Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Hurts had a great half, no denying that, he looked like a different guy than what we've seen. Let's see him do it consistently. And please, less QB draws, 10 carries a game is still too many. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

For context, the NFL combine has a velocity measurement some QBs participate in. He threw 54mph, which is above average. Same number as Dak Prescott; Justin Herbert was 55mph

So no, he’s not throwing 90mph. Mahomes hit 60, and that’s considered bigtime

I remember DeShaun Watson had like an all time low at the time for a top guy (might be exaggerating).  

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Hurts had a great half, no denying that, he looked like a different guy than what we've seen. Let's see him do it consistently. And please, less QB draws, 10 carries a game is still too many. 

Yep.  Trey Lance being exhibit A.

10 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I remember DeShaun Watson had like an all time low at the time for a top guy (might be exaggerating).  

Probably; I think arm strength in general is the most overblown asset people desire in a QB.

49ers used to have a saying about Joe Montana, "it was like he was throwing balloons at darts.” Matt Ryan has one of the weakest arms of any longterm starting QB we’ve had in 20 years. Still won an MVP. Drew Brees never had a strong arm. Peyton Manning even before his neck problems didn’t have the arm Eli did. 

I think people confuse arm strength with downfield accuracy. Ironically, the guys who do have those arms end up being overly confident and throw a lot of picks because of it. Stafford, Flacco, Favre, Testaverde. If the dude’s arm is too weak to make nfl passes, he won’t make the NFL.

Just now, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Probably; I think arm strength in general is the most overblown asset people desire in a QB.

49ers used to have a saying about Joe Montana, "it was like he was throwing balloons at darts.” Matt Ryan has one of the weakest arms of any longterm starting QB we’ve had in 20 years. Still won an MVP. Drew Brees never had a strong arm. Peyton Manning even before his neck problems didn’t have the arm Eli did. 

I think people confuse arm strength with downfield accuracy. Ironically, the guys who do have those arms end up being overly confident and throw a lot of picks because of it. Stafford, Flacco, Favre, Testaverde. 

Yep Hurts just didn't have the accuracy & decision making. I thought he could develop that but I'll be honest even though I supported him here I certainly didn't expect a game like that so quickly.

A breakdown of his day against the Vikings.

(343) Jalen Hurts vs Vikings - YouTube

The Vikings didn't blitz at all and seemed to sit back and see if Hurts could beat them with his arm, which he did. There were a lot of open receivers, but Hurts also had a lot of throws into tight windows. He also hit Smith on several comeback routes, which is his bread and butter, but which Hurts has to throw with accuracy and anticipation.

I doubt you will see a team play like this again against him. It seems like the better plan is to constantly blitz and hope you can force a bad decision or a turnover, and live with the possibility of him escaping and making a big play.

I would say Hurts' biggest issue is not using hot routes when there is pressure. That wasn't an issue this week since there was no pressure. But I am sure the WFT will blitz him a bunch, so we will see how he reacts to it.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Yep Hurts just didn't have the accuracy & decision making. I thought he could develop that but I'll be honest even though I supported him here I certainly didn't expect a game like that so quickly.

Obviously, I'll never be a fan of him, but I do hope the real Hurts comes to the surface quickly. If he has improved I'd be more than fine being wrong. Simmons put a bad taste in my mouth and I see that in him where he performs when the competition isn't at a high level and then sucks. If a bit below Monday was the real him, awesome. If he is the guy quite a few of us think he is then I want that to happen so they aren't in limbo. I don't want them with a Cousins, Murray, Mayfield, Tannehill, or Goff who's a guy that's good at times but won't give them a legit shot when it counts.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

That was a very interesting take by him and really spot on.

Jalen did nothing but improve while at Bama, Kiffin  kept pushing him each season and really every game to make better reads, throw it a little more, a little further and  into tighter windows. Yea, he lost the job to Tua, but he kept his commitment to Alabama, won us the SEC Championship game,  finished his senior year and graduated. At OU he advanced even more under Lincoln Riley.

I really had no doubt he would push himself to the absolute limit to try and become the best QB he could be, he's just that type of guy. I'm so happy to see him do well, I hope he keeps it up, and was thrilled to see you guys buck up and eat your crow!

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

I respect Cowherd more than most any of the talking heads and agree with everything he's said here and I'm really glad to see Steichen calling plays this year. I didn't get very excited last week but this week was very unexpected on both sides of the ball but most definitely Hurts's play in the first half. Can't help myself now, I'm excited. A trouncing of Washington is now in order. 

6 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Obviously, I'll never be a fan of him, but I do hope the real Hurts comes to the surface quickly. If he has improved I'd be more than fine being wrong. Simmons put a bad taste in my mouth and I see that in him where he performs when the competition isn't at a high level and then sucks. If a bit below Monday was the real him, awesome. If he is the guy quite a few of us think he is then I want that to happen so they aren't in limbo. I don't want them with a Cousins, Murray, Mayfield, Tannehill, or Goff who's a guy that's good at times but won't give them a legit shot when it counts.

