Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

46 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Hurts biggest issue is he panics when there's no need to panic, that's all about preparation, he needs to take those earrings out of his ears, forget about the pretty boy thing and get his head in the playbook, if he does that I think everything else will fall into place.  

Earrings have nothing to do with it at all…

I don’t remember anyone ever questioning his work ethic…

I also don’t think it’s panic that he’s having trouble with…

Processing the look an NFL defense is giving, while they are moving and shifting, in 10-15 seconds pre-snap, knowing the zone responsibilities of the defenders in those alignments, then processing the route combination called for your receivers and which route is going to find the soft spot of the defense is not something just anyone can do.

Then he gets 1-2 seconds to determine if he was correct and pull the trigger before it’s too late…

If it were easy, there would be more than 10-12 NFL QB’s doing it successfully on a consistent basis. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Earrings have nothing to do with it at all…

How many great QBs have you seen with earrings in their ear?

You see, it's all about your state of mind, if you have a look at me attitude (earrings are all about look at me, ain't I pretty) then your state of mind isn't suited to play QB.

Moreover, he absolutely does panic, all one has to do is watch the playoff game, if you don't see a panicky QB then you must be blind.  If he'd get his head into the playbook he's realize that every pass play calls for a specific pass, with specific velocity and trajectory.  That's his accuracy problem, he's not ready to execute the plays as they should be executed, he doesn't know where his secondary options are, they is why you see him right right on so many plays, his head isn't in the game.

11 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

How many great QBs have you seen with earrings in their ear?

You see, it's all about your state of mind, if you have a look at me attitude (earrings are all about look at me, ain't I pretty) then your state of mind isn't suited to play QB.

Aren't you a big Kaepernick fan? No earrings, but the dude kisses his biceps and LOVES attention. Vick had earrings. Tim Tebow didn't. 

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

This thread took a weird turn.  :blink: 

Lol… yeah, who knew earrings have the problem the whole time?

This all started from the guy who thinks we live on a giant pancake. 

On 6/6/2022 at 2:29 PM, NOTW said:

Worth noting that Steichen called the plays halfway through last season already, so this will be a continuation.  

2nd year in the system, 3rd year with the team, beefed up O line, upgrade at WR, top rushing team in the NFL last year...there are zero excuses for Hurts this year.  

Didn't Hurts have the most rushing yards for the team? That shouldn't happen

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Yes.  Some will blame Sanders for missing 5 games... but Hurts also missed 2 games.  Generally speaking, when your QB is the leading rusher... that's a problem in the NFL.  

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Yes, he had 30 more total yards rushing than Sanders.  That the QB led the team in rushing is a separate point to what I was making.  I was pointing out the positives for the offense as a whole and that there are no excuses to be made if Hurts doesn't perform this year.  Can't use the excuse of having a new offense every year, he'll have a consistent OC and scheme.  Can't blame poor WRs like Reagor and JJAW, he has AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith.  Can't blame O line injuries they have a deep O line should they suffer injuries.  Can't blame the lack of a running game because they led the NFL in rushing.  Usually a strong running game is said to be needed to support a young or struggling QB.  Obviously Hurts himself is the biggest part of the rushing yards but still, they had a good group of RBs regardless.  Had Siri called more running plays in the first half of the year that might have been different.

Hurts has an offense built around him that a good QB should be able to have success with.  Last year he made some slight improvements but showed to be a one-read QB, too run happy and missed open receivers.  He did make some plays in the passing game, but his passing game is below average in some categories, average in others.  The offense is set up perfectly for him to have all the opportunity to step up and improve his passing game and he has no excuses.

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes, he had 30 more total yards rushing than Sanders.  That the QB led the team in rushing is a separate point to what I was making.  I was pointing out the positives for the offense as a whole and that there are no excuses to be made if Hurts doesn't perform this year.  Can't use the excuse of having a new offense every year, he'll have a consistent OC and scheme.  Can't blame poor WRs like Reagor and JJAW, he has AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith.  Can't blame O line injuries they have a deep O line should they suffer injuries.  Can't blame the lack of a running game because they led the NFL in rushing.  Usually a strong running game is said to be needed to support a young or struggling QB.  Obviously Hurts himself is the biggest part of the rushing yards but still, they had a good group of RBs regardless.  Had Siri called more running plays in the first half of the year that might have been different.

Hurts has an offense built around him that a good QB should be able to have success with.  Last year he made some slight improvements but showed to be a one-read QB, too run happy and missed open receivers.  He did make some plays in the passing game, but his passing game is below average in some categories, average in others.  The offense is set up perfectly for him to have all the opportunity to step up and improve his passing game and he has no excuses.

Agreed. Although I still think its pretty much a waste of a year for Brown and Smith. The team is set up pretty well for a QB who can throw. I just don't think Hurts will actually be able to improve enough to justify the chance he's being given

It should be an open competition at QB IMO

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Agreed. Although I still think its pretty much a waste of a year for Brown and Smith. The team is set up pretty well for a QB who can throw. I just don't think Hurts will actually be able to improve enough to justify the chance he's being given

It should be an open competition at QB IMO

Siri talks about competition but clearly they are all in on Hurts right now to properly evaluate him.  I looked at last year as an evaluation year and was giving him a fair chance the entire season.  By season's end - even before the playoff game - I thought I'd seen enough.  I don't hate him, I don't think he's terrible.  But he's average and is never going to be a great passer.  I think he has a winning attitude and leadership and all, just not the passing aspect strong enough.  Then seeing other QBs in the playoffs it was just a reminder that he's not that type of QB to put the team on his back and lead passing drives, especially when better defenses key on his running game and force him to make reads and pass to the playmakers.

