Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, MF POON said:

We'll see how it all plays out though, as I'm not sure the FO will be in a rush to give Jalen a huge contract early due to the Wentz debacle.

Do they have to make a decision on it this year? He's in year 3 right? So technically could he play next year on his rookie deal? Not that it would be ideal as you'd be going in to the year knowing that you either need to extend him, tag him or he's going to walk. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

This is going to be an issue with the mega QB contracts. One "Super Star" (eh, not really) with 21 supporting cast either on rookie contracts or just not that good to be able to fit under the cap. Yes Howie can play games with the cap and he's very good at it but eventually the time comes to Pay the Piper.

No it doesn't. 

The cap is designed to keep kicking the can down the road.  The entire structure is based on amortization, not pay now or pay later. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Every game should be taken on a case by case basis. To act as if he never had a good game prior to this one isn’t accurate. The truth is a line was drawn in the sand by some people around here on this player well before he threw one pass. For those people he could spend this whole season killing it all year, but if he struggles at any moment will be the first to rip him. The bottom line is Hurts is the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles no matter what anyone thinks about it. People have been saying the Eagles don’t want this guy over and over again yet he’s still here. You can waste as much time as you like hoping for something different, but it still will not change. Over the past two seasons the Eagles had nearly every available quarterback at their disposal yet pulled the trigger on none of them. This is their guy. Now we can either choose to support this guy or we can choose to root for his demise. I’m gonna root for victories. The choice is up to the rest of you.

That's not true. Many of us based our opinions of him on his entire career up to this point. He had one great half against Minny, similarly he had a great half against Denver last year and never showed it again till now. If he can consistently do what he did, then that's fantastic. But many of us felt that on the balance of probabilities, he wouldn't. 

He's still running too much (even 10 carries a game is far too many). But Minny dared him to throw left, and he made them pay bigly. Good. That's what we've all been hoping for. It wasn't apparent in the Detroit game, because he decided to be the lead running back instead of the QB, but against Minny it looked like he turned a corner. 

Also, the Eagles tried to get Wilson AND Watson, but both refused to come here. So it wasn't for lack of want on the Eagles side. Nice try with the re-write of history there, buddy. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do they have to make a decision on it this year? He's in year 3 right? So technically could he play next year on his rookie deal? Not that it would be ideal as you'd be going in to the year knowing that you either need to extend him, tag him or he's going to walk. 

He can play the final season of his rookie contract without a new deal but that wouldn't be smart for the Eagles as the price keeps going up.  My guess is they sign him to an extension after the season but his 2023 cap number remains where it is, under $2 million, for 2023.  

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

That's not true. Many of us based our opinions of him on his entire career up to this point. He had one great half against Minny, similarly he had a great half against Denver last year and never showed it again till now. If he can consistently do what he did, then that's fantastic. But many of us felt that on the balance of probabilities, he wouldn't. 

He's still running too much (even 10 carries a game is far too many). But Minny dared him to throw left, and he made them pay bigly. Good. That's what we've all been hoping for. It wasn't apparent in the Detroit game, because he decided to be the lead running back instead of the QB, but against Minny it looked like he turned a corner. 

Also, the Eagles tried to get Wilson AND Watson, but both refused to come here. So it wasn't for lack of want on the Eagles side. Nice try with the re-write of history there, buddy. 

"Tried to get"?  Link from a credible source or it's BS.  The Eagles simply didn't have the cap room to get either, and thank god, because the low cap space their QB room commands allowed them to sign Brown, extend Mailata and so on. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Yes, for the 100th time, all the future cap discussions are based on the projected 2023 cap of 225 million and the projected 2024 cap of 256 million.

So the depth chart I just showed you for 2024, 26 players under contract, with 47.5 million in cap room to fill the other 27 spots.

