**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

41 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I agree.  I saw the full quote in all is context.  I still don't like it. 

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yup how i felt. Just don’t say anything about anyone else. Down the road bring that up and it wouldn’t nearly have been as bad as after game 7 performance. Frankly i think embiid was irritated about game 6 and that’s where it stems from. 

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup how i felt. Just don’t say anything about anyone else. Down the road bring that up and it wouldn’t nearly have been as bad as after game 7 performance. Frankly i think embiid was irritated about game 6 and that’s where it stems from. 

Yeah. He coould have said I need to be better. I think he even could have said, we all have to be better. As a team, they just lost. Its a given everyone needs to go to work and figure our how to take the next step.

But when he singles himself and Harden out as above all others and says we cant win alone, minimizing all of the work, and effort everyone else has put in to the season- thats about 10 steps too far. Ridiculous to go there. Disrespectful, and uncalled for.

And in reality, with him and Harden dribbling the air out of the basketball on every possession, its really hard for other guys to get involved.

• Like 1

Playoff loss aside, Embiid is likely not going to have a higher trade value down the road, coming off an MVP season. He's been on multiple rosters with a great supporting cast and still hasn't been able to make it to the ECF.

Unpopular opinion, but clean house with Coach Rivers, Embiid, and Harden and instead build around Tyrese Maxey and assets acquired from trading the above. 🤷🏽‍♂️

10 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Playoff loss aside, Embiid is likely not going to have a higher trade value down the road, coming off an MVP season. He's been on multiple rosters with a great supporting cast and still hasn't been able to make it to the ECF.

Unpopular opinion, but clean house with Coach Rivers, Embiid, and Harden and instead build around Tyrese Maxey and assets acquired from trading the above. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Agree.

They wont tear it down that completely, but Id be all for it.

Im fully ready for the Mac McClung show. 

22 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I am fine with cleaning house, but it’s not gonna happen. But I’m fine with it. But when people say we need to just build around Tyrese Maxey, like that’s gonna get you to an NBA title, I disagree that gets you one. I love Tyrese Maxey. He’s not a number one star. We would be fortunate if he was a number 2 star. So where are you getting the number one star from?

Because you don’t necessarily have your own drafted picks because of the Harden trade with the Nets. they got protections on them so if you’re really bad you’re gonna get those picks but if you’re mediocre those picks are going to the nets. Im Guessing the sixers don’t full on tank like last time and are mediocre 

if you trade embiid to a place like the Knicks or Miami you will get draft picks back. However, the picks you want are from like 2026 to 2030 where you hope they don’t have protections on them because by that point in time those two teams are likely going the other direction so they be good pics. knicks have multiple first round picks from other teams, but almost of them have protections on them that are not going to convey to being high first round draft picks to get that guy or even convey at all. Like the wizards pick has protections  and how bad they are it is highly likely they’re never gonna see it. It’s gonna be two second round picks. Pistons likely conveys in 2 years as a mid teens to early 20s. Maxey is about the only big hit of picks in that range the sixers have made. 

again, I love Tyrese Maxey but if we’re acting like building around Tyrese Maxey as the top guy is winning an NBA title, it’s a little ridiculous imo. if Damian Lillard wasn’t able to do it, and I think Damian Lillard was a better basketball player than Tyrese Maxey then the odds aren’t in your favor and you gotta find his Batman to his Robin. Which with the picks you acquire from dealing embiid unlikely to find it draft wise. Likely not bad enough to be picking high enough to get that superstar. So would have to be a trade with those assets and frankly you don’t necessarily have your own picks to throw away as assets due to the harden trade. the ones you get since embiid’s team is likely good don’t help and would need way future picks to be unprotected so need a dumb team like the twolves to accomplish it. 

my overall point is if you go the nuclear option and just build around maxey there’s a chance you are not good but not bad enough to get the guys you need. You could be stuck in a purgatory where you were with the iguodala, holiday sixers were 

53 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It wasn’t the kawhi shot that made me believe they weren’t ever going to win anything. It was the decision that they made after when they didn’t retain Jimmy Butler but went out and got Al Horford with the last of the cap space they had and signing Tobias Harris to the contract he got.

