Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

Now is the time Howie has to hit on his draft picks. He no longer has a cheap QB which gave him flexibility to sign free agents and cover up for his poor drafts.

I don’t think he can kick the can down the road anymore either. It’s really catching up to him now with all the dead cap space.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Now is the time Howie has to hit on his draft picks. 

Cue the Howie Simpsons meme 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Now is the time Howie has to hit on his draft picks. He no longer has a cheap QB which gave him flexibility to sign free agents and cover up for his poor drafts.

I don’t think he can kick the can down the road anymore either. It’s really catching up to him now with all the dead cap space.

It's that time again @EazyEaglez @Bwestbrook36

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Cue the Howie Simpsons meme 🤣

I gotchu

5vissg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mean we're laughing about it but Howie's record picking in the 20's is genuinely indefensible, a monkey on crystal meth throwing darts at a wall board of prospects photos would have a better hit rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean we're laughing about it but Howie's record picking in the 20's is genuinely indefensible, a monkey on crystal meth throwing darts at a wall board of prospects photos would have a better hit rate.

The problem is that he was zoned in on WR, in a particular round, and totally got the player wrong. The Reagor, Arcega-Whiteside picks were indefensible when Jefferson and Metcalf are sitting right there. And I don’t want to hear about Metcalf’s injuries after we drafted Landon Dickerson. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

The problem is that he was zoned in on WR, in a particular round, and totally got the player wrong. The Reagor, Arcega-Whiteside picks were indefensible when Jefferson and Metcalf are sitting right there. And I don’t want to hear about Metcalf’s injuries after we drafted Landon Dickerson. 

Let's not forget his OL pick in the 20's either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devaster said:

Let's not forget his OL pick in the 20's either.

And DL

16 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Right Jaelon Reagor over Justin Jefferson is the single most egregious failure of scouting in the last 20 years, their college resumes were not close, Jefferson was a no brainer choice which if the other 31 GM's were picking WR at that spot, they would have made without a second thought.

But it's not just Jefferson, out of 5 Eagles picks in the 20's in Howie's era, 4 had left the team before the end of their rookie contract, our best pick in the 20's was Nelson Agholor, who remains a journeyman level receiver (and was probably picked by Chip Kelly).

• Like 2

I love how people act like the answers were always obvious. Most mock drafts had WR as our biggest need and had Jefferson mocked to us at that spot. A majority of our own "EMB draft experts" hated the idea of "using a 1st round pick on a slot WR." "You don't do that," they said over and over. When the draft happened many posters obviously were hoping Lamb would fall to us since he was considered the top WR prospect by virtually every draft source. The draft itself was supposed to be loaded with WR talent with at least 10 WRs with a 1st round grade (including Reagor). After Lamb was picked and it was the Eagles turn, there were a lot of fans hoping for Reagor over Jefferson and many celebrated when it was announced. While there were a handful of posters that bought into Jefferson before the draft, none of them expected Jefferson to become the player he became in the NFL. 

If you had polled the EMB (before the draft) on which WR they wanted in that draft, the majority would have picked Lamb, followed by Ruggs and Jeudy. After that, there would have probably bean no measurable difference in Jefferson, Reagor, Aiyuk, Higgens, Shenault, Pittman, Claypool, and Mims. There was "the big 3" and everybody else. 

27 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I love how people act like the answers were always obvious. Most mock drafts had WR as our biggest need and had Jefferson mocked to us at that spot. A majority of our own "EMB draft experts" hated the idea of "using a 1st round pick on a slot WR." "You don't do that," they said over and over. When the draft happened many posters obviously were hoping Lamb would fall to us since he was considered the top WR prospect by virtually every draft source. The draft itself was supposed to be loaded with WR talent with at least 10 WRs with a 1st round grade (including Reagor). After Lamb was picked and it was the Eagles turn, there were a lot of fans hoping for Reagor over Jefferson and many celebrated when it was announced. While there were a handful of posters that bought into Jefferson before the draft, none of them expected Jefferson to become the player he became in the NFL. 

If you had polled the EMB (before the draft) on which WR they wanted in that draft, the majority would have picked Lamb, followed by Ruggs and Jeudy. After that, there would have probably bean no measurable difference in Jefferson, Reagor, Aiyuk, Higgens, Shenault, Pittman, Claypool, and Mims. There was "the big 3" and everybody else. 

If you can find one of my posts where I said I would happily take Reagor in the first round you can have my account. Jefferson's college numbers were leaps and bounds better than Reagor's at a higher level of competition. Reagor making the top five of WR prospects was an anomaly in like one ranking, if you were doing a combined position ranking from all the major draft boards his ranking would have been WR 7 or 8 at best, his scouting report said his production suffered because of inconsistent QB play, but it was pretty clear the real reason was that his second year was an outlier.

