• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

The Deadpool 3 trailer is dropping today and from what is being suggested, it's a proper multiverse madness film with lots of cameos.I'm intrigued but cautious because it's Disney

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

Did that villain have the power stone? Danvers can destroy ships & handle Thanos with all the stones but not this villain? How are the Skrulls in this separate from the ones in Secret Invasion where supposedly they were the only ones left? The writing is all over the place. 

This is the Rey Palpantine Skywalker conundrum.  You make the character over powered, give them an ability to learn new skills at a click of a finger and give them few character flaws or redeeming qualiies, you write yourself into a corner after 1 film. What else can they do but win easily? And if the writers are not good, they can't concoct a story to mitigate it.

Tony Stark had issues. Spiderman had issues. So did Superman.

That trailer looks awesome & my excitement for this move is still very high. I’ll be seeing it opening day.

I know you can’t base everything around a trailer but I’m relieved after watching this one, so far doesn’t look like Disney has dropped the ball on this one

They had me on the trailer when they mentioned Disney, pegging and a hard stare at the camera.

Let's see what it brings as the TVA is there 🤮, but the trailer at least felt a step change from the usual Disney stuff. One or two observations that maybe spoilerish are

Spoiler

Looks like the comic at the end of the trailer is the Deadpool Secret Wars one. So could be a reference to what will occur

And another one.  Looks like they are ripping on the end of 20th Century Fox too

On 2/12/2024 at 7:14 AM, UK Eagle said:

They had me on the trailer when they mentioned Disney, pegging and a hard stare at the camera.

Let's see what it brings as the TVA is there 🤮, but the trailer at least felt a step change from the usual Disney stuff. One or two observations that maybe spoilerish are

Reveal hidden contents

Looks like the comic at the end of the trailer is the Deadpool Secret Wars one. So could be a reference to what will occur

And another one.  Looks like they are ripping on the end of 20th Century Fox too

My guess is the TVA is a very quick tool to get him into another multi-verse/branch so he can meet up with other characters. It will be interesting though when they introduce something only on a TV show and then mention it in a movie, if people haven't seen the TV show they have to spend some time explaining it.

As for the spoiler:

Spoiler

Yes it's a 20th Century Fox logo. There are leaked set photos from last year if you want to search for them. They include Wolverine in his costume.

I was just reading an article about Madame Web. Some lowlights are

In a single-star review, the Guardian's Benjamin Lee called the film "as dumb and schlocky as the worst of the genre, with lousy network TV effects, uninvolving action and unfunny and inelegant dialogue".

Variety's Peter Debruge also slated the film, saying it felt "superfluous" in a "world already a little overcrowded with arachnid-related superheroes".

Rolling Stone called the latest in the SSU franchise "the Cats of superhero movies" - a reference to the derided 2019 film adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical.

Madame Web is "so much worse" than you have heard, David Fear brutally wrote, adding: "You look forward to a future in which this film's end credits are in your rearview mirror and gone from your memory."

The Hollywood Reporter said Madame Web was yet another film that falls into the category where "every year, studio executives dig up minor characters, dress them in a fog of hype and leave moviegoers to debate, defend or discard the finished product".

The last sentence unintentionally describes the MCU since 2019.  Probably not intended by the writer

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's see what they can muster up;

I hope for Disney's sake that they can actually make a good movie within a reasonable budget, decent CGI and ok script with the Fantastic Four.  Would be a step in the right direction from the recent hot messes they've created.

If that Godzilla film can have decent CGI in a small budget, not sure why Disney can't.

53 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's see what they can muster up;

I hope for Disney's sake that they can actually make a good movie within a reasonable budget, decent CGI and ok script with the Fantastic Four.  Would be a step in the right direction from the recent hot messes they've created.

If that Godzilla film can have decent CGI in a small budget, not sure why Disney can't.

That was a great example of making a movie with more practical effects, sets, humanizing the story and being more grounded while also having a sci-fi effects creature. The CGI should enhance the story and bring it to life, not BE the movie. 

Logan was a good grounded character film for a comic book movie. Winter Soldier was a spy action thriller type that was well done. Fantastic Four and Deadpool & Wolverine are a chance to breathe new life back in again. While I don't love the Loki series, it does have some good elements to build on with character growth and taking their time world building.

I had no idea there was a Godzilla film out until it was nominated for an Oscar.  That makes me want to see it because it sounds like a normal film - I enjoyed Logan because it was different and an alternative take on Wolverine.  More of that please!

