EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So, coaching isn't a crapshoot then? 

But, if merely making the playoffs is the goal, I think more than I think you'd be willing to admit match up favorably to Lurie.   Are we talking just getting 4 in a row that made the playoffs, or 4 different coaches in 25 years?  

GB
Pittsburgh
Balitmore
NE (only 1, but outlasted all 4 here),
Colts - 8 out of the last 9, including the last 7 in a row.
Cowboys (8 out of their 9 all-time coaches made the playoffs, including 5 of the last 6...including last 3 before McCarthy, and its too soon to judge him),
Bears could have a case made - 6 in a row, though there has been a draught since 2013, broken by Nagy.
Texans would count too.  Last 2 head coaches have made the playoffs.  Only HC for a full season not to make the Playoffs was Dom Capers in their first 4 years in the league.
Panthers 3 out of 4, not counting Matt Rhule, too soon to count him.
NY Jets had a string of 4 straight HCs that they selected make the playoffs from Parcells to Rex Ryan, but it was broken when Bill Belichek pulled a Josh McDaniels.  That HC for that one year (Al Groh) missed the playoffs and was replaced by Herm Edwards, who did make the playoffs.

Should I keep going? 

Quite a few teams manage to hire coaches to get them to the playoffs within their tenure.  That alone is not the goal, is it?   I thought the goal was really to get to the Super Bowl and be a legit contender every year... 'Gold standard' and all that.   Only 2 of Lurie's hires can then count.  So, roughly 50% on hires.  Andy and Doug.  These teams under Rhodes never was a legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl.  Same with Chip.   

If you're gonna make getting to the SB the criteria, most coaches fall short. So 2 of 4 is pretty darn good.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Brandon Staley's interview is not going well so far. Who's next on the list? 

You can’t deny that Donald being hurt hasn’t been a major factor in how Rams defense is performing today though.

41 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

OK Howie/Jeff, whichever one of you this is then you put him on IR.  It's another example of failed roster management and a waste of a draft pick.  Might as well not draft in the 6th and 7th then with Prince and Toohill gone.  

No because that's where they found Mailata... the closest thing this group has to having drafted a Pro Bowler since the 2016 draft... and that guy might just be an 'asset' now.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

If you're gonna make getting to the SB the criteria, most coaches fall short. So 2 of 4 is pretty darn good.

I'm not making getting to the SB the criteria.  I am making Jeff live up to his own words.   If you are going to claim 'Gold standard' status, then that's the standard by which he needs to be measured.   But, I wasn't saying that Jeff has done a poor job finding HCs... I was questioning your statement that the HC search is a crapshoot.   You are the one contradicting yourself in terms of saying that Lurie is good at finding HCs, if the process is just a crapshoot.   So, is it a crap shoot (aka, blind luck), or is it an analytical process?    Please be consistent.   Pick one.

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

the fact you brought up the statement everyone knew he’d take heat and it didn’t matter whatsoever as we also knew he didnt care if he got heat for is pretty alarming....  the words Duh come to mind. dynamite drop in though that he’d take heat. Like that was some earth shattering news. Please tell Adam schefter so he knows.

Got to make sure we have the obvious out there you know he’s going to take heat like Jeffrey lurie Fing gives a crap

WRONG......troglodyte. Nothing better than someone hurling out massive insults thinking they've got someone when they have zero clue what they are talking about. Go back and try for the third time to follow the context of the conversation and maybe you will finally get it you Fing dope. I wasn't the one bringing it up, just agreeing with someone else.

Another playoff game where top corners and a top defense are the key to winning.  CB sure is our biggest need and the main reason we aren’t at this level.

3 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

I would like McDaniels. He's a really good offensive mind and he's adaptable. People hate him for the Indy thing he pulled and it's understandable, but he can scheme offense really well and he built a great staff in Indy before he bailed. Mayo would likley come with him.

He did draft Tebow in the first round. I guess him and Howie will be a great pair picking for the team........Not

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Another playoff game where top corners and a top defense are the key to winning.  CB sure is our biggest need and the main reason we aren’t at this level.

Sarcasm aside, the Packers RUNNING game is why they're winning.

Guess we should invest in RBs...

One way to read the McLane article is someone not allowing Carson to get his excuses in early with the new HC. Oh, it was Doug. Oh, it was Press. Etc. As a holdover, he is being asked to own it as much as the coaching staff are.

