Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The fact that we are even entertaining a conversation about extending him is a huge accomplishment by the organization. I’m looking at a guy like Fields, who is more physically gifted than Hurts, completely be hung out to dry by his FO and coaching staff.

Hurts came into this league with drastically more questions than answers, but his development through organizational support and self-commitment is very encouraging. I bet Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields wish they had the support that the Eagles have provided Hurts.

Whether he can sustain it or not is the question now, the question of whether or not he can play at a high level at all has been answered.

The Eagles have stood by this guy and have given him every opportunity to succeed. There’s no more excuses for him or the coaching  staff. They drafted this kid so it’s obvious they believe in him. Now do they believe in him enough to give him a big contract? Only time will tell. For now I’m not worried about that. Just enjoying the season one game at a time. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles have stood by this guy and have given him every opportunity to succeed. There’s no more excuses for him or the coaching  staff. They drafted this kid so it’s obvious they believe in him. Now do they believe in him enough to give him a big contract? Only time will tell. For now I’m not worried about that. Just enjoying the season one game at a time. 

Yep they can't sign him before this season is over so there will be a lot more games to judge from at that point

Now I get why they say he’s cocky. Years of trash talk and he finally called them out on it so they’re upset. 😂🤣😂

AA77875B-8A59-4186-AADF-0DF4D696898A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Now I get why they say he’s cocky. Years of trash talk and he finally called them out on it so they’re upset. 😂🤣😂

AA77875B-8A59-4186-AADF-0DF4D696898A.jpeg

Think he said he doesn't run his social medial lol

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Russ Denver bury job is in full effect. 😂🤣😂

6E99142A-8E0E-4B7C-A041-E9704C8A2085.jpeg

Got sacked 3 more times too.... Lol. Not always the lines fault Russ! 

In my mind, for whatever it matters, Hurts played his way onto the fence for me on Sunday.

It's one outstanding game as a passer amidst a career as a bad passer before that.

But it was an outstanding game.  And it was his most recent game.  So I'm happy to see how it plays out now.  Over the years, there have been a few players at various positions that I have really liked...and said, well, if they pan out, think of all the draft picks we'll save by not having to replace them.  (Quinton Demps, Mack Hollins, and Mailata to name a few).  That rationale is nice for secondary, WR, OL....I struggle to roll with that at QB, where only the absolute best will do.  However, it is nice to think of what could be done with the draft picks if QB does not need to be addressed.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, Mike030270 said:

Pretty crazy how people are ready to hand him the keys and a mega deal when we're going into week 3 lol

On 9/22/2022 at 9:42 PM, Mike030270 said:

2 games

I agree with you both. Way too early to consider giving him a contract or proclaiming him the future. We can start talking mid-season if he keeps this up (he will have a couple of bad games as well I’m sure, even if he is the guy)

But you have both spent the last year mocking Hurts or anyone supporting Hurts. You would have both got rid of him/benched him a long time ago. You also both claimed he can’t beat teams with his arm and he did on Monday night. 

It seems to me pretty clear that the Eagles did the right thing sticking with him, at least to this stage. Will you at least admit that?

12 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with you both. Way too early to consider giving him a contract or proclaiming him the future. We can start talking mid-season if he keeps this up (he will have a couple of bad games as well I’m sure, even if he is the guy)

But you have both spent the last year mocking Hurts or anyone supporting Hurts. You would have both got rid of him/benched him a long time ago. You also both claimed he can’t beat teams with his arm and he did on Monday night. 

It seems to me pretty clear that the Eagles did the right thing sticking with him, at least to this stage. Will you at least admit that?

Yes, we should put away the proverbial anointing oil but it’s never too early to look ahead to what next year’s needs might be.  And if the Eagles don’t need to go get a quarterback, an entire world of possibilities opens up considering their existing young core and their enormous draft capital.  We’ll see but the best case scenario is Hurts continues to play at an elite level (no kidding) and the Eagles can do anything they want. 

And considering Hurts is currently tied for 3rd lowest odds to win the MVP, I agree.  Continuing to develop him was a no brainer.

If the Eagles don't need a QB, frankly speaking we have the ammo to go get Will Anderson Jr, arguably the best defensive prospect in living memory.

You want to one up Micah Parsons? He's the guy who will do it.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

If the Eagles don't need a QB, frankly speaking we have the ammo to go get Will Anderson Jr, arguably the best defensive prospect in living memory.

You want to one up Micah Parsons? He's the guy who will do it.

