Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220243

This is the ESPN play by play of the game. Doug stayed with the run, but things began to go south when Sanders ran the ball for a bad loss. 

Doug’s true nature is to air it out. Period. Regardless of game sitch. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Outlaw said:

He is an AR disciple, but I’d love to see how Doug would be if he had an elite level back who doesn’t get so often. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He is an AR disciple, but I’d love to see how Doug would be if he had an elite level back who doesn’t get so often. 

Who are the "elite level backs” who don’t get dinged up? Henry and Zeke? That’s about it. Everyone else isn’t either elite level (or at least my definition of it) or are not injury free. 

The days of Barry, AP, etc are over unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Who are the "elite level backs” who don’t get dinged up? Henry and Zeke? That’s about it. Everyone else isn’t either elite level (or at least my definition of it) or are not injury free. 

The days of run-run-and run some more are over too. I’m telling you that if you look around the league the Eagles are pretty much par for the course. I think the bigger issue here is the Eagles just keep losing. Most of the teams that lose a game tend to throw it more than the winning team. 

41 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Which is crazy considering 2017. We ran the ball, controlled the clock, and scored points. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The days of run-run-and run some more are over too. I’m telling you that if you look around the league the Eagles are pretty much par for the course. I think the bigger issue here is the Eagles just keep losing. Most of the teams that lose a game tend to throw it more than the winning team. 

But when you have a rookie quarterback, a patchwork O line,  your team’s strength is running the ball, and the other team can’t stop the run — you should run the ball. I’m a Doug defender but he has the Reid/Mornhinweg curse bad.

3 hours ago, Runtherock said:

But when you have a rookie quarterback, a patchwork O line,  your team’s strength is running the ball, and the other team can’t stop the run — you should run the ball. I’m a Doug defender but he has the Reid/Mornhinweg curse bad.

Not only a rookie QB, but a rookie QB with limited arm talent.  Doug has to do better, but the other team can clearly see how to slow down this offense.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can't just stop running the ball because you are afraid your back will get hurt. Sanders can absolutely be an elite back he has been the only one week in and week out making big plays just for him to sit on the sideline for quarters and sometime the rest of games without another touch. Doug is a joke at this point. I wanted to give Doug another season because I really like him but, I'm over that now too Doug should go as well. 

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Zeke isn't elite anymore. Basically just Henry at this point. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Can't just stop running the ball because you are afraid your back will get hurt. Sanders can absolutely be an elite back he has been the only one week in and week out making big plays just for him to sit on the sideline for quarters and sometime the rest of games without another touch. Doug is a joke at this point. I wanted to give Doug another season because I really like him but, I'm over that now too Doug should go as well. 

Doug didn’t stop running the ball, because he’s afraid his guy will get hurt. There are several factors as to why this is assumed to have happened. There were multiple occasions where they lost yards on carries, and there were occasions where the line had holding and false start penalties. On top of all that the defense could not stop the Cowboys. The two touchdowns at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half by the Cowboys were killers. Teams that are behind in football games generally pass more than teams with the lead. You aren’t going to run to a victory when you’re behind. It’s that simple. 

9 hours ago, Runtherock said:

When you run the ball and you’re losing then you’re simply running out the clock. 

12 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Hurts failed to get the job done. The Pick in the End zone was a killer.

Correct. But as a rookie qb, he needs some slack on that leash.

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are 10th from the bottom in rushing attempts. They are 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt. 

That should just jump off the page. "I've had 13 different offensive lines, I'm 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt, but I think I'll throw the ball." 

Could be why they lead the NFL in fumbles. 

Doug Peterson as forgotten more about football than I know, but I can tell you that if my defense can't stop the team I'm coaching against from running the ball, they don't stop unless they're an idiot. That's high school coaching. 

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Not only a rookie QB, but a rookie QB with limited arm talent.  Doug has to do better, but the other team can clearly see how to slow down this offense.

People keep saying this.  I mean, sure, he's not Peyton or Mahomes but I see a guy with very nice touch on the deep ball.  That PI call he helped Alshon draw was a laser.

46 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

The Eagles are 10th from the bottom in rushing attempts. They are 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt. 

That should just jump off the page. "I've had 13 different offensive lines, I'm 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt, but I think I'll throw the ball." 

Could be why they lead the NFL in fumbles. 

Doug Peterson as forgotten more about football than I know, but I can tell you that if my defense can't stop the team I'm coaching against from running the ball, they don't stop unless they're an idiot. That's high school coaching. 

There was a drive in this Dallas game the Eagles ran it three straight times and it led to a punt. Keeping the ball from the other team doesn’t mean you win. It’s just a longer period of time before they score on you again. Frankly if another coach is on the sidelines watching you run it when you’re behind he’s happy, cause all you’re doing is keeping the clock running and brining the game closer to a closing victory for them. The fastest way to score is to pass. The fact our defense couldn’t stop anything is the biggest issue of all. I don’t know if I can even blame that on Schwartz too much either. He had a bunch of used car salesmen out there pretending to be defensive backs. 

