Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

I like Hurts. I think he has as good of a mentality and work ethic that you can have in the national football league.  He will be a gamer who finds a way to win games when it’s all said and done. 

As for Wentz, he’s just not navigating the pocket as well as he used to. Not escaping nearly enough. And not making any throws to help the Eagles win a game since the bye week.  In my opinion Hurts needs to take over versus the Saints and depending on how he performs, remain the QB for the rest of the season. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So just average fan viewing this again and I noticed it yesterday as well.  The O line is not giving either QB time, but Hurts was quickly stepping away from the pressure either out into space or stepping forward to start showing the threat of running or throwing to someone before he hits the LOS.  McNabb did well with that, and Wentz actually does well when he gets moving.  I do really wonder how the coaches are instructing Wentz.  

Hurts was also running for his life, but getting away from the pressure and making 1st downs and had some nice completions.  

We used to see Wentz make things happen on the move and I wonder if he's either being told to try and stay in the pocket or if it's just a mental thing because too many times he just stands there and takes a sack.  Other times he does get on the move and run for a 1st down.

I think it's a mental thing with Wentz. He's also had a torn ACL/MCL, fractured vertebra and a brain injury in back to back to back seasons. That's going to have some effect on his mobility and decision making. They rolled Wentz out at least a handful of times yesterday but he still was holding on to the ball and taking sacks on those plays.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

His pay is what it is. Regardless if he’s starting or sitting. If he’s here then he’s a cap hit regardless. You can’t fix Howie’s big blunder, but if he’s not doing enough to help the team win it doesn’t matter if he’s out there or not unless the guy behind him makes the team better. It’s time to find out what the kid can do. 

I have said over and over again that after Sunday they should go with Hurts to finish the season regardless of how he plays.  But that intern creates a problem basically you aren't sitting Wentz a couple games for him to see the game different basically you are totally outright benching a 27 year old franchise type QB.  Wentz will not be sitting on the Eagles bench next  year it will be impossible to move forward as long as he is on the roster period.  Hurts will not be able to develop and learn while Wentz is here because every mistake or bad game we will hear nonstop talk about when is Wentz coming in.  It is an impossible situation that Wentz because his poor play, Doug because his terrible coaching and play calling and Howie for the lack of talent and tons of draft misses has created for this team going forward.  

That is why Doug's decision for the franchise going forward isn't an easy one.  If Doug goes with Hurts he will basically be saying at the end of the season either Wentz or Doug will be out of here.  There aren't many examples of franchise type QBs being benched and bouncing back for the same organization that benched them long term.  So if Doug full on benches Wentz going forward then regardless of the financials the decision has been made either Doug or Wentz will not be on the team next year. 

Maybe we are asking the wrong question here. The fact is a HOF QB is not a requirement for winning a SB. Just look at our own SB win for example. I think both Wentz and Hurts are more than capable of winning a SB if we have all the other pieces. And conversely choosing one over the other is not going to magically win a SB for us. 

5 minutes ago, phil77 said:

I have said over and over again that after Sunday they should go with Hurts to finish the season regardless of how he plays.  But that intern creates a problem basically you aren't sitting Wentz a couple games for him to see the game different basically you are totally outright benching a 27 year old franchise type QB.  Wentz will not be sitting on the Eagles bench next  year it will be impossible to move forward as long as he is on the roster period.  Hurts will not be able to develop and learn while Wentz is here because every mistake or bad game we will hear nonstop talk about when is Wentz coming in.  It is an impossible situation that Wentz because his poor play, Doug because his terrible coaching and play calling and Howie for the lack of talent and tons of draft misses has created for this team going forward.  

That is why Doug's decision for the franchise going forward isn't an easy one.  If Doug goes with Hurts he will basically be saying at the end of the season either Wentz or Doug will be out of here.  There aren't many examples of franchise type QBs being benched and bouncing back for the same organization that benched them long term.  So if Doug full on benches Wentz going forward then regardless of the financials the decision has been made either Doug or Wentz will not be on the team next year. 

Once Carson was benched I think it signified the end of either Doug or Carson here. Once the Eagles drafted Hurts the clock started ticking on Carson. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least two of them (Carson, Howie, and Doug) or all of them are out of here when the season is over. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Once Carson was benched I think it signified the end of either Doug or Carson here. Once the Eagles drafted Hurts the clock started ticking on Carson. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least two of them (Carson, Howie, and Doug) or all of them are out of here when the season is over. 

Yup I agree that is why I never get too attached to players it is all about the front of the jersey.   I think Howie will still be with the team but they will take away some of his responsibilities and GYM SHORTS will be gone and then one of Doug or Wentz will be gone.  That is my prediction. 