Some people actually learn from their failures and strive to get better. We all know Hurts' first playoff game was poor. We also all know that he's focused on becoming a better QB. The early indications are that the work is paying off. It's okay to be hopeful. Hurts is not Simmons. As long as the players around Hurts love to go to battle with him, we will always have a legit shot when it counts. 

9 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I think people confuse arm strength with downfield accuracy. Ironically, the guys who do have those arms end up being overly confident and throw a lot of picks because of it. Stafford, Flacco, Favre, Testaverde. If the dude’s arm is too weak to make nfl passes, he won’t make the NFL.

Never heard this phrase, totally stealing it 🤣

29 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I noticed some of those live, good compilation there.  He looked like a different passer in that game, great to see.  I hope that continues.

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I noticed some of those live, good compilation there.  He looked like a different passer in that game, great to see.  I hope that continues.

I got ridiculed when I said that a few of the passes in the first game over the middle to AJ showed promise. I wasn't even making some grand proclamation just said they showed promise and the crew here got upset

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

I got ridiculed when I said that a few of the passes in the first game over the middle to AJ showed promise. I wasn't even making some grand proclamation just said they showed promise and the crew here got upset

When as a fan you are open to the possibility that any player might develop into a very good player, seeing flashes from a player is encouraging. But when fans decide from the beginning that a player lacks talent and will always be what you see on his college tape and nothing more, they see those flashes as anomalies and are discouraged because that will give false hope and lead the team to make a horrible decision to commit to that player. Hurts came out strong in week 1 last season and than struggled for several weeks immediately after that. Even I was ready to see what Minshew could do at that point. But Hurts did start to show some flashes in the Chargers game and then, I felt, had a very strong performance vs Denver whose defense had been playing very well. Still, he lacked consistency through the end of the season, but he was showing signs of improvement and signs of growth. I expect inconsistency in young, inexperienced players. I also expect to see growth and improvement. 

For the most part, those same people that didn't like what you posted have been sounding off against anyone that didn't grab a pitchfork and join their mob. Optimism is frowned upon. "Jalen isn't tall enough," they said. "He lacks an NFL arm," they claimed. "You can't improve accuracy," they shouted. "Everybody is a hard worker at this level," they ensured us. "Carson Strong will surely be better," they promised. 

Anyway, they aren't upset at what you said. They are upset at how Jalen is playing. They don't want him and he's on track to get a big extension. That's what really bothers them. 

7 hours ago, Bamabird said:

That was a very interesting take by him and really spot on.

Jalen did nothing but improve while at Bama, Kiffin  kept pushing him each season and really every game to make better reads, throw it a little more, a little further and  into tighter windows. Yea, he lost the job to Tua, but he kept his commitment to Alabama, won us the SEC Championship game,  finished his senior year and graduated. At OU he advanced even more under Lincoln Riley.

I really had no doubt he would push himself to the absolute limit to try and become the best QB he could be, he's just that type of guy. I'm so happy to see him do well, I hope he keeps it up, and was thrilled to see you guys buck up and eat your crow!

"Leaning into what he does well...doesn't have a great arm...I don't care what it looks like, it's productive".

Colin is a goose.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I'm not sure who got upset, but I'm probably his biggest critic on here and I didn't say a word about that. The first six games were always slightly easier than the middle. People will get excited both ways, but that will be a better indication of improvement than the first few. 

8 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I'm not sure who got upset, but I'm probably his biggest critic on here and I didn't say a word about that. The first six games were always slightly easier than the middle. People will get excited both ways, but that will be a better indication of improvement than the first few. 

To be honest in the twitter world I've always been more of a Hurts skeptic.  Here I just felt the criticism was so over the top and the RB playing QB stuff was downright offensive that I became what qualifies as a Hurts believer here.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

He had some really good & accurate throws last year as well, but they weren't as frequent. My thoughts were last year that we needed to see him go through his reads and not miss receivers and improve accuracy. So far it looks like he's done that but we really have to see it consistently. 

Plus as defenses look at the film and devise plans for what they're doing we'll see how he progresses & handles what's thrown at him.

22 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Plus as defenses look at the film and devise plans for what they're doing we'll see how he progresses & handles what's thrown at him.

It's always going to be about the whole seasons body of work but we'll (over)react each week.  I'd rather be where we are which is encouraged

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

To be honest in the twitter world I've always been more of a Hurts skeptic.  Here I just felt the criticism was so over the top and the RB playing QB stuff was downright offensive that I became what qualifies as a Hurts believer here.

I'm sure I'm one who pushed you that way. Glad you believe in him. I may not like him, but I hope he proves me wrong.

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Some people actually learn from their failures and strive to get better. We all know Hurts' first playoff game was poor. We also all know that he's focused on becoming a better QB. The early indications are that the work is paying off. It's okay to be hopeful. Hurts is not Simmons. As long as the players around Hurts love to go to battle with him, we will always have a legit shot when it counts. 

True. I don't see how he improves his flaws by this point in his career because to a certain extent you are what you are in terms of progression and seeing the field. He isn't Simmons in the mental aspects, but that's just how I feel when it comes to producing at a level until it counts. We'll see in the middle of the year when they play some tough teams.

Archived