You clearly don't understand how the cap works in out years.  But that's okay. You'll see. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

"Tried to get"?  Link from a credible source or it's BS.  The Eagles simply didn't have the cap room to get either, and thank god, because the low cap space their QB room commands allowed them to sign Brown, extend Mailata and so on. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/8/22968400/russell-wilson-trade-eagles-offer-quarterback-broncos-seahawks-philadelphia-jalen-hurts-qb-denver

https://section215.com/2022/03/19/philadelphia-eagles-report-watson/

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

A sports talk host in Seattle doing a hot take on a Denver radio show and an unsourced Twitter account are hardly bastions of sports journalism. They're the pablum that we inhale when we can't get real information.

I'm not saying they didn't kick the proverbial tires - Howie would be fired if he didn't - but these trades were never going to happen. And Aaron Rodgers wasn't coming here either.

And not for nothing, Hurts is currently tied for the 3rd lowest odds to win the MVP award, ahead of all three of those guys as well as Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady and Joe Burrow, among others.  Some of that is obviously a smitten betting public but still. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

A sports talk host in Seattle doing a hot take on a Denver radio show and an unsourced Twitter account are hardly bastions of sports journalism. They're the pablum that we inhale when we can't get real information.

I'm not saying they didn't kick the proverbial tires - Howie would be fired if he didn't - but these trades were never going to happen. And Aaron Rodgers wasn't coming here either.

And not for nothing, Hurts is currently tied for the 3rd lowest odds to win the MVP award, ahead of all three of those guys as well as Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady and Joe Burrow, among others.  Some of that is obviously a smitten betting public but still. 

Why ask for sources when you just ignore them anyway? 

You're just a disingenuous POS. See ya.

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Why ask for sources when you just ignore them anyway? 

You're just a disingenuous POS. See ya.

You get spanked and throw a tantrum? Spare me and grow up.  Dan Sileo said the Eagles were going to sign Clowney and the Sixers were trading for Kevin Durant.  Your "sources" are kinda like that.

Those aren't real sources and you know it, they just conveniently happen to fit your agenda.

25 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

You get spanked and throw a tantrum? Spare me and grow up.  Dan Sileo said the Eagles were going to sign Clowney and the Sixers were trading for Kevin Durant.  Your "sources" are kinda like that.

Those aren't real sources and you know it, they just conveniently happen to fit your agenda.

Spanked? Lol. 

Those were the first two things that come up when you Google it. I'm not wasting my time digging around any further, because a quote could come from Howie himself and you'd still disregard it. Yet you talk about agendas. Get a life. 

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Spanked? Lol. 

Those were the first two things that come up when you Google it. I'm not wasting my time digging around any further, because a quote could come from Howie himself and you'd still disregard it. Yet you talk about agendas. Get a life. 

You know what? You're right and I was too hasty.  There are a lot of nuances and "off the record" types of info that are involved in sports reporting and while I have a lot of problems with the bs that passes for "news" these days, sometimes there's not a lot else out there to work with. 

I would not disregard a quote from Howie, however. 

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Spanked? Lol. 

Do you need a hug or something? 😂

Already talking about 250M contract extension? Lol

17 hours ago, brkmsn said:

When as a fan you are open to the possibility that any player might develop into a very good player, seeing flashes from a player is encouraging. But when fans decide from the beginning that a player lacks talent and will always be what you see on his college tape and nothing more, they see those flashes as anomalies and are discouraged because that will give false hope and lead the team to make a horrible decision to commit to that player. Hurts came out strong in week 1 last season and than struggled for several weeks immediately after that. Even I was ready to see what Minshew could do at that point. But Hurts did start to show some flashes in the Chargers game and then, I felt, had a very strong performance vs Denver whose defense had been playing very well. Still, he lacked consistency through the end of the season, but he was showing signs of improvement and signs of growth. I expect inconsistency in young, inexperienced players. I also expect to see growth and improvement. 

For the most part, those same people that didn't like what you posted have been sounding off against anyone that didn't grab a pitchfork and join their mob. Optimism is frowned upon. "Jalen isn't tall enough," they said. "He lacks an NFL arm," they claimed. "You can't improve accuracy," they shouted. "Everybody is a hard worker at this level," they ensured us. "Carson Strong will surely be better," they promised. 

