Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

The NFL is about passing from the pocket.  Running QB's come and go, and the next one to win a Super Bowl will be the first.  

I agree, that's why I said what I did about Jackson.

Hurts made some throws from the pocket hopefully it continues with some tougher games on the horizon

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I just read an article talking about how Hurts was completely in control of the entire game and their was not one wavering moment where it looked like the game was to much for him. 

Like I said several times yesterday I was wrong about him.... So far. Happy to see them build off of this

I’m sure there will be times where he struggles. What quarterback doesn’t? I just saw Aaron Rodgers play a horrible football game. It happens on occasion, but you know there will be his detractors waiting in the dark to raise their ugly heads to say I told you so. Just wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hey if you don’t think Steve Young and Russell Wilson aren’t quarterbacks who won the super bowl and are capable of winning, because they don’t fit your B.S. agenda that’s your problem not mine. Stop replying to my posts please.

Steve Young and Russell Wilson are not running QB's, they are mobile QB's that can run if they have to. 

I am so glad you brought up Steve Young.  The year he won the Super Bowl, he led the league in completion percentage, passing TDs, yards per attempt, air yards per attempt, QB rating and was 4th in passing yards.  That same year, he ran for 18.3 yards per game.  For his career, he rushed for 25 yards per game.  He is not a running QB.  He led the league in completion percentage in 1992, and 1994 - 1997.  He led the league in TD passes 92-94 and 1998.  He led the league in QB rating 91-94, 96-97.  He is not a running QB.

Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl with a great defense, and as a game manager.  He averages 31.1 yards rushing per game for his career, 33.7 the year they won the Super Bowl.

By contrast, Lamar Jackson averages 63 yards rushing per game, and has two 1000 yard seasons.  

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree, that's why I said what I did about Jackson.

Hurts made some throws from the pocket hopefully it continues with some tougher games on the horizon

Basically that clown is lumping Hurts in as a guy who can’t win from the pocket. These fools still don’t think he can throw the football. What friggin quarterback doesn’t throw and just runs. It’s an overall stupid concept. I’m pretty sure more statue quarterbacks miss the playoffs than mobile ones, but that besides the point. I want a quarterback that wins football games. That’s what matters most. I have a feeling we have a coach who understands how to use his players better than the previous coach did. At least judging from week one results he did. On a side note I love how this clown came over here to trash Hurts. Shouldn’t he be enjoying the win?😂🤣😂 Don’t respond to this. No need for you to get involved.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Steve Young and Russell Wilson are not running QB's, they are mobile QB's that can run if they have to. 

I am so glad you brought up Steve Young.  The year he won the Super Bowl, he led the league in completion percentage, passing TDs, yards per attempt, air yards per attempt, QB rating and was 4th in passing yards.  That same year, he ran for 18.3 yards per game.  For his career, he rushed for 25 yards per game.  He is not a running QB.  He led the league in completion percentage in 1992, and 1994 - 1997.  He led the league in TD passes 92-94 and 1998.  He led the league in QB rating 91-94, 96-97.  He is not a running QB.

Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl with a great defense, and as a game manager.  He averages 31.1 yards rushing per game for his career, 33.7 the year they won the Super Bowl.

By contrast, Lamar Jackson averages 63 yards rushing per game, and has two 1000 yard seasons.  

I made this point about Steve Young too. He was my favorite QB of all time. The throwing percentages he was putting up back then were ridiculous with the defenses still able to rape the receivers. Young was an efficient runner. When he decided to go he turned into a running back and picked up huge chunks of yardage. 

14 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I made this point about Steve Young too. He was my favorite QB of all time. The throwing percentages he was putting up back then were ridiculous with the defenses still able to rape the receivers. Young was an efficient runner. When he decided to go he turned into a running back and picked up huge chunks of yardage. 

Super Bowl year, he averaged 3.5 carries per game.  9 of the 16 games he had 3 carries or less. 4 games he had 1 carry, 1 game no carries.  @EazyEaglez will not respond as I absolutely destroyed his argument.

Just now, downundermike said:

Super Bowl year, he averaged 3.5 carries per game.  9 of the 16 games he had 3 carries or less. 4 games he had 1 carry, 1 game no carries.  @EazyEaglez will not respond as I absolutely destroyed his argument.

I'll go to bat for Steve Young any day! Lol

My concern about the great win yesterday is raising expectations too high.  A really solid performance, but there were a few things that broke the Eagles way - first and foremost incompetence on the other team.  So many penalties and blown opportunities by the Falcons.  The Eagles won't always be that fortunate.

