Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

I think Howie got caught in the same trap that he did after the Eagles won the Super Bowl. He gave money to aging vets (Alshon contract for example) and went paper thin at certain spots that money shouldn't be spent. The RB's were a disaster in 2018, LB'ers were Gerry and Singleton at one point and they didn't really replace Jenkins at safety. With history repeating itself you would hope he learns from those mistakes. Obviously with money being tight he can't invest big dollars in certain spots, but maybe he invests through the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I'm not sure where to start here.  I'm not a Howie fan or anything, but Nick and BJ are the ones that refused to run the ball all season, not him. 

The Eagles would have won the SB last year had they played on an actual football field, rather than a rigged slip and slide slopfest that completely nullified the strongest part of their team (D-line). 

Howie did trade for Swift & signed the "big back" Penny...who wasn't utilized. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Howie did trade for Swift & signed the "big back" Penny...who wasn't utilized. 

Exactly, Penny was inactive buried at the bottom of the depth chart all season and Swift got 6 carries a game.  I certainly have issues with Howie but I don't see how that's on him. 

On 1/8/2024 at 6:17 PM, Ace Nova said:

Not me. 

Hmm. He was famous for poor clock management. And he also had a weird obsession with the bubble screen. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:56 AM, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I certainly wouldn't put it all on Howie. 

"All" is unfair but I'd put at least 75% on him, it's too much stuff to itemize the reasons, bottom line, the Eagles would do well to take the GM responsibilities from him

Howie needs to balance the distribution of money across the entire roster more than it has been of late. LB'er, Safety, and RB are positions that matter more than as an after thought. I hope he fixes that. Find good talent, and as always, make sure the coaches are in place to develop them into terrific players. There have been deficits in both areas. Between the two, I'm more concerned about player development. Outside of the O-line, there haven't been many home grown OK players turned into really good ones by this coaching staff. It's as if they don't have answers.  

• Like 1

Of all the people you could think of who could get us out of this situation as quickly as possible, Howie Roseman is pretty high up on that list 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Of all the people you could think of who could get us out of this situation as quickly as possible, Howie Roseman is pretty high up on that list 

But if Sirianni is still here Howie can't fix the mess.

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

"All" is unfair but I'd put at least 75% on him, it's too much stuff to itemize the reasons, bottom line, the Eagles would do well to take the GM responsibilities from him

I’d be totally fine with them putting him back in the accounting department and letting him handle contracts/salary cap again, and keeping him away from the draft.  But I’d put at least 50% of this failure of a season on the incompetent coaching 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I’d put at least 50% of this failure of a season on the incompetent coaching 

Story has it Howie has a lot to do with the incompetent coaching as in calling the shots on who plays and who sits, the amount of practice time,........and there's more, too much to mention all of what's being said.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 4:49 PM, EagleVA said:

Story has it Howie has a lot to do with the incompetent coaching as in calling the shots on who plays and who sits, the amount of practice time,........and there's more, too much to mention all of what's being said.

Cool story, bro.

I am on record here previously calling for Howie's head to roll, especially near the end of Andy Reid era.  Having said that, Howie made some brilliant moves that generated a Super Bowl winning roster and, similarly, a year ago.  I gladly ate crow then, and as a result, I have faith in Howie to correct this roster quickly.  He has proven that manipulating the cap while eating dead money is child's play for him (see Wentz contract), so I have no reason to doubt his ability to get out of bad deals when they don't work out such as Bradberry.  This past offseason was NOT one of Howie's better moments.  Bradberry signing was a huge mistake as well as letting CJGJ and TJ walk.  It was stupid to enter the season without a proven NFL safety and without a decent LB.  I am sure the hope was that Dean would be the answer at linebacker given he was a high draft pick at linebacker AND given the history with typically drafting LB'ers late.  Regardless, in my opinion, Howie deserves some leeway given his more recent track record of quickly correcting mistakes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VeeMak said:

I am on record here previously calling for Howie's head to roll, especially near the end of Andy Reid era.  Having said that, Howie made some brilliant moves that generated a Super Bowl winning roster and, similarly, a year ago.  I gladly ate crow then, and as a result, I have faith in Howie to correct this roster quickly.  He has proven that manipulating the cap while eating dead money is child's play for him (see Wentz contract), so I have no reason to doubt his ability to get out of bad deals when they don't work out such as Bradberry.  This past offseason was NOT one of Howie's better moments.  Bradberry signing was a huge mistake as well as letting CJGJ and TJ walk.  It was stupid to enter the season without a proven NFL safety and without a decent LB.  I am sure the hope was that Dean would be the answer at linebacker given he was a high draft pick at linebacker AND given the history with typically drafting LB'ers late.  Regardless, in my opinion, Howie deserves some leeway given his more recent track record of quickly correcting mistakes.  

Meh, I think it can’t be overlooked that Howie benefitted twice from having two QBs on cost controlled rookie deals that allowed Howie to do quick fixes, but I don’t see that being sustainable. Also, those QBs played at near MVP levels during both of those seasons. Two things Howie has never done, is build a team with a QB on the 2nd contract that can seriously compete, and he’s never consistently drafted well on defense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Meh, I think it can’t be overlooked that Howie benefitted twice from having two QBs on cost controlled rookie deals that allowed Howie to do quick fixes, but I don’t see that being sustainable. Also, those QBs played at near MVP levels during both of those seasons. Two things Howie has never done, is build a team with a QB on the 2nd contract that can seriously compete, and he’s never consistently drafted well on defense. 

