Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hurts is gonna have to have a big year to keep his job.

🏈

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, Alphagrand said:

There’s no "technically” about it.  He’s entering Year 3 and his contract says he’s going into Year 3, with no 5th year option.  That means Hurts will be demanding a huge contract extension after this season.  

Players don’t wait until their contracts expire before demanding more money.  Next year at this time we will be discussing Hurts (and his camp) not attending OTAs, whether or not he’ll be a no-show for training camp unless he gets a $40M AAV contract in his pocket.

There’s very little time to make a decision on Hurts; it’s now or never for him.

It's amazing the excuses he gets. "It was his first full year as a starter"

He's 3 freaking years in the NFL. He wasn't able to be rookie of the year last season. He's into his 3rd offseason

Also there's no Fing way he gets $40M unless he makes significant improvement. The amount of improvement he needs just seems impossible to do. People propped him up because of his running ability when he's really just a good backup QB. He's been given the keys to see if he can do anything. I think it's a waste but whatever

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Remind me where I laughed at PFF being a source. It seems, based on your words and the post I quoted earlier, that it's your own (side in the debate) that are using it to strengthen your position and then balking at PFF when it doesn't align with your narrative. 

I only question off because they will have him 32nd in so many categories and then go "oh yeah, 17th best QB" without being top 20 in yards, touchdowns, completion percentage. Just doesn't make any sense 

6 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

I only question off because they will have him 32nd in so many categories and then go "oh yeah, 17th best QB" without being top 20 in yards, touchdowns, completion percentage. Just doesn't make any sense 

"32nd in so many categories?"  You're beginning to believe your own exaggerations. It's easy to take three or 4 stats where his ranking is the lowest (compared to his other rankings), make a meme putting those stats together and driving a narrative that doesn't tell the whole picture. PFF's 2021 rankings, btw, have Hurts ranked 11 (17th is his ranking over the last 2 years (career)) overall. Do you think they would do that if all his stats were ranked 32?

31 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

"32nd in so many categories?"  You're beginning to believe your own exaggerations. It's easy to take three or 4 stats where his ranking is the lowest (compared to his other rankings), make a meme putting those stats together and driving a narrative that doesn't tell the whole picture. PFF's 2021 rankings, btw, have Hurts ranked 11 (17th is his ranking over the last 2 years (career)) overall. Do you think they would do that if all his stats were ranked 32?

11th is even more laughable smh 

21st yards, 23rd TDS, 28th completion percentage, 30th deep ball accuracy, 32nd deep ball accuracy under pressure, 30th tight window throws, 23rd deep ball accuracy to OPEN receivers, 17th deep ball accuracy outside pocket.....

That should not equate to 11th .... So yeah, I have questions . I doubt there are 6-10 stats that don't involve his mobility that are top ten, or at least enough of them to justify 20s and 30s rankings for most measurable passing stats to bring him to 11th 

PFF is a joke. 11th best QB lmao, look at the playoffs last year. He was easily the worst QB to make the playoffs. Only one that MIGHT have been worse was the ghost of big ben. So at the very least he's going to be 13th, 12th at best. Then look at some of the QBs that didn't make the playoffs:

Justin Herbert

Kirk Cousins

Russell Wilson

Mac Jones

Lamar Jackson

All 5 of those guys are better than hurts. So now you're looking at 18th, 17th at best. As of right now Hurts is a bottom half of the league, middle of the road quarterback based on everything we've seen so far.

And that doesn't even include guys like Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields or Zach Wilson who were actual rookies and not "basically rookies". Not to say those guys were good by any means last year, but if they improve at all there's a good chance they'll be better passers than hurts. 

Hopefully the dude figures it out, it makes team building a lot easier if you don't have to waste time trying to find a qb. I just don't see it happening

14 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hurts is gonna have a big year.

I honestly think with Brown here there's a chance if he can calm down his happy feet. Brown can cross right in front of Hurts for easy completions. 

10 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

If you proceed to the following link;

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-hurts/32004855-5276-7022-85cf-a74490936f42

Jalen Hurts NFL Profile (Draft) written by Lance Zierlein is as accurate today as the day he wrote it.

I saw a scout report from 2017 where he had the same issues. That's insane. I really don't understand why he's even being given the chance. It should be an open competition

People say he took us to the playoffs but it was him running instead of passing that really did anything. If he had a decent RB then we'd likely have the same run game. Our Oline is top ranked

The QB should NOT be leading the team in rushing yards

2 hours ago, greend said:

I honestly think with Brown here there's a chance if he can calm down his happy feet. Brown can cross right in front of Hurts for easy completions. 

Not sure that Hurts can stand there in the pocket long enough or can make the read that Brown is open.

And, can Hurts see over the OLine?

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

Not sure that Hurts can stand there in the pocket long enough or can make the read that Brown is open.

There's a chance is all I'm saying. Brown can be his guy.

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I saw a scout report from 2017 where he had the same issues. That's insane. I really don't understand why he's even being given the chance. It should be an open competition

People say he took us to the playoffs but it was him running instead of passing that really did anything. If he had a decent RB then we'd likely have the same run game. Our Oline is top ranked

The QB should NOT be leading the team in rushing yards

Thing is Dak Prescott had an almost identical scouting report.  wasn't til his senior year he improved the accuracy enough for teams to think he could develop that aspect into a bona foide starter.  Even to this day, when the pocket gets rough the accuracy issues pop up again. 

