Ertz trade talk

DBW

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know and I understand the situation and I'm all for getting what we can out of or for Ertz. I'll defend the season I he had though for a lot of reasons..... I came around on Wentz you won't get me to turn on Ertz you ****!!! Lol 

I’m not against Ertz actually. I understand he wants out and he’s doing his business side of things. I’m not against a guy who’s looking for more money especially if he outplayed his contract. With that being the case Ertz did not do that, but there was clear extenuating circumstances here. The Eagles would be fools to let Ertz go for nothing at this point. He’s going to show up and he’s going to play, because it’s in his own best interest to do so. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not against Ertz actually. I understand he wants out and he’s doing his business side of things. I’m not against a guy who’s looking for more money especially if he outplayed his contract. With that being the case Ertz did not do that, but there was clear extenuating circumstances here. The Eagles would be fools to let Ertz go for nothing at this point. He’s going to show up and he’s going to play, because it’s in his own best interest to do so. 

I believe he will too. He really hasn't said anything to indicate anything else. 

18 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I believe he will too. He really hasn't said anything to indicate anything else. 

Overall I blame Howie for all of this. He gives Ertz an extension and then proceeds to draft Goedert. Now both players are in their final year of their deals and the Eagles could potentially lose both of them. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall I blame Howie for all of this. He gives Ertz an extension and then proceeds to draft Goedert. Now both players are in their final year of their deals and the Eagles could potentially lose both of them. 

Me too, the thought was they drafted Goedert because he was the best player on the board and to replace Ertz. Instead Howie decided to continue to play games with Ertz instead of just moving on from him when he wanted more money which was coming off of his best season with the 116 catches. So the decision for Howie should of been either pay him what he wants or move on from him. Howie did neither he decided to stick it to him knowing Ertz had no leverage. 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:25 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Me too, the thought was they drafted Goedert because he was the best player on the board

Wasn't this the year the draft was in Dallas and didn't Howie stick it to the Cowgirls because they were going to draft him

6 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Wasn't this the year the draft was in Dallas and didn't Howie stick it to the Cowgirls because they were going to draft him

Yes it was something like that. I was trying to pretend that wasn't the major reason why they drafted him... 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:19 AM, EazyEaglez said:

There would be some poetic justice in that though it wouldn't do the team any favors.  Some more of [sarc]Howie's superior management[/sarc]

Are we still talking about Ertz?

Trade him already.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Just crazy to me the number of people (including the majority of the Philly media) who just want to let him go or take a 6th rounder for him. Yes last season was bad, but he's only 30 and was a 3 time pro bowler before that. He could put the Bills, Cardinals or Titans offense over the top. He'd be a great early security blanked for Lawrence or Wilson. 

Yes it would be good to get him off the books, but we don't need to do it. We are not going to get a second now, but should absolutely be looking for at least a 4th or conditional 3rd.

I say F it. Extend him. 3 years, fair to both sides $$. Trade Goedert. Look at a TE with one of the 938 draft picks we have in 2022. Rodgers is fully capable of handling whatever load Goedert leaves behind. 

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Just crazy to me the number of people (including the majority of the Philly media) who just want to let him go or take a 6th rounder for him. Yes last season was bad, but he's only 30 and was a 3 time pro bowler before that. He could put the Bills, Cardinals or Titans offense over the top. He'd be a great early security blanked for Lawrence or Wilson. 

Yes it would be good to get him off the books, but we don't need to do it. We are not going to get a second now, but should absolutely be looking for at least a 4th or conditional 3rd.

At some point you'd rather keep him on the team and roll the dice on a comp pick when he walks after the season. No reason to release him or take a 6th or a 7th.

5 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

At some point you'd rather keep him on the team and roll the dice on a comp pick when he walks after the season. No reason to release him or take a 6th or a 7th.

Yeah I mean the comp pick might not happen if we are more aggressive in free agency next year, but I would at least start the season with him if we are not getting any meaningful offers.

If the Eagles are competitive and he is playing well then you can let him play out. If we are not competitive and he is healthy, I suspect you get some half decent offers on or before the trade deadline. 

How long will Buffalo wait until that get desperate? 

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I mean the comp pick might not happen if we are more aggressive in free agency next year, but I would at least start the season with him if we are not getting any meaningful offers.

