Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

The optics of drafting a QB at 6 after the absolute ish show over the last year would be horrible and lurie knows it. I believe that's why he directed the org to focus on making hurts successful this year. That way if hurts is good, we might have a future QB. If he sucks, we'll have drafted someone to (hopefully) help the next QB.

It already looks bad because all these unnamed sources are pointing at Howie as the problem in the building and obviously the fanbase is ready to tar and feather him. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Only in Philadelphia would the majority of fans and media **** and complain about something like this when it's obviously the correct choice. They just invested a 2nd round pick in the kid a year ago. It's a rebuilding year coming up. They need to find out if Hurts is the answer, and it's the perfect situation while rebuilding to do so. If he isn't good they should end up with a high pick again next year and at that point they could take a QB. About a week ago when the rumors were the Eagles might take a QB at 6 everyone was flipping out, now a week later they reportedly aren't and everyone is flipping out. Bunch of FN miserable drama queens.

The complaint isn't about Hurts specifically.  It's about the owner dictating things like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, etc.

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The complaint isn't about Hurts specifically.  It's about the owner dictating things like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, etc.

The "Wentz Washer" crew likes to create narratives. Still waiting for the one circus act to show me where someone bashed Hurts for working hard to improve.

Lurie also reportedly demanded they draft JJAW. 

Just because one decision may be right, doesn't mean it's a good thing the owner gets too involved.

Just now, NOTW said:

Just because one decision may be right, doesn't mean it's a good thing the owner gets too involved.

My new favorite are the few that think it's great that Lurie is making picks because Howie sucks... On what planet does that make sense? 

29 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I feel like these reports are just coming from Howie. This FO is so leaky and I feel like all these leaks are for the purpose of trying to make Roseman look better. 

One of the Eagle's podcast also reported that Lurie has become increasingly involved over the past few years. From surprising coaches by sitting in on meetings to having one on one debriefs with Doug after every game. It is the owner's right to be involved, but as we have seen from Jerry and the Snyders teams are successful when they let the people they hire do their jobs.

I don’t think there are many NFL team owners who aren’t involved or have a say in who the QB of the team is going to be before a season starts. 

Now if Lurie comes out and says he wants Derek Barnett getting X amount of snaps at a position or something like that then yeah you have an issue. I haven’t seen anything like that in my lifetime of watching the Eagles while Lurie owns them. 

18 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Remember back when we used to make fun of franchises with owners who played GM?  Well, now we've got one.

We've had one all along.  Lurie has just kept it under the radar.

But if we owned a business that grew from $185 million in value when we bought it to the $3.4 BILLION it's worth today we would probably be involved as well.  Besides,  this is the kind of decision owners are supposed to make.  Play the high draft pick who just replaced the other high draft pick while we get our act together cap-wise and go from there.  It's not  like he's calling plays from his suite.  He's guiding the organization. 

55 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

We've had one all along.  Lurie has just kept it under the radar.

I think he got more involved in 2016 after firing Chip and reinstating Howie. That yielded a SB and so he probably thought "OK I'm pretty good at this".

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I don’t think there are many NFL team owners who aren’t involved or have a say in who the QB of the team is going to be before a season starts. 

Now if Lurie comes out and says he wants Derek Barnett getting X amount of snaps at a position or something like that then yeah you have an issue. I haven’t seen anything like that in my lifetime of watching the Eagles while Lurie owns them. 

In the last few years there have been reports that Lurie:

• Insisted Doug fire his offensive coaches
  • Told the team to draft JJAW over whoever they had on their board
  • Force Doug to bench Wentz for Hurts

Those are personnel and coaching decisions.  It's understandable for the owner to want to see results and to insist on changes if things aren't going well.  But you also have to hire a competent GM and trust them to make those calls. 

As owner of the team, Lurie making calls on key personnel decisions is understandable.  The GM needs to be the person to smooth things out or give alternatives and suggestions.  The owner is alone at the top and he needs someone to discuss and bounce ideas.  Howie appears to be tight with Lurie and not sure to what extent he is filling in the various roles of a GM.  What is unclear is when the owner wants to fire the GM, whom he can talk to within the organization.

Hurts is here as the #1 QB now.  To draft another QB high, e.g. with the #6 pick, it would mess up the position once again.  Smart move is to play Hurts this season and add weapons on offense as a key element of rebuilding effort.  If Hurts fails to impress, you find the QB of the future after the season.

Defense also needs new talents.  It makes sense to trade back to the teens and pick up another mid- to late round pick or two.  We need all the picks to fill in many holes on the roster.

5 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I feel like these reports are just coming from Howie. This FO is so leaky and I feel like all these leaks are for the purpose of trying to make Roseman look better. 