Two similar opening day wins come to mind - the Pickle Juice game and in 2013 with Chip Kelly's opening game against Washington on Mon. night.  Both were huge wins on the road followed by home games in Philly - home games the Eagles lost in both instances. 

I'm expecting some highs and lows this year, but what we saw last week really was encouraging.

Just now, Procus said:

My concern about the great win yesterday is raising expectations too high.  A really solid performance, but there were a few things that broke the Eagles way - first and foremost incompetence on the other team.  So many penalties and blown opportunities by the Falcons.  The Eagles won't always be that fortunately.

Do you know what? I think with the schedule this team has I don't think there's going to be too much getting ahead of ourselves. This team has a rough schedule coming up that will likely put things in to perspective a little. That's not to say we will lose them all but just that things are going to get tough.

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

My concern about the great win yesterday is raising expectations too high.  A really solid performance, but there were a few things that broke the Eagles way - first and foremost incompetence on the other team.  So many penalties and blown opportunities by the Falcons.  The Eagles won't always be that fortunate.

Two similar opening day wins come to mind - the Pickle Juice game and in 2013 with Chip Kelly's opening game against Washington on Mon. night.  Both were huge wins on the road followed by home games in Philly - home games the Eagles lost in both instances. 

I'm expecting some highs and lows this year, but what we saw last week really was encouraging.

I am tempering expectations for now.  The Falcons are one of the worst teams in the league.  Going to see a much better team next week.

Everything we've seen and heard from Hurts beginning last year and all the comments about him from former and current coaches and teammates is consistent:  strong work ethic, calm demeanor, focused, strong preparation, intelligence, leadership, character.  He has a lot of great traits.  I don't know what he will be in the NFL, I think we can enjoy watching his growth this year to see how things go.  He'll be tested, there will be tough games.  Even last year he wasn't buying any hype he was always saying the right things about getting better.

He definitely has running ability and elusiveness to avoid pressure and sacks, that's obvious.  He has also stood in the pocket to make throws, or played to his strengths throwing on the move.  He made some great passes yesterday as well as last year.  He's not "just a running QB."  However, any QB that has great ability to run has to be careful not to rely on it too much.  Defenses learn and adjust and will want to force him to stay in the pocket so that's an area to see him develop.

From what I've seen, I see many positives and not much negatives at this point.  Every young QB has areas to improve, and by all accounts Hurts is intensely focused on getting better.  I have no doubt he'll put in the work necessary.  So we get to enjoy watching him this year and how he handles each situation thrown at him.  At some point we'll know he's either the guy going forward or he isn't.  Should be a fun year, especially if he continues to connect with Smith like their instant connection yesterday.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you know what? I think with the schedule this team has I don't think there's going to be too much getting ahead of ourselves. This team has a rough schedule coming up that will likely put things in to perspective a little. That's not to say we will lose them all but just that things are going to get tough.

Meh teams change through out the year. What looks like tough games turn into cupcake games. Same can and probably will happen to the Eagles. We probably looked easy to the Falcons yesterday to find out we are not so easy.

Niners will probably gear up for us now since we look a bit tougher now then originally thought. We will see a bit more where we are with each game. I'm hoping they can at least hang with the better teams. 

My expectations haven't changed because of yesterday but, they damn sure looked good and nothing wrong with pointing out the good things that happened and some questions looked to be answered. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

My expectations haven't changed because of yesterday but, they damn sure looked good and nothing wrong with pointing out the good things that happened and some questions looked to be answered. 

Yeah I mean ultimately my expectations haven't changed. My hope and optimism for the future probably have a little.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He definitely has running ability and elusiveness to avoid pressure and sacks, that's obvious.  "He has also stood in the pocket to make throws, or played to his strengths"***

I know this was a big thing you were looking for. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know this was a big thing you were looking for. 

He showed some of it last year, but the team was a mess, he stepped into a bad situation, the O line was in shambles so he was running for his life and his WRs were mostly garbage.  And yet he did make some great throws and stood in the pocket, it was just a small sample size.

Yesterday he was calm, poised, was a leader, handled a 2 minute drill well.  He checked pretty much every box so really great game for him to build on.  

39 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'll go to bat for Steve Young any day! Lol

Maybe it’s just me, but anyone is that is trying to say Wilson and Young didn’t use their legs to help them win is dope. 🤷‍♂️

Gotta admit, I wasn't sold on on the Jalen Hurts pick when it happened, or during last season either. After seeing him play yesterday with all the confidence of a certain starting role, though, I'm all in on him. He played as good a game as I/we could've hoped for. I was duly impressed by his poise and his performance both under pressure and not.

