Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

If they keep winning he can play chutes and ladders, candy land, hide n seek, whatever works!  Reid has fast food, Chip had smoothies, Doug ice cream. Let's goooooo!

Please no ice cream!! Imagine being in the type of environment that comes with the NFL and eating a DQ blizzard with the head coach. No wonder they were always hurt and emotionally fragile, you are what you eat! Soft serve!!!

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Yeah, running QB = a QB who runs for a lot of yards.  There are no NFL QBs that don't throw the ball.  NFL teams don't run the triple option out of the flexbone, or whatever, over and over. 

It’s an overall stupid concept. A quarterback capable of extending drives with his arm and legs is just an overall better weapon to have on the field. To act like these guy who are capable of doing damage to defenses with their arms and legs can’t win is utter nonsense. 

Both Donovan and Vick were impressed with his performance against The Falcons.  

Donovan McNabb Defends Michael Vick – CBS Philly

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jalen-hurts-donovan-mcnabb-very-impressed-nfl-week-1-falcons

Also Jalen's numbers over his first 5 starts are wild:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2021/09/16/jalen-hurts-first-5-starts-better-than-lamar-jackson-russell-wilson-eagles-mcnabb-vick-greats/8315113002/

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s an overall stupid concept. A quarterback capable of extending drives with his arm and legs is just an overall better weapon to have on the field. To act like these guy who are capable of doing damage to defenses with their arms and legs can’t win is utter nonsense. 

Agreed.  I have a strong preference for running QBs.   QB = Passing + Running.  If you run really well, you don't have to be quite as good at passing.

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The main downside to having a mobile quarterback is longevity. Guys like McNabb, Vick, & Cam who made running a bigger part of their game (at least early career) had shortened careers. Guys like Wilson & Rodgers who have mobility but run more out of need or to evade the rush long enough for a play to develop hold up longer.

There's plenty of players one could make counter arguments with, but I think overall it's hard to argue that the list of QBs that run like a Cam or Vick did stick around as long as QBs who can make a play with their feet but whose style of play allows them to avoid too many hits.

11 minutes ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

The main downside to having a mobile quarterback is longevity. Guys like McNabb, Vick, & Cam who made running a bigger part of their game (at least early career) had shortened careers. Guys like Wilson & Rodgers who have mobility but run more out of need or to evade the rush long enough for a play to develop hold up longer.

There's plenty of players one could make counter arguments with, but I think overall it's hard to argue that the list of QBs that run like a Cam or Vick did stick around as long as QBs who can make a play with their feet but whose style of play allows them to avoid too many hits.

I could give a laundry list of statue quarterbacks who lasted 3 years or less in the NFL. Meanwhile Russel Wilson has over 4,500 rush yards in the NFL and never missed a game. It’s a dumb concept. Russell Wilson is 4th on the all time rush list. Not only is this rush quarterback stuff stupid it is randomly arbitrary. Just a move by some to try and cut people out of their BS concept, because they absolutely show how dumb it really is. 

34 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Agreed.  I have a strong preference for running QBs.   QB = Passing + Running.  If you run really well, you don't have to be quite as good at passing.

Overall what matters most is winning. I personally don’t have a preference as long as the guy wins, but to act like a quarterback capable of extending drives with his legs is somehow a detriment is just stupid. Steve Young is 2nd all time in QB rushing touchdowns, but he doesn’t fit their mold? He’s 6th all time in rush attempts, and 5th all time in rush yards. He’s absolutely a quarterback capable of running. It’s all based out of a Neanderthal bs bias. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I could give a laundry list of statue quarterbacks who lasted 3 years or less in the NFL. Meanwhile Russel Wilson has over 4,500 rush yards in the NFL and never missed a game. It’s a dumb concept. 

I said there's lots of players one could make a counter argument with, but take a look at those QBs that stick around as starters for a long time and you don't see many that you could call running QBs. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and Tarkenton are about it. Favre I guess you could argue as well, but even among this list you're not looking at QBs that are considered "running QBs", they're mobile.