Not sure how that makes Howie look better at all. Just makes him look even more like an idiot that needs to be fired . 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

In the last few years there have been reports that Lurie:

• Insisted Doug fire his offensive coaches
  • Told the team to draft JJAW over whoever they had on their board
  • Force Doug to bench Wentz for Hurts

Those are personnel and coaching decisions.  It's understandable for the owner to want to see results and to insist on changes if things aren't going well.  But you also have to hire a competent GM and trust them to make those calls. 

This is a weird take from you, since you were so insistent that reports about Carson Wentz shouldn't be believed from the media. Why is it different when there are "reports" that Lurie is a meddling owner?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he got more involved in 2016 after firing Chip and reinstating Howie. That yielded a SB and so he probably thought "OK I'm pretty good at this".

I hadn't thought about that but you make an excellent point.  He handed Chip total control and that was one of the top 5 management disasters in team history (the Dream Team and the whole Carson Wentz saga are also up there).

So he took it back. 

2 minutes ago, YubaEagle said:

This is a weird take from you, since you were so insistent that reports about Carson Wentz shouldn't be believed from the media. Why is it different when there are "reports" that Lurie is a meddling owner?

He pointed out the reports, he didn't say anywhere in there that he believed them. Also saying he could see where lurie would step in if the reports are true. 

Just now, YubaEagle said:

This is a weird take from you, since you were so insistent that reports about Carson Wentz shouldn't be believed from the media. Why is it different when there are "reports" that Lurie is a meddling owner.

Most of the reporting from the primary platforms that follow the Eagles - local news sites, stations and papers, ESPN, the NFL.com guys - is well sourced and as accurate as it can be.  @time2rock commented earlier that he thinks this is the beginning of the disinformation season as team position themselves to wheel and deal ahead of the draft. I agree. 

29 minutes ago, YubaEagle said:

I was continuing my line of thinking from my earlier post questioning if the Mort report is to be believed.  I asked how does Mort know that Lurie demanded this?   My argument has been "if" these reports about Lurie are true, then you can't just say it's a good thing when you like the decision (start Hurts) but what about decisions you don't like (draft JJAW)?  I don't always qualify every post with "if these reports are true," a lot of this stuff is rumors, gossip, speculation and "unnamed sources."  With Carson, I said there were various conflicting reports.  Some named players from the Bears, that turned out to be false.  Some said Doug was fired because he wanted to keep Wentz, others that he was fired because he wanted to start Hurts and wanted Wentz gone.  There are always various "reports" about this team and they often contradict each other.

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I was continuing my line of thinking from my earlier post questioning if the Mort report is to be believed.  I asked how does Mort know that Lurie demanded this?   My argument has been "if" these reports about Lurie are true, then you can't just say it's a good thing when you like the decision (start Hurts) but what about decisions you don't like (draft JJAW)?  I don't always qualify every post with "if these reports are true," a lot of this stuff is rumors, gossip, speculation and "unnamed sources."  With Carson, I said there were various conflicting reports.  Some named players from the Bears, that turned out to be false.  Some said Doug was fired because he wanted to keep Wentz, others that he was fired because he wanted to start Hurts and wanted Wentz gone.  There are always various "reports" about this team and they often contradict each other.

Got it. thanks for the reply.

I wish more reports quoted their sources; it's ridiculous the stuff that gets put out in the offseason just to generate discussion/clicks.

1 hour ago, YubaEagle said:

Got it. thanks for the reply.

I wish more reports quoted their sources; it's ridiculous the stuff that gets put out in the offseason just to generate discussion/clicks.

Most sources wouldn’t share a word with journalists if their name was on it.  Would you give up the goods about your work environment if you knew it was going to be attached to you?  Of course not.  Guys like Mort and Schefter have built lucrative careers on cultivating insider info which generally ends up being generally true.  

14 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How does this take away their leverage?  If anything since they aren't looking to draft a QB they are now an ideal spot for teams behind them that are looking to draft a QB to call the Eagles and maybe bid with other teams over that #6 spot. 

If the Eagles are blatantly *not* taking a QB, then all the negotiations would be for the team that holds the #7 pick, not the Eagles' #6. Lurie apparently doesn't play poker.

8 hours ago, Big___Al said:

If the Eagles are blatantly *not* taking a QB, then all the negotiations would be for the team that holds the #7 pick, not the Eagles' #6. Lurie apparently doesn't play poker.

What sense does that make? Team X says oh Eagles aren't drafting a QB so I will just try to trade with the team behind the Eagles so I can get the QB I want.  Meanwhile Team Y says I want a QB and trades ahead of Team X by trading with the Eagles and getting that QB that Team X was also going for. 

Is it me or does it feel like Lurie's comments come off as publicly setting a boundary to keep Howie from further creating a circus?  

43 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Is it me or does it feel like Lurie's comments come off as publicly setting a boundary to keep Howie from further creating a circus?  

Like he wants to establish they have a plan, and that drafting Hurts wasn't a waste and they don't need to draft another QB?

Archived