Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Maybe it's just jitters talking, but I can't help but think what Howie should do if a guy like Stroud drops to the NO pick. Hurts has been sensational and his improvement year over year is undeniable, but this is now 2 years in a row he has gotten injured.

A rookie QB would let us reset the rookie QB cap clock, we let Hurts play his last year and then tag and trade him after next season. Now, I certainly wouldn't trade up for Stroud, nor would I ever consider Young or Levis aka Wentz 2.0 with the NO pick, but if somehow a guy like Stroud falls in your lap, makes you think...

With that said, if Hurts balls out in the postseason and we go on a legit run, then F it all, pay the man and let's keep it moving.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

A rookie QB would let us reset the rookie QB cap clock, we let Hurts play his last year and then tag and trade him after next season.

Sounds like a good way to piss off hurts his agent and probably AJ. So then they don't sign the tag you lose him anyways and now have an angry star receiver because you did his boy dirty. 

52 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sounds like a good way to piss off hurts his agent and probably AJ. So then they don't sign the tag you lose him anyways and now have an angry star receiver because you did his boy dirty. 

It wont' be the first time a player would be unhappy with the tag only to still be traded ie Khalil Mack. Regardless, we're talking about a hypothetical based on several other unlikely hypotheticals.

I'm more than 95% sure that Hurts is signed to an extension after this season.

6 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Maybe it's just jitters talking, but I can't help but think what Howie should do if a guy like Stroud drops to the NO pick. Hurts has been sensational and his improvement year over year is undeniable, but this is now 2 years in a row he has gotten injured.

A rookie QB would let us reset the rookie QB cap clock, we let Hurts play his last year and then tag and trade him after next season. Now, I certainly wouldn't trade up for Stroud, nor would I ever consider Young or Levis aka Wentz 2.0 with the NO pick, but if somehow a guy like Stroud falls in your lap, makes you think...

With that said, if Hurts balls out in the postseason and we go on a legit run, then F it all, pay the man and let's keep it moving.

You have to then consider

Hurts’ experience + draft haul for trading Stroud pick

Stroud’s gamble + Free Agents from Hurts salary cap relief

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

With all the stories we are hearing about teams basically giving up on their quarterbacks this season I highly doubt any solid quarterbacks drop to the Eagles pick. Also any rookie is a gamble and you potentially turn a sb team into a wildcard team or worse. People are blowing this Hurts thing out of proportion due to a little panicky feeling but seriously think back. When was the last time any Eagles quarterback consistently gave the team a 16 game season? This has been a common place these for all the Eagles quarterbacks. There have been some very solid players at the position who always seem to be hurt at some point. Even around the league guys have been Hurt from quarterbacks with mobility to stand up statues. Seems like the Eagles need to once again find themselves with a quality level backup quarterback because most likely whoever is playing quarterback he’s going to get hurt eventually. This is commonplace in the history of the Eagles and it doesn’t matter what style of quarterback they have out there. 

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

You have to then consider

Hurts’ experience + draft haul for trading Stroud pick

Stroud’s gamble + Free Agents from Hurts salary cap relief

You also can’t sell free agents or vets on buying in to a rookie after so many have brought into Hurts. Fastest way to send vets like Cox, Johnson, and Kelce out the door. 

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You also can’t sell free agents or vets on buying in to a rookie after so many have brought into Hurts. Fastest way to send vets like Cox, Johnson, and Kelce out the door. 

Cox and Kelce are gone after this year.  The new contracts were set up that way.

11 hours ago, nipples said:

The Saints are trash. They’ll beat them with ease even with Minshew starting. 

You're putting alot of faith in this crap defense

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Every snap a QB plays where he doesn't hand the ball off is a risk. Hurts has more runs, but less pass attempts. So the risk per play is on par with most QBs. Jim Everett perfected the only  safe QB play --- the self sack:

FreshSadEchidna-max-1mb.gif

I mean saying being used like a RB is the same risk as dropping back is not true. Passing you likely won't even get hit especially with this O-line... running he's going to get hit every play.

28 minutes ago, Swimm said:

You're putting alot of faith in this crap defense

The defense has a bad game, which was not helped at all by the offense turning the ball over 4 times. 20 of Dallas points came off those turnovers. That "crap defense” is still top 10 in points allowed.  Saints offense is bottom 10. 

38-17 Eagles

17 minutes ago, nipples said:

The defense has a bad game, which was not helped at all by the offense turning the ball over 4 times. 20 of Dallas points came off those turnovers. That "crap defense” is still top 10 in points allowed.  Saints offense is bottom 10. 

38-17 Eagles

How many drives that Dallas didn’t start with a turnover did the Eagles get a stop ??

Wondering if anyone actually has the stats on how many hits jalen has taken in the pocket versus out?  

35 sacks so there’s at least 35 hits there. Plus whatever hits he taken after releasing the ball because it’s not always a clean pass and no contact. 

170 something rushed but not all of them resulted in hits, he has slid or gotten oob on probably half of those.  

I don’t have the time to review every game and stat line but I’m sure one of you dorks can 😂  the point is yeah he runs a lot but it’s not always ending in a massive hit.  And qbs get hit and hurt in the pocket trying to throw the ball.  Sometimes running away from a potentially bigger hit is a better option 

4 minutes ago, DBW said:

Wondering if anyone actually has the stats on how many hits jalen has taken in the pocket versus out?  