I will fully admit before that playoff run I figured they’d choose Tobias Harris over butler because he was younger and they didn’t want to get into a five year contract with Jimmy Butler, who might be done by the time they got to year 4 of that contract. However, when you saw how Jimmy Butler played during the playoffs, and what he meant, you had to re-sign him. You needed to retain Jimmy Butler. Once they did that you knew they were Fed. Because nobody was going to take Tobias Harris on that contract until he was an expiring contract and  Horford just didn’t fit. on top of that the analytics told you how Horford was on the decline and could only play center now. 

that to me is when i figured they weren’t winning a title. I did think they’d get to the ECF in 2021 cause they had an easy path but doc and sixers blew that series too. This year even up 3-2 i didn’t trust them. I only trust doc and the sixers when they actually complete their task at hand. 

I really don’t think doc was the biggest issue in this series. That said i do think mazz adjustments in game 6 killed the sixers and was a major turning point. That said, I also know if I want to get where I want to go Doc is not the guy who’s going to get me there. So why waste prime years of embiid with him. I don’t think he’s a good coach anymore. He’s mediocre. The only move he really made this entire playoffs was game 5. In that game he put Daniel house into the game and had guys like tucker/Harris cut when they came to double embiid or left to stop maxey/harden. That’s about the only thing he did.  His strategy even in the Nets series was that guys will just make shots. Said then it would get him later rounds of the playoffs cause they aren’t good enough to just rely on guys hitting shots and not embiid being embiid. You can’t coach that way. Boston eventually went with a similar strategy with the doubling (sometimes even tripling) to what the Nets did and had better horses to make it work

Failing to retain Butler was obviously a devastating misstep.  But I actually get it.  I don’t see it as choosing Harris over Butler.  I really don’t think they could have had Simmons and Butler co-exist together.

And at the time…ugh…that’s a tough call.  Ben Simmons may be the NBA’s laughingstock…but he was still considered one of the nba’s premier young talents.  They weren’t about to unload Simmons.

18 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Failing to retain Butler was obviously a devastating misstep.  But I actually get it.  I don’t see it as choosing Harris over Butler.  I really don’t think they could have had Simmons and Butler co-exist together.

And at the time…ugh…that’s a tough call.  Ben Simmons may be the NBA’s laughingstock…but he was still considered one of the nba’s premier young talents.  They weren’t about to unload Simmons.

Their bigger issue was that they gave Al Horford the contract they did. You could’ve had two or three guys instead. The depth and roster would’ve been better. He was not a good fit from the start. That was the last time they were going to have significant cap space with cap space that you created. Al Horford turned into Danny Green and loss of the first round pick, which, then also turned into melton. Horrible signing on a number of levels. 

My issue was always  Brown was gonna be on the coaching hotseat in 2019-2020. People were growing frustrated with Ben Simmons not shooting. So there was a chance that boiled over within the next year or two. Heck they were discussing trading kawhi for him and brand told ownership he’d trade Ben Simmons. I would’ve just given Butler the 5th year Max and brought him back and see what happens in a year and if we’re in a situation that’s really bad I can trade ben at that point, or Jimmy Butler and get more than what I got. Ben was never leaving money on the table with an extension that only the sixers could offer 

we were gonna fire Brett Brown if they didn’t get to the Eastern conference finals the next year anyway. the fact they let him make decisions that offseason was such a stupid decision by ownership. Also can tell you because I know somebody that i trust that was in that organization at that time the Sixers did not want to offer Jimmy Butler 5 year max. They didn’t think he would hold up and they didn’t think he would be good for the team. They got it wrong. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Trading Embiid is tricky.  I don’t know how a trading partner could ever come to fruition.  

Id think a bad to slightly below average team isn’t going to mortgage the farm for Embiid…they’ve seen at this point that Embiid isn’t going to carry them anyway.

