Coaches not returning: Manuel, Fipp, Staley, Taylor, Scangarello, Mornhinweg, Flajole

time2rock

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean can you imagine? What the F would possess them to do that? Not only to keep Press around but to then promote him to OC? 

And all because he found the Philly Special Play from a couple of years prior that had been called by other teams prior to that.  They think he is a genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean can you imagine? What the F would possess them to do that? Not only to keep Press around but to then promote him to OC? 

I’ll be legitimately pissed if that happens!  It’ll be worse than Groh getting promoted to OC.

Under Taylor’s coaching Wentz regressed majorly, and with Taylor a part of the offensive coaching brain trust the offense was the worst it has been under Doug.  

I don't know what "OC" even means on the Eagles anyway. But since we will be bringing someone in with that title, give me Josh McCown. That move could help the Wentz situation and even if we decide to move on from Wentz, would be great for Hurts' development. I feel McCown is the kind of personality that can thrive coaching under Pederson and I respect his knowledge and heart.  

Have to see who it is.  If it is a legit guy, then it might work.  But like last year people are going to be wary because Doug is on thin ice.  Pretty surprised he kept his job.  Probably has one year to put up or shut up.

16 minutes ago, Miami said:

Have to see who it is.  If it is a legit guy, then it might work.  But like last year people are going to be wary because Doug is on thin ice.  Pretty surprised he kept his job.  Probably has one year to put up or shut up.

incentive

48 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't know what "OC" even means on the Eagles anyway. But since we will be bringing someone in with that title, give me Josh McCown. That move could help the Wentz situation and even if we decide to move on from Wentz, would be great for Hurts' development. I feel McCown is the kind of personality that can thrive coaching under Pederson and I respect his knowledge and heart.  

We heard so many reports last year of McCown having coaching ability.  he was credited with practice squad WRs being so well prepared because on the scout team he would work with them.  There were articles about him being a future coach.  They had him as the reserve/remote emergency QB this year.  It would be great to get him on staff.  We'll see how things go but perhaps the QB coach if Taylor is no longer here or moves to OC or something.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

We heard so many reports last year of McCown having coaching ability.  he was credited with practice squad WRs being so well prepared because on the scout team he would work with them.  There were articles about him being a future coach.  They had him as the reserve/remote emergency QB this year.  It would be great to get him on staff.  We'll see how things go but perhaps the QB coach if Taylor is no longer here or moves to OC or something.  

this, i like

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I really hated how our "arrangement" this year with him kept him from being on our sideline where he could have really helped Wentz (and other players) out during games. I see him as the perfect guy to bring in as OC in our situation. It gives us once again, that experienced QB dynamic we had with Reich as OC. A lot of us wonder how well Doug can coexist with experienced, established coaches like Caldwell and if they would even be willing to come here knowing Doug wants to call plays. A guy like McCown probably wouldn't come in with a big ego and he's pretty respected for his knowledge already around the NFL. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I really hated how our "arrangement" this year with him kept him from being on our sideline where he could have really helped Wentz (and other players) out during games. I see him as the perfect guy to bring in as OC in our situation. It gives us once again, that experienced QB dynamic we had with Reich as OC. A lot of us wonder how well Doug can coexist with experienced, established coaches like Caldwell and if they would even be willing to come here knowing Doug wants to call plays. A guy like McCown probably wouldn't come in with a big ego and he's pretty respected for his knowledge already around the NFL. 

Agree. With the unusual offseason having McCown help the young players would have helped. 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I’ll be legitimately pissed if that happens!  It’ll be worse than Groh getting promoted to OC.

Under Taylor’s coaching Wentz regressed majorly, and with Taylor a part of the offensive coaching brain trust the offense was the worst it has been under Doug.  

I'm at the point where if Doug and Howie are staying, then I'm fine promoting Taylor. Not because I think it makes football sense, but because this cluster F of an organization needs to truly hit rock bottom and beyond for Lurie to get his head out of his ass. I guess 2020 wasn't embarrassment enough for him. Maybe it needs to get worse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm at the point where if Doug and Howie are staying, then I'm fine promoting Taylor. Not because I think it makes football sense, but because this cluster F of an organization needs to truly hit rock bottom and beyond for Lurie to get his head out of his ass. I guess 2020 wasn't embarrassment enough for him. Maybe it needs to get worse.

