**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

I feel like Harris is going to have to (whether he should or shouldn't I have no clue) make some sort of statement move for this team.  Devils, Sixers, Commanders...with a stake in a premier league team.  At this point, this is someone who is in multiple fantasy leagues.    Hard to sell yourself to fans like that, especially in Philadelphia....now that the Sixers are a distant second as his most valuable pro-sports asset.  There's got to be some pressure to do something to assert that he's at least pretending to be all-in.

17 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

What a ****ot.... 

FB_IMG_1684112250384.jpg

Didn't the Sixers sweep his team while he sat on that same couch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Ive been saying it since before they gave him the super max. At the time, it seemed like you had to take the gamble, but it was one that appeared to me, destined to fail. Hes a regular season player. Hes never healthy for playoffs. And he lacks leadership. He has no killer instinct himself, and he doesnt demand it of his teammates. He only cares about individual accolades. 

They extended him. He gave us a few incredible regular seasons. This year he had the knee injury, supposedly, but magically became better and played as soon as he won that award, and seemed pretty unphased by his knee. He was as healthy as he is ever been in a post-season, and he stunk. 

Its time to trade him.  Along with letting Harden walk. And trading Harris.

Rebuild the stock of draft picks. This thing has to be blown up. Includes Doc, obviously. As well as Morey who continues to be horrible. Has done nothing good since he traded for Harden in Houston. Hes been riding on reputation ever since then.

Blow the whole thing up.

You mean a GM who couldn't win in Houston didn't deserve the job?

A player who couldn't win in his prime couldn't win fat and out of shape? 

Such great ideas I have no idea how they didn't work.

7 minutes ago, Paul852 said:

Didn't the Sixers sweep his team while he sat on that same couch?

Like he cares he is getting free money 

I always enjoy summer league, so I can get excited for a team starting Springer, Maxey, and Milton next year with McClung and Melton off the bench.

McClung will be fun to watch pop off for big games on random nights. Milton gave a great stretch of nearly triple double averages while we dealt with numerous injuries this year. During that time, Melton shined brightest as well.

That group, with starters minutes will show warts, but will also provide a lot of excitement. And keep it cheap till we can do something big again.

54 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I feel like Harris is going to have to (whether he should or shouldn't I have no clue) make some sort of statement move for this team.  Devils, Sixers, Commanders...with a stake in a premier league team.  At this point, this is someone who is in multiple fantasy leagues.    Hard to sell yourself to fans like that, especially in Philadelphia....now that the Sixers are a distant second as his most valuable pro-sports asset.  There's got to be some pressure to do something to assert that he's at least pretending to be all-in.

I’ve been of the belief he’s trying to get that stadium built so that when embiid and the process era completely is over and they are bad he can sell the franchise with a new state of the art arena and to try and maximize the value still. If he’s stuck renting at the WFC he doesn’t maximize the sale. Harris has and will always be about money so whatever is the best way he can put money in his pocket he’ll do it. So keep embiid until he asks to be dealt cause they’ll be just good enough to win a round and when he asks out then he has the stadium being built that can make the sale of the team worth it to him. 

The big fail and nail in the coffin for "The Process" was letting Butler go and ending up with aging Harden instead.

edit: btw - I blame @Dave Moss

• Like 1

Jj taking a shot at doc 

Maybe Lillard in Philly just became even less likely. 

10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Dame time

So what’s the consensus with Harden next season? I can’t imagine he wants to come back here.

Does he opt out? Is a sign and trade possible?

14 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

So what’s the consensus with Harden next season? I can’t imagine he wants to come back here.

A sign and trade is only possible if he is looking to extract every last dollar out of his contract with Houston.

We would have his bird rights so can pay him more. 

For that to be possible,  Houston would have to think he is worth the super max. Unlikely. 

And he would be forcing his next team to weaken its roster on order to trade for him. 

So very selfish move in both regards if that's what he does. 

More likely,  he becomes a regular free agent and signs with them.  We get nothing.  And it doesn't free any cap space either.  We would still be over the cap. 

• Like 1

What Are The Next Steps For Philadelphia?

The 76ers have managed their cap situation relatively well. If James Harden opts out of his contract and leaves as a free agent, the 76ers have enough movable pieces to create enough space to sign a replacement. Given Harden's production level in the playoffs, the 76ers can easily replace him by giving Tyrese Maxey a bigger role and adding another rotational guard for some versatility.

The team will likely cut Dewayne Dedmon and get $4.5 million off the books next season due to his non-guaranteed contract. The 76ers can also trade Tobias Harris's contract, as it is expiring and could be of value to some tanking and under-the-cap teams. If the 76ers throw in a pick or two, they can hope to replicate what the Lakers did in terms of adding multiple players for the cost of Russell Westbrook's contract. 

Embiid shouldn't have sold his team out but there will be likely changes around the squad in the summer, which will likely include the departure of Harden, but it could be for the betterment of the team itself. 