And on offense he really only drafts well at OL and TE.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Howie has proven that he can put together the right pieces when he has the salary cap to work with. After he signed Wentz to a big deal and now Hurts he hasn't had that kind of flexibility. Last season he had the flexibility. He won't going forward as long as Hurts stick around and proves he can continue to be a franchise QB.

Which means Howie needs to be savvy in FA and with trades. Which has been something he typically does a good job of. Look at Swift this year and possibly Byard. But he will also need to draft well and the team develop that talent. That is something he hasn't had a good history of doing. We shall see. This year, outside of Carter falling in our laps, it was not a good draft. Last year wasn't a good draft, but the salary flexibility that he had allowed him to make a lot more moves with Hurts not being paid yet.

47 minutes ago, time2rock said:

And on offense he really only drafts well at OL and TE.  

Howie's draft strengths:

• High 1st round picks (top 12): easier to make the more obvious choice, less debate. 
  • Linemen: is part of that Stoutland's evaluation? Or do the scouts just do better with line for some reason? Or are linemen easier to scout as pro ready? 
  • Finding undrafted free agents to contribute: is that due to scouts and coaches listing who they want and Howie scoops up as much as he can?
  • Mostly, he does a good job with trading to increase the value of the picks or fleecing other teams in trades. He likes to collect draft assets but then how he uses them is another story. He traded up 2 spots for Jordan Davis, giving up 3 picks in addition (two 4ths, one 5th). Was he worth that?

I still question how much is Howie's personal evaluation and final say vs the consensus from the scouts and coaches setting the draft board. Because:

Howie's draft weaknesses: everything else. Drafting the back 7, drafting in middle rounds, drafting the back half of the 1st round, making the right selections in a draft deep at a position of need. 

Howie has also learned on the job for 12 years, shifting philosophies, trying different trends and themes.  I do give him credit for trying to learn from mistakes, but he also overcorrects. The team lacked speed so in 2020 that's all he focused on. One year he just tried taking clones of existing players (Dillard for Peters, JJAW for Alshon Jefferey). His new kick is drafting from the SEC and championship teams, but he got obsessed with that and probably went overboard on drafting GA and AL players although it's better than some prior drafts.

• Like 1

Yeah the biggest problem we have right now is we really need to come out with a starter, but our first rounder is in the 20's and Howie royally sucks ass at drafting in the 20's, like genuinely hilariously bad.

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Nelson Agholor

Andre Dillard

Jalen Reagor

Four of those didn't last until the end of their rookie deal, and Agholor was an unspectacular WR2 at very best.

• Like 3

If Howie wasn't allowed to extend players before their contract year, wasn't allowed to make mid-season trades (OK, maybe Ajayi), and was forced to draft more than just DTs, he'd be near perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah the biggest problem we have right now is we really need to come out with a starter, but our first rounder is in the 20's and Howie royally sucks ass at drafting in the 20's, like genuinely hilariously bad.

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Nelson Agholor

Andre Dillard

Jalen Reagor

Four of those didn't last until the end of their rookie deal, and Agholor was an unspectacular WR2 at very best.

Agholor was the best of those choices as he did at least contribute to a Super Bowl and was good in that game. He was also taken in 2015, the year Chip was in control, so Howie can’t be given credit or blame for Agholor. 

• Thanks 1

What time is the Howie driven Sirianni excuse fest scheduled for?

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Interesting take, the guy that assembled the team...is the guy who we are suppose to trust the most? 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 9:50 AM, VeeMak said:

No, He's  dog crap. He's incapable of putting consistent  strong seasons together.  His player evaluation sucks. Which is why  he continues to trade for useless players that don't contribute to the team. Or resigning old players that are a liability. 

His drafting also isn't very good.  

The only thing he is good at  is managing Cap space, He needs demoted. 

16 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Danny Watkins

Marcus Smith

Nelson Agholor

Andre Dillard

Jalen Reagor

Nolan Smith may soon follow. 

Howie in his press conference:

• Thoughts on roster construction compared to teams still playing in the playoffs? Howie: "we've always had our own spin on roster building." You want to be ahead of the curve, not copy others. 
• After SB Howie: knew players would be leaving and the schedule would be hard. Focused on building the offense.
• To Howie: investment on D line didn't perform. Howie: (didn't answer about D line). Preconceived notion that they don't care about linebackers. The 2 Super Bowls they won they had good linebacker play. (Notice the LBs left after the SB and this year's group sucked. Hopefully that means Howie knows he needs to upgrade LB). But then he said he believes in Nakobe Dean, Cunningham had a good year.

I suspect/hope that this is just saying the right things but he will address LB but we'll see.

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

Howie in his press conference:

• Thoughts on roster construction compared to teams still playing in the playoffs? Howie: "we've always had our own spin on roster building." You want to be ahead of the curve, not copy others. 
• After SB Howie: knew players would be leaving and the schedule would be hard. Focused on building the offense.
• To Howie: investment on D line didn't perform. Howie: (didn't answer about D line). Preconceived notion that they don't care about linebackers. The 2 Super Bowls they won they had good linebacker play. (Notice the LBs left after the SB and this year's group sucked. Hopefully that means Howie knows he needs to upgrade LB). But then he said he believes in Nakobe Dean, Cunningham had a good year.

I suspect/hope that this is just saying the right things but he will address LB but we'll see.

You know Howie, he will change his philosophy once again. He changed it every year which is probably why we are so inconsistent year to year