There wasn't a person on the board that thought Lamb would reach us, most people thought he'd go second, Ruggs was a bit of a surprise as WR1 most thought Lamb or Jeudy would be off the board first, but Lamb was always going before we picked. Jefferson was the popular choice where we were picking. The amount of thinking time the Vikings needed to put their pick in was a better indicator of what the consensus about Jefferson was rather than 'What Brkmsn remembers from the board at the time'.

I absolutely would've taken Jefferson or Higgins way ahead of Reagor and said so at the time, but the sad truth is we'd have got more production out of any of the names you mention outside Denzel Mims.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If you can find one of my posts where I said I would happily take Reagor in the first round you can have my account. Jefferson's college numbers were leaps and bounds better than Reagor's at a higher level of competition. Reagor making the top five of WR prospects was an anomaly in like one ranking, if you were doing a combined position ranking from all the major draft boards his ranking would have been WR 7 or 8 at best, his scouting report said his production suffered because of inconsistent QB play, but it was pretty clear the real reason was that his second year was an outlier.

There wasn't a person on the board that thought Lamb would reach us, most people thought he'd go second, Ruggs was a bit of a surprise as WR1 most thought Lamb or Jeudy would be off the board first, but Lamb was always going before we picked. Jefferson was the popular choice where we were picking. The amount of thinking time the Vikings needed to put their pick in was a better indicator of what the consensus about Jefferson was rather than 'What Brkmsn remembers from the board at the time'.

I absolutely would've taken Jefferson or Higgins way ahead of Reagor and said so at the time, but the sad truth is we'd have got more production out of any of the names you mention outside Denzel Mims.

There's more to that Reagor pick than just passing on Jefferson. To be fair, some people here said Jefferson was just a slot receiver and they needed a speedy deep threat. Some defended the Reagor pick, but it seemed that most fans wanted other WRs in that draft (Higgins, Claypool, Mims were names people wanted as well. Juedy, Ruggs and Lamb people liked but of course they'd be gone by 20. Aiyuk was there as well).

But it's not just passing on Jefferson. A lot of fans wanted them to focus on defense and Patrick Queen at LB was available. It's also the fact that Howie decided to just draft speed as a theme that year. He also used 4 draft picks on the WR position that year: Reagor, Hightower, Watkins and traded a pick for the 49ers Marquise Goodwin, who ended up not playing and the trade was reversed or however that worked to return the pick. 

Oddly, taking Hurts in the 2nd while a shock then turned out to be the saving pick in that draft. Otherwise it was awful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I’ll be honest, my 1st choice was trading up for CD Lamb. I even posted about it. My second choice would’ve been Jefferson. Reagor was kind of meh. 

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I meant that as the draft progressed, people were hoping Lamb would keep falling or that the Eagles might trade up to get him after he fell. I'm not saying anybody originally expected Lamb to be available. I am saying that very few people here wanted Jefferson at our spot. Unfortunately, that was the point where the new EMB had opened and the old EMB was still available, so most of the pre-draft discussion about Jefferson was on the old EMB. The reason I remember a lot about that discussion was because I was one of the few advocating for drafting Jefferson. There weren't many people on my side. I remember time2rock was originally on the fence, but as the draft neared, he seemed to be in Jefferson's corner if the pick was WR. There were a couple others, but most claimed Jefferson was just a "slot WR" and that it was idiotic to draft a slot in round 1. 

• 2 months later...

Glad he stuck to the board, didn't reach and let the draft come to him. He made some good trades (maybe traded back a bit too much?) but I like collecting future picks in higher rounds in the middle of this draft which apparently was weak.

I've been wanting them to draft secondary high for a long time, so glad to see a 1st round corner taken. We'll see how all the picks work out, but the last 3-4 drafts Howie has improved his strategy. 

• Like 2

I just logged back in, traveled for most of the day and missed the action.

Howie made a flurry of trades today. I can't even follow them all.

Apparently, we don't need actual players.

We can just diddle with trading down all day.

Is there a player you like on the board?

Forget it, we would rather have a lesser talent.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Glad he stuck to the board, didn't reach and let the draft come to him. He made some good trades (maybe traded back a bit too much?) but I like collecting future picks in higher rounds in the middle of this draft which apparently was weak.

I've been wanting them to draft secondary high for a long time, so glad to see a 1st round corner taken. We'll see how all the picks work out, but the last 3-4 drafts Howie has improved his strategy. 

Hunt was a reach. 

2 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Hunt was a reach. 

Maybe, but Fangio REALLY wanted him so for now I'm ok with it, especially given the first two picks.

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Hunt was a reach. 

Daniel Jeremiah had him at #64 for what it's worth.

30 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Daniel Jeremiah had him at #64 for what it's worth.

I respect Jeremiah’s opinion but even according to Howie he’s a total project. I think it’s too early to draft a project in the 3rd round. Reminds me of the Davion Taylor pick. 

I like the draft as much as anyone, but great GM work gets appreciated during the season, especially in February, not April.

People were saying the same stuff about Howie last April and then the team cratered.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

The other good thing about the 2025 picks added is that we will get zero Comp Picks next year.