**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

Source confirms the Sixers list of candidates to be their new head coach includes Mike D’Antoni (who worked with Daryl Morey and James Harden in Houston), Mike Budenholzer, Nick Nurse, Frank Vogel, Monty Williams, Sam Casell.

They are leaning towards Mike D’Antoni

Who do YOU want??

15 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Source confirms the Sixers list of candidates to be their new head coach includes Mike D’Antoni (who worked with Daryl Morey and James Harden in Houston), Mike Budenholzer, Nick Nurse, Frank Vogel, Monty Williams, Sam Casell.

Who do YOU want??

Posted this in the other thread, but my order would be this

Monty Williams - He was an assistant here under Brown. Pretty sure it was the Butler/Raptors season and was largely responsible for their defensive play which from memory was quite good that season. He has worked within the organisation and Embiid played well within his defensive system. I'd give him the tick as first choice

Nick Nurse - He was good enough to get that Raptors team over the hump with Kawhi and seemed to be pretty good with his in game adjustments. This year was a disaster for him but it may have been a perfect storm. He is one that may be able to maximise the roster

Cassell - He has been a huge in the development of Maxey, it feels like the players love him, but he may be better as a development guy than a head coach and not fit the profile of the roster and where they are at.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What he's saying is exactly what I've seen, especially in the playoffs. There are never any designed plays to get a guy a good look on a last second shot. There are no adjustments. The Celtics changed to a bigger lineup and we never adjusted to it for example. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mat said:

Monty Williams - He was an assistant here under Brown. Pretty sure it was the Butler/Raptors season and was largely responsible for their defensive play which from memory was quite good that season. He has worked within the organisation and Embiid played well within his defensive system. I'd give him the tick as first choice

Nick Nurse - He was good enough to get that Raptors team over the hump with Kawhi and seemed to be pretty good with his in game adjustments. This year was a disaster for him but it may have been a perfect storm. He is one that may be able to maximise the roster

Cassell - He has been a huge in the development of Maxey, it feels like the players love him, but he may be better as a development guy than a head coach and not fit the profile of the roster and where they are at.  

Nick Nurse looks like a great X's and O's guy and has made good adjustments in the playoffs. He does all of the things that Doc doesn't do. He'd be my first choice, but Monty would also be a solid choice for the reasons you mentioned. 

• Like 2

Mike Budenholzer is my guy. Nobody else comes close.

W- 484
L- 317
Winning pct: .604

Season Lg Award
2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year
2014-15 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (December)
2014-15 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January)
2018-19 NBA Coach of the Year
2018-19 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January)
2018-19 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (February)
2018-19 NBA NBCA Coach of the Year Award (April)
2019-20 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (December)
2019-20 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (February)
2019-20 NBA NBCA Coach of the Year Award (August)
2022-23 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (Feb
  • Haha 1

Nurse, Monty, and Vogel less so, seem like the best options. GTFO with MDA. Never that guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Mike Budenholzer is my guy. Nobody else comes close.

W- 484
L- 317
Winning pct: .604

Season Lg Award
2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year
2014-15 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (December)
2014-15 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January)
2018-19 NBA Coach of the Year
2018-19 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January)
2018-19 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (February)
2018-19 NBA NBCA Coach of the Year Award (April)
2019-20 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (December)
2019-20 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (February)
2019-20 NBA NBCA Coach of the Year Award (August)
2022-23 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (Feb

Are you serious? 

23 minutes ago, Mat said:

This ^^

Happy Wembanyama Day to other teams and Happy Glenn-Is-Gone Day to us! :rock:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Are you serious? 

I just looked up the 2014-2015 season, the Hawks were swept by the Cavs in the conference finals :lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Are you serious? 

Yes I am serious. I rest my case:

Mike Budenholzer- .604

Sam Cassell- .000- No NBA Head coaching experience

Mike D’Antoni- .560

Nick Nurse-.  582

Frank Vogel- .557

Monty Williams- .522

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mat said:

I just looked up the 2014-2015 season, the Hawks were swept by the Cavs in the conference finals :lol:

Did you look up the 2021 championship as well? Nope- you just want to be stupid, and that's fine- you're doing a good job of it.🤣💩🤡

Just now, Talonblood said:

Mike Budenholzer- .604

Sam Cassell- .000

Mike D’Antoni- .560

Nick Nurse-.  582

Frank Vogel- .557

Monty Williams- .522

Playoffs for Bud

2013-2014 - Lost in first round 4-3 to the Pacers

2014-2015 - Swept in conference finals by the Cavs (Hawks were the 1 seed)

2015-2016 - Swept in 2nd round by the Cavs

2016-2017 - Lost 4-2 in first round to the Wizards (a team with a 49-33 record)

2018-2019 - Lost in conference finals 4-2 to the Raptors (Bucks were the 1 seed)

2019-2020 - Lost 4-1 to the Heat in 2nd round (Bucks were the 1 seed)

2020-2021 - Champions

2021-2022 - Lost to Celtics in second round 4-3

2022-2023 - Lost to Heat in first round 4-1 (Bucks were the one seed)

8 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Did you look up the 2021 championship as well? Nope- you just want to be stupid, and that's fine.