6 minutes ago, phil77 said:

Yup I agree that is why I never get too attached to players it is all about the front of the jersey.   I think Howie will still be with the team but they will take away some of his responsibilities and GYM SHORTS will be gone and then one of Doug or Wentz will be gone.  That is my prediction. 

Yeah I’m pretty much there too.

5 hours ago, Gannan said:

Hurts is at least stepping into his throws

I hope he becomes Russell Wilson. 

Oh my oh my! What will the apologists do if Hurts actually plays well against the Saints? I can’t wait to read that batch of excuses. Don’t let me down fellas. 😂🤣😂

So watching Rodgers vs. Wentz hurts throw the ball. 

Rodgers throws a soft ball. He gets air under his deep passes and it falls right into the WR's hands. Rodgers is accurate with his passes putting his WR's in a position to make a play on the ball. Rogers matriculates the ball down the field with short out passes and check downs. Carson could learn from that.

Wentz tries to throw a rocket on every pass. He doesn't have touch and throwing the ball hard takes away from his accuracy. he needs to improve his foot work, throwing a softer pass and becoming more accurate.  

Hurts does throw a nice ball on the roll out, he has good touch with his passes, shows accuracy with the deep ball, and allows his players to make a play.

So Hurts was sacked 3 times on 12 passes. Great O Line Job.

Good discussion here. Worth a view.

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

So your argument is Wentz wouldn’t be the worst starting QB in football if only a rookie were available for more games this year? Wow yeah hard to pick apart that argument, but let me try. The eagles never got into the red zone yesterday until we benched our lousy quarterback who flat out can’t play. I’ll also mention that he had Reagor available to throw to the entire game. 

Never said any of that. I said Hurts only looked better because he's more mobile and abke to run. Adding Herbig in the line to replace the turnstile Peters helped create running lanes for Hurts. As far as throwing the ball they were the same. But this wasn't about that, this was about you trying to compare our offense to the chiefs or even more laughable our own 2017 RPO based offense. 

Skip "Wentz is a bust of disaster” I lol’d 

10 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

For some people, there is no other problem but Wentz. The'll blame Wentz for getting hit, sacked and dropped passes. 

No one is placing all the blame on Wentz.  That said, some of the sacks and hits are his fault.   At least 2 of the sacks against Green Bay could have been avoided had he gotten rid of the ball...one of the sacks came a FULL 6 seconds after the snap.  Who's fault is that?

Wentz is broken right now and the best thing for him is to sit and watch and start breaking down his tape and focusing on his mechanics etc to improve for next year.  Let Hurts play the season and see what is there and how he grows/learns.  Bring them both to camp next year and make whomever is better the starter.

It will result in a quarterback controversy unless Wentz turns it around and becomes the starter and regains his position as a top QB (this would be ideal).  Any other outcome will be weekly drama for the entire season.

That being said I don't have confidence in Howie, Doug, or Wentz at this point to manage the whole thing.  Total crap show. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I was trying to avoid this thread because I had a feeling the Wentzbots would be at full force today.  It's one thing to want to see Wentz succeed, it's another thing if you want to see "Hurts get lit up", like some are saying. 

Anyone who wants Hurts to fail is not an Eagles fan, period. 

My best guess is that they are primarily Wentz fans and really started following the team after the Eagles drafted Wentz.  (Some of them were probably his fans from college).  I

t's the same few dozen or so people that have some sort of bizarre obsession with him.  It's borderline stalkish, tbh.  And their immediate defense mechanism is to want the QB that could replace him to fail...with no regards for the rest of the team, coaches or fans.  I can only hope that if the Wentz era ends, they will follow him out.  

I think if anything it's in the best interest to preserve Wentz and keep him healthy. There's nothing more he can do and he has gotten pummeled this year. Give the kid some relevant snaps and give Wentz an opportunity next year hopefully with a full offseason and an OL. After a QB competition though. He has to earn it.

15 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

No one is placing all the blame on

Wentz

.  That said, some of the sacks and hits  are his fault.    At least 2 of the sacks against

Green

Bay could have been avoided had he gotten rid of the ball...one of the sacks came a FULL 6 seconds after the snap.  Who's fault is that?

Wentz

has some of the worst pocket awareness of an NFL QB I have ever seen. Watch any half way decent QB in the NFL and they know how to sense the pass rush and move in and out of pressure within the pocket while scanning the field. This is something that even QB's who aren't mobile are very good at. There was a sequence of events on back to back plays yesterday where showed how clueless he is when it comes to this. On the first play the pocket broke down up the middle and the edge rusher to the his right took himself out of the play. Rather than go to the right Wentz ran up the middle into two guys. The following play there was room in the middle of the picket for him to slide up and continue to look down field or try to run it and he tired to run outside. 

