Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yup. We criticized Wentz for hero ball and forcing it downfield causing incompletions and turnovers.  Hurts played smart and looked confident.  Last year he had some longer passes, the longest being 81 yards.  So let's see how the season goes.

Being a smart system QB who completes the easy underneath throws is a world of improvement over hero ball, be it from Wentz or anyone else.  But the goal is to push it downfield with precision and reliability.  Without that, you're never really competing for a Super Bowl.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Russell Wilson is tied with Cam. Every quarterback passes the football. Some just have the ability to use their legs as well. It is part of their game. This whole running quarterback stuff is nonsense. The only running playing quarterback was when Brian Mitchell had to do in Body Bag Game. 

What you didn't like the bombs that were dropped and overthrown all the time? 

Lamar Jackson is a RB playing QB.  

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Lamar Jackson is a RB playing QB.  

Lamar Jackson in his last two seasons had a higher competition percentages than alleged quarterback Carson Wentz. 

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Being a smart system QB who completes the easy underneath throws is a world of improvement over hero ball, be it from Wentz or anyone else.  But the goal is to push it downfield with precision and reliability.  Without that, you're never really competing for a Super Bowl.

It's been 1 game in a new system, let's see how the year goes.

55 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lamar Jackson in his last two seasons had a higher competition percentages than alleged quarterback Carson Wentz. 

I watched his game Monday night they said and it showed he put a lot of work into throwing from the pocket. Obviously still needs work but he has gotten better

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I watched his game Monday night they said and it showed he put a lot of work into throwing from the pocket. Obviously still needs work but he has gotten better

And that's a reflection of his character and everything we have heard this off season. This guy will work work work to improve.

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Tall me again how Russell Wilson and Young aren’t running quarterbacks? 😂🤣😂

B1F74406-F2E1-4C0C-906D-2D64E3B68F8B.jpeg

Wilson (at this point) and Young both started 140+ games. The fact that they have only done so a handful of times more than Hurts actually ruins your argument, not support it.

Wilson averages about 30 rushing yards a game over his career. I wouldn't say that makes him a "running" QB. By comparison Hurts has rushed for about 82 yards per game...near three times the amount.

Have no problem with him running occasionally if he is proficient throwing the ball moving forward, but he'll likely need to take off a bit less.

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

Wilson (at this point) and Young both started 140+ games. The fact that they have only done so a handful of times more than Hurts actually ruins your argument, not support it.

Wilson averages about 30 rushing yards a game over his career. I wouldn't say that makes him a "running" QB. By comparison Hurts has rushed for about 82 yards per game...near three times the amount.

Have no problem with him running occasionally if he is proficient throwing the ball moving forward, but he'll likely need to take off a bit less.

The running element is a part of his assets right now, but it’s too soon to say what type of player Hirts will be. Like you mentioned Wilson started 140+ game while Hurts so far has started 5 and 4 of those came last year with an offense line that was horrible. The longer Jalen plays the less he will use his legs, but how many times did people complain because McNabb absolutely refused to run? As long as Hurts isn’t putting himself in position where he’s getting injured (doing dumb things like thinking he’s going to truck a safety) I think he going to be alright. 5 games is way too soon to say what Hurts positive or negative tendencies are yet. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The running element is a part of his assets right now, but it’s too soon to say what type of player Hirts will be. Like you mentioned Wilson started 140+ game while Hurts so far has started 5 and 4 of those came last year with an offense line that was horrible. The longer Jalen plays the less he will use his legs, but how many times did people complain because McNabb absolutely refused to run? As long as Hurts isn’t putting himself in position where he’s getting injured (doing dumb things like thinking he’s going to truck a safety) I think he going to be alright. 5 games is way too soon to say what Hurts positive or negative tendencies are yet. 

And that's the thing here... As long as he plays smart that's the key. Not taking unnecessary risks. Not trying to put his shoulder in to a guy. Not trying to do too much. If he needs to use his legs then go use your legs. But get down or get out before you get hit. That's what Wilson has always been brilliant at. Surrender a yard or two for the sake of not getting smashed about. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:49 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol yeah I don't know either. Maybe they just figured he would have one since he had so many last year lol

On 9/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I kept thinking about and I think I remember a snap that he didn't get cleanly but it was never in any danger of being recovered by the other team. 

On 9/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, EazyEaglez said:

I feel like there was a bad snap near the End Zone that Hurts threw a touchdown on. I do remember at least on low snap. 

I seem to remember a bad snap that Hurts couldn’t control, but then he got the ball and was able to throw it away I think.

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I seem to remember a bad snap that Hurts couldn’t control, but then he got the ball and was able to throw it away I think.

I’m wrong - it was the 3rd and 2 in the 3rd quarter just before the failed Gainwell 4th Down conversion 

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I know Kelce had a low snap in the game that Hurts picked up. It might have hit the ground, but you could barley tell because it happened so fast. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know Kelce had a low snap in the game that Hurts picked up. It might have hit the ground, but you could barley tell because it happened so fast. 

That's probably the one I'm thinking of and why I said it was one of those that wasn't really in any danger of someone else getting it so no one really took notice

On 9/14/2021 at 10:28 AM, VeeMak said:

These statistics are very interesting, but I feel they may be somewhat out of context.  I would prefer these stats to contextualize defensive fronts and coverages to potentially indicate whether or not the QB was throwing to underneath receivers against a Cover 4, for instance. In essence, did the QB "take what the defense gave him” or were these short throws a result of pressure throws to safety route?  I haven’t had a chance to watch the All 22 yet, but my instinct from just watching the game as a fan was that Hurts was generally making the right reads and throws based on what the defense was giving up.  He left a few throws on the table as I could see by bailing a little early and using his legs, but that is probably to be expected.

Exactly right, stats are often times misleading.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Russell Wilson is tied with Cam. Every quarterback passes the football. Some just have the ability to use their legs as well. It is part of their game. This whole running quarterback stuff is nonsense. The only running playing quarterback was when Brian Mitchell had to do in Body Bag Game. 

What you didn't like the bombs that were dropped and overthrown all the time? 

Yeah, running QB = a QB who runs for a lot of yards.  There are no NFL QBs that don't throw the ball.  NFL teams don't run the triple option out of the flexbone, or whatever, over and over. 

42 minutes ago, NOTW said:

People may brush that off and say that he is being a clown.... That is how you relate to the young guys these days. That's the kind of stuff that is going to motivate Jalen even more. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

People may brush that off and say that he is being a clown.... That is how you relate to the young guys these days. That's the kind of stuff that is going to motivate Jalen even more. 

Next Hey Siri will have to dance on tik tok to prove he has swag or is "bussin" enough to coach GenZ.

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Next Hey Siri will have to dance on tik tok to prove he has swag or is "bussin" enough to coach GenZ.

Leave him alone!

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

ir3tx5u0lQ5dEhKmz8.gif

You could only wish to be on a motivation level of Nick!

All jokes aside, I’m starting to warm up to Sirianni and I can see the players gravitating toward him. All indications from camp are that he can be a hard ass when he needs to be, but he also does what he can to relate to the players. From a leadership standpoint, I’m starting to think that he has it. 

I was most concerned about his offense from an X’s and O’s standpoint due to never having called plays. But after week 1, so far so good in that area too. 

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

You could only wish to be on a motivation level of Nick!

If they keep winning he can play chutes and ladders, candy land, hide n seek, whatever works!  Reid has fast food, Chip had smoothies, Doug ice cream. Let's goooooo!

Archived