Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

No the excuse becomes, and we've seen it already, "Hurts is a rookie and Wentz is a 5 year player......." 

Is that somehow incorrect?

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really not fair in the small sample size to compare Hurts to Wentz. The Eagles prepared Wentz to start. Hurts goes into the game trailing by 3 scores, the Packers are playing soft D. When the Packers tightened up, they forced Hurts into mistakes. Let's see them give the starting job to Hurts, then see what happens.

I do think they might as well play Hurts the rest of the season unless he really struggles. Let's see what he's got. The season is lost, the Eagles clinched a losing season, they don't even control their own destiny if they somehow win out. Nothing to lose at this point.

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be fair though context is important... He was going against a defense that had not prepared for him and against a defense that was likely in prevent mode. This is why its so important he plays this coming week so we can see. 

Context never matters here. 

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

It's really not fair in the small sample size to compare Hurts to Wentz. The Eagles prepared Wentz to start. Hurts goes into the game trailing by 3 scores, the Packers are playing soft D. When the Packers tightened up, they forced Hurts into mistakes. Let's see them give the starting job to Hurts, then see what happens.

I do think they might as well play Hurts the rest of the season unless he really struggles. Let's see what he's got. The season is lost, the Eagles clinched a losing season, they don't even control their own destiny if they somehow win out. Nothing to lose at this point.

It’s also not fair to over critique Hurts here. He got no real reps to play and was thrust into this situation, because Carson failed again. For one with no reps, no preparation and thrust into an away game in Green Bay I thought the kid played well. It’s not his fault Wentz pulled out another suck job nor is it his fault Howie drafted him and created this mess months back. No one is saying Hurts is elite, but it’s clear Carson isn’t getting better. It’s time to see what Hurts is and if he’s the quarterback of the Eagles for the future or do they need to pick someone else.

The Eagles Season is over. There is no longer a need for Wentz to start. While Wentz has been playing awful, he is not 100% at fault for the offensive woes. The O Line has been awful, the WR's share blame and so does the Coach. At this point it seems to serve no purpose for Wentz to continune playing when they have no shot to win the Division. So you might as well play Hurts and see what he can do. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s also not fair to over critique Hurts here. He got no real reps to play and was thrust into this situation, because Carson failed again. For one with no reps, no preparation and thrust into an away game in Green Bay I thought the kid played well. It’s not his fault Wentz pulled out another suck job nor is it his fault Howie drafted him and created this mess months back. No one is saying Hurts is elite, but it’s clear Carson isn’t getting better. It’s time to see what Hurts is and if he’s the quarterback of the Eagles for the future or do they need to pick someone else.

Exactly we need to find out if Hurts is our QB of the future or whether or not we need to draft another QB. Either way, playing Wentz accomplishes nothing.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be fair though context is important... He was going against a defense that had not prepared for him and against a defense that was likely in prevent mode. This is why its so important he plays this coming week so we can see. 

I think the context that is just as important is that he did not get starter’s reps all week, and the game plan the coaches out together for this game was not focused around his skill set. 

Hopefully they do the smart thing and let Hurts start next weekend.  He gave the offense a much needed spark.  Let’s see what he looks like with a full week of preparation and when an opposing defense has some film on him to game plan against him.  

18 minutes ago, nipples said:

I think the context that is just as important is that he did not get starter’s reps all week, and the game plan the coaches out together for this game was not focused around his skill set. 

Agreed on that yes. So all in all the answer, the key is that we should look ahead to this week where hopefully they announce Hurts as the starter and then we can see.

26 minutes ago, nipples said:

Well, as far as I can tell, the game plan every week is not focused around anybody's skill set that is actually on this team.

20 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Hopefully the do the smart thing and let Hurts start next weekend.  He gave the offense a much needed spark.  Let’s see what he looks like with a full week of preparation and when an opposing defense has some film on him to game plan against him.  

The sad thing here is "Eagles Fans” are looking forward to a rookie to struggle against one of the best teams in football so they can say "see I told you it wasn’t Wentz.” That’s how far Carson has fallen and his diehard fans. They aren’t interested in what’s best for the Eagles. I don’t expect Hurts to go out there and light it up, but the Eagles owe it to themselves to see what this kid can do. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can I just point out the prevent defense argument is the purest horseshit, the whole point of playing prevent defense is to make sure you don't give up chunk plays when you're opponent is playing behind against the clock, Hurts completed passes of 34, 20 and 32 yards, one of which was a TD pass ie he did the very thing the prevent defense is designed to stop him doing.

The only way 'he was against prevent defense' argument makes a toss of difference would be if he dinked and dunked 8 yards a play to the TD.

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Can I just point out the prevent defense argument is the purest horseshit, the whole point of playing prevent defense is to make sure you don't give up chunk plays when you're opponent is playing behind against the clock, Hurts completed passes of 34, 20 and 32 yards, one of which was a TD pass ie he did the very thing the prevent defense is designed to stop him doing.

The only way 'he was against prevent defense' argument makes a toss of difference would be if he dinked and dunked 8 yards a play to the TD.

