Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

11 hours ago, LacesOut said:

SF winning games left and right with a 3rd string QB. Our 2nd string QB can’t do sheet. 

Better coached all around team. Jalen has "carried" this team to a lot of wins ... he's the reason this Offensive system thrives. Gardner Minshew is just a dude ... every now and then the stars will align for him to have a solid game, but most of the time he'll thrive at inconsistency. Without Jalen this is a .500 or so team.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Thrive said:

We’ll see. Not sure how much one player can really change this ish show.

Leadership. 

9 hours ago, Eaglesfandan said:

......and a bunch of sacks.  I can't see how anybody would say the defense didn't do it's job.

Dalton 18-22, Hill 2-2. Let's not get too excited because we picked up a few sacks against one of the NFL's worst offenses. One of their drives stalled because of a dropped pass, not a defensive play. 

The offense was worse, but the defense set the tone at the beginning of the game and allowed Hill to drag them 5-7 yards after contact (while some defenders stood there watching)  every run to close out the game.

Not sure why people are giving the "can’t blame Minshew” take. This guy was supposed to be the passer this team needed to be successful right? That was the take before this season started. He didn’t do the job today on so many levels. He was bad. Nobody was complaining they didn’t run enough last year when he beat the Jets. Let’s call it like we see it. Minshew was a disappointment especially when you consider people were calling this guy one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the league. That means he’s a starter in this league. Well he sure didn’t look like one yesterday. On top of that he’s basically had two weeks of practice. He’s gotta play better than that. 

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure why people are giving the "can’t blame Minshew” take. This guy was supposed to be the passer this team needed to be successful right? That was the take before this season started. He didn’t do the job today on so many levels. He was bad. Nobody was complaining they didn’t run enough last year when he beat the Jets. Let’s call it like we see it. Minshew was a disappointment especially when you consider people were calling this guy one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the league. That means he’s a starter in this league. Well he sure didn’t look like one yesterday. On top of that he’s basically had two weeks of practice. He’s gotta play better than that. 

I still believe Minshew is one of the better backups in this league and that he can play better than he has played in the last 2 games. I have to wonder how much he's really dealing with the Mike Leach passing. 

44 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Talk about a weak ass arm too. Dude puts everything he has into every throw more than 5 yards

12 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Talk about a weak ass arm too. Dude puts everything he has into every throw more than 5 yards

Funny we used to say that about Hurts and now he seems to be able to make almost all the throws.

Unless Jalen Hurts throws for 400 yards and four touchdowns against the NY Giants I don't think Hurts will win MVP this season vs Patrick Mahomes.

image.thumb.png.0114e8c5a8831e156e9e7c9b39c72e1c.png

2 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Unless Jalen Hurts throws for 400 yards and four touchdowns against the NY Giants I don't think Hurts will win MVP this season vs Patrick Mahomes.

image.thumb.png.0114e8c5a8831e156e9e7c9b39c72e1c.png

Mahomes is winning MVP. But Hurts is certainly the teams MVP.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure why people are giving the "can’t blame Minshew” take. This guy was supposed to be the passer this team needed to be successful right? That was the take before this season started. He didn’t do the job today on so many levels. He was bad.

1.  Nobody was complaining they didn’t run enough last year when he beat the Jets.

2.  Let’s call it like we see it. Minshew was a disappointment especially when you consider people were calling this guy one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the league.

That means he’s a starter in this league. Well he sure didn’t look like one yesterday. On top of that he’s basically had two weeks of practice. He’s gotta play better than that. 

1. Vs the Jets last year, 36 running back carries to 25 Minshew passes.  That is exactly what the game plan should have been yesterday.  Instead, 32 passes against the #2 pass defense and 14 runs against the #23 run defense.

2.  Yes, he played poorly, but the coaching was worse than his play.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

1. Vs the Jets last year, 36 running back carries to 25 Minshew passes.  That is exactly what the game plan should have been yesterday.  Instead, 32 passes against the #2 pass defense and 14 runs against the #23 run defense.

Coaching set them up to fail. I think we can all agree on that. Gives me very little confidence for this week against the Giants.

9 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Coaching set them up to fail. I think we can all agree on that. Gives me very little confidence for this week against the Giants.

Hopefully, Hurts makes the difference, with no more injuries. Sometimes the bye can kill momentum, but we need it to get guys healed up in the worst way.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hopefully, Hurts makes the difference, with no more injuries. Sometimes the bye can kill momentum, but we need it to get guys healed up in the worst way.

Hurts might be rusty as well. What worries me most is there is going to be pressure to win. Which means they will force things. And we’ve all seen what happens with this coaching staff under pressure.

Another thing I will point out, for all this is it Hurts or is it the system discussion, it is quite clear Sirianni and Steichen believe it is their system.

Why else would Minshew pass 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

I’m not here to criticize Minshew. I think he can be a solid back up. But it’s kinda lame when a person who has been critical of our MVP QB all season is suddenly full of excuses for Minshew.

1 minute ago, vaff said:

I’m not here to criticize Minshew. I think he can be a solid back up. But it’s kinda lame when a person who has been critical of our MVP QB all season is suddenly full of excuses for Minshew.

But not man enough to call out that person specifically 

Minshew was bad. The coaches were bad. The entire offense was bad for most of the game. They called plays as if Hurts and Lane Johnson were out there. Minshew has to do better, even if the gameplan was crap. He looked lost. It looked like the whole offense gave up for stretches of the game.

Hurts is at least steady when running the offense. He doesn't let the moment dictate how he's going to play. If things are bad, he goes out next series, rallies the guys and tries again. I hope he's good to play against the Giants. They need him back badly.

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

Hurts is at least steady when running the offense. He doesn't let the moment dictate how he's going to play. If things are bad, he goes out next series, rallies the guys and tries again. I hope he's good to play against the Giants. They need him back badly.

The last two games I think have shown he is the MVP. He's so important to this team, what they do and how they do. He's not just playing at a very high level but he's the leader of this team and he sets the tempo. Without him this team looks a little lost. But that's OK because he's going to come back. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The last two games I think have shown he is the MVP. He's so important to this team, what they do and how they do. He's not just playing at a very high level but he's the leader of this team and he sets the tempo. Without him this team looks a little lost. But that's OK because he's going to come back. 

Honestly the last few games have made me question Siri/Shane going forward, It is clear that Hurts' MVP play was masking their ineptitude.

Shane is likely gone next year, so I hope Brian is better at game planning and play-calling. Siri is a CEO HC, he's good for motivational speeches and operations but he's not in the upper echelon of offensive coaches.

24 minutes ago, vaff said:

A "solid backup" wins one of those two games.  His first half was as bad a half of football as I've seen in a long, long time.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

A "solid backup" wins one of those two games.  His first half was as bad a half of football as I've seen in a long, long time.  

2 called runs in the half.  That is on the coaches.

Just now, downundermike said:

2 called runs in the half.  That is on the coaches.

100%.  Coaching on both sides of the ball has regressed significantly over the past few weeks, and that is as troubling as anything.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Minshew IS the reason they lost. It's not surprising to see that this is your stance though. 

2 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Minshew IS the reason they lost. It's not surprising to see that this is your stance though. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Another thing I will point out, for all this is it Hurts or is it the system discussion, it is quite clear Sirianni and Steichen believe it is their system.

Why else would Minshew pass 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

Archived