EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes.  Teams that draft at the top of the draft often an find a player that can put up stats... that doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of the team.   

Calvin Johnson was a thorn in the side of a lot of teams... and the Lions won 0 playoff games during his career.   So... what did it matter in the end?

Wasn't Lamb picked 18th?  Just saying he is a good player.  But like most I'm all for the Cowboys trading up for Pitts and ignoring their offensive line and their defense

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I would argue DAL is already in a position where they need to totally rebuild that defense — again.  Would you pay money to extend LVE when he’s chronically injured?  DeMarcus Lawrence is a $25M cap hit this season and $27M next season — to get 5 or 6 sacks.  Jaylon Smith has underperformed his extension and they might want out of his contract PDQ.

Them drafting anything on offense other than OL would be malpractice 

It would be pure deliciousness in my opinion

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Crushing it 

Why would fans want to pay for an indoor practice facility for a million dollar business operation? They seem as bright as the ownership. 

3 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Wasn't Lamb picked 18th?  Just saying he is a good player.  But like most I'm all for the Cowboys trading up for Pitts and ignoring their offensive line and their defense

He is a good player.  He was drafted 17th.  But the point is, who cares?  It didn't get them more wins, a playoff berth or anything else relevant.  

They don't matter.

If Afan were a Cowboys fan, he'd tell you that Lamb was a great pick because he's a good starting WR (and getting better) and had outstanding numbers for a rookie.  His production already outpaces the expectation for that pick.

If I were a Cowboys fan, I'd tell you Lamb was a wasted pick because he didn't add any new dynamic to an offense already flush with middle of the field receiving talent...hollow numbers that could have been generated by what they already have, while using that high pick on someone that brought a different dimension to the offense or patched a hole on defense.

Lamb was a good pick. Cooper won't be there for much longer and has serious durability issues. WR was a sneaky need for them long term.

48 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Believe it or not, I actually feel a bit better about the FO and the Hurts situation.  

My biggest concern was that they venture too far down the wrong path with a QB who isn't even a very good passer, transitioning to a running QB offense, which is a predictable, ill-fated gimmick.

1. They initially tried to mend fences and keep Wentz.

2. They kicked the tires on Russell Wilson.

3. They kicked the tires on Desaun Watson.

4. They kicked the tires on trading up for Zach Wilson.

5. Howie and Siri could not have sounded less committed to Hurts in their press conference.

Based on the writing on the wall, I'm pretty sure the FO doesn't like Hurts any more than we do.  (beats the hell out of all of us why they drafted him).   So under those circumstances, sure, hand him the keys for 2021, see how he does, and expect to be on the lookout for a real QB (which they are already doing).  If he surprises, great, but let it be a pleasant surprise.

well i like hurts , why can't he have the chance to prove himself while the team reloads and gets the cap under control ?

19 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

If Afan were a Cowboys fan, he'd tell you that Lamb was a great pick because he's a good starting WR (and getting better) and had outstanding numbers for a rookie.  His production already outpaces the expectation for that pick.

If I were a Cowboys fan, I'd tell you Lamb was a wasted pick because he didn't add any new dynamic to an offense already flush with middle of the field receiving talent...hollow numbers that could have been generated by what they already have, while using that high pick on someone that brought a different dimension to the offense or patched a hole on defense.

Huh? Gallup is a perimeter receiver, Cooper can do damage all over the field and their TEs are serviceable. 

I get the argument to help the defense, but he absolutely adds a different element to that offense. 

I really, really wish we could have traded up for CeeDee Lamb. Of course, Atlanta refusing to trade down because Dimitroff is like Gettleman, which F****d us. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

I really, really wish we could have traded up for CeeDee Lamb. Of course, Atlanta refusing to trade down because Dimitroff is like Gettleman F****d us. 

Lamb, Jeudy and Jefferson were my only 1st round WRs last year. Lamb was my top guy as well. Rumor was Falcons would have traded back but the asking price was too high(2nd rounder which in turn was Hurts). 

In the end even if they didnt think Jefferson was the guy, there were better players on the board in different positions they could have taken as well. I just hope they dont make the same mistake this year with Waddle. Not high on him at all. 

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Lamb, Jeudy and Jefferson were my only 1st round WRs last year. Lamb was my top guy as well. Rumor was Falcons would have traded back but the asking price was too high(2nd rounder which in turn was Hurts). 

To go from 21 to 16 should have cost a 3, not a 2. Atlanta wanted way too much. 

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

To go from 21 to 16 should have cost a 3, not a 2. Atlanta wanted way too much. 

"Should" is the key word. But its not what they wanted to make it worth it to them. They held all the cards, we had a choice to take it or leave it. We left it and took Reagor and Hurts. Me personally, Id rather still have Wentz with Lamb then have Hurts and Reagor. Just my view though. 

Except we have Hurts, an extra third this year and a possible 1st next year.

If Wentz is just a 10-15th QB, not the potential top 5 he was in 2017, we're better off since we're rebuilding.

