Coaches not returning: Manuel, Fipp, Staley, Taylor, Scangarello, Mornhinweg, Flajole

time2rock

38 minutes ago, NOTW said:

From Lurie and the front office perspective think about the built in excuses and spin.  They did just win a championship in 2017, then made the playoffs 2 seasons after that.  They will chalk this up to 1 bad season and have to get it together next year.  They've been blaming injuries all year, COVID (despite every team facing that), they will now have new coordinators on both sides of the ball and other new position coaches.  

If they have a losing season next year and there is still turmoil at the QB position then Lurie might see the need and they can't call it a fluke 1 bad season.  

I dont think Lurie is that dumb. He knows 18 and 19 even though playoff years, were failures. He saw how bad the div was all 3 of these years and how we barely made the playoffs by pure luck, not having a good coached/drafted team. 

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I dont think Lurie is that dumb. He knows 18 and 19 even though playoff years, were failures. He saw how bad the div was all 3 of these years and how we barely made the playoffs by pure luck, not having a good coached/drafted team. 

Good offensive coaches who put players in positions to succeed along with some luck snagging FA late in Robinson, Long, and Blount that played out of their minds. They also had vets drafted by Reid playing really well before they started hitting the age wall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30686114/sources-doug-pederson-future-philadelphia-eagles-coach-shaky-ahead-meeting-owner-jeffrey-lurie%3fplatform=amp

Sources: Doug Pederson's future as Philadelphia Eagles coach shaky ahead of meeting with owner Jeffrey Lurie.

PHILADELPHIA -- Doug Pederson's status as Philadelphia Eagles head coach is not firm, and he could be out if owner Jeffrey Lurie is not confident about Pederson's vision for the team after they meet again soon, sources told ESPN.

Pederson and Lurie are expected to meet again early this week in Florida after discussions this past Tuesday did not go well, according to sources.

Lurie's concerns extend well beyond struggling quarterback Carson Wentz, according to sources, and there are a number of outstanding issues ranging from personnel to coaching staff outlook...

...While Pederson's fragile status does not necessarily focus around Wentz's issues, according to sources, his description when pressed about the team's offensive identity during one internal meeting with management was "troubling." His plan to address his coaching staff also lacked urgency, the sources added.

^^^^^

Oh wow.

If I am Lurie, one of my first questions to Doug is "why in the hell do you not utilize your most explosive Offensive player more??!!"

38 minutes ago, Moderator6 said:

Why it taking so long. Lurie gotta make a decision fast whatever it is. All the top candidates are getting interviewed now of Doug is indeed canned.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

From Lurie and the front office perspective think about the built in excuses and spin.  They did just win a championship in 2017, then made the playoffs 2 seasons after that.  They will chalk this up to 1 bad season and have to get it together next year.  They've been blaming injuries all year, COVID (despite every team facing that), they will now have new coordinators on both sides of the ball and other new position coaches.  

If they have a losing season next year and there is still turmoil at the QB position then Lurie might see the need and they can't call it a fluke 1 bad season.  

It blows my mind that there are rumors about Pederson but the guy primarily responsible for this dumpster fire isn't mentioned.      Talk about believing an oil change will fix a blown engine.

• Like 1

I'm starting to believe there is a real chance that Duce may move into the HC position. I think they may want to have more of a CEO type of HC that takes a back seat with play calling. It seems Doug may not be in agreement with Howie and Lurie on coaching changes. We also know they like to promote from within. This could also be why they aren't moving as fast as they should be on HC decisions. If Doug isn't willing to give up more control I'm certain Duce will be willing to step in and play that role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

He must see the dearth of top end young talent here, the kind you build perennial playoff teams and championship contenders around.          If he seriously believes that changing some assistants is the answer,  he's not nearly as smart as he gets credit for being.         

I'll say it again - these kinds of situations (the coach on the hot seat and the GM of a declining roster) never, ever end up well.         It simply becomes a countdown to the housecleaning that is inevitable.         

3 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I'm starting to believe there is a real chance that Duce may move into the HC position. I think they may want to have more of a CEO type of HC that takes a back seat with play calling. It seems Doug may not be in agreement with Howie and Lurie on coaching changes. We also know they like to promote from within. This could also be why they aren't moving as fast as they should be on HC decisions. If Doug isn't willing to give up more control I'm certain Duce will be willing to step in and play that role.

