Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

Howie’s been masking his ineptitude for years by making great trades, and managing the cap. He still can’t draft. 

Take away AJ Brown, Swift and Slay (all trades) and all the players Howie didn’t draft (Kelce, Johnson, Cox, Graham) and this would be a horrible team. 

Look at the home grown talent in Dallas and SF and it’s not even close. We build around trades, they build around drafts. 

• Like 4

On 1/2/2024 at 7:53 AM, Ace Nova said:

We have a PRO BOWL roster on offense.  If we score as much as we should be scoring, we could allow 30 points a game on defense (still inexcusable) and still have a winning record.

Andy Reid with this exact personnel on offense would average 40 points per game.  There, I said it. 

Maybe current Andy Reid.  But when Andy was the Eagles HC we were doing just as much complaining about piss poor playcalling and clock management. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Maybe current Andy Reid.  But when Andy was the Eagles HC we were doing just as much complaining about piss poor playcalling and clock management. 

Not me. 

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Not me. 

Okay, well there was a significant percentage of the message board that justifiably didn't like Reid's playcalling either. 

• Like 2

Howie makes the Eagles coaching job undesirable. They will never hire a great head coach as long as he’s here. He’s a control freak. 

Can you imagine Belichick or Vrabel reporting to Howie? They live, eat and breathe football. Howie’s never played football in his life. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2024 at 11:39 PM, Road to Victory said:

Howie makes the Eagles coaching job undesirable. They will never hire a great head coach as long as he’s here. He’s a control freak. 

Can you imagine Belichick or Vrabel reporting to Howie? They live, eat and breathe football. Howie’s never played football in his life. 

I do think there’s a place where a good HC can coexist with Howie. This situation is slightly bigger than Howie though, because the analytics department has way more power than I believe they should. That on top of dealing with Howie (not to mention it has been said Lurie at times can be a meddlesome owner like having the team draft JJAW) could make it a very difficult situation indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I do think there’s a place where a good HC can coexist with Howie. This situation is slightly bigger than Howie though, because the analytics department has way more power than I believe they should. That on top of dealing with Howie (not to mention it has been said Lurie at times can be a meddlesome owner like having the team draft JJAW) could make it a very difficult situation indeed. 

They could get a "good” coach but they’ll never the best guy available. Guys like Bobby Slowik and Ben Johnson are going to take other jobs. The Eagles, and I think Howie even admitted it when they hired Sirianni, are looking for guys who will be part of the NEXT big coaching crop. That’s because the current big names have better options. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 1/14/2024 at 8:07 AM, Road to Victory said:

They could get a "good” coach but they’ll never the best guy available. Guys like Bobby Slowik and Ben Johnson are going to take other jobs. The Eagles, and I think Howie even admitted it when they hired Sirianni, are looking for guys who will be part of the NEXT big coaching crop. That’s because the current big names have better options. 

I’m not so sure about that. I mean I get your point but the favoured HC candidates don’t always turn out to be the best options. Doug and Sirianni certainly weren’t the favoured options but 1 won the SB and the other took us to the SB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’m not so sure about that. I mean I get your point but the favoured HC candidates don’t always turn out to be the best options. Doug and Sirianni certainly weren’t the favoured options but 1 won the SB and the other took us to the SB.

Yeah and we fired one 3 years after winning the Superbowl and if the talking heads are to be believed, we may be about to fire his successor 1 year after reaching the Superbowl while he has a career record with the Eagles of .667

That suggests an owner and GM that are getting more and more kneejerk and think it's their itchy trigger finger with coaches that's driving the success.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah and we fired one 3 years after winning the Superbowl and if the talking heads are to be believed, we may be about to fire his successor 1 year after reaching the Superbowl while he has a career record with the Eagles of .667

That suggests an owner and GM that are getting more and more kneejerk and think it's their itchy trigger finger with coaches that's driving the success.

Yeah I think there might be some of that but I also think that is symptomatic of just the modern game. It is the same in all sports these days. Results are everything and with social media and constant news feeds coaches don't get as long as they used to.