Russell isn't great because he can run. He's great because he is both an excellent passer and runner. He's a threat to throw for 4000+ yards any season while throwing in 500-800 yard rushing. He's also very smart when he runs, he's one of the most intelligent QBs I've seen play the game.

What you don't see on these career lists - most wins, most games, most consecutive games played - are guys like Vick, Cam, etc. The lists are full of guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees, Elway, Marino, even Rivers is up there. And like I said, even among the QBs here I listed that could run most aren't considered "running QBs" in the same vein as say a Cam Newton.

Running QBs bring a tremendous dimension to the game for an offense. But there is a wear and tear factor there. 

14 minutes ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

I said there's lots of players one could make a counter argument with, but take a look at those QBs that stick around as starters for a long time and you don't see many that you could call running QBs. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and Tarkenton are about it. Favre I guess you could argue as well, but even among this list you're not looking at QBs that are considered "running QBs", they're mobile.

Russell isn't great because he can run. He's great because he is both an excellent passer and runner. He's a threat to throw for 4000+ yards any season while throwing in 500-800 yard rushing. He's also very smart when he runs, he's one of the most intelligent QBs I've seen play the game.

What you don't see on these career lists - most wins, most games, most consecutive games played - are guys like Vick, Cam, etc. The lists are full of guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees, Elway, Marino, even Rivers is up there. And like I said, even among the QBs here I listed that could run most aren't considered "running QBs" in the same vein as say a Cam Newton.

Running QBs bring a tremendous dimension to the game for an offense. But there is a wear and tear factor there. 

Russell Wilson is great, because he can run and pass. It’s a part of his arsenal. It’s a part of his game. You can’t take that away from him to fit this argument. There is no quarterback that just runs. Heck the past two seasons Lamar Jackson had both a higher passer rating and completion percentage that Carson Wentz and according to many all that dude does is run. Disregard his nearly 70 passing touchdowns in less than three seasons of work though. Again to put this into perspective Carson’s first three seasons he threw exactly 70 touchdown passes, but Jackson didn’t actually play a lot his rookie season. Admittedly though Carson lost parts of his 2nd and 3rd seasons too. Still it’s a dumb concept.

Rushing attempts[edit]

220px-Russell_Wilson_vs._Rams_2014.jpg

Russell Wilson has the third most rushing attempts for a quarterback.
Rank Player Seasons by team Rush attempts
1 Cam Newton* Carolina Panthers (20112019)
New England Patriots (2020)
2 Michael Vick Atlanta Falcons (20012006)
Philadelphia Eagles (20092013)
New York Jets (2014)
Pittsburgh Steelers (2015)
3 Russell Wilson* Seattle Seahawks (2012–present) 803
4 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles (19851995)
Minnesota Vikings (19971999)
Dallas Cowboys (2000)
Baltimore Ravens (2001)
5 John Elway^ Denver Broncos (19831998) 774
6 Steve Young^ Los Angeles Express (USFL) (19841985)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (19851986)
San Francisco 49ers (19871999)
722[a]
7 Fran Tarkenton^ Minnesota Vikings (19611966)
New York Giants (19671971)
Minnesota Vikings (19721978)
8 Steve McNair Houston Oilers (19951996)
Tennessee Oilers (19971998)
Tennessee Titans (19992005)
Baltimore Ravens (20062007)
9 Aaron Rodgers* Green Bay Packers (2005–present) 652
10 Tom Brady* New England Patriots (20002019)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2020–present)

Okay short of Tom Brady if many of the all time leading quarterback rushers on the all time leading rush list aren’t actually runners then who are these alleged running quarterbacks that people are talking about and what qualifies the difference? 

I don't know how people can look around the league and be against athletic QBs that will use their legs when needed to either extend a passing play or lick up some yards. 

Brady is the last of the Mohican right now. Once he retired in 5 years it will be nothing but the athletic QBs at the top of the league. 

