Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

13 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie loves to take credit for success but he need to take responsibility for this mess. 

He hired Siri and I’m sure he had a say in the coaching staff. He resigned Bradberry and signed guys like Morrow and let CJGJ and Edwards walk. 

CJGJ left because he was being petulant, they offered him more than what the Lions did and he decided to go. He has also been injured all year and a non factor for the Lions

Edwards took a home town discount to go play in Chicago, that's another guy they never would have had the opportunity to re-sign

4 hours ago, Mat said:

CJGJ left because he was being petulant, they offered him more than what the Lions did and he decided to go. He has also been injured all year and a non factor for the Lions

Edwards took a home town discount to go play in Chicago, that's another guy they never would have had the opportunity to re-sign

I know why they left but that’s Howie’s job to get them to stay. He could’ve offered better contracts to both and instead gave money to Bradberry. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I know why they left but that’s Howie’s job to get them to stay. He could’ve offered better contracts to both and instead gave money to Bradberry. 

He went to CJ and offered him MORE than what the Lions gave him, it's only after he rejected the deal they went to sign Bradberry and bring Slay back.

Edwards was always going to the Bears, again it didn't matter what they offered him because he was never going to sign in Philly. 

They're both bad examples because they weren't coming back regardless, you can't force players to stay here 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mat said:

He went to CJ and offered him MORE than what the Lions gave him, it's only after he rejected the deal they went to sign Bradberry and bring Slay back.

Edwards was always going to the Bears, again it didn't matter what they offered him because he was never going to sign in Philly. 

They're both bad examples because they weren't coming back regardless, you can't force players to stay here 

He shouldn’t have let them get to free agency. 

5 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Dude, they were never coming back. But sure, let's keep pretending like this was an option for both

Howie never should have paid Hurts after one good year. He didn't learn crap from Wentz.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Is he even playing? I haven't been following Detroit but didn't see him on the field vs Dallas

6 minutes ago, judunno said:

Is he even playing? I haven't been following Detroit but didn't see him on the field vs Dallas

He’s been hurt all year. 

• Like 1

This year was the Howie principle taken to the ultimate test: can u have an NFL caliber defense without NFL caliber linebackers? Well we are seeing the results now.

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but I feel like a big reason why they hired Johnson and Desai is because Howie Roseman assumed one or both would get poached this year and he would get a 3rd round compensation pick because they are minority hires. 

He's been trading 3rd and 4th round picks like crazy and you have to assume he was factoring in getting back at least one 3rd round pick back. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mat said:

Truth be told, I wasn't impressed with Edwards at all, sure, he may have had a good number of tackles but they were mostly 5+ yards beyond the LOS, and he couldn't cover worth a damn just like the group we have now.

13 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

He's been trading 3rd and 4th round picks like crazy

Right, the dumb sheet doesn't value draft picks, it's hard to believe that foolishness, but fools to foolish things

One day the fool is gonna wake up and understand the picks he trades away are the future of the team, not overpriced FA's past their prime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mat said:

How about Hargrave? Went to SF and was an immediate upgrade on an already very talented defense. I'm not blaming Howie, btw. 

8 minutes ago, JohnB said:

How about Hargrave? Went to SF and was an immediate upgrade on an already very talented defense. I'm not blaming Howie, btw. 

Well you can’t plan to pay all of your vets.  Having just drafted Davis and Williams paying Hargrave was just a luxury they couldn’t afford (especially considering the mega contract to Hurts and in the not so distant future needing to pay Smitty).  And maybe they also felt pretty good about their chances to land Carter.  I’m not defending Howie against criticism - he didn’t exactly have a good year (more misses than hits), but Hargrave is not a move I’d hold against him.  

52 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but I feel like a big reason why they hired Johnson and Desai is because Howie Roseman assumed one or both would get poached this year and he would get a 3rd round compensation pick because they are minority hires. 

He's been trading 3rd and 4th round picks like crazy and you have to assume he was factoring in getting back at least one 3rd round pick back. 

I think it was no doubt part of the thinking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well you can’t plan to pay all of your vets.  Having just drafted Davis and Williams paying Hargrave was just a luxury they couldn’t afford (especially considering the mega contract to Hurts and in the not so distant future needing to pay Smitty).  And maybe they also felt pretty good about their chances to land Carter.  I’m not defending Howie against criticism - he didn’t exactly have a good year (more misses than hits), but Hargrave is not a move I’d hold against him.  