• Sad 1

On 1/14/2024 at 7:25 AM, EazyEaglez said:

The issue is whenever a coach gets into a pissing contest with Howie over decision making, it looks more and more like Howie's decision making becomes about Howie's status in the organisation rather than what's good for the team. Chip wants roster control Howie forgets how to deal, can't find a trade partner willing to give anything for Evan Mathis as an All Pro guard, yet as soon as Chip leaves, he finds a trade partner for Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso in a salary dump with no problems. Why didn't we sign a free agent guard in 2015 after releasing Herremans and Mathis? Howie said they were all overpriced, Chip leaves and he goes out and signs Brandon Brooks for pretty much the same contract that Mike Iupati got as top free agent guard in '15, he also signed Wisniewski, who'd been available as a cheap free agent in 2015 as well.

Doug wants to keep his own choice of staff, Howie and Lurie relent but saddle him with the Morninwheg / Scangarello offensive brains trust, the offense dies on it's ass and Doug is gone 3 years out from the teams only Superbowl win.

Sirianni wants Desai as DC, Howie wants Dennard Wilson, we're saddled with Patricia as defensive consultant and the defense goes from having serious issues against contenders to being flat out embarrassing against also rans.

Why did we cut Barnett leaving Sweat, Reddick and Graham as the only defensive ends with starting experience, because he was being problematic? His choices were buckle down and earn a contract somewhere for next year or act up and end up on vet minimum rotational role next year at best?  Why didn't we sign any vet DT's like last year when it was clear the line was wearing down through lack of rotation?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Why didn't we sign any vet DT's like last year when it was clear the line was wearing down through lack of rotation?

This is an interesting question. 

I think the FO knows, that at this point in the season, NOTHING will help this specific Team. They are what they are, and they are NOT a SB team, so, they didn't sign any vet DTs. Their back 7 is sooooo damm awful that signing vet DTs just won't help. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Why did we cut Barnett leaving Sweat, Reddick and Graham as the only defensive ends with starting experience, because he was being problematic? His choices were buckle down and earn a contract somewhere for next year or act up and end up on vet minimum rotational role next year at best?  Why didn't we sign any vet DT's like last year when it was clear the line was wearing down through lack of rotation?

36 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

This is an interesting question. 

I think the FO knows, that at this point in the season, NOTHING will help this specific Team. They are what they are, and they are NOT a SB team, so, they didn't sign any vet DTs. Their back 7 is sooooo damm awful that signing vet DTs just won't help. 

At DT they had invested so much with 1st round draft picks and paying Cox, and you have Milton Williams as a quality backup.  They had depth in Ojomo and Tuipulotu.  Signing Suh may have helped a little, but the injuries at DT were short-term.  

What they really needed was help at DE, Barnett was at least good in rotation.  Without stronger pass rush and help in the run from DE and LB, the DTs get double teamed (along with Reddick).

Getting a full-time starting DE to start opposite Sweat and quality starting LBs should help the D line tremendously.  I think the DTs are talented, it's just they invested so much in them.  And the back 7 is loaded with issues.

• Like 1

For all the praise and leeway, he has gotten. He has to be blamed for the draft and contract choices given this past off-season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howie hasn't taken nearly enough blame for his TOTAL DISASTER last offseason.  A ton of downgrades throughout the roster, along with bad hires and meddling with the coaching staff.

Resigning Bradberry over CJGJ

Replacing Edwards and White with complete trash at LB

No depth at DE

Forcing Patricia onto the staff and parachuting him into the DC spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just looked through the personnel in the Eagles Football Operations Department. It’s full of Ivy league, analytic guys who probably never picked up a football in their life. Aside from Conner Barwin, they're all like Howie. I’m sure he likes it that way because they’re not a threat to him. 

How can you run a football team and not know anything about football? 

• Like 4

It's not just Howie.  Howie does need to be reminded that Safeties and LBs are important, but the rest of the scouting dept needs an overhaul too.

