Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

"Just taking what the defense gave him,” Sirianni said. "Methodically going down the field, making big throws when he needed to make big throws, checking down when he needed to check it down, making a run when he needed to make a run. Just good quarterback play. To go down and get a touchdown in two-minute drill. Sometimes you’re thinking, let’s go get points, and then you get to a point where you’re like, ‘All right, let’s go get seven.’

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/17668/Nick-Sirianni--Hurts-was--in-complete-control-

Coach Sirianni on Jalen Hurts and his game on Sunday. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"Just taking what the defense gave him,” Sirianni said. "Methodically going down the field, making big throws when he needed to make big throws, checking down when he needed to check it down, making a run when he needed to make a run. Just good quarterback play. To go down and get a touchdown in two-minute drill. Sometimes you’re thinking, let’s go get points, and then you get to a point where you’re like, ‘All right, let’s go get seven.’

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/17668/Nick-Sirianni--Hurts-was--in-complete-control-

Just watched ESPN they said that Hurts made the Falcons look stupid lol. 

9 hours ago, Infam said:

You are making sense, but really I would feel a lot worse if everyone would say the next games were "easy wins”.

I mean wouldn't we all? It would be much better for this team to ease their way in to the season and find their feet. I know the schedule gets easier but in theory the team could be either out of contention or could be down trodden if things go badly. 

32 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Just watched ESPN they said that Hurts made the Falcons look stupid lol. 

Well he kind of did. Hopefully he does that on a weekly basis. 

14 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Oh Boy, Hurts is now cursed as was Fulgham.

Oh, I'll curse at him if/when he merits it...have no doubt about that. 😄

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I like the sound of that. Atlanta probably isn't a SB-quality team, but even so you want your QB to have good situational awareness and vision of the field, both of which he showed Sunday.

14 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Where did you get the 7 for 8 on intermediate throws statistic?  That is encouraging and I would be curious to see the whole data set.

I found an interesting statistic on NextGenStats called Air Yards to The Sticks (AYTS), which measures how many yards on average a QB's intended targets were short of or past the first down line.  The lower (or more negative) the AYTS, the more the QB dinked and dunked short of the line, relying on his receivers for YAC to pick up first downs.  This week, Hurts' AYTS was the lowest in the NFL at -6.2.  The other 4 lowest were Kirk Cousins (-5.4), Matt Ryan (5.0), Andy Dalton (4.6) and Carson Wentz (-3.5), all of whose teams lost this week, most of them convincingly.  The 4 highest AYTS QBs this week were Tyrod Taylor (3.4), Russell Wilson (2.6), Patrick Mahomes (1.7) and Matt Stafford (0.9), all of whose teams won this week, most of them convincingly.  See Next Gen Stats passing stats.

So while I agree with you completely that I would be happy to see Hurts dink and dunk his way to Eagles wins, that data suggests that dinking and dunking is not a model for winning consistently, especially against better teams.  Simply put, winning QBs seem to tend to try to get the ball further downfield.  I will be looking to see how successful Hurts is on stretching his throws further downfield in the coming weeks.

These statistics are very interesting, but I feel they may be somewhat out of context.  I would prefer these stats to contextualize defensive fronts and coverages to potentially indicate whether or not the QB was throwing to underneath receivers against a Cover 4, for instance. In essence, did the QB "take what the defense gave him” or were these short throws a result of pressure throws to safety route?  I haven’t had a chance to watch the All 22 yet, but my instinct from just watching the game as a fan was that Hurts was generally making the right reads and throws based on what the defense was giving up.  He left a few throws on the table as I could see by bailing a little early and using his legs, but that is probably to be expected.

39 minutes ago, judunno said:

Was Hurts credited for a fumble on a bad snap or something?

Where’s this coming from? Hurts didn’t fumble and I don’t recall a bad snap. 

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

Where’s this coming from? Hurts didn’t fumble and I don’t recall a bad snap. 

If you look at his stat line he was charged a fumble. Don't ask me where either.

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If you look at his stat line he was charged a fumble. Don't ask me where either.

Definitely an oversight. I didn’t have THAT many beers during the game. I’d have noticed if he fumbled, especially since that was something I was watching for him to clean up after last season. 

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Definitely an oversight. I didn’t have THAT many beers during the game. I’d have noticed if he fumbled, especially since that was something I was watching for him to clean up after last season. 

Lol yeah I don't know either. Maybe they just figured he would have one since he had so many last year lol

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Had to be a bad snap... I heard the announcer say something at the time but didn't see it. I was hoping for a clean no fumble game but bad snaps count against the QB unfortunately if that were the case.