Hurts is a rookie who is supposed to be a project and watch how he manipulated the pocket and pass rush to set up the TD pass to Greg Ward. The OL sucks but Wentz has always been terrible at feeling the pass rush and sliding in the pocket to make plays down field. This is yet another example of where a 100 million dollar franchise QB is supposed to pick the players up around him and cover up their mistakes and Wentz simply cannot do that.

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

Wentz

has some of the worst pocket awareness of an NFL QB I have ever seen. Watch any half way decent QB in the NFL and they know how to sense the pass rush and move in and out of pressure within the pocket while scanning the field. This is something that even QB's who aren't mobile are very good at. There was a sequence of events on back to back plays yesterday where showed how clueless he is when it comes to this. On the first play the pocket broke down up the middle and the edge rusher to the his right took himself out of the play. Rather than go to the right Wentz ran up the middle into two guys. The following play there was room in the middle of the picket for him to slide up and continue to look down field or try to run it and he tired to run outside. 

Hurts is a rookie who is supposed to be a project and watch how he manipulated the pocket and pass rush to set up the TD pass to Greg Ward. The OL sucks but Wentz has always been terrible at feeling the pass rush and sliding in the pocket to make plays down field. This is yet another example of where a 100 million dollar franchise QB is supposed to pick the players up around him and cover up their mistakes and Wentz simply cannot do that.

To be fair he's been hit so much he has happy feet (albeit some of it is his fault). Pressured when there's no pressure and lack of awareness is the result. Good reason to sit him before more damage is done that he can't recover from. Pederson isn't doing him any favors with the lack of balanced play calls. So just shut him down and bubble wrap him up and hope it lights a fire under him to come back in the best shape of his life ready to throw down. If not, at least we would have evaluated Hurts for 4 games.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

I think if anything it's in the best interest to preserve Wentz and keep him healthy. There's nothing more he can do and he has gotten pummeled this year. Give the kid some relevant snaps and give Wentz an opportunity next year hopefully with a full offseason and an OL. After a QB competition though. He has to earn it.

There is literally no upside to playing Wentz the rest of the season. They aren't making the playoffs. He obviously isn't going to ''play his way'' out of this slump. As you mentioned, he has taken a beating this year. You can also see that mentally he is an absolute mess. If there is any chance to get him back on track in 2021 and beyond playing him now doesn't help in that regard. In the meantime with Wentz's struggles getting an opportunity to see Hurts in four games and give him that experience is something that provides potential upside for the organization moving forward. It won't be the end all be all but at least they will get a small look into what they have with him.

Just now, judunno said:

To be fair he's been hit so much he has happy feet (albeit some of it is his fault). Pressured when there's no pressure and lack of awareness is the result. Good reason to sit him before more damage is done that he can't recover from. Pederson isn't doing him any favors with the lack of balanced play calls. So just shut him down and bubble wrap him up and hope it lights a fire under him to come back in the best shape of his life ready to throw down. If not, at least we would have evaluated Hurts for 4 games.

Wentz has never shown good pocket awareness even when the OL is playing well though. He was able to cover that up with athletic ability in the past when he was younger and before some of the injuries. I agree though, they gain nothing from playing him the rest of the way and neither does Wentz. Physically and mentally he is just flat out beaten right now.

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Wentz has never shown good pocket awareness even when the OL is playing well though. He was able to cover that up with athletic ability in the past when he was younger and before some of the injuries. I agree though, they gain nothing from playing him the rest of the way and neither does Wentz. Physically and mentally he is just flat out beaten right now.

Before the injuries he escaped and navigated the pocket pretty well. Not sure what the hell happened. You don't have to be super athletic to get out of dodge. I often wonder if the injuries and the concussion last year just really screwed him up.

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Before the injuries he escaped and navigated the pocket pretty well. Not sure what the hell happened. You don't have to be super athletic to get out of dodge. I often wonder if the injuries and the concussion last year just really screwed him up.

I think they probably have. I certainly think the ACL injury has screwed Wentz agility. I think in a straight line he's still the same but I think side to side and making guys miss he's not close to what he was. 

8 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

I hope he becomes Russell Wilson. 

Typical eagles fans we are lol. Omg Hurts threw a nice pass!!! Start him! Bench our Franchise QB! Make him our guy! Then next year when he has a bad game. Bench him! He sucks! Play _____! It's very predictable unfortunately. Bad seasons happen. QBs have slumps. Our fan base needs to learn to understand bad seasons happen to everyone. I've watched this happen to Cunningham, McNabb and all the rest. In my 30 plus years as a Eagles fan I don't think we have ever been satisfied with our QB long term. Even if Foles had stayed people would have been calling for his benching the next year. Hurts may even do better with this Oline because he is a RB playing QB. But he isn't anything special. He is not a franchise QB. 

Archived