Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

We'll see how the team plays this year.  Hopefully Jalen will impress.

Hopefully. he has a bit to overcome, but enough talent around him to mask him the first 6-7 weeks giving him a chance to apply all he has picked up this off-season. old habits die hard as hell though so who knows 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much more excited to see what Steichen could potentially do for Strong's development. Despite going undrafted, i think he's closer to Herbert in style & talent than Hurts. Steichen went to school at UNLV and grew up about 30 mins from where Strong grew up. Wouldnt be surprised if he's the one that convinced Strong to sign with us.

3 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Hopefully. he has a bit to overcome, but enough talent around him to mask him the first 6-7 weeks giving him a chance to apply all he has picked up this off-season. old habits die hard as hell though so who knows 

Which is why signing Foles should have been a no brainer.  Minshew is this era's version of one of the Detmer brothers - take your pick.  Great in spot relief, but probably not your guy long term.  If you're that sold on Carson Strong, keep him on the final roster.  Would have loved for a fresh Foles to take over for a banged up Hurts after Thanksgiving.

31 minutes ago, Procus said:

Which is why signing Foles should have been a no brainer.  Minshew is this era's version of one of the Detmer brothers - take your pick.  Great in spot relief, but probably not your guy long term.  If you're that sold on Carson Strong, keep him on the final roster.  Would have loved for a fresh Foles to take over for a banged up Hurts after Thanksgiving.

Minshew stats are suped up version of Alex Smith which I'm for way more than cam Newton lite. Foles when hot handed is top tier, but it's so hot and cold with him I'd rather see what strong has. After seeing that video of that weird drill, guessing his knee will need some time 

We wont know how truly beneficial it's been for him until the games are being played. I think it's just an excuse but we shall see. 

11 hours ago, Procus said:

I've been saying the same thing multiple times this offseason.  That is really important and this is the first time since HIGH SCHOOL that he will be playing under the same OC for two seasons in a row.  He continues to improve despite.  His issues come with a lack of consistency but lack of consistency comes with lack of consistency with coaching.  Hurts is going to have a really good year this year.  

10 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

But had some of the best coaches throughout his college and NFL career @_@

And Saban had huge respect and admiration for Jalen.

31 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

And Saban had huge respect and admiration for Jalen.

Believe what people do, not what they say. He respected his ass all the way to the bench when it mattered the most 

To me, right now Jalen is the Eagles opportunity to build a great TEAM.  Today, the Eagles are in the middle of the pack in the NFL in terms of cap space - currently in the $13 million range.  Hurts' rookie second round contract, along with some good maneuvering from the front office, put the Eagles in this position.  Now if Jalen can develop and grow, and from all indications he's doing everything needed on his end, with a team like the one that has been built, there is room for noise.  At least that's the plan.  I like it better when there's not so much noise, but I think 2017 changed that.

9 minutes ago, Procus said:

To me, right now Jalen is the Eagles opportunity to build a great TEAM

There's no doubt about that. If Hurts can develop this year and push towards being a top 10 QB (big ask yes) then we are in a great position. Two first round picks next year to go and do pretty much anything. Draft a RT to replace Lane eventually. Go get a Premier DE, go get a long term #1 CB. 

You guys missed a real doozy of a comment from the blog.  I think he loves Hurts a little to much.

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You could probably get the same amount of milk from him that you could a cow.  That's like a Kentucky Derby winning horse right there.  That's the level of cockstrong that he is.  

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You guys missed a real doozy of a comment from the blog.  I think he loves Hurts a little to much.

Most of us are trying to etcho sketch the f*** out of that comment from our memories 

On 6/3/2022 at 5:54 PM, KDUB1510 said:

We wont know how truly beneficial it's been for him until the games are being played. I think it's just an excuse but we shall see. 

It is an excuse. A different offense each year doesn't make up for his lack of arm talent. It doesn't make him see ghosts in the pocket. It doesn't make him look to run as soon as he finishes his drop. It doesn't make him consistently roll/run to the right. It doesn't make him squat so low and give a tell as to what play is being run.

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

It is an excuse. A different offense each year doesn't make up for his lack of arm talent. It doesn't make him see ghosts in the pocket. It doesn't make him look to run as soon as he finishes his drop. It doesn't make him consistently roll/run to the right. It doesn't make him squat so low and give a tell as to what play is being run.

Worst part about it is everyone is making the excuse for him smh 

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

I don't know ... to me it's pretty obvious that a player's comfort level plays a huge role in their ability to execute. I don't care if you want to call something an excuse or not. But even Aaron Rodgers struggled early with a new OC and system, but gradually got more and more comfortable over time. In his case, he was also a much more experienced and seasoned player than Hurts currently is. 

Like I said, you can call things excuses or reasons or whatever you want. All that matters is whether or not the player improves. It should be a positive thing for Hurts to begin preparations for the season with more confidence and familiarity. 

On 6/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, Procus said:

We'll see how the team plays this year.  Hopefully Jalen will impress.

If he can't make it work with this offense around him, he shouldn't even be in the league.  I mean, what more could you really ask for on the offensive side of the ball?

2 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

If he can't make it work with this offense around him, he shouldn't even be in the league.  I mean, what more could you really ask for on the offensive side of the ball?