Anyway, they aren't upset at what you said. They are upset at how Jalen is playing. They don't want him and he's on track to get a big extension. That's what really bothers them. 

Who is they? Who is upset when he plays well? I see this crap on facebook a lot. So many comments saying the haters want him to fail. Can you give examples of who is upset at the way he's playing?

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

He had 330 yards of offense in week one against a blitz happy team and 390 yards of offense in week two against a team that didn't blitz and played zone.

This, despite the fact that you and others claimed all offseason that the NFL had Jalen figured out and that he was going to be shut down by other teams forcing him to go to his left.

Seasons still early my friend 

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Pretty crazy how people are ready to hand him the keys and a mega deal when we're going into week 3 lol

Yep, using recency bias, Tua is the 3rd best QB in the NFL.

Jalen Hurts is averaging about 79 yards more passing yards per game this season as opposed to last, if this continues he'll finish the season with 

4,608 passing yards!
Which would beat Carson Wentz's record 4,039 in 2019!

4 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Would you say he has had more good games than below average? This is one of the two or three games in his 20+ starts where I can see where optimism is deserved. I think on average, he has been below average. These first two games,I would say an above average ish game and an excellent game. I believe game to game is gonna be necessary because he won't see that defense again this year. 

I’d say he’s been mostly average with a few really good games to go with some really bad games. You see if you base his game on passing alone then you probably think differently of him as a player than others who view and understand his running is an essential part of his game too. That’s why some can foolishly look at that week one game and view it as a bad performance while others can see clearly that his running played a key role in winning that game. 

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Pretty crazy how people are ready to hand him the keys and a mega deal when we're going into week 3 lol

He's played fantastic in the last two weeks, Commanders only have 1 INT out of the 2 games but Eagles are tied for 2nd with 4 and Carson has already thrown 3 out of the last two games. 
The Commanders are 20th against the Pass, and 28th against the Run. Jalen Hurts and the Eagles Offense should score as much as they did against the Detroit Lions if not more in this game.

Carson Wentz will be pressured to throw early and often thus increasing the chance of sacks and interceptions as DC JG is still a bit on the hot seat despite the great Defense performance against the Vikings last week.

I predict Eagles will win this game by at least 10 points maybe 41 to 28?

15 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

To me that’s just as dumb as writing the guy off after one year. Not sure why anyone needs to be so obsessed with crowning the guy or condemning him. In any case the Eagles are the ones who will decide if Hurts gets paid or not.

10 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

He's played fantastic in the last two weeks, Commanders only have 1 INT out of the 2 games but Eagles are tied for 2nd with 4 and Carson has already thrown 3 out of the last two games. 
The Commanders are 20th against the Pass, and 28th against the Run. Jalen Hurts and the Eagles Offense should score as much as they did against the Detroit Lions if not more in this game.

Carson Wentz will be pressured to throw early and often thus increasing the chance of sacks and interceptions as DC JG is still a bit on the hot seat despite the great Defense performance against the Vikings last week.

I predict Eagles will win this game by at least 10 points maybe 41 to 28?

2 games

58 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

To me that’s just as dumb as writing the guy off after one year. Not sure why anyone needs to be so obsessed with crowning the guy or condemning him. In any case the Eagles are the ones who will decide if Hurts gets paid or not.

The fact that we are even entertaining a conversation about extending him is a huge accomplishment by the organization. I’m looking at a guy like Fields, who is more physically gifted than Hurts, completely be hung out to dry by his FO and coaching staff.

Hurts came into this league with drastically more questions than answers, but his development through organizational support and self-commitment is very encouraging. I bet Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields wish they had the support that the Eagles have provided Hurts.

Whether he can sustain it or not is the question now, the question of whether or not he can play at a high level at all has been answered.

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

He can play the final season of his rookie contract without a new deal but that wouldn't be smart for the Eagles as the price keeps going up.  My guess is they sign him to an extension after the season but his 2023 cap number remains where it is, under $2 million, for 2023.  

I guess that would be the logical move if they believe in him. Gives them next year with Hurts still on that small cap hit before then seeing a huge increase the following year. 

Archived