Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Congrats! You’ve advanced from being happy with regular season wins to now Super Bowl appearances. Just take one more little step, buddy, you can do it!!

I am happy to see the Eagles doing well. I am also happy the team has found an elite qb that will be leading them for the foreseeable future, which is the easiest way to have repeated success in the NFL.

You, however, seem to think the team should go in another direction at qb. Which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Plus, at least you are being true to your overall body of work ITT.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Hahah again going back 4 months you can't get enough of me huh. Did you print this post out and keep by your bed? I guess you also would say Josh Allen and Hurts have the same running style? I'm not surprised. 

Can you please confirm for me, that Josh Allen runs into contact but Hurts avoids it. That’s your position?

Just now, jsb235 said:

I am happy to see the Eagles doing well. I am also happy the team has found an elite qb that will be leading them for the foreseeable future, which is the easiest way to have repeated success in the NFL.

You, however, seem to think the team should go in another direction at qb. Which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Plus, at least you are being true to your overall body of work ITT.

I’ve never said go another direction. Why can’t you admit that being injured during the stretch run of the season in both years he’s been the starter is a problem?

And with his contract coming up, how do you build that concern in? How much do we need to spend on a viable back up as well?

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Some people think that other direction was Minshew, because losing football games with a quarterback who can throw, but can’t run is better than winning with one who can do both because some people are stupid. 

Hay @justwinbaby this website says the Ravens are 4-7 without Lamar Jackson.  I feel like I have seen that somewhere else.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-is-the-ravens-record-without-lamar-jackson

image.thumb.png.077e3c35fc9a932fb24523c15739cd74.png

38 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Now that we have corrected that, you should still be focused on the bolded, the Ravens are 4-7 without Lamar Jackson.  he has missed games 10 games the last two years.

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I’ve never said go another direction. Why can’t you admit that being injured during the stretch run of the season in both years he’s been the starter is a problem?

And with his contract coming up, how do you build that concern in? How much do we need to spend on a viable back up as well?

Again, I am not concerned, relative to the fact that finding an elite qb is incredibly rare. 

And it sounds like you just want to avoid paying Hurts what he is worth, which is fine. But someone is going to pay him $40+ million a year. So the choice is pay him or replace him. There's no other scenario. 

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You'd think if Hurts was this big team guy and leader with all of these intangibles he has, he'd be more involved with helping Minshew on the sidelines.  Foles was able to develop his game with Wentz in his ear. 

Just saying.  

He was. 2nd tweet below.

Also, over the years different QBs have talked about this dynamic and many QBs prefer to NOT have the backup (or starter turned backup) talking to them that much.  They are talking to the coaches, reviewing the film and preparing.  There are insights to be given and that kind of thing but it's not like they talk that much.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:25 PM, NOTW said:

Despite the narrative that Hurts a bad teammate and just standing there looking annoyed and not engaged with teammates (the cameras show things for drama).

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Again, I am not concerned, relative to the fact that finding an elite qb is incredibly rare. 

And it sounds like you just want to avoid paying Hurts what he is worth, which is fine. But someone is going to pay him $40+ million a year. So the choice is pay him or replace him. There's no other scenario. 

You don't know what he is worth.  This team is going to be quite different next year, and he is going to have to carry them more and more.

He has already missed games due to injury, and he will miss more the more he has to do.

I would be willing to bet, short of winning a Super Bowl, the Eagles front office is going to wait and see how next year plays out.

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You'd think if Hurts was this big team guy and leader with all of these intangibles he has, he'd be more involved with helping Minshew on the sidelines.  Foles was able to develop his game with Wentz in his ear. 

Just saying.  

Wentz famously alienated the locker room because of how he acted when he was sidelined during the Super Bowl run. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/9/22968823/carson-wentz-voiced-his-displeasure-eagles-success-to-other-injured-players-during-super-bowl-run

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would be willing to bet, short of winning a Super Bowl, the Eagles front office is going to wait and see how next year plays out.

I think you are wrong. And it has gotten somewhat tedious typing this over and over again about your posts itt. 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Obviously not good enough.  Need to see more.  Rent’s due, regardless of who’s bringing home the money.  

I mean, Minshew called him a great teammate, helping him all week to prepare, doing whatever he can to help but yeah... keep grasping at straws to criticize Hurts.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think you are wrong. And it has gotten somewhat tedious typing this over and over again about your posts itt. 

Coming from the guy who was gonna make me quit the board because he wanted to change how math works, and then got laughed at by everyone.

You wanna make an avatar bet ??  

The Eagles do not extend Jalen Hurts this off season, you have the avatar of my choosing for a month.

The Eagles do extend Jalen Hurts this off season, I have the avatar of your choosing for a month.

Just now, downundermike said:

Coming from the guy who was gonna make me quit the board because he wanted to change how math works, and then got laughed at by everyone.

You wanna make an avatar bet ??  

The Eagles do not extend Jalen Hurts this off season, you have the avatar of my choosing for a month.

The Eagles do extend Jalen Hurts this off season, I have the avatar of your choosing for a month.

Not interested in a bet. Not that i am afraid of losing, but you don't matter enough to me for me to go through the trouble of selecting an avatar for you. 

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Not interested in a bet. Not that i am afraid of losing, but you don't matter enough to me for me to go through the trouble of selecting an avatar for you. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

But he matters enough for you to start a thread for you to get owned in?