Thinking laterally, some of the story was sourced from someone senior in the FO who perhaps used a reporter that is very critical of them, for deniability.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  That’s not it at all.  :wacko:

THE O-LINE

An OL with Mailata/Brooks/Johnson will run-block just fine

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I disagree, Chiefs don’t have that and look how dominant they are, same with Bills. How many times did Eagles defense keep them in games this year but the offense’s poor play result in a loss?

Packers offense is moving at ease against a Rams defense that features two of best defensive players in the league. Though Donald is hurt. 
It’s a mix of everything why Eagles are not on that level, not mainly because of defense. 

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'm not making getting to the SB the criteria.  I am making Jeff live up to his own words.   If you are going to claim 'Gold standard' status, then that's the standard by which he needs to be measured.   But, I wasn't saying that Jeff has done a poor job finding HCs... I was questioning your statement that the HC search is a crapshoot.   You are the one contradicting yourself in terms of saying that Lurie is good at finding HCs, if the process is just a crapshoot.   So, is it a crap shoot (aka, blind luck), or is it an analytical process?    Please be consistent.   Pick one.

Both are consistent. Drafting is a crapshoot, doesn't mean you can't improve the odds, but even the best teams whiff on a substantial portion of picks in the top 100, and a lot more on the third day.

Same with hiring HCs, probably well over half are failures, because the half dozen franchises that consistently win do so because they won the coaching lottery and keep that HC around as long as possible - as we did with AR.

Even with an all time great like Rodgers, they still run the ball.  Main reason why I'm happy Doug is done.

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I dunno, I agree that CB is a huge need perhaps top.  What I'm seeing though are Packers WR making moves making the Rams CB look silly and WR stepping up for the Rams as well, including rookie Van Jefferson.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

WRONG......troglodyte. Nothing better than someone hurling out massive insults thinking they've got someone when they have zero clue what they are talking about. Go back and try for the third time to follow the context of the conversation and maybe you will finally get it you Fing dope. I wasn't the one bringing it up, just agreeing with someone else.

Cool.... did you let Adam schefter know about him taking heat if he does it?

I don’t care what the previous convo was. you didn’t tag that person or quote them or differentiate which convo (the multiple going on) in the blog. i responded to a 1 sentence response with no additional quote.. So there’s that. 

7DDA3284-6042-45B7-915E-C7E8706D0DE7.jpeg
Love you taking about insults. That’s rich

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We don’t need to be worrying about drafting running backs early.  Johnson and Brooks are both over or will be over 30 by the time they play another game and they both have been injury prone.   The madness in here about WR and RB is alarming.   :wacko:

I’m all for taking OL early but Sewell won’t be there at 6, and there’s not a Quenton Nelson type guard worth taking there either. I’m fine with CB at 6, I honestly prefer it. But supposedly Chase made Surtain look silly when they played each other. I haven’t seen the tape it’s just what I’ve heard fwiw here. And Farley has an injury history. We already know how dominant Chase/Smith has been in CFB, and Eagles WR have been the exact opposite. 

This team just needs young talent to build on. 

1 minute ago, BwianWestbwook said:

Hook and ladder! When does our trickery work that well? (Except that one time)

That was such a fun play 

30 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

You can’t deny that Donald being hurt hasn’t been a major factor in how Rams defense is performing today though.

Well thats what its leading to though. That defense is really good cause of the players they have, esp Donald and Ramsey. 

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Well thats what its leading to though. That defense is really good cause of the players they have, esp Donald and Ramsey. 

It’s first time I’ve ever seen Donald look like a JAG in a game. 

12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I dunno, I agree that CB is a huge need perhaps top.  What I'm seeing though are Packers WR making moves making the Rams CB look silly and WR stepping up for the Rams as well, including rookie Van Jefferson.

17 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I disagree, Chiefs don’t have that and look how dominant they are, same with Bills. How many times did Eagles defense keep them in games this year but the offense’s poor play result in a loss?

Packers offense is moving at ease against a Rams defense that features two of best defensive players in the league. Though Donald is hurt. 
It’s a mix of everything why Eagles are not on that level, not mainly because of defense. 

I was joking, sorry, my wine induced sarcasm is probably not well clarified.

Archived