Coaches not returning: Manuel, Fipp, Staley, Taylor, Scangarello, Mornhinweg, Flajole

time2rock

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think Doug knows it, as well.  He is in over his head, is going to lose play calling, and has Howie choosing JJaw and Hurts over premium talent at areas of need.  This group of relationships has run it course.

And Howie can go, too.

It's amazing that Howie is surviving this. He needs to go

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I agree, but he may not in the end.  His drafting has been so bad that only a very few could overcome it. 

I wasn't always in this boat with dumping those guys, but an objective review shows that it should occur.  Doug has to own his staff and the record.  Howie has to own his roster design and the record.

The honeymoon of the SB is clearly over.  

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I swear to god Howie is Lurie's illegitimate son.....

37 minutes ago, jblah said:

i'm amazed that Press Taylor is still here. 

That's because Doug loves him (and could be one of the main reasons for this meeting).  Guessing Lurie doesn't have the same confidence in Taylor that Doug has.  

Doesnt matter who we have at coach, if Howie is the GM then....

Plus who wants to be the OC for this team if they cant call plays but get all the blame?

Who wants to be the Headcoach when you have to get approval to hire your coaching staff and have zero say on drafting players?

The eagles would be a team I would avoid if I was looking for NFL job.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That's because Doug loves him (and could be one of the main reasons for this meeting).  Guessing Lurie doesn't have the same confidence in Taylor that Doug has.  

Then Lurie should have just fired the guy like he fired the other guys. In fact Lurie should have fired the guy when he fired the other guys. 

19 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Plus who wanted to be the OC for this team if they cant call plays but get all the blame?

Who wants to be the Headcoach when you have to get approval to hire your coaching staff and have zero say on drafting players?

Agreed. None of this stuff is going to change. There were reports that the scouts told Howie to draft Jefferson in the first, and Chinn in the second. He ignored them on both counts. I remember when Chip wanted Howie to get him one of six players. Howie ignored him too. Chip wanted Howie gone, because Howie thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. He keeps making terrible draft mistakes the team has to try and overcome with broken down vets and bad contracts. Lurie has to get his experiment GM out the way.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Duce? All joking aside I agree. What’s so appealing about this job? A meddlesome owner with an untouchable GM who even when he’s demoted still finds a way to lurk about in the building? How about the lack of power to hire, control, and fire your own staff? At least you have to work with Howie’s stellar drafting right? On top of that you’re stuck with an injury prone roster of old talent and no cap space. 

Looks like next year is going to be a wash pretty much. All new staff with a bad cap situation. Recipe for disaster. I wonder if they go the Andy Reid route again and look at one of his assistant coaches.

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Plus who wants to be the OC for this team if they cant call plays but get all the blame?

It's hard to imagine the Eagles repeating that BS situation with any kind of established coach.  Remember, Doug was about 4th choice when he was hired .  Personally, I think Lurie gets that and will be done with the OJT candidates that require that level of "support".

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed. None of this stuff is going to change. There were reports that the scouts told Howie to draft Jefferson in the first, and Chinn in the second. He ignored them on both counts. I remember when Chip wanted Howie to get him one of six players. Howie ignored him too. Chip wanted Howie gone, because Howie thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. He keeps making terrible draft mistakes the team has to try and overcome with broken down vets and bad contracts. Lurie has to get his experiment GM out the way.

That draft would have been stellar, but you are 100% right.  It can't improve until Howie accepts that he "isn't smarter than everyone else."

19 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Looks like next year is going to be a wash pretty much. All new staff with a bad cap situation. Recipe for disaster. I wonder if they go the Andy Reid route again and look at one of his assistant coaches.

Please God no.  

Funny that Andy is an offensive guru, yet the offensive coaches that came up under him stink (Doug, Nagy).  It is those that coached on the defensive side (McDermott, Harbaugh, Rivera) that have had the most success.  

My thread is feeling lonely following the firing of Doug.  

:lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

My thread is feeling lonely following the firing of Doug.  

:lol:

Well, now it's probably easier to guess who stays. If the new HC is Duce maybe more stay. Outsider will clean house. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well, now it's probably easier to guess who stays. If the new HC is Duce maybe more stay. Outsider will clean house. 

New Coach: Ok group, listen up. If I call your name, that means Howie has said I can tell you to stick around...

• Haha 2

I think they either need to bring in a coach to bring Wentz back to his MVP-candidate level or go with a coach to support Hurts. If they go the Hurts route then a Greg Roman offense looks appealing. The OC in Buffalo looks appealing to nurture Wentz back. But that being said Doug should have been a good coach for Wentz, but they fell apart this season. I'm not sure what is going on. Also not happy with Howie being kept when his front office talent evaluation has been one of the worst in the league for years. Great at managing the cap and awful at evaluating players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yup.  I don't think it ends up being Staley in the end only because I think Lurie likely wants the offense to evolve (and continually evolve to stay ahead of the rest of the league).  Duce is more than likely not that guy.  Only real chance for him IMO is if he has a strong plan for how he will assemble a staff and has a creative, experienced OC in mind that he will allow to run that side and just focus on coaching the team overall from a higher level.  

So, this thread will likely end up covering all assistant coaches now so really no longer needed.  Was fun while it lasted!  :lol:

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

I'd take it, and I bet just with my knowledge from being a defensive player and coming on the EMB for advice I can make a better game plan and run a more productive offense each week then Doug did. :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I'd take it, and I bet just with my knowledge from being a defensive player and coming on the EMB for advice I can make a better game plan and run a more productive offense each week then Doug did. 🙂

I wouldn't take that bet because I'm pretty sure I'd lose! :lol:

Looks like Jeff Stoutland is gone and headed back to Alabama. That may be a bigger loss than losing Doug, especially with our aging o line, Mailata still growing and Dillard needing to progress this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Looks like Jeff Stoutland is gone and headed back to Alabama. That may be a bigger loss than losing Doug, especially with our aging o line, Mailata still growing and Dillard needing to progress this season.

I haven't heard the latest blurb out there, but Stoutland is still under contract. As far as I can tell, he's only preparing his next move if the new HC of the Eagles wants to bring someone else in instead. 

4 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Link?