An already really good team?  They’d all LOVE to add Embiid.  But what assets can they offer?  And even if they could scrounge up something semi-appealing, why would any 76ers GM/president stick their neck out there for that deal…to send Embiid to a good team so he can go win a title as their #2?  That’s a great way to get fired.

Id love to trade Embiid for a real asset to transition to a new era; I just don’t think the opportunity exists.  So I figure we might as well enjoy watching him while he’s here.

48 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Trading Embiid is tricky.  I don’t know how a trading partner could ever come to fruition.  

Id think a bad to slightly below average team isn’t going to mortgage the farm for Embiid…they’ve seen at this point that Embiid isn’t going to carry them anyway.

An already really good team?  They’d all LOVE to add Embiid.  But what assets can they offer?  And even if they could scrounge up something semi-appealing, why would any 76ers GM/president stick their neck out there for that deal…to send Embiid to a good team so he can go win a title as their #2?  That’s a great way to get fired.

Id love to trade Embiid for a real asset to transition to a new era; I just don’t think the opportunity exists.  So I figure we might as well enjoy watching him while he’s here.

It’d probably have to be a creative 3 or 4 team trade for 76ers to get value

25 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am fine with cleaning house, but it’s not gonna happen. But I’m fine with it. But when people say we need to just build around Tyrese Maxey, like that’s gonna get you to an NBA title, I disagree that gets you one. I love Tyrese Maxey. He’s not a number one star. We would be fortunate if he was a number 2 star. So where are you getting the number one star from?

Because you don’t necessarily have your own drafted picks because of the Harden trade with the Nets. they got protections on them so if you’re really bad you’re gonna get those picks but if you’re mediocre those picks are going to the nets. Im Guessing the sixers don’t full on tank like last time and are mediocre 

if you trade embiid to a place like the Knicks or Miami you will get draft picks back. However, the picks you want are from like 2026 to 2030 where you hope they don’t have protections on them because by that point in time those two teams are likely going the other direction so they be good pics. knicks have multiple first round picks from other teams, but almost of them have protections on them that are not going to convey to being high first round draft picks to get that guy or even convey at all. Like the wizards pick has protections  and how bad they are it is highly likely they’re never gonna see it. It’s gonna be two second round picks. Pistons likely conveys in 2 years as a mid teens to early 20s. Maxey is about the only big hit of picks in that range the sixers have made. 

again, I love Tyrese Maxey but if we’re acting like building around Tyrese Maxey as the top guy is winning an NBA title, it’s a little ridiculous imo. if Damian Lillard wasn’t able to do it, and I think Damian Lillard was a better basketball player than Tyrese Maxey then the odds aren’t in your favor and you gotta find his Batman to his Robin. Which with the picks you acquire from dealing embiid unlikely to find it draft wise. Likely not bad enough to be picking high enough to get that superstar. So would have to be a trade with those assets and frankly you don’t necessarily have your own picks to throw away as assets due to the harden trade. the ones you get since embiid’s team is likely good don’t help and would need way future picks to be unprotected so need a dumb team like the twolves to accomplish it. 

my overall point is if you go the nuclear option and just build around maxey there’s a chance you are not good but not bad enough to get the guys you need. You could be stuck in a purgatory where you were with the iguodala, holiday sixers were 

Maxey could put up pretty big numbers on a losing team if he were featured like the young players in the early part of the process.  

Just now, eagle45 said:

Maxey could put up pretty big numbers on a losing team if he were featured like the young players in the early part of the process.  

Which is nice but he’s never gonna be the no. 1 guy on a championship team. I think if he’s your no. 1 guy then you are likely right back in the iggy and holiday teams. 

36 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The timing of the coach hiring/firing is what likely lead to that horrible decision.

It was already pretty apparent that Ben hadnt improved in about 3 years by that time. But Brett Brown had just been fired, Doc was pegged as a guy who gets the most out of his veteran players. So you knew he was going to want to give it a go with Simmons. So Butler was out.

12 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

The timing of the coach hiring/firing is what likely lead to that horrible decision.