I'd love for Pederson to say "listen, as long as I'm the head coach I need to pick the coaches I'm going to work with endless hours all year" and dare Lurie to fire him.         Just the idea of Roseman having even a little say over assistant coaches literally makes me gag.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

They might have to go that route because a lot of aspiring HCs might not like the Eagles FO structure and Howie isn't going to want to give up personnel power.  But, they need to at least open up the job externally.  Duce wouldn't be in my top 5 candidates for the job.

Why does everyone feel that Duce is going to be this great head coach, or OC for that matter, I don’t get it. I mean I love Duce too but he has been nothing more than a RB coach for years now and I quite frankly question his use of them constantly. Can someone explain it to me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

Why does everyone feel that Duce is going to be this great head coach, or OC for that matter, I don’t get it. I mean I love Duce too but he has been nothing more than a RB coach for years now and I quite frankly question his use of them constantly. Can someone explain it to me.

To be honest, a few comments here is the only place I've ever seen or heard it seriously discussed.          Not sure if 'everyone' is on board with the idea.

Would it be a pipe dream to trade Doug? Say jets are dumb enough to bite? Maybe we get Lincoln Riley hahahaha

4 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

I don't know what you mean by everyone. I expect it would be a very questionable move, especially around here, if it was made. I certain didn't imply he would be a great HC. I just believe it seems to be very much in the realm of possibilities. I was not endorsing it.

Take this for what it’s worth, but a recent report claims Lurie still may fire Doug.  To summarize, if Lurie isn’t confident in Doug’s ability to call the offense or assemble a staff he may decide to move on.

https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/report-eagles-might-still-fire-doug-pederson

31 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I don't know what you mean by everyone. I expect it would be a very questionable move, especially around here, if it was made. I certain didn't imply he would be a great HC. I just believe it seems to be very much in the realm of possibilities. I was not endorsing it.

Sorry for using the term everyone, I just see Duce as OC or Duce as HC on here a lot and I just don’t get it.

27 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

I feel like I say this every offseason, but the guy has been in the room the last few years when the offense has had major issues. Either he doesn't have any good ideas to add or he doesn't have the leadership skills to get them out. 

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I feel like I say this every offseason, but the guy has been in the room the last few years when the offense has had major issues. Either he doesn't have any good ideas to add or he doesn't have the leadership skills to get them out. 

True but he has also been the only position coach to get the most out of his players and always seem to be prepared no matter what is going on. 

24 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Take this for what it’s worth, but a recent report claims Lurie still may fire Doug.  To summarize, if Lurie isn’t confident in Doug’s ability to call the offense or assemble a staff he may decide to move on.

https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/report-eagles-might-still-fire-doug-pederson

And I agree it's criminal to do it this late when other teams are getting a jump on interviews.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

And I agree it's criminal to do it this late when other teams are getting a jump on interviews.

Again still doesn't matter as long as Howie remains

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

True but he has also been the only position coach to get the most out of his players and always seem to be prepared no matter what is going on. 

True. I just think if he was the magic cure to the offense we'd have seen improvement by now. If he has those great ideas and couldn't even communicate them to others on the coaching staff I don't see him doing so as an effective OC. Maybe that's just me. I think they need perspective from an outside source.

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Again still doesn't matter as long as Howie remains

I agree, it doesn't. Just another black eye on the organization.

Just now, Diehardfan said:

True. I just think if he was the magic cure to the offense we'd have seen improvement by now. If he has those great ideas and couldn't even communicate them to others on the coaching staff I don't see him doing so as an effective OC. Maybe that's just me. I think they need perspective from an outside source.

Who knows this team is such a mess when it comes to structure and who decides what. I don't agree with some saying they need to go outside the organization, maybe in this case they do but, the great franchises promote within to keep the success going. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

If Lurie still has concerns after interviewing him, then he is denying the obvious. Doug needs to go. It shouldn't take this long to know whether or not his vision is compatible with Lurie's vision. If there any doubts, then the plug should've been pulled. It sounds to me like Lurie is trying to justify his own indecision.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliEagle said:

If Lurie still has concerns after interviewing him, then he is denying the obvious. Doug needs to go. It shouldn't take this long to know whether or not his vision is compatible with Lurie's vision. If there any doubts, then it the plug should've been pulled. It sounds to me like Lurie is trying to justify his own indecision.

I agree. I think if Lurie and Roseman have to dictate his coaching staff, then that alone should make the decision. I believe a coach should have full autonomy on his staff, and that can be one of the ropes used to hang himself.

• Like 2