But for the team's perspective, I can completely understand them going with Hurts this year and building around him to see how it goes.  The other QBs on the roster can make their case in practice to impress the coaches but I think they're going to roll with Hurts and decide after the season if they move on from him or not.  They might even wait until the next free agency and draft period to see what QB options there are, then if they acquire another QB trade Hurts to someone else.  

Sounds like Hurts has had a great Spring. Now he needs to go back to SoCal and keep going during this break. 

47 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Sounds like Hurts has had a great Spring. Now he needs to go back to SoCal and keep going during this break. 

Reagor had a great spring and camp last year.

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Really? He had a great camp last year?

He failed the conditioning test at the beginning, then when he did get back on the field he got chewed out by the coaching staff.

Here is what one beat writer said about him at the close of camp.

Toughest to Figure Out: WR Jalen Reagor - Two Odell Beckham, Jr.-like one-handed catches in practice and occasional brilliance in one-on-one drills are often mitigated by route-running issues when the red light goes on for Reagor.

Head coach Nick Sirianni intimated conditioning could be part of the issue, a notable admittance considering that Reagor was fined twice by the old coaching staff for missing his weight limit.

"I guess in team situations, you're up [against it]," Sirianni said. "Hey, there is a 40-second clock and you're up again, there is a 40-second clock and you're up again. You know, we're not really snapping it at one every time, so it's really like 20 to 25 seconds. So just to sustain that conditioning throughout the whole thing.

"What the one-on-ones are there to do is really perfect your technique and fundamentals and see if the talent that you have and the fundamentals that you learned is going to win your one-on-one matchups.

So once again you post something that is completely wrong hoping no one actually checks your work.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Sounds like from his teammates and coaches, Hurts has put in the work in the off-season. Whether or not you like the kid, we all should applaud that and hope he keeps pushing.

Hopefully he goes back to SoCal and continues to grow.

Just now, Thrive said:

Sounds like from his teammates and coaches, Hurts has put in the work in the off-season. Whether or not you like the kid, we all should applaud that and hope he keeps pushing.

Hopefully he goes back to SoCal and continues to grow.

I have two words for you, Ben Simmons.

Just now, downundermike said:

I have two words for you, Ben Simmons.

Is this game called "opposites?” Think it it widely accepted that Ben never put in the work.

5 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Is this game called "opposites?” Think it it widely accepted that Ben never put in the work.

Except all the videos of him hitting threes and free throws in the off season.

We will see how Hurts work looks when the games are real.

The haters are panicked.  

Jalen Hurts will be in the MVP conversation this season. 

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Siri talks about competition but clearly they are all in on Hurts right now to properly evaluate him.  I looked at last year as an evaluation year and was giving him a fair chance the entire season.  By season's end - even before the playoff game - I thought I'd seen enough.  I don't hate him, I don't think he's terrible.  But he's average and is never going to be a great passer.  I think he has a winning attitude and leadership and all, just not the passing aspect strong enough.  Then seeing other QBs in the playoffs it was just a reminder that he's not that type of QB to put the team on his back and lead passing drives, especially when better defenses key on his running game and force him to make reads and pass to the playmakers.

But for the team's perspective, I can completely understand them going with Hurts this year and building around him to see how it goes.  The other QBs on the roster can make their case in practice to impress the coaches but I think they're going to roll with Hurts and decide after the season if they move on from him or not.  They might even wait until the next free agency and draft period to see what QB options there are, then if they acquire another QB trade Hurts to someone else.  

This is where I am. We wouldn’t have several of the pieces, on offense and defense, if we went all in on a qb this past off season. I don’t think without those pieces this team would be good enough to win in the playoffs with Wilson, Watson or anyone else they could have gotten at qb. Now we could.

If the rumors are true about Hurts’ work ethic and locker room support, he’s earned one more chance to show it. We’re better as a team either way.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

So did Watkins and Smith. Showing up in practice is step one. Showing up in games is job one. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The haters are panicked.  

You are my favorite quick laugh every day. I appreciate it RTK

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The haters are panicked.  

Last two MVP seasons were

37td/4int 4100 yards 111.9

48td/5int 4300 yards 121.5 

Compared to

16td/9int 3144 yards 87.2

Even if you double his touchdowns, he still wouldn't be in the conversation either year. There are legends in the MVP race, and he isn't one of them 

10 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Last two MVP seasons were

37td/4int 4100 yards 111.9

48td/5int 4300 yards 121.5 

Compared to

16td/9int 3144 yards 87.2

Even if you double his touchdowns, he still wouldn't be in the conversation either year. There are legends in the MVP race, and he isn't one of them 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95274a5f16b69f1b70458

Archived