It was already pretty apparent that Ben hadnt improved in about 3 years by that time. But Brett Brown had just been fired, Doc was pegged as a guy who gets the most out of his veteran players. So you knew he was going to want to give it a go with Simmons. So Butler was out.

Brett brown was still the coach at that point for another year when butler decision was made. Brown got fired after 2020 in august after the bubble when horford and tobias were already locked into long term deals. The butler decision was made 2019 offseason and was made the same offseason they decided to sign horford and extend Harris and leaked how much they loved thybulle on draft night. The issue was the sixers had to know Brett brown was on the hot seat so why was he and brand (no experience) given so much power to make those type of decisions.  This also goes back to Joshua Harris is a **** owner that doesn’t know wtf he’s doing 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brett brown was still the coach at that point for another year when butler decision was made. Brown got fired after 2020 in august after the bubble when horford and tobias were already locked into long term deals. The butler decision was made 2019 offseason and was made the same offseason they decided to sign horford and extend Harris and leaked how much they loved thybulle on draft night. The issue was the sixers had to know Brett brown was on the hot seat so why was he and brand (no experience) given so much power to make those type of decisions.  This also goes back to Joshua Harris is a **** owner that doesn’t know wtf he’s doing 

oh I misremember then.

I thought there was some situation where having a new coach screwed us in to suffering through Ben an extra year. 

Maybe we just hoped to trade him, or not extend him or something, but we still kept him another year after the Doc hire. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

oh I misremember then.

I thought there was some situation where having a new coach screwed us in to suffering through Ben an extra year. 

Maybe we just hoped to trade him, or not extend him or something, but we still kept him another year after the Doc hire. 

The two issues that were made public was brett brown didn’t exactly love jimmy’s demenaor and attitude thought it would be hurtful with the young guys on the team and butler wasn’t exactly thrilled with brown. And Ben Simmons didn’t love playing off the ball and wanted to have the ball in his hands otherwise he wouldn’t sign his rookie extension. I call BS on that cause no one was able of giving him that type of money.  

On 5/15/2023 at 8:32 AM, Blazehound said:

If I had to guess what’ll happen, to keep attendance (which is the main concern for Harris) they’ll likely give Harden a two year extension, fire Doc and trade Harris for role player parts and try to repackage and resell this team into a contender. 

I don’t agree with it, but that’s my guess. 

I fear you are correct.

19 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Harris sucks. He is the biggest issue.

Which Harris? 🤣

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Bottom line- Embiid has blamed someone other than HIMSELF for every playoff exit. But THIS time, we can all see it clearly. Embiid is just NOT a playoff player, he doesn't have playoff fire, and when someone punches the "bully" in the nose- he backs the F down. Stupid Al Horford was in Embids grille all series and owned him. The Raptors did the same. The Heat did the same, and on and on and on. Embiid can beat on regular season teams that can't match up with him and grab an "MVP" for HIMSELF, but in the playoffs, EVERY coach knows EMBIID is the 76ers main weakness. Go punch him in the nose and double him, and he will fold like a tent. EVERY F ING YEAR this works. I hate this guy now. HE is the 76ers liability. 

Here is how Embiid plays in the playoffs... sloooowwwww, he gets the ball.... waits 10 f ing seconds to try to think of a move (while his team mates stand around yawning).... puts the ball on the floor as if he is a guard, and promptly has the ball stripped away and stolen by a double team. I saw that so much in the 1st half, that I shut the f ing tv off and went Onewheel riding the rest of the day. I KNEW he was going to be sheeiiit all day long. I am done with this fraud. But I am screwed- because they will keep him and that bum Harden, so I won't be watching next year. A new coach isn't going to help Embiid. Embiid is NOT a playoff player. Like Draymond Green said "The playoffs aren't for everybody." Embiid is one of them. 280 pound pile of 💩.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, iladelphxx said:

What a ****ot.... 

FB_IMG_1684112250384.jpg

Yup- I ALWAYS watch tv from 30,000 feet away.