Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

14 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Typical eagles fans we are lol. Omg Hurts threw a nice pass!!! Start him! Bench our Franchise QB! Make him our guy! Then next year when he has a bad game. Bench him! He sucks! Play _____! It's very predictable unfortunately. Bad seasons happen. QBs have slumps. Our fan base needs to learn to understand bad seasons happen to everyone. I've watched this happen to Cunningham, McNabb and all the rest. In my 30 plus years as a Eagles fan I don't think we have ever been satisfied with our QB long term. Even if Foles had stayed people would have been calling for his benching the next year. 

Wentz has been bad for 12 games this year. He's having an historically bad year for a guy who's meant to be a franchise QB. And this is not the first time in his career where he has struggled. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz has been bad for 12 games this year

No he hasn't. He's had some good games this year. Not alot but some. 

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz has been bad for 12 games this year. He's having an historically bad year for a guy who's meant to be a franchise QB. And this is not the first time in his career where he has struggled. 

Agreed with @Uscg-green here. We never had an elite QB like Brady, Manning, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes or Rodgers or elite WR’s (didn’t count one year of Terror Owens) and still we were the cream of the crop in the first half of the zero’s, made the play-offs multiple times and even won a SB in the last two decades.

Sometimes you have to fall so you can pick yourself up. Maybe it’s what this team needed, maybe it is just our time to suck, maybe the window of this regime and their players has closed and maybe it’s just what the doctor ordered for Wentz to become a better player for the future.

Embrace it, we’re all in this together!

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

No he hasn't. He's had some good games this year. Not alot but some. 

He really hasn't. You could perhaps argue he's had 1 decent game, I wouldn't go as far to say good. 

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed with @Uscg-green here. We never had an elite QB like Brady, Manning, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes or Rodgers and still we were the cream of the crop in the first half of the zero’s, made the play-offs multiple times and even won a SB in the last two decades.

Wentz was supposed to be that elite QB and he's clearly not. 

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He really hasn't. You could perhaps argue he's had 1 decent game, I wouldn't go as far to say good. 

Wentz was supposed to be that elite QB and he's clearly not. 

Haven’t you read anything I wrote?! We never had an elite QB and I wholeheartedly believe you don’t have to have one to be succesful in this league. 

It’s a team sport, not a one man show. If you have good pieces on both offense, defense and special teams, you don’t necessarily need an elite QB to have succes.

Wentz still has elite traits but something’s off. He needs to get his head straight first and foremost and work on his accuracy, fundamentals and decision making during the offseason. A new QB coach and OC with a new playbook might do wonders for him.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Haven’t you read anything I wrote?! We never had an elite QB and I wholeheartedly believe you don’t have to have one to be succesful in this league. 

Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, I mean even Foles played at a high elite level in 2017. 

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

, I mean even Foles played at a high elite level in 2017. 

For two games. Don't get me wrong, two amazingly spectacular games on the biggest level no doubt but two games. 

How many teams have won in the last 20 years without an elite QB? I’ll give you Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Eli x2.  Who else meets that criteria? 

Point is, yes you CAN win a super bowl without an elite QB, but it’s much, much more difficult to pull off. And Wentz, unfortunately, is not even close to elite. Hurts probably won’t be either, but there’s at least a small chance until he proves otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

How many teams have won in the last 20 years without an elite QB? I’ll give you Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco and Eli x2.  Who else meets that criteria? 

Point is, yes you CAN win a super bowl without an elite QB, but it’s much, much more difficult to pull off. And Wentz, unfortunately, is not even close to elite. Hurts probably won’t be either, but there’s at least a small chance until he proves otherwise. 

Uh us......... Nick Foles ain't elite. 

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Uh us......... Nick Foles ain't elite. 

That one was a given, didn’t think it needed to be mentioned. So 6 out of the last 20 have won without a top QB?

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Indeed but how many teams have an elite QB?! Just a couple?! And even if you have one, only one team can win the SB.

You have to catch lightning in a bottle even if you have an elite QB to do so.

The OL and defense will be holding Russell Wilson back, Rodgers might not have enough weapons outside of Adams to pull it off, we don’t know if Mahomes makes a return to the big game, something might be off with Brady and the Bucs, record breaking Brees hasn’t made it in about 10 years.

So many factores play into it...