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Rushing attempts[edit]

220px-Russell_Wilson_vs._Rams_2014.jpg

Russell Wilson has the third most rushing attempts for a quarterback.
Rank Player Seasons by team Rush attempts
1 Cam Newton* Carolina Panthers (20112019)
New England Patriots (2020)
2 Michael Vick Atlanta Falcons (20012006)
Philadelphia Eagles (20092013)
New York Jets (2014)
Pittsburgh Steelers (2015)
3 Russell Wilson* Seattle Seahawks (2012–present) 803
4 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles (19851995)
Minnesota Vikings (19971999)
Dallas Cowboys (2000)
Baltimore Ravens (2001)
5 John Elway^ Denver Broncos (19831998) 774
6 Steve Young^ Los Angeles Express (USFL) (19841985)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (19851986)
San Francisco 49ers (19871999)
722[a]
7 Fran Tarkenton^ Minnesota Vikings (19611966)
New York Giants (19671971)
Minnesota Vikings (19721978)
8 Steve McNair Houston Oilers (19951996)
Tennessee Oilers (19971998)
Tennessee Titans (19992005)
Baltimore Ravens (20062007)
9 Aaron Rodgers* Green Bay Packers (2005–present) 652
10 Tom Brady* New England Patriots (20002019)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2020–present)

Okay short of Tom Brady if many of the all time leading quarterback rushers on the all time leading rush list aren’t actually runners then who are these alleged running quarterbacks that people are talking about and what qualifies the difference? 

It just depends on what side of the argument they are on. I think Wilson is one but the argument to what you posted is most rushing QBs don’t play that long.

1 hour ago, MillerTime said:

It just depends on what side of the argument they are on. I think Wilson is one but the argument to what you posted is most rushing QBs don’t play that long.

Bad quarterbacks don’t last long regardless if they can run or not. Injury prone quarterbacks don’t last long regardless. With that being the case what mobile quarterback didn’t last long? Heck even Mike Vick who is basically the poster boy for much of this bias had a 13 year career and he went to jail for 2 years. You can’t pick and choose who qualifies for this BS argument, because none of the other side is based in any facts. 

Okay maybe if found that running quarterback that didn’t last long! It has to be Kordell Stewart right? Oh never mind he played in the NFL for 11 years. Heck that’s longer than some of these drop backs hacks some people seem to want. 

38 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bad quarterbacks don’t last long regardless if they can run or not. Injury prone quarterbacks don’t last long regardless. With that being the case what mobile quarterback didn’t last long? Heck even Mike Vick who is basically the poster boy for much of this bias had a 13 year career and he went to jail for 2 years. You can’t pick and choose who qualifies for this BS argument, because none of the other side is based in any facts. 

I think he is saying they didn't last long as a  starter long because they were piss poor passers and or injured. For instance Vick missed 38 games because of injury and spent at least 3 seasons coming off the bench.  So out of those 13 seasons he spent about 5 of them on the bench or hurt. Same with Kordell hurt or benched he fizzled out and got benched his last few years. 

I'm not necessarily arguing your point but those are bad examples. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think he is saying they didn't last long as a  starter long because they were piss poor passers and or injured. For instance Vick missed 38 games because of injury and spent at least 3 seasons coming off the bench.  So out of those 13 seasons he spent about 5 of them on the bench or hurt. Same with Kordell hurt or benched he fizzled out and got benched his last few years. 

I'm not necessarily arguing your point but those are bad examples. 

Nick Foles never kept a starting job either and he’s no runner. There are countless statue quarterbacks who lost their jobs. Does that mean that statue quarterbacks don’t last? It’s such a bad argument. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Nick Foles never kept a starting job either and he’s no runner. There are countless statue quarterbacks who lost their jobs. Does that mean that statue quarterbacks don’t last? It’s such a bad argument. 

I'm not getting into it I was just pointing that out. I really don't give a rats ass what kind of QB we have as long as they can stay in the game and perform at a high level. Super athletes just struggle more when they can't run anymore cause they didn't take the time to develop their passing game from the pocket. Steve McNair is a good example that took an absolute beating being a bruising runner early in his career then developed a passing game from the pocket. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm not getting into it I was just pointing that out. I really don't give a rats ass what kind of QB we have as long as they can stay in the game and perform at a high level. Super athletes just struggle more when they can't run anymore cause they didn't take the time to develop their passing game from the pocket. Steve McNair is a good example that took an absolute beating being a bruising runner early in his career then developed a passing game from the pocket. 

