Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

But all the internet GMs told me he’s just a running back playing quarterback who could never be better. Ironically many of those guys are the same people wanting to preach patience in regards to Hurts. You know the thing all of us have been saying to them for so long now. 🙄

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

But all the internet GMs told me he’s just a running back playing quarterback who could never be better. Ironically many of those guys are the same people wanting to preach patience in regards to Hurts. You know the thing all of us have been saying to them for so long now. 🙄

My question is if he comes out with a stinker or two or plays just like he has all the way up to this game, how much will people highlight this game and ignore the other 20 where he wasn't this good...

On 9/13/2022 at 10:38 AM, TorontoEagle said:

Where's the improvement???

On 9/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, downundermike said:

If you have to go to this extreme with hypotheticals and mental gymnastics, you have already proven that Hurts should not be the QB after this year.

These did not age well, along with so many other negative comments.  You do realize that it is virtually impossible that the Eagles will move on from Hurts, right?  He's on track to sign a huge extension after this season, likely getting Kyler Murray-type money.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

These did not age well, along with so many other negative comments.  You do realize that it is virtually impossible that the Eagles will move on from Hurts, right?  He's on track to sign a huge extension after this season, likely getting Kyler Murray-type money.  

And then  the talent around him will be less, do you think he still performs the same with lesser talent at OL and WR ??

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

My question is if he comes out with a stinker or two or plays just like he has all the way up to this game, how much will people highlight this game and ignore the other 20 where he wasn't this good...

Every game should be taken on a case by case basis. To act as if he never had a good game prior to this one isn’t accurate. The truth is a line was drawn in the sand by some people around here on this player well before he threw one pass. For those people he could spend this whole season killing it all year, but if he struggles at any moment will be the first to rip him. The bottom line is Hurts is the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles no matter what anyone thinks about it. People have been saying the Eagles don’t want this guy over and over again yet he’s still here. You can waste as much time as you like hoping for something different, but it still will not change. Over the past two seasons the Eagles had nearly every available quarterback at their disposal yet pulled the trigger on none of them. This is their guy. Now we can either choose to support this guy or we can choose to root for his demise. I’m gonna root for victories. The choice is up to the rest of you.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And then  the talent around him will be less, do you think he still performs the same with lesser talent at OL and WR ??

Right now all of the Eagles weapons and linemen are locked up 3-4 years beyond this season except Sanders and Kelce.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Every game should be taken on a case by case basis. To act as if he never had a good game prior to this one isn’t accurate. The truth is a line was drawn in the sand by some people around here on this player well before he threw one pass. For those people he could spend this whole season killing it all year, but if he struggles at any moment will be the first to rip him. The bottom line is Hurts is the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles no matter what anyone thinks about it. People have been saying the Eagles don’t want this guy over and over again yet he’s still here. You can waste as much time as you like hoping for something different, but it still will not change. Over the past two seasons the Eagles had nearly every available quarterback at their disposal yet pulled the trigger on none of them. This is their guy. Now we can either choose to support this guy or we can choose to root for his demise. I’m gonna root for victories. The choice is up to the rest of you.

Why do you think Howie pushed one of the 1st round picks to next year ??  Why did he go see Kenny Pickett in person ??

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Right now all of the Eagles weapons and linemen are locked up 3-4 years beyond this season except Sanders and Kelce.

Lane could retire at any time, Kelce most likely after this year.  Quez is only here for this season and next, need a new RB most likely.  

Eagles have 42 players under contract next year with 16 million in cap room if they roll over everything from this year.

Who are they going to have to cut to fill the roster and pay Hurts if they go that way.

They only have 28 players under contract for 2024, you don't want to see what that depth chart looks like.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Why would he have lesser talent at those positions? Who's leaving?

Off the top of my head, AJ Brown, Smith, Mailata, Goedert, and Lane Johnson are all signed for multiple years going forward. Kelce is always a question mark but they seem to like Cam Jurgens as his heir apparent.  Miles Sanders is on an expiring contract but running backs are devalued in today's NFL so that won't be an issue.  On balance, the core talent on this team is young and locked in for the next several years.  

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why do you think Howie pushed one of the 1st round picks to next year ??  Why did he go see Kenny Pickett in person ??

Howie pushed a pick into next season because he’s smart and covering all his basis. Do you really think 2 first are enough to get into a spot where the Eagles can actually get one of these quarterbacks? Was two picks enough for them to get Wentz? As for him looking at Pickett well did he draft him?

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Lane could retire at any time, Kelce most likely after this year.  Quez is only here for this season and next, need a new RB most likely.  

Eagles have 42 players under contract next year with 16 million in cap room if they roll over everything from this year.

Who are they going to have to cut to fill the roster and pay Hurts if they go that way.