We should feel blessed we have one to show for.

9 minutes ago, nipples said:

That one was a given, didn’t think it needed to be mentioned. So 6 out of the last 20 have won without a top QB?

I would also argue Peyton Manning wasn’t elite any longer when Denver won in 2015. 

Also, there are a fair number of people who believe all 6 of the Pats championships are tainted, so depending on where one stands on that issue, there is potentially 6 more that need factored in. 

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

Also Bill and Brady won a good amount of those. A dominant force the likes we probably won't see again anytime soon. That levels the playing field to a degree. Most teams don't have elite. By definition there isn't that many elite. Teams get in trouble passing up very good to chase that unicorn. 

14 hours ago, T-1000 said:

What exactly is rolling out going to do to improve his terrible decision making and wildly inaccurate throws. How about the fact that he is softer mentally than a backup JV QB. Rolling out is going to help that, eh. You Wentz apologists literally make me laugh with your idea that rolling him out is going to magically change things. When was the last time Wentz actually stepped up into the pocket to create a throw on his own. You know, like Hurts did on the Ward TD. Unfortunately that would require some football IQ and pocket awareness which he doesn't have. But hey, rolling him out is to fix everything. Also, you lose even before that overly flawed argument by bringing up Mahomes and Wentz is the same sentence. 

Calling him "soft mentally” isn’t very fair. I think the guy is still suffering effects from the concussion he suffered. That doesn’t make a person mentally soft.

What people forget is that Wentz was really good just last year. This is why I think the concussion has had such an effect. He went from really good, to the worst starting QB in the NFL, with only the concussion and the offseason happening in between. And no, it’s not the people around him, Wentz has been legitimately awful.

7 minutes ago, vaff said:

What people forget is that Wentz was really good just last year. This is why I think the concussion has had such an effect. He went from really good, to the worst starting QB in the NFL, with only the concussion and the offseason happening in between. And no, it’s not the people around him, Wentz has been legitimately awful.

He also went from a pretty good line to an embarrassingly bad one. Even if people don't want to see it that very much matters.

23 minutes ago, vaff said:

Is there any record of that ever having happened to any other athlete? I mean ... it's a pretty wild conclusion --- especially if you're going to completely ignore what everybody in the football world thinks about the importance of the offensive line. 

9 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

No one is placing all the blame on Wentz.  That said, some of the sacks and hits are his fault.   At least 2 of the sacks against Green Bay could have been avoided had he gotten rid of the ball...one of the sacks came a FULL 6 seconds after the snap.  Who's fault is that?

Ok. I agree that some of the sacks are Wentz's fault. But I also believe that because the O Line is so godawful poor, no QB would be able to stand in the pocket and be successful. Hurts did well because he is a dual threat and can run with the ball. Only that kind of QB can have a modicum of success with this line. The pressure on Wentz has been unbelievable and he is the most sacked QB in the NFL. Some his fault. But mostly because of his line and Wr's not getting open.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed, but if they can fix the o line next year, I believe he will play better. For me, that's the key to Wentz's success. 

34 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He also went from a pretty good line to an embarrassingly bad one. Even if people don't want to see it that very much matters.

Exactly!

27 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Ok. I agree that some of the sacks are Wentz's fault. But I also believe that because the O Line is so godawful poor, no QB would be able to stand in the pocket and be successful. Hurts did well because he is a dual threat and can run with the ball. Only that kind of QB can have a modicum of success with this line. The pressure on Wentz has been unbelievable and he is the most sacked QB in the NFL. Some his fault. But mostly because of his line and Wr's not getting open.

So what you're saying is this year is a wash and he should be benched so that he doesn't get destroyed in 4 meaningless games correct?

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

For two games. Don't get me wrong, two amazingly spectacular games on the biggest level no doubt but two games. 

Yes but elite QB play won the Bowl.

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yes but elite QB play won the Bowl.

Agreed

1 hour ago, vaff said:

No he wasn’t. He was inconsistent, just as he was in 2016 and 2018. He went on a run against garbage division teams at the end of the year last season. 

Just now, nipples said:

No he wasn’t. He was inconsistent, just as he was in 2016 and 2018. He went on a run against garbage division teams at the end of the year last season. 

And the excuses just keep coming.....people like to leave that part out about it being very garbage at the end of the year.....

Archived