If the Eagles are competitive and he is playing well then you can let him play out. If we are not competitive and he is healthy, I suspect you get some half decent offers on or before the trade deadline. 

Eagles are still going to need additional cap space for the season.  They currently have 3.19 million in space.  Landon Dickerson has not signed his rookie deal, so that takes 1.57 million, and when the season starts and you add player 52 and 53, that is another 1.7 million.  That would have the Eagles over the cap, plus you have to account for any players placed on IR, and any mid season moves they make.   Eagles are going to have to move or cut Ertz before week 1.

I’m sure that if the Eagles needed to find $4-5m in cap space, they could push that amount into 2022 by restructuring someone…I have no doubt that Howie has his figures worked out to the dollar…

Not saying they will, just that it is another option if they don’t want to release Ertz (or trade him for peanuts)

8 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I’m sure that if the Eagles needed to find $4-5m in cap space, they could push that amount into 2022 by restructuring someone…I have no doubt that Howie has his figures worked out to the dollar…

Not saying they will, just that it is another option if they don’t want to release Ertz (or trade him for peanuts)

Yeah, lets continue the destruction of the 2022 cap situation.  

No saying it’s a good thing, but just pointing out that the Eagles don’t need to release/trade Ertz purely for ‘21 cap space if they don’t want to…

Heck, look at Howie’s M.O…moving cap into the future is basically his bread and butter! (it’s how we got here)…

I’d rather they didn’t, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there is at least 1 more (or possibly a couple) of restructures still on the cards…

9 hours ago, EagleTen said:

There are no easy restructures left, one potential way they could theoretically free up some money quickly is by extending Barnett to convert some of his salary this year into bonus, but I reckon Barnett's contract value on the open market would probably shake out around the Shaq Lawson, Stephon Tuitt, Carl Nassib level ($8.5 - $9million a year) so even best case it's not going to save a lot, plus given our cap situation and the fact his salary this year is fully guaranteed his agent is going to try to bump him up to a salary level his performance doesn't warrant. It makes more sense to leave Barnett as is, see how he does this season and if he breaks out they can tag him an negotiate at the end of the year, but if they don't lose Ertz salary then they will be forced to extend Barnett.

Any other restructures are going to involve adding further dummy years to already ridiculous contracts.  Ertz is the only saving where they walk away with no further commitments to get out of down the line.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Extremely weak first 10 games, picked up Emmanuel Sanders as a 4th option and Diggs/Allen have another year together. 

I'll say no time soon. 

Eagles are betting that Ertz does well the first couple games(I dont see it happening) and then trading him towards the trade deadline. 

But, My guess, he'll be cut. no one wants a 71 year old tight end who wants top 3 money. They Definitely don't want a older tight end, asking top dollar AND having to paying a ridiculous amount in draft capitol that the eagles are asking. 

Ertz could put Buffalo over the top. TE spot is arguably their biggest weakness on offense

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

There are no easy restructures left, one potential way they could theoretically free up some money quickly is by extending Barnett to convert some of his salary this year into bonus, but I reckon Barnett's contract value on the open market would probably shake out around the Shaq Lawson, Stephon Tuitt, Carl Nassib level ($8.5 - $9million a year) so even best case it's not going to save a lot, plus given our cap situation and the fact his salary this year is fully guaranteed his agent is going to try to bump him up to a salary level his performance doesn't warrant. It makes more sense to leave Barnett as is, see how he does this season and if he breaks out they can tag him an negotiate at the end of the year, but if they don't lose Ertz salary then they will be forced to extend Barnett.

Any other restructures are going to involve adding further dummy years to already ridiculous contracts.  Ertz is the only saving where they walk away with no further commitments to get out of down the line.

I'd really hate to add even more players with dummy years ... we have too many as it stands now.  In 2025 we already have 12 players with dummy years that will no longer be under contract:

Slay, Brooks, Elliott, Graham, Kelce, McLeod, Flacco, Kerrigan, Harris, Seumalo, Hargrave, Wilson.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

They put up 27 and close to 400 yards in the conference championship. They sign E-Sanders

They let up 38 and close to 500 yards of offense. 

