

Martin Scorcese was vocal about criticizing comic book movies, yet he's repeated the same mob movie several times with no originality. The Irishman was boring af. The Wolf of Wall Street used the same tropes he always does. Yet he's a "filmmaker."

You're giving examples of franchises that had maybe 2/6 or 3/8 good movies. Harry Potter was like 4/11, Lotr 4/6. MCU/DCU went like 13/48.  

Heck even much maligned Star wars is still around 6/12, its the shows that have missed the mark.  MCU has an awful record on shows as well as movies.

34 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

You're giving examples of franchises that had maybe 2/6 or 3/8 good movies. Harry Potter was like 4/11, Lotr 4/6. MCU/DCU went like 13/48.  

Heck even much maligned Star wars is still around 6/12, its the shows that have missed the mark.  MCU has an awful record on shows as well as movies.

Marvel Studios has more hits than misses. That just gets to subjective opinions but generally this current phase is generally considered worse. Even so, GOTG3 and Spider-Man No Way Home were well received and liked. The TV shows are mostly well liked. It's just that they haven't been able to match the Infinity War/Endgame buildup. Thor 4 was terrible. Ant-Man Quantumania people thought was either was average or bad. Eternals was average. So a mixed bag for movies, but most of the TV shows well liked.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:54 AM, UK Eagle said:

It was fun while it lasted. Lol

History is fun. Bigots have been calling X-Men too progressive or "woke" for as long as it's existed. The writers and artists had been threatened with boycotts dating back decades once morons started realizing the comic series was literally created to be a not-so-subtle allegory for the civil rights movement. The entire point of the narrative, even including the 90's animated series, has always been about social tolerance, you either just never realized it or were too young to care.

Don't believe me? I dare you to go back and watch the scene in X2 where Bobby tells his parents he's a mutant and tell me with a straight face what blatantly obvious message the director was intending to send there. The Legacy Virus from the animated series was also partially a reference to AIDS which was dominating the news cycle at the time and assumed by many to only afflict gay men prior to Magic Johnson's announcement. Hell, look at this "fan letter" in 1968 as a response to inclusive messaging of The Silver Surfer comics. If this sort of thing bothers you, maybe you were never intended to appreciate the actual purpose of the X-Men dating back to its inception.

4 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

History is fun. Bigots have been calling X-Men too progressive or "woke" for as long as it's existed. The writers and artists had been threatened with boycotts dating back decades once morons started realizing the comic series was literally created to be a not-so-subtle allegory for the civil rights movement. The entire point of the narrative, even including the 90's animated series, has always been about social tolerance, you either just never realized it or were too young to care.

Don't believe me? I dare you to go back and watch the scene in X2 where Bobby tells his parents he's a mutant and tell me with a straight face what blatantly obvious message the director was intending to send there. The Legacy Virus from the animated series was also partially a reference to AIDS which was dominating the news cycle at the time and assumed by many to only afflict gay men prior to Magic Johnson's announcement. Hell, look at this "fan letter" in 1968 as a response to inclusive messaging of The Silver Surfer comics. If this sort of thing bothers you, maybe you were never intended to appreciate the actual purpose of the X-Men dating back to its inception.

Plenty of programs, films and series have been left leaning/progressive/whatever over 30-40+ years if someone wants to categorise it as that - note I am not personally saying that. Done smartly and carefully (as you suggest), it can be a very powerful societal message. But done repetitively, it becomes preaching vs entertaining.  

Bob Eiger suggested Disney were going to quieten it down just a few months ago as they have realised it's "bad for business":

Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed the company will 'quiet the noise' around cultural issues because it has shown to be bad for business

And so far, they've showed little sign they are willing to do that; to be fair, they have every right to carry on as they are but will have to accept their own phrase that it's bad for business. 

Will Disney's shareholders see that as the board following their responsibilities to maximise revenue for their shareholders?  I'm not a shareholder, so it's for them to answer and not me. But time will tell on that - and the lack of overall MCU related content coming soon suggests that they are at least realising that bad content = bad ratings = lack of profit/D+ subscribers.

BTW, I won't be going into a long winded debate on this as its not the worth time suck.  I have beer to drink instead

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Plenty of programs, films and series have been left leaning/progressive/whatever over 30-40+ years if someone wants to categorise it as that - note I am not personally saying that. Done smartly and carefully (as you suggest), it can be a very powerful societal message. But done repetitively, it becomes preaching vs entertaining.  

