Reagor over Jefferson

Philthy Jawn

On 11/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, Runtherock said:

Huge ego. I think Lurie and the rest are the same about showing that they’re smarter than anyone else. YOU and the rest of the league may think he’s the best receiver, but WE know things you don’t. Awesome.

Not taking the obvious talented player and taking the no name scrub to appear smarter than everyone else blows up in their faces literally every time. They are still waiting to be right for once. Just once so howie and can bust into Luries office without knocking and say SEE I TOLD YOU SO

4 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Not taking the obvious talented player and taking the no name scrub to appear smarter than everyone else blows up in their faces literally every time. They are still waiting to be right for once. Just once so howie and can bust into Luries office without knocking and say SEE I TOLD YOU SO

Sorry bud but Reagor was not a no name scrub and there were plenty who were worried about Jefferson's limitations. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sorry bud but Reagor was not a no name scrub and there were plenty who were worried about Jefferson's limitations. 

Na I’m not calling Reagor a scrub. I really like this kid and feel terribly he has to go out there and play with Wentz, and play for Pederson who is clueless about getting him the ball and integrating him into the offense. My post was meant for the many past Howie roseman failures. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think Reagor is a scrub either.  I think he certainly has the potential to be good if not great  The issue here is that we're crossing our fingers that he will  be as good as Jefferson, who looks to be on course to be a great WR.  That's incredibly frustrating.  Both Baldinger and Jaworksi have mentioned that the Vikings FO expressed absolute disbelief that we passed on him.  

Edit: What limitations?  The completely erroneous assumption that Jefferson could only play the slot?  Or the completely erroneous assumption that Jefferson doesn't have speed?

Whether it's fair to judge Reagor at this point or not, I don't understand why more people on this board aren't upset with passing on Jefferson.  Let's putting it this way,  With four more games to go, he already has nearly 1,000 yards receiving.  That's incredible for a rookie whose quarterback is Kirk Cousins, whose head coach is defense-oriented, and whose team is a perennial underachiever.  My god, Howie should lose his job for this draft along.  Look at Chin's performance today.  

46 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I don't think Reagor is a scrub either.  I think he certainly has the potential to be good if not great  The issue here is that we're crossing our fingers that he will  be as good as Jefferson, who looks to be on course to be a great WR.  That's incredibly frustrating.  Both Baldinger and Jaworksi have mentioned that the Vikings FO expressed absolute disbelief that we passed on him.  

Edit: What limitations?  The completely erroneous assumption that Jefferson could only play the slot?  Or the completely erroneous assumption that Jefferson doesn't have speed?

That whole Jefferson can only play out of slot non sense was such a joke to me. Like the Eagles have an abundance of great slot receivers and we just couldn’t possibly take another one. Newsflash: all the wrs on our roster sucked at the time of the draft! Smh you take Jefferson there 10/10

reagor looks good with the ball in his hands though so there is hope. A new hc who can scheme guys open the way we see every other coach do would help also

1 minute ago, Br3 said:

That whole Jefferson can only play out of slot non sense was such a joke to me. Like the Eagles have an abundance of great slot receivers and we just couldn’t possibly take another one. Newsflash: all the wrs on our roster sucked at the time of the draft! Smh you take Jefferson there 10/10

reagor looks good with the ball in his hands though so there is hope. A new qb/hc who can scheme guys open the way we see every other coach do would help also

I do have hope that Reagor can be good, but it feels like a wild to imagine him becoming as good as Jefferson.  What's more, we may have been able to draft Jefferson in the first and Reagor in the second had we not been wed to the self-promoting "quarterback factory" idea.

3 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I do have hope that Reagor can be good, but it feels like a wild to imagine him becoming as good as Jefferson.  What's more, we may have been able to draft Jefferson in the first and Reagor in the second had we not been wed to the self-promoting "quarterback factory" idea.

That’s even more disheartening we took a qb in the second and refuse to play him even when our starter is a bottom 5 qb. The Eagles and the Jets are competing for the most questionable, borderline stupid moves

2 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Whats more funny is we ALL thought the same about Nelson but now that he is on a new team with better coaching, better practice methods he is doing very well and a lot of snap on the outside. Just another note to mention on the Doug Sucks theory. 

The fact that Howie chose Reagor and not Jefferson is enough for me to know that Jefferson was always going to be better.

The pain will be eased when we take Chase in the upcoming draft. Chase, Reagor and Fulgham are a good start for this poor offense/team.

Being pissed about Whiteside over Metcalf is warranted. 

But being pissed about Reagor over Jefferson is still a stretch. Jefferson is in a way better situation. He had a QB that can actually throw him the ball and an OC that has a balanced offense. Jefferson definitely looks better now but Reagor must at least get a fair shot to prove himself

6 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I think we need to think though that Jefferson was always likely to be more ready to have an impact early. He was more polished coming out of college, in fact he was probably the most polished WR in the draft. And it could be that both Reagor and Jefferson go on to be great. 