Me thinks they should be more worried about a ILB (devin Bush) to stop Lamar/Mahomes)

Their defense is good. Mahomes can carve up just about any defense thrown his way.... with protection from the oline of course. Sanders is meh. He's your 3rd option at best

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

In overall offense I have Sanders as the 4th option. Exactly what Ertz would be. Run game/Allen's legs. Diggs, Beasley and then Sanders.

Why would you give up ANYTHING for the 4th(maybe 5th option)

We, as Philly people have and always will over value Ertz. 

Ertz is going to play 12 games, 50 catches, 500 yards. Basically grab someone off the trash heap 

It gives that offense another dimension and if you're the coaching staff you want Allen to use his legs as little as possible. Ertz would be a redzone threat for them as well. If Buffalo flips a 5th or 6th rd as TC nears, Howie will probably give in

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

In overall offense I have Sanders as the 4th option. Exactly what Ertz would be. Run game/Allen's legs. Diggs, Beasley and then Sanders.

Why would you give up ANYTHING for the 4th(maybe 5th option)

We, as Philly people have and always will over value Ertz. 

Ertz is going to play 12 games, 50 catches, 500 yards. Basically grab someone off the trash heap 

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

It gives that offense another dimension and if you're the coaching staff you want Allen to use his legs as little as possible. Ertz would be a redzone threat for them as well. If Buffalo flips a 5th or 6th rd as TC nears, Howie will probably give in

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

Their defense is good. Mahomes can carve up just about any defense thrown his way.... with protection from the oline of course. Sanders is meh. He's your 3rd option at best

If 2020 Ertz was the start of Ertz's decline and he is now a 500 yards receiver, then yes the Eagles will be lucky to get a 6th for him with that salary.

But if 2020 was just a bad year (and it could have been just that for a number of reasons) then the Eagles would be giving away a multi pro-bowl TE for nothing. I don't think Eagles fans are overvaluing Ertz, I think most are undervaluing him because of last year.

2017-2019 Ertz is the second option in the Bills passing game over Beasley and Sanders. Beasley is 32 and has gone over 800 yards only once. Sanders is 34 on the decline and injury prone.

Ertz is only 30. Teams are reluctant to give us what we want because of last year. That's why a conditional pick makes all the sense in the world. I'm hoping something gets done soon. If not it's in Ertz's interest to come in and play well. We deal him to a contender at the deadline and he gets to show off for what will be his last major contract.

35 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

If 2020 Ertz was the start of Ertz's decline and he is now a 500 yards receiver, then yes the Eagles will be lucky to get a 6th for him with that salary.

But if 2020 was just a bad year (and it could have been just that for a number of reasons) then the Eagles would be giving away a multi pro-bowl TE for nothing. I don't think Eagles fans are overvaluing Ertz, I think most are undervaluing him because of last year.

2017-2019 Ertz is the second option in the Bills passing game over Beasley and Sanders. Beasley is 32 and has gone over 800 yards only once. Sanders is 34 on the decline and injury prone.

Ertz is only 30. Teams are reluctant to give us what we want because of last year. That's why a conditional pick makes all the sense in the world. I'm hoping something gets done soon. If not it's in Ertz's interest to come in and play well. We deal him to a contender at the deadline and he gets to show off for what will be his last major contract.

Ertz was terrible last year, Goedert missed 5 games and only dropped ~80 yards and 12 receptions from his 2019 numbers, and actually improved his yards per game, Rodgers had the second best yardage season of his career,  Ertz dropped 580 yards and 50% of the passes thrown at him in the worst statistical season of his career, he stunk. You could pick up Tyler Eifert a boat load cheaper to give you what Ertz gave the Eagles last year.

We can't afford to wait until the trade deadline to trade him to a contender, everyone can talk about genius Howie but the fact is the last time we had this situationwhen everyone knew we were going to cut prime Desean Jackson if we couldn't trade him we ended up cutting him, well now everyone in the league knows we need cap space badly and Ertz is unhappy, it's going to end the same way.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, Godfather said:

Honestly, Buffalo would substainily better their team with Ertz, a reliable TE that can get open is what Allen needs come playoff time as I thought is his play slipped slightly in the playoffs.

Just think Mahomes without Kelce, not saying Ertz is as good as Kelce in all areas but I think they're on par as when it comes to getting open. 

Archived