I thought everyone was raving about our draft. We got all those Bulldogs, or Alabama, or wherever the hell they're all from. How can they be expected to be All-Pro's right out of the gate? 

• Thanks 1

There are 31 owners who would smother their own mother to death with a pillow to have Howie in their Front Office. 

Yes, this situation sucks. But Howie built the team that won the Super Bowl. He built the team that almost won it. 

Did we navigate some tricky cap issues this offseason? Yes. Did he put too much trust in Dean and Bradberry? Sure. 

But to be calling for his head? STFU.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, opa-opa said:

This year was the Howie principle taken to the ultimate test: can u have an NFL caliber defense without NFL caliber linebackers? Well we are seeing the results now.

We went to 2 super bowls with that philosophy. NFL offenses are just now catching up to the gameplan to beat that philosophy. On defense Howie think's spending all of your cap and draft capital on defensive line/ pass rush and filling in the rest is the perfect recipe. To counter that, gameplans against us have been get the ball out quick, zone run blocking and make the second level players make plays. When that second level is all rookies, undrafted/special team players and older guys we're seeing the results. If the pass rush doesn't get home, this defense is finished.

It's a domino effect of failure. This team is built to score alot of points mostly passing the football. Score as many points as you can, let the other team have to pass and let our pass rush wreck havoc. We are witnessing a failure on all accounts. Struggling to put up points, trying to outsmart the defense with weird playcalling, defensively the pass rush has disappeared, secondary has 2 corners that are getting older and 2 rookies that are either trying to press until the pass rush gets home which is not happening, or playing zone with opposing quarterbacks having all day to find the open receiver. It's just a plain disaster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Erie said:

There are 31 owners who would smother their own mother to death with a pillow to have Howie in their Front Office. 

Yes, this situation sucks. But Howie built the team that won the Super Bowl. He built the team that almost won it. 

Did we navigate some tricky cap issues this offseason? Yes. Did he put too much trust in Dean and Bradberry? Sure. 

But to be calling for his head? STFU.

If you are a true fan, you have to agree with this to some point. There is to much talent on this team to be this bad.  Something has to give here at some point. I believe the biggest concern right now should be to find 2 experienced coordinators next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erie said:

I'll say this, Lurie isn't the only football ignorant owner, there are others, but if I were an owner I'd never consider that arrogant arsehole.

4 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I was wondering the same - that strategy bailed the 49ers draft capital out. 

2 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

If you are a true fan, you have to agree with this to some point. There is to much talent on this team to be this bad.  Something has to give here at some point. I believe the biggest concern right now should be to find 2 experienced coordinators next season.

I don't know, man. I would argue that we were too bad to be 10-1 or whatever we started at. We won a lot of games we should have lost

Stupid that it's come to this but not surprising. The only thing Howie deserves blame for is the LB position. Everything else is coaching and/or players not performing. They have MORE THAN ENOUGH talent to beat teams like Seattle and certainly a putrid team like Arizona so for the most part the issue isn't the roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Stupid that it's come to this but not surprising. The only thing Howie deserves blame for is the LB position. Everything else is coaching and/or players not performing. They have MORE THAN ENOUGH talent to beat teams like Seattle and certainly a putrid team like Arizona so for the most part the issue isn't the roster.

He brought back JB. He went Smith over JP Jr. He gave up picks for a washed up safety. He gave Hurts the huge deal after one good year. As you said he is responsible for the LB. I don't want him gone but at the same time he deserves criticism and he gets a lot of free passes. 

I don't expect him to be perfect but at the same time he makes a lot of mistakes. He does good things like Swift and Carter fell in his lap. Brown was a good trade. He built a trash defense though and I can't think of any other ways he improved the roster.

My biggest issue is he saw the Chiefs destroy the D passing and he brought back JB anyway and didn't improve anywhere in the back 7 and in fact watched them get worse. The only guy who balled out is with the Lions.

So what did he expect would happen?

59 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I don't want him gone but at the same time he deserves criticism and he gets a lot of free passes. 

I mean over the years he’s definitely not gotten a lot of free passes though. He’s much much maligned by this fan base.

There are very obvious flaws with this roster no doubt but he’s also managed to construct a very talented roster especially on offense. And like bringing back Bradberry I think we all liked that move at the time. We couldn’t quite believe he’d managed to bring back both Bradberry and Slay. Nobody knew he was going to fall off a cliff quite like he has.