ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

Many outstand players have fallen lower than the 2nd round.  Besides, we all know Howie always nails the draft.

Yes, Howie has royally screwed up drafts, but it has been for reasons that you have stated. Reaching for 2nd round picks in the 1st round. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'm complaining about giving up the 3rd, there was no need for you to bring all the other moves........just as with the FE, you can't figure out sheet.

Up yours Wussbrook!!

They are all part of an overall strategy and should be considered as a whole. I know macro concepts are foreign to you, but try. 

4 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Yes, Howie has royally screwed up drafts, but it has been for reasons that you have stated. Reaching for 2nd round picks in the 1st round. 

Exactly. Barmore at 12. Bwahahahaha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

At this point you'd be better off keeping your mouth shut and waiting to see the impact Barmore has.

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

They are all part of an overall strategy and should be considered as a whole. I know macro concepts are foreign to you, but try. 

Strategy?

Many holes to fill and you give up 3rd round picks?? 

Me no think so!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

Strategy?

Me no think so!

So your strategy is to not give up picks to move up for the better player, but remain still and reach on a 2nd round player in the 1st? Glad you aren't running the draft.

• Thanks 3

Just don't get the Barmore love. It is a thin DT class and if you compared Barmore to some of the talent in previous drafts it isn't even close. Why reach on a player of that talent in the 1st this year?

3 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Just don't get the Barmore love. It is a thin DT class and if you compared Barmore to some of the talent in previous drafts it isn't even close. Why reach on a player of that talent in the 1st this year?

Especially when he could be had with our 2nd 😁

I'd prefer a DB or even LB, but wouldn't hate a Barmore pick for us in the 2nd per se.

26 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

At this point you'd be better off keeping your mouth shut and waiting to see the impact Barmore has.

So I present to you solid points and you turn into a child. You may be a child so I would understand. But if you can't admit Barmore would be a reach at 12, you're hopeless. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

How the hell did a Devonte Smith thread get turned into a Wentz debate? FFS

It was more of a Hurts comparison thing actually. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah interceptions were pretty low until last year and even then it wasn't ridiculously high I don't think? But it was the fumbles, my god the fumbles. 

His picks wouldn’t have looked as bad if his touchdowns were up. Oh well he’s gone now.

42 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Strategy?

Me no think so!

Much rather have a first next year than a 3rd this year. You’re clown shoes bro. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

You gonna start crying now if Eagles don't take your boy here? Or are you gonna feel stupid when they do? 

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

It wasn't the pick, it was giving up the 3rd to get the pick, besides, I couldn't care less about what what most others were asking for..

get over it... just be mad at the 2nd round pick lmao

Are we being invade by butt-hurt Giants trolls?

Maybe Howie got Smith right...Maybe he will be injured as often as Jackson on the account of his light frame. But Someone, and I am convinced it is Lurie blew the second pick. So whatever points earned for trading down, were erased with the second pick.

I'm excited to see Devonta in an Eagles uniform, but let's not act like people are nitpicking by mentioning his size.  This isn't a matter of him being a few pounds too light or a little short on protein - at that weight he's a massive outlier at the position even when compared to guys 3-4 inches smaller than him.  There's really no precedent for a guy that thin going this high in the draft, and the fact that we had to give up valuable draft capital to a division rival in order to move up two spots makes it that much riskier.  The 84th pick might not seem like much, but we've seen guys like Chris Godwin, Kendall Fuller, and Jordan Hicks taken in that spot in recent years - if Golston ends up being good it will hurt that much more seeing him twice a year.

Obviously it helps to play alongside a first round back, a first round QB, at least two first round lineman, and another top ten receiver, but it also shouldn't be overlooked that Bama pays their OC more than most schools pay their coach, or that he spent four years in the most rigorous s&c program in America without picking up some muscle even by accident.  Save for Julio a million years ago, Bama receivers coming out have been a mixed batch at best.  Sure he put up ridiculous college numbers, but lots of guys have done that and still flopped in the NFL.  It's a whole different game and I just don't take too much from his senior year at Bama, where he was basically a grown man going against kids (it's of note that pretty much every top receiving prospect leaves after three years - he did not). 

Sorry for the negativity - just don't want to see the kid go flying into the sixth row the minute some vet DB puts his hands on him.  I'd also feel better if his college production hadn't taken off the minute our current QB got replaced.

5 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

I'm excited to see Devonta in an Eagles uniform, but let's not act like people are nitpicking by mentioning his size.  This isn't a matter of him being a few pounds too light or a little short on protein - at that weight he's a massive outlier at the position even when compared to guys 3-4 inches smaller than him.  There's really no precedent for a guy that thin going this high in the draft, and the fact that we had to give up valuable draft capital to a division rival in order to move up two spots makes it that much riskier. 

There's also no precedent for a guy his size absolutely dominating the SEC, coming up clutch for his team and setting all sorts of records. He dominated in the SEC against bigger guys, he's played his whole football life against bigger guys. He wins because he's got good range, he's an elite route runner, he's dynamic and elusive and he's fast. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Portyansky said:

So I present to you solid points and you turn into a child. You may be a child so I would understand. But if you can't admit Barmore would be a reach at 12, you're hopeless. 

Barmore Clearly was not worth a 12 th round pick. But we could have had him at 37!!!!! I was praying that Barmore was the second round Pick!.And Patriots picked him up right after us. Don't tell me he was not worth #37 because that kid is a beast.  Deja Vu! We got Reagor..but did not think Jefferson was the pick for us. JJ same thing. There is significant shortage of brains and football knowledge at the drafting helm.

4 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Maybe Howie got Smith right...Maybe he will be injured as often as Jackson on the account of his light frame. But Someone, and I am convinced it is Lurie blew the second pick. So whatever points earned for trading down, were erased with the second pick.

Jacksons injuries were never because of his light frame. They were mostly all soft tissue injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

Barmore Clearly was not worth a 12 th round pick. But we could have had him at 37!!!!! I was praying that Barmore was the second round Pick!.And Patriots picked him up right after us. Don't tell me he was not worth #37 because that kid is a beast.  Deja Vu! We got Reagor..but did not think Jefferson was the pick for us. JJ same thing. There is significant shortage of brains and football knowledge at the drafting helm.

We got the best C, actually o-lineman in the game. He will have 1 year to learn from Kelce, and work on his strength and conditioning. This kid is an absolute monster! They have given Hurts 2 familiar pieces to the puzzle.... the guy that gives him the ball and the guy Hurts gives the ball to.

Howie so far has absolutely nailed this draft.

44 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

We got the best C, actually o-lineman in the game. He will have 1 year to learn from Kelce, and work on his strength and conditioning. This kid is an absolute monster! They have given Hurts 2 familiar pieces to the puzzle.... the guy that gives him the ball and the guy Hurts gives the ball to.

Howie so far has absolutely nailed this draft.

Can he play LG? Depending on when he may be healthy to return he could potentially fill in at LG as he's probably an upgrade over Seumalo?

My excitement for this pick is extraordinary. This kid has the tangibles and intangibles to be the greatest WR in the history of our franchise. Cannot wait to see him play in Green.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can he play LG? Depending on when he may be healthy to return he could potentially fill in at LG as he's probably an upgrade over Seumalo?

Yes Landon can play G or C. Before taking him, their succession plan for Kelce was probably Seumalo to C and Herbig at G. Now it’s Seumalo stays put and Landon is your C. HUGE improvement in succession planning there. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He’s played everywhere on the offensive line. Also, Seumalo is a good player.