Good point.  So promoting Taylor to OC should only serve as nails in the coffins of Howie and Doug.  Pure genius!  I completely change my position.   🤘🏻

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Good point.  So promoting Taylor to OC should only serve as nails in the coffins of Howie and Doug.  Pure genius!  I completely change my position.   🤘🏻

I'm also looking at it like this. If 2021 is as expected, another repeat of 2020, then we may as well let Taylor be a part of the housecleaning afterwards. It would suck to "accidentally" find a decent OC now only to have them get caught up in the mess that's about to take place, and going with every one else. Would rather a full staff, (minus maybe Stoutland) start anew.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm also looking at it like this. If 2021 is as expected, another repeat of 2020, then we may as well let Taylor be a part of the housecleaning afterwards. It would suck to "accidentally" find a decent OC now only to have them get caught up in the mess that's about to take place, and going with every one else. Would rather a full staff, (minus maybe Stoutland) start anew.

Yes!  I’m definitely on board with that plan.  Anything to move on finally from Howie (and Doug).  

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don't see us being a playoff team next year anyways. Too many holes to fill plus what will be a lot of roster turnover of veteran players to get under the cap. This could be the blessing in disguise that causes Jeff Lurie to finally wake up.

Although we would all love a legit OC candidate like Pep Hamilton or Jim Cardwell, are those guys even going to want to come here as an OC in title only? That literally was what Doug Pederson was in KC. Pederson thinks he's Andy Reid now after that SB win. Obviously I am grateful for 2017, but we can't deny the impact Frank Reich and John DeFilippo (sp?) had on our QBs that year.

If Lurie takes the same approach he did with Rhodes, Reid, and Kelly, he'll afford Pederson two consecutive non-playoff seasons before letting him go. We already got 2020 down. Now let's see if he sticks with the same approach or makes an exception because of the SB win?

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Additional coaching changes coming on defense other than Schwartz stepping down.  LB coach Ken Flajole also won’t return.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/08/report-eagles-parting-ways-with-linebackers-coach/

I'm glad Flajole is gone. He thought Gerry was good because he knew how to get defenders lined up and he felt that people were unfairly critiquing Gerry's play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

And all because he found the Philly Special Play from a couple of years prior that had been called by other teams prior to that.  They think he is a genius.

I mean there's no logical reason based on the results of the last couple of years why they should even keep that guy around. 

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Oh much much worse. Groh did a good job with the WRs in 2017 and was part of a successful team. 

The point that I don't see anyone making is that it is quite irrelevant who the coordinators are, or really who else Lurie and Roseman decide should be on an NFL coaching staff.       If the owner and a failing GM are making these decisions for a failing head coach, the situation is beyond dysfunctional and the organization is completely broken.

I don't understand what Lurie's motivations are here beyond pure loyalty to continue with the Roseman/Pederson charade.           The football team has regressed badly since the Super Bowl, both in terms of personnel and on-field results.          The cap situation is a nightmare, the QB situation is a total clusterf***k, and the lack of top end young talent is staggering.

This would be the perfect time for an organizational reset, a completely fresh start with high picks and a new set of eyes to possibly straighten out Wentz.         Instead, a decision will likely be made to dump a young QB that the organization was supposed to have been built around, and a man who has run the roster and cap into the ground will be charged with cleaning up the mess he created.           It's like allowing the arsonist to  put out the fire he set.

Given all this, whoever is selected for a position that will in essence emasculate what was the primary strength of the head coach Lurie decided to keep around seems even less useful than lipstick on a pig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

So Howie is still here?

That is the only question that should be on the minds of Eagles fans.           Because if the answer is yes, all of the rest is worse than blowing smoke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

The point that I don't see anyone making is that it is quite irrelevant who the coordinators are, or really who else Lurie and Roseman decide should be on an NFL coaching staff.       If the owner and a failing GM are making these decisions for a failing head coach, the situation is beyond dysfunctional and the organization is completely broken.

I don't understand what Lurie's motivations are here beyond pure loyalty to continue with the Roseman/Pederson charade.           The football team has regressed badly since the Super Bowl, both in terms of personnel and on-field results.          The cap situation is a nightmare, the QB situation is a total clusterf***k, and the lack of top end young talent is staggering.

This would be the perfect time for an organizational reset, a completely fresh start with high picks and a new set of eyes to possibly straighten out Wentz.         Instead, a decision will likely be made to dump a young QB that the organization was supposed to have been built around, and a man who has run the roster and cap into the ground will be charged with cleaning up the mess he created.           It's like allowing the arsonist to  put out the fire he set.

Given all this, whoever is selected for a position that will in essence emasculate what was the primary strength of the head coach Lurie decided to keep around seems even less useful than lipstick on a pig.

Well the potential silver lining of this approach is, if we make all of these changes this year and the team continues on it's 3 year downward trend in 2021, then perhaps Lurie will finally open  his eyes and realize greater changes are needed.  

22 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Letting contracts expire isn’t exactly the coaching changes I thought would happen

They don't have to pay coaches to sit home if their contracts expire. They do have to pay coaches - sometimes a LOT - to sit home if they're fired.