35 sacks so there’s at least 35 hits there. Plus whatever hits he taken after releasing the ball because it’s not always a clean pass and no contact. 

170 something rushed but not all of them resulted in hits, he has slid or gotten oob on probably half of those.  

I don’t have the time to review every game and stat line but I’m sure one of you dorks can 😂  the point is yeah he runs a lot but it’s not always ending in a massive hit.  And qbs get hit and hurt in the pocket trying to throw the ball.  Sometimes running away from a potentially bigger hit is a better option 

Running from sacks or just running on pass plays when nobody is open or there's a big lane is great. All the designed runs are another thing, it just piles on. Hurts is only 24 so he can handle most of it for now, I just hope he keeps increasing his passing skills which I think he will so we can transition to a more pass oriented offense without all the RPO runs.

10 minutes ago, Damanick10 said:

Running from sacks or just running on pass plays when nobody is open or there's a big lane is great. All the designed runs are another thing, it just piles on. Hurts is only 24 so he can handle most of it for now, I just hope he keeps increasing his passing skills which I think he will so we can transition to a more pass oriented offense without all the RPO runs.

And we also have to take into Acct that not all his runs are designed.  For instance in the game where had 17 runs, his most in a single game, there were 3 kneel downs, 3-4 qb sneaks where risk is minimal, and only 3-4 were actually designed/called runs and/or giving him the option.  I believe Siriani after that game said the average is 4.5 called runs per game.  So this narrative that they’re intentionally running him a lot more than necessary or that he’s just a "running qb” waiting to get hurt is false.  

1 hour ago, Damanick10 said:

I mean saying being used like a RB is the same risk as dropping back is not true. Passing you likely won't even get hit especially with this O-line... running he's going to get hit every play.

Actually, he can avoid legal hits on many runs. He can choose to run out of bounds or slide and when he does decide to try to break a tackle, he can control how the hit is absorbed. The hits QBs take from sacks or immediately after the throw offer QBs no self-protection at all. Outside the QB sneaks, very few Hurts runs finish like RB runs. When you look at all his runs over the season, on average how many per game would you label as took a big hit? It's not very many. The risk exists, but it exists in the pocket as well --- even with a great O-line. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

How many drives that Dallas didn’t start with a turnover did the Eagles get a stop ??

6 times did Dallas have a drive that didn’t succeed a Philly turnover (not counting kneel downs), only twice did they reach the endzone

4 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

6 times did Dallas have a drive that didn’t succeed a Philly turnover (not counting kneel downs), only twice did they reach the endzone

7 times, removing kneel downs, 5 times.

They scored on 4 of those 5 with 1 punt.

Didn’t matter, turnover, full field, they scored on 8 of 9 possessions 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

7 times, removing kneel downs, 5 times.

They scored on 4 of those 5 with 1 punt.

Didn’t matter, turnover, full field, they scored on 8 of 9 possessions 

You’re forgetting the pick 6

Is a field goal the defense failing to stop them?

Just now, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Is a field goal the defense failing to stop them?

Still gave up points.  Find me any other game last weekend, removing kneel downs, that a team scored  89% of their possessions

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Still gave up points.  Find me any other game last weekend, removing kneel downs, that a team scored  89% of their possessions

You’re forgetting the pick 6 on drives that didn’t succeed a turnover.

Would you say the drive at the end of the fourth where they picked up our fumble at our 21, got 13 yards and then Kicked a field goal was our defense "failing to stop them”?

That was one of the most potent offenses in the league, and field goals being worth less than half of TDs, it requires a tremendous amount of context removal to pile them into the same category.

In Drives where Dallas started on their side of the field, they scored 17 total points. Making your defense start on their own 30, or their own 40 where a quick first down puts the opponent in scoring range is hard on them.

13 hours ago, nipples said:

The Saints are trash. They’ll beat them with ease even with Minshew starting. 

I really hope so. It’s just making me nervous with all these injuries. They are starting to amount at the worst possible time.

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

You’re forgetting the pick 6 on drives that didn’t succeed a turnover.

Would you say the drive at the end of the fourth where they picked up our fumble at our 21, got 13 yards and then Kicked a field goal was our defense "failing to stop them”?

That was one of the most potent offenses in the league, and field goals being worth less than half of TDs, it requires a tremendous amount of context removal to pile them into the same category.

In Drives where Dallas started on their side of the field, they scored 17 total points. Making your defense start on their own 30, or their own 40 where a quick first down puts the opponent in scoring range is hard on them.

I will give you the pick 6, but the defense can still make things happen, and get stops that force a punt, and the Eagles did that 2 out of 10 times, so they gave up points 80% of the time.

Here is the Titans / Cowboys Thursday nights.

You will notice the Titans turned the ball over twice.  They forced a turnover back on one possession, and a 3 and out on the other.

You will also notice, the Titans only surrendered points on 5 of 11 possession's, while resting multiple defensive starters.

The Eagles defense gave up points 80% of the time, the Titans defense gave up points 45% of the time and 0% of the time after a turnover.

image.png.7879c09841f27237d005dcb94bd49db4.png

image.png.21ee435cc71eaae862c22b51d484406c.png

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

6DE0D7A8-B7F6-4A01-B440-1A673E57B64C.jpeg

Honestly I think this is the right call. I thought it would have happened anyways. This was going to be Minshew for at least two games. If by some chance they lose at home against the Saints then he’s going against the Giants. If not then he’s on ice till the playoffs.

Archived