They only have 28 players under contract for 2024, you don't want to see what that depth chart looks like.

You have been whining about the cap since 2016 at least and every year they field a team. Every year they get new players. It’s a good thing Howie moved one of those picks so he can replace anyone he needs to. I’m not worried about Lane right now and there’s two guys already on the roster capable of replacing Kelce.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Any Hurts extension won't carry a large cap hit until 2025. So you are three years away from having to lose your mind about a Hurts contract.

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You have been whining about the cap since 2016 at least and every year they field a team. Every year they get new players. It’s a good thing Howie moved one of those picks so he can replace anyone he needs to. I’m not worried about Lane right now and there’s two guys already on the roster capable of replacing Kelce.

Nope, I have only been on the cap thing for a couple of years.  Here is the 2024 depth chart.

image.png.ab39d301aef66894f5370373739e888f.png

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Nope, I have only been on the cap thing for a couple of years.  Here is the 2024 depth chart.

image.png.ab39d301aef66894f5370373739e888f.png

So if they sign Hurts to a long-term deal, the offense looks pretty much like it does now except for center and RB1. And don't forget the 2024 cap is projected to be $250 million.  They'll be fine. 

5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Any Hurts extension won't carry a large cap hit until 2025. So you are three years away from having to lose your mind about a Hurts contract.

If then. Depends on how long he signs. Didn’t Mahomes go for 10 years, Allen for 6?

If Hurts is on a 6 year deal, Howie could get really  screwy with the first 2 or even 3 years.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

So if they sign Hurts to a long-term deal, the offense looks pretty much like it does now except for center and RB1. And don't forget the 2024 cap is projected to be $250 million.  They'll be fine. 

Plus 6 picks in the first 2 rounds from 2023 and 2024 will be added to that depth chart, Id expect at least half are new starters

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Yes, for the 100th time, all the future cap discussions are based on the projected 2023 cap of 225 million and the projected 2024 cap of 256 million.

So the depth chart I just showed you for 2024, 26 players under contract, with 47.5 million in cap room to fill the other 27 spots.

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Would you say he has had more good games than below average? This is one of the two or three games in his 20+ starts where I can see where optimism is deserved. I think on average, he has been below average. These first two games,I would say an above average ish game and an excellent game. I believe game to game is gonna be necessary because he won't see that defense again this year. 

37 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This is going to be an issue with the mega QB contracts. One "Super Star" (eh, not really) with 21 supporting cast either on rookie contracts or just not that good to be able to fit under the cap. Yes Howie can play games with the cap and he's very good at it but eventually the time comes to Pay the Piper.

4 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I believe game to game is gonna be necessary because he won't see that defense again this year. 

He had 330 yards of offense in week one against a blitz happy team and 390 yards of offense in week two against a team that didn't blitz and played zone.

This, despite the fact that you and others claimed all offseason that the NFL had Jalen figured out and that he was going to be shut down by other teams forcing him to go to his left.

2 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

This is going to be an issue with the mega QB contracts. One "Super Star" (eh, not really) with 21 supporting cast either on rookie contracts or just not that good to be able to fit under the cap. Yes Howie can play games with the cap and he's very good at it but eventually the time comes to Pay the Piper.

Do you think Jalen Hurts can be successful in that scenario ??

Just now, downundermike said:

Do you think Jalen Hurts can be successful in that scenario ??

I won't be surprised if the next few years are similar to 2000-2005. AFC dominant, 3 or 4 good NFC teams. Many regard that period as great, I'm ambivalent. Is that better than being a Browns or Jags fan for 5 years? Sure but I view it as having a girlfriend who is willing to go to 3rd base but no further. Hurts may turn into McNabb 2.0 and many here worship McNabb. The lone Lombardi trophy is not from that era but there is one NFC championship trophy. I guess it depends on how you define "successful". 

28 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I won't be surprised if the next few years are similar to 2000-2005. AFC dominant, 3 or 4 good NFC teams. Many regard that period as great, I'm ambivalent. Is that better than being a Browns or Jags fan for 5 years? Sure but I view it as having a girlfriend who is willing to go to 3rd base but no further. Hurts may turn into McNabb 2.0 and many here worship McNabb. The lone Lombardi trophy is not from that era but there is one NFC championship trophy. I guess it depends on how you define "successful". 

The only difference is McNabb didn't have the weapons Hurts has. I always knew the lack of talent at the WR position would be the thing that held those great Eagles teams back, then T.O. came along and catapulted us, but his crazy put a quick end to all of it.   I don't see this team losing all of the talent, but of course we'll lose one player on the offensive side simply due to numbers. We'll see how it all plays out though, as I'm not sure the FO will be in a rush to give Jalen a huge contract early due to the Wentz debacle.

Archived