Just posted this in the blog, and I have posted the same in this thread before.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I have said it before, and it needs to be said again.

AJ Browns best season was 2020, 70 catches for 1075 yards and 11 TD''s.  That should be the baseline for what is expected in Philly with what was paid in draft capital and a new contract. And you also need to get DeVonta and Goedert their targets and production.  So Ryan Tannehill's 2020 season is the baseline for what Hurts needs to do this year.

3800 yards, 33 TD's and 65.5% completions.

If he hits that baseline and AJ Brown gets his, that leaves in comparison DeVonta, 65 for 984 ( Corey Davis ) and Goedert 41 for 448 ( Jonnu Smith )

Is that good enough ???

And before the we will be a running team crowd comes in, the stats above are with Derrick Henry rushing for 2000 yards.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, KDUB1510 said:

Much more excited to see what Steichen could potentially do for Strong's development. Despite going undrafted, i think he's closer to Herbert in style & talent than Hurts. Steichen went to school at UNLV and grew up about 30 mins from where Strong grew up. Wouldnt be surprised if he's the one that convinced Strong to sign with us.

Worth noting that Steichen called the plays halfway through last season already, so this will be a continuation.  

2nd year in the system, 3rd year with the team, beefed up O line, upgrade at WR, top rushing team in the NFL last year...there are zero excuses for Hurts this year.  

On 6/3/2022 at 6:22 AM, nipples said:

So far he can’t. We’ll see if there’s any change this year. 

The best possible outcome this season is he takes a huge step forward and grabs hold of the QB job going forward. I’m skeptical of that happening, but would obviously be the best result. 

In my mind the second best result would be that he shows little to no improvement, and the team looks to replace him next offseason. 

The worst scenario would be if he improves just enough that the organization is on the fence with him after the season. We need a definitive answer. 

We said that last year and we ended up in the worsr scenario. Its quite possible we end up in the exact same spot next year. Especially if we lose a few games and Siriani goes back to running the ball 40 times a game.

Sounds like Hurts put in the work. Every QB has ups and downs but I'm hopeful that he'll be more up than down this year. He's answering the main question by fixing his mechanics and accuracy. There are still several questions but he's trending upward. I hope he understands that mechanics is a lifelong push for perfection that you'll never achieve.

I was a semi-pro bowler when I was younger, had sponsors, a mechanics coach, the whole nine. It's always a constant struggle to make sure you don't develop bad habits in your mechanics and your release. Like Foles after they tried to teach him the fade used to throw off balance leaning back. If you see a QB take a step back after the throw they weren't able to step into the throw and follow through.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, downundermike said:
  On 6/6/2022 at 9:38 AM, downundermike said:

I have said it before, and it needs to be said again.

AJ Browns best season was 2020, 70 catches for 1075 yards and 11 TD''s.  That should be the baseline for what is expected in Philly with what was paid in draft capital and a new contract. And you also need to get DeVonta and Goedert their targets and production.  So Ryan Tannehill's 2020 season is the baseline for what Hurts needs to do this year.

3800 yards, 33 TD's and 65.5% completions.

If he hits that baseline and AJ Brown gets his, that leaves in comparison DeVonta, 65 for 984 ( Corey Davis ) and Goedert 41 for 448 ( Jonnu Smith )

Is that good enough ???

And before the we will be a running team crowd comes in, the stats above are with Derrick Henry rushing for 2000 yards.

More important than numbers, I want to see Hurts making the correct pre snap reads, throwing to where the receiver is going to be open before it happens. Mechanically more accurate with his passes and able to attack every area of the field. 

If he does any of those better than last season and improves during the 2022 season… the stats will be there.

If he throws for 3800+ yards but looks exactly the same as last season… I’m ready to find a better option next off-season.

1 hour ago, Vileborg said:

Sounds like Hurts put in the work. Every QB has ups and downs but I'm hopefully that he'll be more up than down this year. He's answering the main question by fixing his mechanics and accuracy. There are still several questions but he's trending upward. I hope he understands that mechanics is a lifelong push for perfection that you'll never achieve.

I was a semi-pro bowler when I was younger, had sponsors, a mechanics coach, the whole nine. It's always a constant struggle to make sure you don't develop bad habits in your mechanics and your release. Like Foles after they tried to teach him the fade used to throw off balance leaning back. If you see a QB take a step back after the throw they weren't able to step into the throw and follow through.

I'll believe it when there is an actual pass rush barreling down on him.

2 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

More important than numbers, I want to see Hurts making the correct pre snap reads,

Hurts biggest issue is he panics when there's no need to panic, that's all about preparation, he needs to take those earrings out of his ears, forget about the pretty boy thing and get his head in the playbook, if he does that I think everything else will fall into place.  

2 hours ago, Eaglesfandan said:

I'll believe it when there is an actual pass rush barreling down on him.

He still has a number of issues that need to be addressed.

1. Needs to be able to throw back to his left.

2. Needs to learn to step up in the pocket instead of stepping out. (No Happy Feet)

3. Needs to learn anticipation and timing

4. Then there is the whole chess match with a defense to which he was completely blind too last year

The mechanics get him in the door but he still has much work to do. We'll have to wait until the season to find out where he ends up. He better learn to read defenses because there is tape out there of him being oblivious to what the Bucs were trying to do.

Archived