That's completely fair. I guess my point was more around mindset than actual formations and scheme at that point I just didn't articulate it very well. Packers knew they had a cushion, they knew they could put points on our D so they knew they could give a cushion and allow our offense to move the ball more. But yes you are right their prevent defense did not do want a prevent defense is supposed to do in that sense.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Exactly we need to find out if Hurts is our QB of the future or whether or not we need to draft another QB. Either way, playing Wentz accomplishes nothing.

If you head over to the blog, everyone is talking about finding a franchise QB, so apparently he is not.

Hurts looked good to me.  Took what the d was giving him and sparked the the players around him.  

DC’s arent going to have it so damn easy game planning for the eagles offense that’s for sure

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Can't read? I said he was having an MVP year and he was. He was the clear choice before he was injured.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/16/carson-wentz-tom-brady-2017-nfl-mvp-odds

But we'll just pretend that didn't happen and he's sucked this entire time he's been here

:rolleyes:

Yeah he had 12 good games 3 years ago. Awesome. We should bring in AJ Green and Antonio Brown, they were really good 3 years ago too!

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If you head over to the blog, everyone is talking about finding a franchise QB, so apparently he is not.

I'm not sure how anyone could make an informed determination of what Hurts is. He might be just as bad as Wentz, or he could be really good. We just don't know. Saban obviously liked Tua better than Hurts and Tua doesn't look very good to me. That said, we know what Wentz is. Does anyone really think Wentz is going to flip a switch in the next 4 games and suddenly become a competent starting QB? There's no upside to playing Wentz another snap this season. Play Hurts for the next 4 games and see if we need to draft another QB, hopefully with someone other than Howie making the pick.

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

No the excuse becomes, and we've seen it already, "Hurts is a rookie and Wentz is a 5 year player......." 

Well that's a fact.  Wentz has played horrible this year.  When he's had all his starters and the O line and injuries were not excuses he was still playing badly.  Bad decisions, bad throws, taking sacks, turnovers, etc.  He's doing things a veteran QB should never go, and he does them regularly so it's not just a play or two here and there.  

Struggling QBs get benched, it happens.  A 5 year veteran is not held to the same standard as a rookie, that's just common sense.  They put in Hurts to see if it could be a spark, but any rookie QB or a rookie at any position is going to have rookie growing pains.  

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well that's a fact.  Wentz has played horrible this year.  When he's had all his starters and the O line and injuries were not excuses he was still playing badly.  Bad decisions, bad throws, taking sacks, turnovers, etc.  He's doing things a veteran QB should never go, and he does them regularly so it's not just a play or two here and there.  

Struggling QBs get benched, it happens.  A 5 year veteran is not held to the same standard as a rookie, that's just common sense.  They put in Hurts to see if it could be a spark, but any rookie QB or a rookie at any position is going to have rookie growing pains.  

Wetnz's biggest problems are his horrible throwing mechanics (throwing off his back foot which leads to his accuracy issues) and his poor decision making. FWIW Hurts' mechanics looked much better. On the touchdown pass, he stepped up in the pocket and made his reads, Wentz never does that. On that exact same play, Wentz would have been sacked. Hurts will struggle but at last 4 games would give us some sort of a window into his NFL potential. 

Just now, Gannan said:

Wetnz's biggest problems are his horrible throwing mechanics (throwing off his back foot which leads to his accuracy issues) and his poor decision making. FWIW Hurts' mechanics looked much better. On the touchdown pass, he stepped up in the pocket and made his reads, Wentz never does that. On that exact same play, Wentz would have been sacked. Hurts will struggle but at last 4 games would give us some sort of a window into his NFL potential. 

It's really the best time with a losing season to throw the rookie in, let him go through mistakes and "welcome to the NFL" moments and all of that.  Evaluate him, get film on him, see how he reacts.  It gives you information you didn't have on the player at the NFL level, and in the offseason see what happens.  Does Wentz get traded?  Is there a QB competition where it makes both play better and the team is better for it?  Does this motivate Wentz, and allow him time off to clear his head and work on the basics again?  Does a new coaching staff come in and do things differently that help Wentz?  Lots of questions.  But the season is lost so I don't have a problem seeing what Hurts can do, and if he's not the answer then at least they answered that question.  It's not too different from 2012 when fans just wanted to see what Foles had, just get him in there and see how it goes.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. That doesn’t change any of the other problems on this team. Hurts wasn’t any better of a passer but could shock the packers defense because he’s more mobile. That’s the only difference between hurts and wentz so far. 

8 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. That doesn’t change any of the other problems on this team. Hurts wasn’t any better of a passer but could shock the packers defense because he’s more mobile. That’s the only difference between hurts and wentz so far. 

Yeah if that’s what you want to believe, go for it. Hurts was way more accurate yesterday than Wentz was. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah if that’s what you want to believe, go for it. Hurts was way more accurate yesterday than Wentz was. 

Lol. If I told you we played two QBs and he did:
Missed high. Sacked. threw an interception. 

Which qb would you think it was? 

Archived