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

This year is pretty inarguably the healthiest we have seen him in the playoffs. It doesnt appear that his ineffectiveness in this series was due to any sort of physical ailment. He didnt limp. Didnt look de-conditioned. Even got rid of the brace. Had the bounce to be a rim protector...

The fact that he played a bunch and won MVP, while he has been injured during major load management seasons pretty much kills the arguments. 

Its about time to stop making excuses for the guy. 

it's not an excuse for embiid. it's a fact....and it's the only way they can possibly win in the playoffs with him. he can't carry the team's scoring load because it wears him down. 

5 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

What Are The Next Steps For Philadelphia?

The 76ers have managed their cap situation relatively well. If James Harden opts out of his contract and leaves as a free agent, the 76ers have enough movable pieces to create enough space to sign a replacement. Given Harden's production level in the playoffs, the 76ers can easily replace him by giving Tyrese Maxey a bigger role and adding another rotational guard for some versatility.

The team will likely cut Dewayne Dedmon and get $4.5 million off the books next season due to his non-guaranteed contract. The 76ers can also trade Tobias Harris's contract, as it is expiring and could be of value to some tanking and under-the-cap teams. If the 76ers throw in a pick or two, they can hope to replicate what the Lakers did in terms of adding multiple players for the cost of Russell Westbrook's contract. 

Embiid shouldn't have sold his team out but there will be likely changes around the squad in the summer, which will likely include the departure of Harden, but it could be for the betterment of the team itself. 

I don’t see how they can significantly improve next season given the cap constraints and lack of future draft capital. If Harden walks, is the MLE available? If so, between that and trading Harris for useful role players, maybe you tread water or perhaps improve marginally, but not enough to win a championship IMO. 

I know they won’t, but Embiid’s value will never be higher in a trade. 

30 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

i think the only way he stays is if the front office basically lets he & jojo pick the next coach. otherwise, i think (hope) he walks. 

you have to see what's available but i'd lean towards keeping embiid & maxey only...everyone else is expendable...with glenn, tobias, & harden being the guys i really want to see gone. 

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

I don’t see how they can significantly improve next season given the cap constraints and lack of future draft capital. If Harden walks, is the MLE available? If so, between that and trading Harris for useful role players, maybe you tread water or perhaps improve marginally, but not enough to win a championship IMO. 

I know they won’t, but Embiid’s value will never be higher in a trade. 

it's really difficult to predict. who would've thought the lakers could get a bunch of useful players for westbrook. as for embiid...i won't shed any tears if they move him but i don't see it happening unless he's asking for a trade behind the scenes. i don't see him winning a championship unless he does some ring chasing & joins an already established team to help put them over the top. 

15 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

it's not an excuse for embiid. it's a fact....and it's the only way they can possibly win in the playoffs with him. he can't carry the team's scoring load because it wears him down. 

The problem with calling it a fact is that its already been disproven. Its now just a myth.

If I had to guess what’ll happen, to keep attendance (which is the main concern for Harris) they’ll likely give Harden a two year extension, fire Doc and trade Harris for role player parts and try to repackage and resell this team into a contender. 

I don’t agree with it, but that’s my guess. 

1 minute ago, Blazehound said:

If I had to guess what’ll happen, to keep attendance (which is the main concern for Harris) they’ll likely give Harden a two year extension, fire Doc and trade Harris for role player parts and try to repackage and resell this team into a contender. 

I don’t agree with it, but that’s my guess. 

Probably the most likely outcome.

If they were to fire Doc, new coach likely wants to keep Embiid.

Also, if Embiid and Harden got their pick, youre likely suffering through a D'Antoni era next.

11 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

it's really difficult to predict. who would've thought the lakers could get a bunch of useful players for westbrook. as for embiid...i won't shed any tears if they move him but i don't see it happening unless he's asking for a trade behind the scenes. i don't see him winning a championship unless he does some ring chasing & joins an already established team to help put them over the top. 

Yeah. Embiid either here or on his next team has to accept a secondary or tertiary role. 

He already spoke about maybe needing to improve his ball handling. Hes going in completely the wrong direction with this. He needs to learn and accept that he is a 1 dribble and shoot player. Last thing he needs is to do more ball handling.

He wont win until he stops slowing an offense down and allowing double and triple teams to come force him in to errors.

For us, we are never going to get a player that convinces Embiid he is #2 on the team.

He needs to go to a place like Dallas with Doncic, or GSW with Curry or something like that...

Hypothetical question-

We almost surely can not get the #1 pick in this draft for Embiid. Wembanyama is a generational type prospect.

But would you trade Embiid for Holmgren? Would OKC do it?

Giddy, Shai-G, Jalen Williams, and Embiid.

Maybe theyd prefer to be patient and wait for Holmgren to come along as a "rookie" coming off hsi foot injury, but Embiid accelerates that team in to a contender right now. 

Embiid for Holmgren, Dort, and Robinson-Earl works.