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There was a drive in this Dallas game the Eagles ran it three straight times and it led to a punt. Keeping the ball from the other team doesn’t mean you win. It’s just a longer period of time before they score on you again. Frankly if another coach is on the sidelines watching you run it when you’re behind he’s happy, cause all you’re doing is keeping the clock running and brining the game closer to a closing victory for them. The fastest way to score is to pass. The fact our defense couldn’t stop anything is the biggest issue of all. I don’t know if I can even blame that on Schwartz too much either. He had a bunch of used car salesmen out there pretending to be defensive backs. 

While I wasn't advocating that you run it three straight times every drive, I'm fine with it leading to a punt if it is opposed to passing three straight times with an offensive line on its 13th different variation. This team plays above their heads when they run the ball. Doug then gets cute and pass happy. Then they lose. 

When you have the lack of consistency and injuries the Eagles have, you cannot pass 70% of the time. 

The 2020 Philadelphia Eagles are going to finish near the bottom of the league in rushing attempts and maybe 1st overall in yards per attempt. That's a disgrace. And they did it with massive injuries to the offensive line and tight ends. 

You're talking about trees in a forest man. The defense is down to one NFL level player at corner, the best linebacker was in Canada recently and Fletcher Cox was out. 

I'm now at the point where Doug and Howie both need to go. And I was a big fan of the Doug hire. 

12 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

While I wasn't advocating that you run it three straight times every drive, I'm fine with it leading to a punt if it is opposed to passing three straight times with an offensive line on its 13th different variation. This team plays above their heads when they run the ball. Doug then gets cute and pass happy. Then they lose. 

When you have the lack of consistency and injuries the Eagles have, you cannot pass 70% of the time. 

The 2020 Philadelphia Eagles are going to finish near the bottom of the league in rushing attempts and maybe 1st overall in yards per attempt. That's a disgrace. And they did it with massive injuries to the offensive line and tight ends. 

You're talking about trees in a forest man. The defense is down to one NFL level player at corner, the best linebacker was in Canada recently and Fletcher Cox was out. 

I'm now at the point where Doug and Howie both need to go. And I was a big fan of the Doug hire. 

I don’t mind if Doug and Howie go, but I think if Howie stays it won’t matter. It doesn’t matter, cause when the coach is looking for C.J. Mosley, but the GM is giving him Marcus Smith it won’t matter. When the coach wants Jefferson, but the GM gives him Reagor it won’t matter. When the coach wants Metcalf, but the GM gives him JJAW it won’t matter. As long as Howie stays the Eagles will have the same issues. 

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This is where the big back comes in, when we were up 14-3 that's when you beat the defense up with a bruiser.  He'll keep the chains moving which will lead to additional points.

When the smaller backs are hit near the LOS they may eek out a yard, when a bigger power runner is hit near the LOS they'll get you 3 yards on that carry.

Unfortunately any back we have that may serve in that capacity (Holyfield) or  is on the practice squad, we lean on Boston Scott, I tell you, they're clueless. 

BTW, what happened to the boy from Cincinnati (Bearcats)?

Doug named Hurts starter for final game.

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-jalen-hurts-will-start-eagles-final-game-of-2020-season

"I want to continue to evaluate," Pederson said of Hurts.

It was the obvious and logical move, even after Hurts turned the ball over three times and was shakier than previous starts in the Eagles' 37-17 blowout loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

The Eagles need to see as much of Hurts in game-action as possible.

Pederson dismissed questions about Carson Wentz and Hurts' futures as the Eagles' season comes to a close after being eliminated from playoff contention.

"We're not there yet," the coach noted when asked who his QB of the future would be. Pederson added: "We'll answer that at a different time."

17 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Which is crazy considering 2017. We ran the ball, controlled the clock, and scored points. 

We had big backs that kept the chains moving which took all the pressure off of Wentz.

Last week I was viewing one game and one of the announcers said you have to be able to run the ball when you need to run the ball, you need big power runners to accomplish that feat.

The thing about those guys it seems as though they get stronger as the game goes on, trust me, they're not changing anything about how they run it's just that they've beat up the defense to the point where they don't want anything to do with tackling them again.  

Obviously Jordan Howard must be washed ala Jay Ajayi.  Brought the guy back but still not letting him carry the load.

We need a bruising complement to Sanders.  Miles is too fragile to handle the job by himself.

5 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Obviously Jordan Howard must be washed ala Jay Ajayi.  Brought the guy back but still not letting him carry the load.

We need a bruising complement to Sanders.  Miles is too fragile to handle the job by himself.

I yell about this every damn game. This is the most obvious, easily fixable problem on the team. Trotting Boston Scott out there as the #2 was a dumb*** move from day 1.

Just now, Saltpeter said:

I yell about this every damn game. This is the most obvious, easily fixable problem on the team. Trotting Boston Scott out there as the #2 was a dope move from day 1.

Yeah it's pretty obvious Doug limits Sanders' carries because he knows he'll get hurt sooner or later.  That means we need another guy.  Boston Scott and the JAGs on the taxi squad don't cut it.

Archived