Just posted them all. The dude is basically Doc Rivers but sure. The one year he won the championship they had a stacked roster, almost lost to KD on his own and played the Hawks in the Conference Finals because of Rivers/Simmons. The Suns were up 2-0 before their own capitulation to lose 4-2. The Bucks were also going to fire him that season and the title bought him two more seasons for them to underperform in the playoffs. 

I don't really care who the HC is. They need better players. 

Who can they trade Harden to? 

Who can they trade Tobias Harris too. That would go along way to freeing up cap space and signing other talented free agents and hopefully some first round picks too.

• Haha 1

Bud was still the coach for two more years because of this or would have been fired. 

kd-ine.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mat said:

Just posted them all. The dude is basically Doc Rivers but sure. The one year he won the championship they had a stacked roster, almost lost to KD on his own and played the Hawks in the Conference Finals because of Rivers/Simmons. The Suns were up 2-0 before their own capitulation to lose 4-2. The Bucks were also going to fire him that season and the title bought him two more seasons for them to underperform in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Are you serious? 

So who is your guy? No need to attach my choice.

45 minutes ago, Mat said:

That title. Yeah- just win US one title. That's all that matters right about now. Nurse would be ok- maybe he can whine to the officials FOR us. 🤣

1 hour ago, Mat said:

2014-2015.... get real. It's 2023.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Yes I am serious. I rest my case:

Mike Budenholzer- .604

Sam Cassell- .000- No NBA Head coaching experience

Mike D’Antoni- .560

Nick Nurse-.  582

Frank Vogel- .557

Monty Williams- .522

He couldn't figure out that Jimmy Butler is good at basketball and to double team him. That's why he was fired. He's a lot like Doc. 

8 minutes ago, Gannan said:

He couldn't figure out that Jimmy Butler is good at basketball and to double team him. That's why he was fired. He's a lot like Doc. 

He is worse than Doc

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

So who is your guy? No need to attach my choice.

Frank Vogel, Kenny Atkinson, Cassell (if he brings a vet coach with him) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Bud was still the coach for two more years because of this or would have been fired. 

kd-ine.jpg

Yeah bud would’ve been fired that year if KD didn’t wear his shoes one size larger then he needed too. Bud tends to have the same issues Doc. He doesn’t adjust very well to what his opponent is doing. Go look at this year’s series vs. Miami. He got Giannis back and butler was just destroying them. Holiday isn’t big enough to slow down butler. The adjustment that should’ve been made was putting Giannis with his size and length on butler and/or doubling butler once Herro got hurt. Yet Giannis barely guarded him after he came back in that series and even before he got hurt. Heck go to the year they won the title, the nets had harden and kyrie get hurt. And harden came back and could barely move. Yet bud refused to have Giannis guard KD and make KD be more of a distributor knowing he was the nets only threat. 

bud is super fortunate the nets in 2021 had the injuries and KD’s foot was on the line otherwise he was getting fired then. 

that said i tend to think the sixers hire D’antoni. That’s who for past couple years there’s been smoke around. Frankly they aren’t winning crap with him and his offense doesn’t really fit embiid or harden at this stage of their career. I wouldn’t remotely hire him. He is basically a different version of doc  

I like Cassell but they are never gonna hire a guy without any experience. Need a coach with good X’s and O’s. In a series like what they had against the Celtics where you’re the underdog and not as talented you need somebody who is good enough at x’s & o’s to get you a little bit more out of your guys. 

living here in Arizona there’s a couple things that make me hesitate with Monty Williams. There were issues in that locker room with Monty Williams and a couple of those players. It wasn’t just ayton from what I’ve been told. Some other players weren’t happy and part of the reason he was let go. Also, suns over the last two playoff runs lacked any type of counter adjustments in series to what their opponent was doing. It’s why the mavs were able to comeback and upset them. really besides Booker going bananas for two games the nuggets were able to handily win their 4 games by 18, 10, 16 and 25. Granted the suns didn’t have a great bench and CP3/ayton got hurt in that series. But then again Monty Williams didn’t trust guys his guys off the bench like Warren and Ross who were brought in to be main bench guys. Heck those two would’ve really helped the sixers.