With some of the logic going on in here the Raiders, Broncos and Cowboys all outsmarted themselves too. Jefferson is having a better season then all the receivers that were picked before him. 🙄

24 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

With some of the logic going on in here the Raiders, Broncos and Cowboys all outsmarted themselves too. Jefferson is having a better season then all the receivers that were picked before him. 🙄

Exactly. It's still way too early to make any true judgements on the 2020 WR class. And also I do think the style of play Jefferson has lends itself to early big numbers. He's more of a volume guy whereas Ruggs and Reagor aren't necessarily. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yup. Sometimes guys will have an immediate impact & look like a star only to fade away quickly. Sometimes guys have a slow start & become a household name for years 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sorry your post is nonsense, because they took the consensus top 3 receiver picks, if Howie had taken Jefferson and Reagor, Higgins, Shenault or Aiyuk had turned out better receivers, he's  taken the guy the scouting said we should and it's bitten us, that's something that happens, its when Howie goes off piste and thinks he knows better than scouts and mock drafters and it turns out he wasn't the smartest guy in the room that he gets legit criticism.

I say again, this is not the message board ****ing about a GM in his first draft not picking a guy in round 1 who went in round 4 and turned out to be a stud,  it's criticizing an experienced GM for not picking the guy who pretty much all the mock drafts and most of the columnists had listed as going to us as 4th WR off the board, a receiver that had just absolutely killed it in college, who was right there for the picking, who turned out to be an absolute star at the position.

Also, regarding the Jefferson might flame out and Reagor be better for the long term posts, if you can name more than 5 receivers in the history of the game that had a 1000 yard season as a rookie and turned out to be a flash in the pan I'm all ears. I got Michael Clayton, Kelvin Benjamin as guys who definitely disappointed to start you off.

I’m still all in on Reagor, I think the kid is going to be a hell of a receiver. I cannot kill him for not putting up great numbers while his QB is playing like a bottom 5 guy. 

25 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sorry your post is nonsense, because they took the consensus top 3 receiver picks, if Howie had taken Jefferson and Reagor, Higgins, Shenault or Aiyuk had turned out better receivers, he's  taken the guy the scouting said we should and it's bitten us, that's something that happens, its when Howie goes off piste and thinks he knows better than scouts and mock drafters and it turns out he wasn't the smartest guy in the room that he gets legit criticism.

I say again, this is not the message board ****ing about a GM in his first draft not picking a guy in round 1 who went in round 4 and turned out to be a stud,  it's criticizing an experienced GM for not picking the guy who pretty much all the mock drafts and most of the columnists had listed as going to us as 4th WR off the board, a receiver that had just absolutely killed it in college, who was right there for the picking, who turned out to be an absolute star at the position.

Also, regarding the Jefferson might flame out and Reagor be better for the long term posts, if you can name more than 5 receivers in the history of the game that had a 1000 yard season as a rookie and turned out to be a flash in the pan I'm all ears. I got Michael Clayton, Kelvin Benjamin as guys who definitely disappointed to start you off.

Im just not writing off the Reagor pick over a rookie season. Especially with the mess this team is . It's about team fit and I agreed that Reagor was the better fit. Just like everyone had cee see lamb as the best prospect coming out and he was still picked behind 2 other guys that were probably better fits for their teams

On 11/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, Saltpeter said:

I swear Gowton writes more "Eagles should have done X" articles than the other Eagles writers combined. Maybe that's why he's still writing for SB Nation.

So true! If he is the writer, the article will be some super-negative crap for sure. Even as we struggle, you can't help but think that guy is full of it.

Man, I wanted Metcalf more than anyone. And I remember the amount of crap I took for that! Oh, he's just a good athlete. How is he a star, have you watched his games.. yadayada. But now everybody is all like: That was so obvious! My granny would've known. 

I honestly believe Eagles drafting is lacking big time. But it is not like we never hit, either. Sander and Goedert come to mind, and jury is still out on Dillard. Hell, thinking about how it usually goes with WRs, even JJaw might become.. ok maybe that's a bit much to hope for.

Anyways, back to topic: I like Reagor, and having him over Jefferson still looks like the right choice to me. The way Wentz is playing at the moment, if roles were reversed I strongly believe we would have the very same thread about this. The situation is different! Truth to be told, I think we took Reagor too early. But that said, he will be a good WR for us, no doubt in my mind. 

So yeah, I would want us to do better. But all teams draft some duds and some studs. I would say Roseman is just.. a bit below average at it.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly. It's still way too early to make any true judgements on the 2020 WR class. And also I do think the style of play Jefferson has lends itself to early big numbers. He's more of a volume guy whereas Ruggs and Reagor aren't necessarily. 

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Yup. Sometimes guys will have an immediate impact & look like a star only to fade away quickly. Sometimes guys have a slow start & become a household name for years 

42 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m still all in on Reagor, I think the kid is going to be a hell of a receiver. I cannot kill him for not putting up great numbers while his QB is playing like a bottom 5 guy. 

Reagor is the least of our problems. He’s been decent in what has been a completely dysfunctional offence.

JJ has been playing lights out, but a lot of people on this board were crying out for a receiver who could be a genuine deep threat.

Reagor looks good, that’s enough for now. Let’s see how he develops, rather than making these stupid snap judgments.

Also, one of the largest justifications I recall for not taking Jefferson was that we already had Alshon and JJ, similar players, so Jefferson would be redundant. How’s that looking now? 

2 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Also, one of the largest justifications I recall for not taking Jefferson was that we already had Alshon and JJ, similar players, so Jefferson would be redundant. How’s that looking now? 

I’m not sure anybody used Alshon or JJ as arguments for not drafting Jefferson.

Archived