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

I had no idea there was a Godzilla film out until it was nominated for an Oscar.  That makes me want to see it because it sounds like a normal film - I enjoyed Logan because it was different and an alternative take on Wolverine.  More of that please!

Godzilla Minus One is awesome. I don't even like the Godzilla movies that much but a friend of mine is a huge fan so I went to see it with him. I really liked it. The way they shot the movie reminds you of Jaws. It's not a CGI fest, it develops characters and it doesn't try to explain Godzilla it's just a monster. You should definitely see it. I don't like those kind of movies but as a film fan, I enjoyed it. 

After I saw it, I went and watch the recent "Mosterverse" Godzillas on Netflix, including the Godzilla vs Kong or whatever it's called. They were awful. Michael Bay level stupid.

6 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Just saw this on X about the Madame Web screenwriters.... Oh my

image.png.5750d92656837b5423233f837595abe4.png

Get ready for "It's Webbin' time!"

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Godzilla Minus One is awesome. I don't even like the Godzilla movies that much but a friend of mine is a huge fan so I went to see it with him. I really liked it. The way they shot the movie reminds you of Jaws. It's not a CGI fest, it develops characters and it doesn't try to explain Godzilla it's just a monster. You should definitely see it. I don't like those kind of movies but as a film fan, I enjoyed it. 

After I saw it, I went and watch the recent "Mosterverse" Godzillas on Netflix, including the Godzilla vs Kong or whatever it's called. They were awful. Michael Bay level stupid.

I'll wait for it to come out on BluRay but glad it's so good - I've not seen any western Godzilla film because all of the reviews of them are consistently crap

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

The original was one f the first things I watched on D+ when it was there. I hope they do the 90s versions justice

46 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Get ready for "It's Webbin' time!"

That's such a Hollywood thing. It's Webbin time means nothing and sounds lame.  It's Wimmin time is more relevant

9 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

It's Wimmin time is more relevant

Ooooh, that sounds stunning and brave.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

It's Wimmin time is more relevant

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

Ooooh, that sounds stunning and brave.

It would be: "It's womxn time."

Her non-binary lesbian Aunt tells her: "With great power, comes great responsibility to dismantle the patriarchy."

• Haha 1

As the MCU/DCU finally lurch their bloated carcasses into a death spiral, the only thing I can think of is how you fanboi idiots allowed this to go on for a full half decade more than it should have.  The quality was spiraling downhill consistently way before Infinity War.  Do any of you honestly have the gall to believe that any of the ant-man movies won't be looked at with scorn and running gags 10 years from now?   Shame on you all, you deserve to have Hulk turn gay.

People have talked about superhero fatigue for 20 years.

Star Wars/Star Trek, sci-fi, comics, sword & sandal, medieval/fantasy, horror, action, buddy cop action comedy, YA novel, monsters/vampire, zombie, rom-com, teen comedy, spoof/satire, historical biopic Oscar bait, Victorian era drama, war, spy, thriller, sports/true story inspiration, retro/nostalgia, indie character driven quirky stories, family films, sequels, prequels, remakes, adaptations, reboots...

Lots and lots of ideas get overdone and become stale...until they're done well. Regardless of genre or style, people respond to good stories, quality production, escapist entertainment, impressive effects or just turn your brain off comedy or action. 

The complaints about comic book movies can also be made about every other genre. There's always a mix of good, average, bad across genres. Just make a good movie. And you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. 

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

People have talked about superhero fatigue for 20 years.

Star Wars/Star Trek, sci-fi, comics, sword & sandal, medieval/fantasy, horror, action, buddy cop action comedy, YA novel, monsters/vampire, zombie, rom-com, teen comedy, spoof/satire, historical biopic Oscar bait, Victorian era drama, war, spy, thriller, sports/true story inspiration, retro/nostalgia, indie character driven quirky stories, family films, sequels, prequels, remakes, adaptations, reboots...

Lots and lots of ideas get overdone and become stale...until they're done well. Regardless of genre or style, people respond to good stories, quality production, escapist entertainment, impressive effects or just turn your brain off comedy or action. 

The complaints about comic book movies can also be made about every other genre. There's always a mix of good, average, bad across genres. Just make a good movie. And you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. 

Sure genres go hot and cold in cycles, but it usually centers around the quality.  Sword and Sandals came back in a big way with Lotr, then just as it was going out got picked up again by GoT.  Now its back down.  Superheroes however went on a run I don't think we've seen since Westerns back in the 50's and 60's.  Some 40+ big budget movies and yet its hard to make a case for more than a half dozen that will actually stand up a decade from now.  That level of bad and prolific deserves a backlash IMO.