Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

He can't step up in the pocket to make throws downfield because the pocket is collapsing too soon.  That's what it looks like to my weary eye.

Hurts is at least stepping into his throws

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gannan said:

That same offense helped win us a super bowl (but yes I realize we switched to the RPO for the playoffs). That said, It really doesn't look much different from the offense that Reid runs which won the SB last year. 

You might be the only person that I’ve ever seen that says our offense is similar to the chiefs offense this year or last year. 

As for our super bowl year, we ran a ton of RPOs in the regular season with Wentz. It’s how he beat the blitz and was so efficient on third down. Our offense this year has no resemblance to our offense that year. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

You might be the only person that I’ve ever seen that says our offense is similar to the chiefs offense this year or last year. 

As for our super bowl year, we ran a ton of RPOs in the regular season with Wentz. It’s how he beat the blitz and was so efficient on third down. Our offense this year has no resemblance to our offense that year. 

Because the quarterback isn’t reading through his progressions. He’s looking at the check down or the quick out because he’s afraid of getting hurt. Reminds me a lot of Bradford. The play Hurts made was one of the few long passing plays we made all year 

7 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Because the quarterback isn’t reading through his progressions. He’s looking at the check down or the quick out because he’s afraid of getting hurt. Reminds me a lot of Bradford. The play Hurts made was one of the few long passing plays we made all year 

It was one read so there goes that argument. 

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

That same offense helped win us a super bowl (but yes I realize we switched to the RPO for the playoffs). That said, It really doesn't look much different from the offense that Reid runs which won the SB last year. 

I watched Pat Mahomme's roll out 10+ times last night.  Carson Wentz hasn't had 10+  roll outs in the last 5 weeks.

I know cutting Wentz isn’t an option and trading him would result in a big cap hit as well. 

Does anyone know if there could be a contract restructure to facilitate a trade that would result in getting the Eagles into a better financial position than the current contract calls for. The benefit for Wentz restructuring would be to get him to a better spot (Indy?) where he could have a fresh start. 

Seems like if they are willing to work together, a mutually beneficial outcome could be achieved. 

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I don't think Carson is playing well. But unlike most who think he just forgot to play, I think there are reasons that contribute. Pathetic Oline being at the top. He plays like this with even a average o line by all means toss him. But this is in no way fair to him. 

But to me that's also an excuse. And perhaps the reason Wentz isn't playing well is because he's just not that top level QB that we all hoped. 

21 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Give him the keys for the rest of the season, Wentz is a net negative player.

All bullshi* aside, playing Wentz will accomplish nothing the rest of the season. I am a Wentz fan and feel bad for him. I think he will be ok next year and pull out of this. Right now, Hurts should at minimum get all the 1st string reps this week and play the entire upcoming game. Unless he fails miserably, let him play out the season. I missed the 2nd half of the game, but I knew Wentz was going to get benched and Hurts would play. I saw the video, and Hurts did provide some spark, made some nice throws, got out of the pocket nicely a few times, etc. Putting Wentz back in will not help anything. Go with Hurts and see what you have. Wentz will have plenty of time to work through whatever it is that is wrong with him, physical and mental.

19 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I watched Pat Mahomme's roll out 10+ times last night.  Carson Wentz hasn't had 10+  roll outs in the last 5 weeks.

What exactly is rolling out going to do to improve his terrible decision making and wildly inaccurate throws. How about the fact that he is softer mentally than a backup JV QB. Rolling out is going to help that, eh. You Wentz apologists literally make me laugh with your idea that rolling him out is going to magically change things. When was the last time Wentz actually stepped up into the pocket to create a throw on his own. You know, like Hurts did on the Ward TD. Unfortunately that would require some football IQ and pocket awareness which he doesn't have. But hey, rolling him out is to fix everything. Also, you lose even before that overly flawed argument by bringing up Mahomes and Wentz is the same sentence. 

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

All bullshi* aside, playing Wentz will accomplish nothing the rest of the season

And this is the key. Playing Wentz at all again this year (unless Hurts is even worse which he could be but would be hard to imagine) is just pointless and achieves nothing. 

14 hours ago, Gannan said:

He did pretty good. That pick he threw- he was hit while throwing, so even Aaron Rogers gets picked there. He gets a mulligan on the pick.