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

Had to be a bad snap... I heard the announcer say something at the time but didn't see it. I was hoping for a clean no fumble game but bad snaps count against the QB unfortunately if that were the case.

I kept thinking about and I think I remember a snap that he didn't get cleanly but it was never in any danger of being recovered by the other team. 

4 hours ago, VeeMak said:

These statistics are very interesting, but I feel they may be somewhat out of context.  I would prefer these stats to contextualize defensive fronts and coverages to potentially indicate whether or not the QB was throwing to underneath receivers against a Cover 4, for instance. In essence, did the QB "take what the defense gave him” or were these short throws a result of pressure throws to safety route?  I haven’t had a chance to watch the All 22 yet, but my instinct from just watching the game as a fan was that Hurts was generally making the right reads and throws based on what the defense was giving up.  He left a few throws on the table as I could see by bailing a little early and using his legs, but that is probably to be expected.

Absolutely, AYTS is not a sophisticated statistic -- it is NOT a correlative measure of the quality of a QB's play.  It is merely a measure of how far on average the QB threw the ball downfield, not whether those throws were the right read or best result.  Context is critical in assessing the QB's play.

In this game, two things for me explain Hurts' low AYTS figure in context:

First, Sirianni dialed up a lot of short patterns for Hurts to throw, such as wide receiver screens.  If your coach dials up short passes, you are going to throw short passes.

Second, and nobody else seems to be discussing this, but the offensive line was not nearly as effective at giving Hurts time to throw from the pocket as everyone seems to think.  Time after time, Hurts had to bail out of the pocket before the receivers had a chance to fully run their routes -- you cannot complete an intermediate or deep pass if you cannot deliver the ball before those receivers have made their breaks.  Invariably, Hurts successfully escaped -- almost always to his right -- and found a receiver not far downfield to throw to as he scrambled east-west toward the sideline.  That is good quality QB play.

Will Hurts be able to rely on doing that all season?  To some degree, sure -- elusive scrambling is part of his game.  But coaches have seen that from him now and will game plan for it, and higher quality defenses are coming, so Hurts may not always be as successful at escaping the pressure as he was this week.  At some point, he will need to stand in and deliver some intermediate and longer throws.  (And hopefully, the offensive line will hold up longer to allow him to do that.)

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I kept thinking about and I think I remember a snap that he didn't get cleanly but it was never in any danger of being recovered by the other team. 

I feel like there was a bad snap near the End Zone that Hurts threw a touchdown on. I do remember at least on low snap. 

46 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Tall me again how Russell Wilson and Young aren’t running quarterbacks? 😂🤣😂

B1F74406-F2E1-4C0C-906D-2D64E3B68F8B.jpeg

They are/were both mobile, and capable of using their legs, but they were passers first. And truthfully, 7 and 5 games over the number of years each was/has been in the league seems quite low. 

This idea that all he does is check down is silly.  First of all, other QBs that are statue pocket passers made a career out of that dink and dunk, take what the defense gives you.  They put up 32 points and blew out a team on the road after barely having a preseason and with a new scheme.  Nick was smart to not have them force anything downfield not necessary.

However, there were some longer passes, the longest being 28 yards.  

Last year he had an 81 yard completion as his longest.  The stat sites used to have splits showing number of passes by yard range downfield I can't find that anymore.

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This idea that all he does is check down is silly.  First of all, other QBs that are statue pocket passers made a career out of that dink and dunk, take what the defense gives you.  They put up 32 points and blew out a team on the road after barely having a preseason and with a new scheme.  Nick was smart to not have them force anything downfield not necessary.

Last year he had an 81 yard completion as his longest.  The stat sites used to have splits showing number of passes by yard range downfield I can't find that anymore.

I suggest people should re-watch the TD to DJax against the Cowboys from our 10 yard line, and then come back and say he can't throw a deep ball.

Jalen Hurts Full Rookie Season Highlights | NFL 2020 - YouTube (@3:00)

38 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Wentz might be here if he checked down a little more 😁

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

They are/were both mobile, and capable of using their legs, but they were passers first. And truthfully, 7 and 5 games over the number of years each was/has been in the league seems quite low. 

Russell Wilson is tied with Cam. Every quarterback passes the football. Some just have the ability to use their legs as well. It is part of their game. This whole running quarterback stuff is nonsense. The only running playing quarterback was when Brian Mitchell had to do in Body Bag Game. 

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What you didn't like the bombs that were dropped and overthrown all the time? 

31 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yup. We criticized Wentz for hero ball and forcing it downfield causing incompletions and turnovers.  Hurts played smart and looked confident.  Last year he had some longer passes, the longest being 81 yards.  So let's see how the season goes.

Archived