• Like 2

Looks like I’m in the minority, I’m not putting this on Howie. I think he assembled a roster capable of much greater things. But the coaches don’t or can’t get these guys to do fundamentals like assignments or tackling on even  remotely professional level, can’t put together a gamaplan to save their lives, can’t call plays etc. - I don’t think Howie is the issue here unless he forced these buffoons on Siri

1 hour ago, DKing said:

Looks like I’m in the minority, I’m not putting this on Howie. I think he assembled a roster capable of much greater things. But the coaches don’t or can’t get these guys to do fundamentals like assignments or tackling on even  remotely professional level, can’t put together a gamaplan to save their lives, can’t call plays etc. - I don’t think Howie is the issue here unless he forced these buffoons on Siri

So signing the worst rated starting LB in football and a guy who only played in 17 games over two years to replace Edwards and White was building a roster capable of much greater things was it?

Lets look at Edwards, why did Howie treat him like a JAG? In 2021, we'd been developing him for 3 years and he'd been our starting inside Linebacker for 2, we could've signed him long term, instead we gave him a low cost one year extension and drafted Dean in 2022.  Dean spent all '22 playing special teams while Edwards set a franchise record for combined tackles in a season and was rated one of the better linebackers in the league by PFF.

If you're going to treat development players as replaceable parts, fine, but surely you keep the ones that really pan out?  As it is Howie's roster building in terms of Edwards netted us a 6th round compensatory pick for a 150 tackle a year starting middle linebacker that we developed, who can play coverage too (he had more interceptions for Chicago this year than any of our corners) and would've signed a multi year deal for cheap in 2021, does that sound like good GM business to you? Are we going to replace that level of talent like for like with pick 217?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, Road to Victory said:

Howie’s been masking his ineptitude for years by making great trades, and managing the cap. He still can’t draft. 

Take away AJ Brown, Swift and Slay (all trades) and all the players Howie didn’t draft (Kelce, Johnson, Cox, Graham) and this would be a horrible team. 

Look at the home grown talent in Dallas and SF and it’s not even close. We build around trades, they build around drafts. 

Howie literally drafted every single player you named and claim he didn’t draft.

Howie was GM from 2010-2014. Kelce was drafted in 2011, Johnson in 2013, Cox in 2012, and Graham 2010.

I know you want to create this narrative that Howie can’t draft, but stop lying and pretending that all the best players we’ve had over the last decade weren’t drafted by Howie when they absolutely were.

My biggest problem with Howie is that he wields too much power in the organization.  Good coaching candidates don't want to come here because they wouldn't get the keys to the castle. Watch and see.   

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Howie literally drafted every single player you named and claim he didn’t draft.

Howie was GM from 2010-2014. Kelce was drafted in 2011, Johnson in 2013, Cox in 2012, and Graham 2010.

I know you want to create this narrative that Howie can’t draft, but stop lying and pretending that all the best players we’ve had over the last decade weren’t drafted by Howie when they absolutely were.

Lol, Howie was GM in name only back then. Reid was still calling the shots and had final say. The fact that Howie can’t replicate that type of success in the draft should tell you all you need to know. Howie can do ok if he’s in the top 10, (Lane, Smitty, Carter), or if he’s getting O-linemen with Stoutland behind him, but he sucks at everything else. WRs not names Smitty all horrible. No DE worth a damn. Sweat is ok, not a game changer, and absolutely nothing in the back 7 on defense. 

Howie is extremely over rated, and you’re going to see what a shitshow this becomes when he tries to draft in the 20’s in each round, and tries to use free agency with limited funds not that Hurts is on his 2nd contract. 

• Like 2

I really hope the media really grills Howie the next time they see him. He needs to answer for some of his really bad choices. So many inexperienced defensive back that he overloaded the roster with that can’t play. Bringing back and in so many old defensive backs who are cooked. The debacle of going way too cheap at linebacker. Whoever was a fault for the Patricia move. Hiring Desai to begin with. Howie needs to be grilled like he’s on the hot seat even if Lurie won’t actually put him there. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, Road to Victory said:

Smitty, Goedert, Mailata, Hurts, Jurgens, Carter, Davis, Sweat, Smith, Ricks, Ringo, Ghost, Brown, Dickerson, Gainwell, Miles Sanders, TJ Edwards, Dean, Milt, Maddox, Barnett, Douglas, Seumalo, Mills. 

Some pretty good talent there. 

Howie was GM before Chip Kelly came as well. So he had part in almost everyone you named. He’s had some amazing FA pickups and fleeced some blockbuster deals.