5 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

What exactly is rolling out going to do to improve his terrible decision making and wildly inaccurate throws. How about the fact that he is softer mentally than a backup JV QB. Rolling out is going to help that, eh. You Wentz apologists literally make me laugh with your idea that rolling him out is going to magically change things. When was the last time Wentz actually stepped up into the pocket to create a throw on his own. You know, like Hurts did on the Ward TD. Unfortunately that would require some football IQ and pocket awareness which he doesn't have. But hey, rolling him out is to fix everything. Also, you lose even before that overly flawed argument by bringing up Mahomes and Wentz is the same sentence. 

We have gotten chunk plays every time he has rolled out, if you are not seeing it you are not watching the games.

28 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

It was one read so there goes that argument. 

Except Wentz has had all year to make that play

6 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Except Wentz has had all year to make that play

Was it called? Was the wr able to beat the CB? A lot goes into it. Reagor was out most of the year. Deep threat was Fulgham who Wentz hit for a TD vs the niners. So again no argument there for you. 

21 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

So when Hurts gets absolutely destroyed next week who will the Wentz haters blame? If it's not the QB then maybe just maybe it's the crap around the QB responsible?

Nobody. He’s a rookie going up against one of the best teams in football. The fact you compare Carson with a rookie shows how far he’s fallen. 

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And this is the key. Playing Wentz at all again this year (unless Hurts is even worse which he could be but would be hard to imagine) is just pointless and achieves nothing. 

Playing Carson will make all of the apologists manginas very moist. 😂

58 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But to me that's also an excuse. And perhaps the reason Wentz isn't playing well is because he's just not that top level QB that we all hoped. 

Disagree with this also. Both sides of this seem hell bent on digging in their heels and not giving an inch. The pro Wentz side wants to blame everything but Wentz, and the anti Wentz side wants to blame Wentz only. No one seems to want to talk nuance. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. There are clearly factors at play that effect how Wentz is playing and there are factors incumbent on Wentz to fix That are independent of other factors. 

21 hours ago, phil77 said:

I care about his pay when trying to build a team

His pay is what it is. Regardless if he’s starting or sitting. If he’s here then he’s a cap hit regardless. You can’t fix Howie’s big blunder, but if he’s not doing enough to help the team win it doesn’t matter if he’s out there or not unless the guy behind him makes the team better. It’s time to find out what the kid can do. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

Was it called? Was the wr able to beat the CB? A lot goes into it. Reagor was out most of the year. Deep threat was Fulgham who Wentz hit for a TD vs the niners. So again no argument there for you. 

So your argument is Wentz wouldn’t be the worst starting QB in football if only a rookie were available for more games this year? Wow yeah hard to pick apart that argument, but let me try. The eagles never got into the red zone yesterday until we benched our lousy quarterback who flat out can’t play. I’ll also mention that he had Reagor available to throw to the entire game. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

We have gotten chunk plays every time he has rolled out, if you are not seeing it you are not watching the games.

Factually incorrect, which is normal for you.

At this points it’s just comical to watch the Wentz ball washers scramble to come up with reasons for him playing like dog crap all year. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

At this points it’s just comical to watch the Wentz ball washers scramble to come up with reasons for him playing like dog crap all year. 

''He has to come to every home game and see a statue of Nick Foles which hurts his feelings.''

''The team drafted a QB in the 2nd round and hurt his feelings.''

''The playcalling.''

''The OL.''

''The WR's don't get any separation with Wentz, even though they did for the quarter and a half Hurts played.''

''When Wentz throws passes at the ankles of players or to the wrong side of their body it's the receivers fault for dropping it.''

''If they would roll him out more his horrible decision making and wildly inaccurate passes would no longer be an issue.''

''It's not his fault, the injuries have taken their toll.''

Have I missed any...

4 hours ago, Gannan said:

So just average fan viewing this again and I noticed it yesterday as well.  The O line is not giving either QB time, but Hurts was quickly stepping away from the pressure either out into space or stepping forward to start showing the threat of running or throwing to someone before he hits the LOS.  McNabb did well with that, and Wentz actually does well when he gets moving.  I do really wonder how the coaches are instructing Wentz.  

Hurts was also running for his life, but getting away from the pressure and making 1st downs and had some nice completions.  

We used to see Wentz make things happen on the move and I wonder if he's either being told to try and stay in the pocket or if it's just a mental thing because too many times he just stands there and takes a sack.  Other times he does get on the move and run for a 1st down.

I sure hope Hurts gets the full  257 Wentzcuses if he gets the official job

This is what I saw.

I guy with more confidence for sure. 

Movement in the pocket that looked better.

Smarter play.

We might have a chance now......if the defense plays like its been we will for sure. 

Archived