I'm starting to think mobile QBs are more like RBs, most really fall in value after their first serious injury.

15 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

"Should" is the key word. But its not what they wanted to make it worth it to them. They held all the cards, we had a choice to take it or leave it. We left it and took Reagor and Hurts. Me personally, Id rather still have Wentz with Lamb then have Hurts and Reagor. Just my view though. 

Why? Wentz is horrible, you don't know what you have I'm Jurts or Reagor.

I can't judge talent with such bad QB play. I don't know how anyone else could.

OK, I'm not defending Dallas here, I'm just asking a question because it could apply to any team in the NFL.

Everyone is saying that if Dallas (or insert any team that needs defensive help) were to select Pitts in the 1st round that it means they are completely ignoring their needs on D.  Aren't there 6 other rounds to fill those defensive needs?

What if Dallas ( or any team that needs defensive help) drafts Kyle Pitts and then in round 2 they get a guy like Jabril Cox, or Eric Stokes and in round 3 Payton Taylor.  Wouldn't that be a great haul for whatever that team is?  You get a generational talent in round 1 and then fill your defensive needs with the rest of your draft.  

I think if you have a generational talent within reach and you get can him then you go ahead and get him.  I hate the Cowboys.  I don't want them getting the best player in the draft period.  

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

OK, I'm not defending Dallas here, I'm just asking a question because it could apply to any team in the NFL.

Everyone is saying that if Dallas (or insert any team that needs defensive help) were to select Pitts in the 1st round that it means they are completely ignoring their needs on D.  Aren't there 6 other rounds to fill those defensive needs?

What if Dallas ( or any team that needs defensive help) drafts Kyle Pitts and then in round 2 they get a guy like Jabril Cox, or Eric Stokes and in round 3 Payton Taylor.  Wouldn't that be a great haul for whatever that team is?  You get a generational talent in round 1 and then fill your defensive needs with the rest of your draft.  

I think if you have a generational talent within reach and you get can him then you go ahead and get him.  I hate the Cowboys.  I don't want them getting the best player in the draft period.  

Yup*. That really should go for all teams.**

*Unless it’s a running back. 

**If the trade terms are reasonable

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Nah.  I am saying, "Stop worrying about Dallas so much."   What they do doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah.  I am saying, "Stop worrying about Dallas so much."   What they do doesn't matter.

It's not that I'm worried about what Dallas does, it's that they are doing what I wish the Eagles would do.  When elite talent, which the Eagles have NONE of, is within reach you get him.  You don't trade down because you THINK he might not be there.  Guess what, there's a damn good chance Chase AND Pitts are sitting there at 6.  

I've said it time and time again.  I hate, absolutely hate when Dallas takes players I love watching play football.  I loved Jaylon Smith at Notre Dame, CeeDee Lamb at OU and Kyle Pitts at UF. 

Dallas getting players I like while Howie drafts complete garbage is like the kid you hate in high school's dad buying him a fancy car and then a nice stereo and then a set of wheels for it while your dad gives you the keys to a station wagon and an old tape deck and Pep Boys hubcaps.

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Dallas will have to move up and it will cost them picks.  Could have to move up to 4 to ensure getting Pitts.  I think the price only rises as the draft gets closer.

Just now, bpac55 said:

It's not that I'm worried about what Dallas does, it's that they are doing what I wish the Eagles would do.  When elite talent, which the Eagles have NONE of, is within reach you get him.  You don't trade down because you THINK he might not be there.  Guess what, there's a damn good chance Chase AND Pitts are sitting there at 6.  

I've said it time and time again.  I hate, absolutely hate when Dallas takes players I love watching play football.  I loved Jaylon Smith at Notre Dame, CeeDee Lamb at OU and Kyle Pitts at UF. 

Dallas getting players I like while Howie drafts complete garbage is like the kid you hate in high school's dad buying him a fancy car and then a nice stereo and then a set of wheels for it while your dad gives you the keys to a station wagon and an old tape deck and Pep Boys hubcaps.

Howie sucks. That's been well established.

Just now, Freshmilk said:

Dallas will have to move up and it will cost them picks.  Could have to move up to 4 to ensure getting Pitts.  I think the price only rises as the draft gets closer.

There's also a chance that Atlanta trades out for a QB needy team and then there's a run on the top tackles.

The funny thing about looking back at that potential trade up for Lamb is that people can point to Reagor/Hurts and say they’d rather have Lamb, but what if Howie stuck to the board and chose Chinn instead?

I’d rather have the Reagor/Chinn side, tbh.

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The funny thing about looking back at that potential trade up for Lamb is that people can point to Reagor/Hurts and say they’d rather have Lamb, but what if Howie stuck to the board and chose Chinn instead?

I’d rather have the Reagor/Chinn side, tbh.

I would love to have Chinn on this team.  I think Reagor will be OK.  Jefferson might be a stud, but I think Reagor if used right can be a weapon.  

Archived