Exactly.  After his embarrassing attempt to make me quit the board, which turned into the board laughing at him, now I don't matter.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

But he matters enough for you to start a thread for you to get owned in?

Owned? That thread was about how hurts would struggle this year because nfl defenses had figured him out. If that is getting owned, sure, he won. 

But i think i ended up on the right side of that debate. 

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Owned? That thread was about how hurts would struggle this year because nfl defenses had figured him out. If that is getting owned, sure, he won. 

But i think i ended up on the right side of that debate. 

No, that is not at all what it was about.

Here is your opening post, you tried to change the way math works.  You said if you take 3 end results, you can then take those 3 results, divide by 3 to get the average.

I then provided double digit examples of that being false, and then everyone piled on and laughed at you.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, jsb235 said:

This is the war you have been waiting for - arguably the biggest defender of Jalen Hurts versus arguably his biggest hater.

The battle is over qb rating.

And off we go.

The basics - my contention is that Jalen Hurts had his best qb ratings over the final 3 games of the season, when he registered marks of 110, 103 and 91. Downundermike claims his ratings were better over a three-game stretch earlier in the season when he registered marks of 86, 115 and 103.

His argument is that you have to use raw data from those three games (attempts, completions, yardage, TDs and INTs) to get an accurate overall number for those three games.

I disagree.

Here is my reasoning.

The definition of a quarterback rating is "a statistic that represents a quarterback's overall performance."

After each game, a player gets a number. That number represents how that player did in that particular game.

Therefore, if a player scores a 75, a 100 and a 125, it is assumed his performance was about a 100 over three games.

That is accurate, because the whole point was to create a snapshot of how a player did in a particular point of time. It was introduced to eliminate outliers and also to compare qb stats in real time.

So, for example, if a qb scored a 75, a 75 and a 150 over three games, the qb rating would reflect that he had two bad outings and one great one, and not overinflate the one great outing. His rating would be the average of those three performances, or 100. Again, the rating is a number that reflects performance based on stats, not simply the stats themselves.

But Downundermike wants to change the rules. Let's say, in the above example, the qb had two games where he attempted 20 passes, completed 10, for 180 yards, had 2 TDs and 2 INTs. In those two games he would register a rating of 75. And then he had a game where he registered an almost perfect passer rating. He went 20 of 30 for 400 yards and four TDs with no interceptions. That is a passer rating of 150.

The way I calculated his rating (based on performance and not pure stats) is that he had a somewhat decent rating of 100. But under Downundermike's calculation, his rating would be 109.2, a significant increase.

But enough hypotheticals, let's examine Jalen Hurts.

In the last three games of the season, he had the aforementioned ratings of 110, 103 and 91.

Over that period he completed 54 passes out of 81 attempts for 709 yards and three TDs and one interception.

In the period where Downundermike claims he was better, he completed 36 passes out of 54 attempts for 443 yards, with three TDs and one INT.

Downundermike wants to just plug raw data to generate one number for those three games. But remember, the whole point is that the rating is supposed to be a reflection of a qb's performance in a set time frame, in this case one game. If we are comparing his performance on a per-game basis over three games, we have to use each rating as a reflection of that performance.

Passer rating is not a perfect statistic. But it becomes less perfect when you use it in a way that it wasn't intended to be used. It is a reflection of how a qb performs over a set period of time. In this case, the parameters were his per game performance over three games. Therefore, he was clearly as good over the last three games of the season as he was in the three-game stretch cited by Downundermike, and not significantly worse, as our antagonist has claimed.

As an aside, anyone agreeing with downundermike needs a basic math refresher course. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I then provided double digit examples of that being false, and then everyone piled on and laughed at you.

All of them were Hurts Haters who piled on, and all of them were proven to be incredibly wrong about the team's qb, and most of them are still being incredibly wrong about their team's qb, including you.

And when Hurts signs his extension this offseason, you will be wrong once again.

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

All of them were Hurts Haters who piled on, and all of them were proven to be incredibly wrong about the team's qb, and most of them are still being incredibly wrong about their team's qb, including you.

And when Hurts signs his extension this offseason, you will be wrong once again.

You’re blatantly back peddling now. You outright lied about what that thread was about, and when shown your own opening post, now you’re changing the subject entirely. 

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

That is not what that discussion was about, it was about your lack of understanding of how math works.

If you are so confident in Hurts getting an extension, why wont you make the bet.

I currently have an avatar that is honoring a bet I made.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That is not what that discussion was about, it was about your lack of understanding of how math works.

If you are so confident in Hurts getting an extension, why wont you make the bet.

I currently have an avatar that is honoring a bet I made.

Again, not interested in a bet. Time will tell which one of us is right. You, the guy who has gotten everything wrong over the last two years, or me, who hasn't.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  I am surprised he didn't delete it, honestly.  

Why? Because it shows how Hurts' performance at the end of 2021 was an accurate prediction of how he would play this year?

Not sure I am the guy who wants that evidence to go away. You on the other hand...

5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Again, not interested in a bet. Time will tell which one of us is right. You, the guy who has gotten everything wrong over the last two years, or me, who hasn't.

100% false.  I have been right about plenty of things.  Ask @TorontoEagle, I was right that Nakobe Dean would not get one vote for DROY.

Archived