Bob Eiger suggested Disney were going to quieten it down just a few months ago as they have realised it's "bad for business":

Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed the company will 'quiet the noise' around cultural issues because it has shown to be bad for business

And so far, they've showed little sign they are willing to do that; to be fair, they have every right to carry on as they are but will have to accept their own phrase that it's bad for business. 

Will Disney's shareholders see that as the board following their responsibilities to maximise revenue for their shareholders?  I'm not a shareholder, so it's for them to answer and not me. But time will tell on that - and the lack of overall MCU related content coming soon suggests that they are at least realising that bad content = bad ratings = lack of profit/D+ subscribers.

BTW, I won't be going into a long winded debate on this as its not the worth time suck.  I have beer to drink instead

Enjoy your beer and continue to ignore the entire point of why X-Men was created in the first place. 

If you grew up watching that cartoon, you are invested in that story arc for what it is - even for purely nostalgic purposes. Why feel the need to change or tweak it over just letting the story play out as conceptualised? 

And while that is happening, create X-Men 2025 in parallel and write that story for the modern audience.  You get the views from the nerds now that may bleed into the new X-men property and you may then capture a new younger audience too - and for Disney, they can then align the characters into Fortnite at the same time.

6 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

If you grew up watching that cartoon, you are invested in that story arc for what it is - even for purely nostalgic purposes. Why feel the need to change or tweak it over just letting the story play out as conceptualised? 

And while that is happening, create X-Men 2025 in parallel and write that story for the modern audience.  You get the views from the nerds now that may bleed into the new X-men property and you may then capture a new younger audience too - and for Disney, they can then align the characters into Fortnite at the same time.

Yeah I know, you're just a "concerned Marvelite" who doesn't want his favorite comic TV series to be ruined by something that really doesn't concern the show creators.

• Haha 1

so, the marvels. meh at best, but it did show that females are just as power hungry, evil and stupidly pigheaded as men. 

so, if that was the intent of the moviemakers, then job well done !!!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

so, the marvels. meh at best, but it did show that females are just as power hungry, evil and stupidly pigheaded as men. 

They had an opportunity with Khan and Danvers and blew it. Khan met her idol who wasn't all she thought which is a lesson many people learn, the old adage about meeting your idols. They didn't do anything with her frustration at not saving everyone. Carol simply said you can't save everyone. It could have been growth for the young hero to learn that lesson, while also having Carol and her connect and "make up" to get an understanding. They just moved on. It could have helped Kamala as she's now going to start the Young Avengers, it could have helped grow her leadership and maturity. I suppose the experience did, but they didn't spend time on the character development.

It was also weird that Kamala's entire family moved from Jersey City to Louisiana in Monica's old house. Just pick up and move entirely? What about their jobs, school, extended family, etc. That was just weird.

Not to mention how it is not properly connected following the Secret Invasion show and what happened in that. It's starting to feel like the Star Wars sequels without an overall plan. They basically want to do timelines and get to Secret Wars but it's messy along the way.

yeah, the movie was definitely missing on a few things. 

i wished they missed the musical portion, but i digress. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

This review from IGN says the quiet bit out loud in the section "War Crimes, MCU Style" and after,

https://za.ign.com/the-marvels/186128/feature/the-marvels-moves-too-fast-to-deal-with-its-darkest-implication

I genuinely believe the writers etc don't have the critical thinking capability to understand how they portrayed Captain Marvel in that movie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

This review from IGN says the quiet bit out loud in the section "War Crimes, MCU Style" and after,

https://za.ign.com/the-marvels/186128/feature/the-marvels-moves-too-fast-to-deal-with-its-darkest-implication

I genuinely believe the writers etc don't have the critical thinking capability to understand how they portrayed Captain Marvel in that movie.

A Dive Into The Marvels | HIGHER, FURTHER, FASTER – Geek Freaks

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2024 at 1:18 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

yeah, the movie was definitely missing on a few things. 

i wished they missed the musical portion, but i digress. 

There's a musical portion?  For reals?

Wait What Meme Discover more interesting Confused, Funny, Wait, What memes.  https://www.idlememe.com/wait-what-meme-… | Teaching humor, Teacher humor,  Teacher memes

30 minutes ago, sameaglesfan said:

There's a musical portion?  For reals?

Wait What Meme Discover more interesting Confused, Funny, Wait, What memes.  https://www.idlememe.com/wait-what-meme-… | Teaching humor, Teacher humor,  Teacher memes

sorry, i should've put that in a spoiler quote. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sameaglesfan said:

That's OK - I can't imagine watching it.

I watched it. And then forgot I had watched it the next day. 

They should have taken a break after Endgame and reset. Bigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

• Like 2