Steve McNair played in the league for 13 years and started in 153 NFL games. He also went to the Super Bowl which is more than one could say for the drop back prototype Jeff George. There are far more examples of drop back passers turning to crap than quarterbacks who have the ability to use their legs. It’s all BS. bias with no real truth to it. FYI McNair is a career 60% passer who threw for over 31,000 yards. 

2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I don't know how people can look around the league and be against athletic QBs that will use their legs when needed to either extend a passing play or lick up some yards. 

Brady is the last of the Mohican right now. Once he retired in 5 years it will be nothing but the athletic QBs at the top of the league. 

It’s all just used as a way to trash Hurts and for some to say he’s never going to amount to anything. Every time someone proves their crap to be wrong they try to change the narrative or tell people that players who clearly use their legs as a weapon to help them win don’t count. Or some crap that well they didn’t always start so it doesn’t count. It’s all stupid and the truth is the bs is based in racism. 

34 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What an absolute crock of ish.  Fact is, running QB’s do not last as long. 

Brady and Favre have played in 149 more games than McNair.  Look at the list, and look who is not on it.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-games-played-by-a-quarterback

Brady outlasted everyone so that’s just a crock. Meanwhile Russell Wilson never missed a game, but Wentz has missed multiple games at this point. Please with the nonsense. NO ONE HAS PLAYED AS LONG AS BRADY HAS TO THIS POINT. Regarding Favre well was Favre a SB winning level quarterback in the twilight of his career? Oh and let’s not forget players like Troy Aikman who was always injured and his career ended early. Your point is BS. With that being the case how about we use Farve and Brady on a different point? What the point of wasting a top 5 pick on a quarterback? Favre was a 2nd and Brady was a 6th. Seems useless to draft any quarterback that high anymore since he won’t win anything right. I mean if we are going to base stuff off small sample sizes these two fit the bill right?

Russell Wilson has rushed the ball at least 60 times or more in every season of his career. He topped over 90 5 times, and over 100 twice. He won the Super Bowl rushing over 90 times and he’s never missed a game, but he doesn’t fit the BS mold? Why? Is it cause he proves how full of crap that stance truly is?

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Russell Wilson has rushed the ball at least 60 times or more in every season of his career. He topped over 90 5 times, and over 100 twice. He won the Super Bowl rushing over 90 times and he’s never missed a game, but he doesn’t fit the BS mold? Why? Is it cause he proves how full of crap that stance truly is?

Russel Wilson is a QB who can run, like Steve Young.  He is not a running QB.

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Brady outlasted everyone so that’s just a crock. Meanwhile Russell Wilson never missed a game, but Wentz has missed multiple games at this point. Please with the nonsense. NO ONE HAS PLAYED AS LONG AS BRADY HAS TO THIS POINT. Regarding Favre well was Favre a SB winning level quarterback in the twilight of his career? Oh and let’s not forget players like Troy Aikman who was always injured and his career ended early. Your point is BS. With that being the case how about we use Farve and Brady on a different point? What the point of wasting a top 5 pick on a quarterback? Favre was a 2nd and Brady was a 6th. Seems useless to draft any quarterback that high anymore since he won’t win anything right. I mean if we are going to base stuff off small sample sizes these two fit the bill right?

Why has Matt Ryan started over 200 games, but McNair only started 153 ??  Why did Marino and Rivers start almost 100 more games than McNair ??  Why did McNabb only start 16 games 4 out of 10 times in Philly, not counting his rookie year ? 

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Russel Wilson is a QB who can run, like Steve Young.  He is not a running QB.

Yeah okay bud. I get it. Russell Will and Steve Young basically blow your BS concept to shreds so you don’t wish to count them. No one even knows who this supposed running quarterback is. 😂

Archived