There's a reason why teams are forking 20m/yr for elite recievers, its because the metrics are showing elite recievers can make average Qb's viable options on a good enough team to win it all.  Hurts is no Rodgers, but if his receivers, backs, and OLine are better than what Rodgers has, well, he can beat him.

I'd think a town that already won with Nick Foles would understand that.  I'm also a Ravens fan.  My SB wining Qb's all time are Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles.  That's 3 chips in 20 years, not bad at all.

9 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I'm also a Ravens fan.  My SB wining Qb's all time are Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles. 

Wait What GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

7 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Thing is Dak Prescott had an almost identical scouting report.  wasn't til his senior year he improved the accuracy enough for teams to think he could develop that aspect into a bona foide starter.  Even to this day, when the pocket gets rough the accuracy issues pop up again. 

There's a reason why teams are forking 20m/yr for elite recievers, its because the metrics are showing elite recievers can make average Qb's viable options on a good enough team to win it all.  Hurts is no Rodgers, but if his receivers, backs, and OLine are better than what Rodgers has, well, he can beat him.

I'd think a town that already won with Nick Foles would understand that.  I'm also a Ravens fan.  My SB wining Qb's all time are Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles.  That's 3 chips in 20 years, not bad at all.

Foles is a better passer than Hurts

Rodgers shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion of Hurts

2 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Dude's an inch shorter than Joe f'ing Montana.

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Foles is a better passer than Hurts

Rodgers shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion of Hurts

Well thank God the SB isn't won at QB skill contest.  It's won by football teams and the Eagles are betting that all taht money they spent on the rest of the offense gives Hurts a shot to beat Rodgers when it counts the most.  I dunno, I think it's doable.  Rodgers and his ONE career SB win can and has been beaten many different ways.

13 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

If you proceed to the following link;

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-hurts/32004855-5276-7022-85cf-a74490936f42

Jalen Hurts NFL Profile (Draft) written by Lance Zierlein is as accurate today as the day he wrote it.

I've been telling people that he is a better version of Tim Tebow.........and there it is. :roll:

I'm praying that he magically turns into a pocket passer and only runs when he needs to, but I just don't see it.

1 hour ago, Eaglesfandan said:

I've been telling people that he is a better version of Tim Tebow.........and there it is. :roll:

I'm praying that he magically turns into a pocket passer and only runs when he needs to, but I just don't see it.

Taysom Hill was Tim tebow.  Hurts is going to be an NFL Qb for a long time, only question is will he be a low end franchise type, a fringe starter/top tier backup or just a pure backup.  But he will make his money in pro football.

58 minutes ago, Eaglesfandan said:

Yep, that is pretty accurate to what we all saw last year. He's very poised and you could tell he was trying to bring the team back several times last year but lacked the skills. Fixing his accuracy should give him a basic skill set to work with.

The processing speed thing could take years to fix. It depends on the root cause. It seems like a lot of these concepts are new to him and each concept builds on the next. Below is a link to explain all the pre-snap and post-snap reads and adjustments to counter the defense. All of that requires reading defenses, knowing your hot routes, throwing with anticipation and understanding the intent of the offense and not just the plays. None of this was asked of him at Alabama or Oklahoma so he may be encountering this stuff for the first time.

http://smartfootball.com/passing/quarterbacks-checklist-on-pass-plays#sthash.27v4KNLL.dpbs

Dude's an inch shorter than Joe f'ing Montana.

Now you're comparing Hurts to Joe Montana?

Hurts has happy feet and can't stand in the pocket.

And, Montana could read a defense.

Well thank God the SB isn't won at QB skill contest.  It's won by football teams and the Eagles are betting that all taht money they spent on the rest of the offense gives Hurts a shot to beat Rodgers when it counts the most.  I dunno, I think it's doable.  Rodgers and his ONE career SB win can and has been beaten many different ways.

Yes, he has been beaten many different ways in his 5 NFCCG appearances.  Gotta win a playoff game first.

22 hours ago, greend said:

No bueno.  Hurts doesn't throw the ball over the middle.

13 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No bueno.  Hurts doesn't throw the ball over the middle.

We'll see. I am no Hurts fan but I think Brown will definitely help his game 

18 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Yep, that is pretty accurate to what we all saw last year. He's very poised and you could tell he was trying to bring the team back several times last year but lacked the skills. Fixing his accuracy should give him a basic skill set to work with.

The processing speed thing could take years to fix. It depends on the root cause. It seems like a lot of these concepts are new to him and each concept builds on the next. Below is a link to explain all the pre-snap and post-snap reads and adjustments to counter the defense. All of that requires reading defenses, knowing your hot routes, throwing with anticipation and understanding the intent of the offense and not just the plays. None of this was asked of him at Alabama or Oklahoma so he may be encountering this stuff for the first time.

http://smartfootball.com/passing/quarterbacks-checklist-on-pass-plays#sthash.27v4KNLL.dpbs

So what you're saying is that he's basically a rookie.

Archived