I was highly impressive with everything Jalen did yesterday.  There are some minor things to clean up, as an offense, but nothing that can be pointed directly at him - the false starts, delay if game because play got in late, etc.  

I didn’t feel like at any point we were playing with a rookie QB, did anyone else get that feeling?  He looked so calm and poised, very much like a proven vet in how he lead the team.  

Great start and plenty of good things to build upon!

6 minutes ago, DBW said:

I was highly impressive with everything Jalen did yesterday.  There are some minor things to clean up, as an offense, but nothing that can be pointed directly at him - the false starts, delay if game because play got in late, etc.  

I didn’t feel like at any point we were playing with a rookie QB, did anyone else get that feeling?  He looked so calm and poised, very much like a proven vet in how he lead the team.  

Great start and plenty of good things to build upon!

I hit the like button twice but still only counts as one so for you sir I will quote you with a like!

Like!!

Hurts' performance yesterday's was certainly encouraging -- some excellent points have been brought up about Hurts' poise under pressure, leadership and just overall crispness.  The jury is still out on what has been and remains my biggest concern about Hurts, though, which is the ability to throw the ball downfield on the 10-25 yard type of routes on which the best NFL QBs excel.

Despite the overall success of yesterday's game, Hurts threw for just 9.8 yards per completion, 22nd among NFL QBs.  Hurts' intended air yards per pass attempt (i.e., average depth of target) was 3.2 yards.  Compare that to guys like Russell Wilson (10.0), Tom Brady (9.4), Josh Allen (8.7), Dak Prescott (5.9) and Patrick Mahomes (5.5) -- even Daniel Jones was at 7.5.  (See Pro Football Reference).  Hurts threw almost exclusively short passes.

I am not complaining about that -- it was a very efficient way to run the offense against the Falcons, especially playing with a lead (and I did not think the line actually gave Hurts a lot of time to let those longer patterns develop), so there was no reason to push the longer routes.

But when the Eagles face a more formidable opponent and/or are behind on the scoreboard, Hurts' ability to throw the ball further downfield is going to be tested.  That is the test that I want to see him pass, on a consistent basis, before I can say that he is a long-term answer at QB.

54 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Hurts' performance yesterday's was certainly encouraging -- some excellent points have been brought up about Hurts' poise under pressure, leadership and just overall crispness.  The jury is still out on what has been and remains my biggest concern about Hurts, though, which is the ability to throw the ball downfield on the 10-25 yard type of routes on which the best NFL QBs excel.

Despite the overall success of yesterday's game, Hurts threw for just 9.8 yards per completion, 22nd among NFL QBs.  Hurts' intended air yards per pass attempt (i.e., average depth of target) was 3.2 yards.  Compare that to guys like Russell Wilson (10.0), Tom Brady (9.4), Josh Allen (8.7), Dak Prescott (5.9) and Patrick Mahomes (5.5) -- even Daniel Jones was at 7.5.  (See Pro Football Reference).  Hurts threw almost exclusively short passes.

I am not complaining about that -- it was a very efficient way to run the offense against the Falcons, especially playing with a lead (and I did not think the line actually gave Hurts a lot of time to let those longer patterns develop), so there was no reason to push the longer routes.

But when the Eagles face a more formidable opponent and/or are behind on the scoreboard, Hurts' ability to throw the ball further downfield is going to be tested.  That is the test that I want to see him pass, on a consistent basis, before I can say that he is a long-term answer at QB.

The short passes were by design by "Hey Siri", to get Hurtz off to a good start for the season. It worked.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

I am tempering expectations for now.  The Falcons are one of the worst teams in the league.  Going to see a much better team next week.

True dat, true dat. I am cautiously optimistic moving forward. He does have the tools and seeks to improve. Good signs. He isn't like Ben Simmons. Shi_t, I said the B word.

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

The short passes were by design by "Hey Siri", to get Hurtz off to a good start for the season. It worked.

Yep, agreed.  And now Kyle Shanahan is coming to town with a very good defense and will have a game plan for those short passes.  Hurts will need to make him pay with some stretch throws -- this will be quite a test for him.

26 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Yep, agreed.  And now Kyle Shanahan is coming to town with a very good defense and will have a game plan for those short passes.  Hurts will need to make him pay with some stretch throws -- this will be quite a test for him.

Pretty sure Shanghai is more of an offensive mind than a defensive one. The 49ers just gave up 33 points to the Lions. They also lost their defensive coordinator from last season too. Let’s not act like the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens are showing up to the Linc. I’m not saying we should take them lightly, but the Eagles shouldn’t be scared of the 49ers defense. 

Archived