Would be an absolute dream if Hurts works out and the Saints pick is top 5. 

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

In my mind, for whatever it matters, Hurts played his way onto the fence for me on Sunday.

It's one outstanding game as a passer amidst a career as a bad passer before that.

But it was an outstanding game.  And it was his most recent game.  So I'm happy to see how it plays out now.  Over the years, there have been a few players at various positions that I have really liked...and said, well, if they pan out, think of all the draft picks we'll save by not having to replace them.  (Quinton Demps, Mack Hollins, and Mailata to name a few).  That rationale is nice for secondary, WR, OL....I struggle to roll with that at QB, where only the absolute best will do.  However, it is nice to think of what could be done with the draft picks if QB does not need to be addressed.

I could be wrong but I think McNabb is the only Eagles QB in the SB era to win a playoff game in 3 different seasons.  We all want that top 5 stud but really haven't had him.  Hurts has a long long way to get there but it's also not so easy to imagine them getting that by another means right now either so he might be our best shot.  And of course I could be saying the opposite in 24hrs

56 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I could be wrong but I think McNabb is the only Eagles QB in the SB era to win a playoff game in 3 different seasons.  We all want that top 5 stud but really haven't had him.  Hurts has a long long way to get there but it's also not so easy to imagine them getting that by another means right now either so he might be our best shot.  And of course I could be saying the opposite in 24hrs

I would think you're right. I started following the team in 1992, and McNabb and Foles are the only QBs to win playoff games in multiple seasons in that time. Foles did it in 2, and McNabb did it in 6 seasons. I'm not over familiar with the seasons immediately before 92, but I'm pretty sure they weren't known for sustained playoff success over multiple seasons.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:23 PM, EazyEaglez said:

There’s no more excuses for him or the coaching  staff. 

Speaking of the coaching staff, Shane Steichen is doing an outstanding job of play calling, they've been on a roll since he took over last year.  

Early last year I was down on Sirianni's play calling and figured it was a big part of Hurts' subpar play, it's a good thing that he put his pride aside and handed that task over to Steichen.

Interesting interview with Sal Paolantonio about Hurts and how he played against the Vikings.

(350) "The Debate is Over" | Sal Paolantonio Says Eagles QB Jalen Hurts Style is the "Holy Grail" | JAKIB - YouTube

He said he asked the Vikings defensive coordinator why they couldn't stop the Eagles and he said they had too much speed and the offense was more advanced than what they thought coming in. I think this is a pretty good sign that we are forcing opposing defenses to rethink how they are defending us.

Also, this year’s QB draft class has not been living up to the hype. Other than Stroud, the rest all have serious flaws.

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I would think you're right. I started following the team in 1992, and McNabb and Foles are the only QBs to win playoff games in multiple seasons in that time. Foles did it in 2, and McNabb did it in 6 seasons. I'm not over familiar with the seasons immediately before 92, but I'm pretty sure they weren't known for sustained playoff success over multiple seasons.

I started before that and Jaws won a few but I think only 2 different years.  It's an interesting discussion.  Has the opening up of the nfl passing game made it required that you have a top 5 QB to compete or is a good QB with a talented overall roster enough?  The reality is that the best formula for a QB to win the SB is that his name is Tom Brady.  Beyond that it's been guys who played well in short stretches or got carried by the rest of the team or in a few cases were top guys that season. No real formula.  Obviously having a great QB is going to significantly increase your chances

3 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I started before that and Jaws won a few but I think only 2 different years.  It's an interesting discussion.  Has the opening up of the nfl passing game made it required that you have a top 5 QB to compete or is a good QB with a talented overall roster enough?  The reality is that the best formula for a QB to win the SB is that his name is Tom Brady.  Beyond that it's been guys who played well in short stretches or got carried by the rest of the team or in a few cases were top guys that season. No real formula.  Obviously having a great QB is going to significantly increase your chances

In 2017, we didn't have a top 5 QB at the end of the season. It was a team effort to get to and win the Super Bowl. The outcome of that game could have been a lot different if either one of the teams had an outstanding defense. There are many ways to win football games --- even in the postseason. Obviously, the better your players are, the better the chances will be. 

23 hours ago, Swoop said:

Would be an absolute dream if Hurts works out and the Saints pick is top 5. 

This is what most of us have been trying to tell you guys.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

He is an upgrade from Wentz if nothing else 

Lol. Heading in the right direction

Hurts haters have some of the lowest football IQ of any fans you'll ever encounter. Pay them no mind; they literally don't know what they're looking at on their screens.

Archived